Start by marking “Faith, Hope, Love” as Want to Read:
Faith, Hope, Love

Faith, Hope, Love

This volume, three separate books in one edition, is a collection of Josef Pieper's famous treatises on the three theological virtues of Faith, Hope, and Love. Each of these treatises was originally published as a separate work over a period of thirty-seven years, and here they are brought together in English for the first time. The first of the three that he wrote, On Hop ...more
Published March 1st 1997 by Ignatius Press

To ask other readers questions about Faith, Hope, Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faith, Hope, Love

John
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Pieper is an outstanding linguist as he clearly defines with laser-precision the definition and meanings of words such as belief, hope, and love. His treatise on love is the best of all. Noteworthy is his dedicated resolve to challenge the notion that "eros" and "agape" are somehow mutually exclusive and opposed; rather, he marries these two expressions of love as being in unison under the all-encompassing "amor". Hence, "eros" is not evil as the Puritans and Freudians, among others, would have ...more
Dan Snyder
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Along with Pieper's book on the four cardinal virtues (Wisdom, Courage, Justice, and Temperance), this affords dilation on the classical virtues. Faith,Hope, and Love being the spiritual virtues, a study of these books will set a ready well on their way to grappling with these themes in classical literature as well as scripture.

Oddly, Pieper avows that he doesn't propose a theological book (in some of the chapters), but a purely philosophical discussion.
Anne-Marie
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant philosophical book that is profoundly insightful and needs careful reading. My favourite section was on hope, although I was extremely impressed with the section on love. It was so deeply rooted in the theology of the body it was amazing - and I am assuming he wrote this long before St John Paul II started giving the Wednesday audiences on it back in 1979.
Amanda Patchin
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some of the best writing I have ever read. Pieper is insightful, provocative, and witty. The essay on faith has deepened my understanding of how belief functions in relation to both knowledge and persons. The essay on hope offers a rich exploration of the tension between magnanimity and humility that challenged how I see my vocation. The essay on love explores how the act of loving another person affirms and extends their realness - their being - by the declaration "It is good that you exist". B ...more
David Haines
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolute joy to read. I would expect nothing less from an author such as Josef Pieper. The book is divided into 3 separate (though certainly related) treatises. The first is a masterful explanation of faith. It will be hard to find a better work on the subject. The second is a short treatment on the notion of hope which is quite inspiring and thought provoking. The last is on love, and is a deep and thought provoking look at the notion of love. It should be read along side of C. ...more
Al
Oct 24, 2012 added it
I appreciated Pieper's reflections on the three theological virtues. Each chapter is richly thoughtful and articulate, fleshing out the virtues in a way that both deepens understanding and challenges one's living.
I used this book, as well as Pieper's book on the four cardinal virtues (prudence, justice, fortitude, temperance) as the backbone for a series of sermons on the seven virtues. Throughout the series, I was continually thankful for this resource.
Jasonlylescampbell
Sep 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a whole new way to think. Pieper is an Aquanis scholar and so it reveals the rationality of a different age. One where it was understood that reality involved both the visible and the invisible. It is amazing to read a philosophical writing on these Christian virtues. This is one of my new favorite people.
Tom Park
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I basically like the book, but it seemed to take forever for either of the leads to get around to the point, all the while beating themselves for not getting around to the point. The ending was a nice twist, it's just too bad it took all that time to get there.
Ann
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-books
Well worth the time it takes to read this book ... and it WILL take some time to accomplish ! Pieper discusses the virtues of faith hope and love from a different perspective than any I've read.
Tim
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!
Keith Lane
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The whole book is insightful, but Pieper's thoughts on hope are the best I've encountered anywhere.
Jrome!!
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the best analysis on Love. Also, Pieper's work on Hope is a must read for every single modern reader. He is the only author that I know that makes Thomism attractive!
Joe
Nov 18, 2014
John Boland
Aug 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Aquinas's Shorter Summa: Saint Thomas's Own Concise Version of His Summa Theologica
  • The Splendor of Truth
  • God and Philosophy
  • The Ignatius Bible: Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition
  • The Meaning of Tradition
  • Dependent Rational Animals: Why Human Beings Need the Virtues (The Paul Carus Lectures)
  • Catholicism: Christ and the Common Destiny of Man
  • The End of the Modern World
  • Aquinas
  • Back to Virtue: Traditional Moral Wisdom for Modern Moral Confusion
  • An Essay Concerning Human Understanding 2 (Books on Western Philosophy)
  • Apologia Pro Vita Sua (A Defense of One's Life)
  • Charity in Truth: Caritas in Veritate
  • Dostoevsky: Language, Faith, and Fiction
  • Prayer
Josef Pieper was professor of philosophical anthropology at the University of Münster/Germany; he was a member of several academies and received numerous awards and distinctions, among them the International Balzan Prize for outstanding achievements in the field of humanities.

Pieper is among the most widely read philosophers of the 20th century. The main focus of his thought is the overcoming of c
“Even the unhappy lover is happier than the nonlover, with whom the lover would never change places. In the fact of loving he has already partaken of something beloved.” 2 likes