Start by marking “Death at the Tavern (A Higgins & Hawke Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death at the Tavern (A Higgins & Hawke Mystery, #1)

Death at the Tavern

(A Higgins & Hawke Mystery #1)

Death by Rum Running. . .

It’s the hot and humid East Coast summer of 1931 and seven years since Dr. Haley Higgins’ brother Joe was murdered. The case is cold. The Boston Police Department may have given up on finding Joe Higgins’ killer, but Haley never will. She’s serious and savvy and has what it takes to hold up under depressive times. At least she finds some sa

Published 2019 by La Plume Press

To ask other readers questions about Death at the Tavern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at the Tavern

Start your review of Death at the Tavern (A Higgins & Hawke Mystery, #1)
Merry Chapman
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first book in a spin-off series from Lee Strauss' Ginger Gold series. Haley Higgins studied pathology and forensic science in England where they allowed women to take such degrees. When her youngest brother, Joe is murdered in the states, she heads back to Boston, bound to find her brother's killer. The time period here is during the 30s with prohibition and speakeasys a thread throughout the city-where bootlegging is a lucrative business for the mob. When a man is murdered in the Bell in Ha ...more
JoAn
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Death at the Tavern by Lee Strauss is her new series based on Dr. Haley Higgins and her life in Boston. Those of us who read Ms. Strauss' Ginger Gold series are well acquainted with Haley; and I enjoyed having this opportunity to see Haley shine as the star detective in this book.

I admire Haley as the strong, independent and "thoroughly modern woman" that she is when women are just beginning to be recognized as more than wives and mothers. Set in the 1930's there is a strong theme of the Prohib
Susan Stokell
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new series by Lee Strauss. Dr Haley Higgins from the Ginger Gold series has moved to Boston. Haley is the assistant Medical assistant. There are 2 murders to solve and Haley joins up with reporter Sam (Samantha) Hawke.

Speakeasies, brothels and the mob are all involved in the story.

This book us well written and a good read. Very enjoyable. I did not want to put it down .
Heather Belleguelle
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Death at the Tavern and becoming reacquainted with Haley Higgins, now a little older and in her native setting of Boston. I felt that the author had captured the era well, and I found all the little historical facts, as well as the backdrop of Prohibition and the Depression, interesting.

Both Haley and the other main character, Samantha, are well presented and I shall look forward to getting to know them better as the series goes on. Mrs Strauss cleverly uses them to
Mara
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a spin-off series from the Ginger Gold Mystery series by Lee Strauss. It's 1931 and Haley Higgins is now a doctor, having studied in England, but she's back in Boston working as an assistant pathologist (although it seems as if she's doing most of the work). Her work keeps her busy but she's determined to find out who killed her brother 7 years ago.

Samantha Hawke works at the Daily Record in Boston, using the byline Sam Hawke. She's the only newswoman at the paper, and
Bonnye Reed
I received an electronic copy of this historical mystery novel from the author and La Plume Press. Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me. I have read this novel of my own volition, and this review reflects my personal opinion of this work. Death at the Tavern is the first of a series - I can't want to tackle the rest. This story is upbeat, crisp and hard to put aside.

Lee Strauss is an author I am happy to recommend to friends and family. She writes a tight, compelling mystery, this o
Nadishka Aloysius
I came to this after the Ginger Gold mystery series.
I loved Haley Higgins in that series, and I was disappointed when her character left. So I was thrilled to realise she had her own series.
This is billed as a 1930's Rizolli and Isles. That's quite close, to be honest.
As in all other Lee Strauss books, the characters are very well rooted in the culture of the time. As women, they also have to face many trials. And as a woman in the 21st century it is fascinating to read that. So I really appr
Eric
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was rather like a dish into which a chef has lovingly put lots of well chosen and tasty ingredients which end up cancelling each other out and result in a finished product which fails to ignite the taste buds.

The ingredients here are good quality. Two feisty leading characters, Haley and Sam, are women battling their way in spheres dominated by men, facing up to and beating off prejudice- but they are not enough of a contrast, and, to my mind, each merits her own book. There is fascina
Kandy
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a spin off of the Ginger Gold series following her good friend Haley after her return to the States. I love the characters and the descriptions of the time era it is set in. Great beginning of a new series.
Rosemary K
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
1931 was a difficult time. People struggled with Prohibition and the Great Depression. It was a dark and dangerous world. Samantha Hawke, an investigative reporter, is frustrated when she's held back in her job because she's a woman. Her first break as a crime reporter involves the murder of a man at the Bell in Hand Tavern. I liked her spunk. She is the bread winner. She supports her daughter and her mother-in-law after her husband abandoned them. I admired her bravery, I felt bad that she coul ...more
Brigitte
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I want to like Death at the Tavern more than I did. Perhaps if I had come to the story brand new instead of following Haley Higgins from the Ginger Gold novels, I would have.

When I last saw Haley, she was a medical student racing home from London to Boston to deal with the aftermath of her brother’s murder. In Death at the Tavern, years have passed. Haley is now a fully qualified doctor and an assistant medical examiner in Boston.

Conveniently, she’s has inherited enough money to not be sufferin
Bonnie Dale Keck
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
kindle unlimited or will be as far as know, sometimes bit of delay while she's making sure the non ku users get a chance to buy it {once on ku it can't be put out anywhere else}, noticed some issues, mainly that it states Higgins is 6 feet tall, which absolutely cannot be correct since she wore a dress of Ginger's in the very first book Murder on the SS Rosa, and since proper ladies did not show even knees and barely a 'well turned ankle' no way the dress would have fit both Ginger and Haley tho ...more
Ann
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prime-koll, 2019
Borrowed this as my April pick in the Kindle Owner's Lending Library. Definitely a good choice.

As the first in a series, of course a lot of it was introducing and getting to know characters. The main two are Dr Haley Higgins and Miss Samantha Hawke. Higgins is a Boston medical examiner -- unusual for a woman in her day. She's 40 something, unmarried, no kids and reasonably comfortable financially considering it's set in the early 30s, just before the repeal of Prohibition.

Hawke is a reporter, ge
Helen Drake
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting new series by Lee Strauss featuring Dr Haley Higgins who we met in the Ginger Gold Mystery Series. Haley is now the Assistant Medical Examiner of Boston. It’s now Haley’s turn to be the main person solving murder mysteries. She does have help from a female reporter, Samantha Hawke, who is a single mother trying to make it in a man’s world during the 1930’s. It’s the time of prohibition and speakeasies.

There were several murders to solve and I didn’t guess who the murderer
Pam Lyons
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Successful Spinoff of the acclaimed Ginger Gold Mysteries!

Fast forward seven years and you will find Dr. Haley Higgins, first met in the Ginger Gold Mystery series, in the morgue in Boston working as the assistant pathologist. Prohibition is the law in America and organized crime has found lucrative markets in rum running and speakeasies. The mob and crime are on the rise. Samantha Hawke, bi-line Sam Hawke, working as a women’s column reporter for The Daily Record is looking for her big break.
Catherine
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A New Dynamic Duo

Finally, Haley Higgins is back. As Asst. Medical Examiner in Boston, Haley keeps busy at her job while continuing to brood over the cold case of her brother’s murder. Enter Samantha ‘Sam’ Hawke, woman’s reporter for The Daily Record. Abandoned by her husband before their daughter’s birth, Sam now needs to work to support Talia & her mother-in-law, Bina Rosenbaum. The two women meet over the murder of an outcast brother of the Mafia Marchesi family. Sam wants a byline and an inve
Bonita
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlikely investigators

Haley Higgins the assistant medical examiner, and Samantha Hawke an investigative reporter, find an unlikely friendship, while surviving in occupations that are mostly held by men.
Look out Boston, this dynamic duel is going to be the next great team to solve murders in the 1930's.
Lee Strauss has again penned a new delightful but very entertaining mystery series.
Any genre Lee decides to write is always a thrill ride of it's own. Far from a one trick pony, I would recommend
Teri Donaldson
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have loved the Ginger Gold series from Ms. Strauss since the beginning. Haley Higgins, one of the characters in the books, has always been a favorite. Now, she has her own book and has teamed up with the delightful Ms. Sam Hawke. These are two talented women that are not only smart, but have the desire to succeed in field that are not always accepting of women.
This book is captivating from the first word to the last. There are many more stories to be told about their adventures and I, for one,
Doreen
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting new series!

Haley is a familiar person from the Ginger Gold series. Haley is back in Boston and we meet her 6 years after her London adventures. She is Assistant Medical Examiner and encounters a young reporter, Samantha Hawke. They work together to solve a series of murders, connected or not, is part of their problem. Interesting adventure for women in 1931 Boston. I enjoyed reading about the excessive discrimination they met and how they handled it! Two new strong, female sleuths!
Barbara Fricks
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Higgins & Hawke

What a great start to the offshoot of the Ginger Gold series. Haley Higgins came back to Boston when she found out her brother, Joseph, had been murdered. Although she has not solved that case (yet) she is working as the assistant medical examiner and will have many cases to work on. This story brings her together with Sam (Samantha) Hawke, a ladies columnist to solve a couple of murders. It looks like they’re going to be a great team. And, as with the Ginger Gold series, this lo
Patricia Moran
May 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read

There were a few discrepancies with the era. This was a woman supporting three people on one third of the amount of money of her contemporaries. A fifty cent tip was a LOT of money during the depression. The references to the cost of drinks to the comments of trying to feed her family are inconsistent. The additional purchase of sunglasses is ludicrous. I’ve been very poor and when faced with feeding and clothing family members or purchasing alcohol and sunglasses there was an obvious
Katie Thompson
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Haley during the Ginger Gold mysteries, and Lee Strauss has pulled out all of the stops to set Haley up as the main heroine in her new series. She’s partnered up with Sam, a single mother who holds her own and owns her sex appeal. The plot was fantastic, well researched for the time period of the tail end of Prohibition. The characters were fantastic, and the mystery was top notch. I am super excited to continue the series!
Janice Drake
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy Lee Strauss' mysteries. This one is no exception. The period detail of the 30's is fun and the strong female characters are well written. The action moves along well and I picked-up on the killer at the same time Haley did. I was thrilled! This was a very good first story for the series and I hope there will be many more.
I received an ARC of this book and wished to leave a review because I enjoyed it.
Carol
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed this wonderful spin-off of the Ginger Gold mysteries. The characters were believable and compelling, and the mystery was well-crafted. The time period was well researched and we get a glimpse of what life was like for women in 1930s Boston. I look forward to further character development in the books to follow. I recommend this book to anyone who loves a clever cozy that keeps you guessing.
Elisabeth
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, quick read

Not particularly deep in plot or character development, this story is still fun. Haley and Sam are women in a man's world. Not so unjust that we get angry, but they both face an uphill battle that fortunately is less uphill a hundred years later. The charm of this book is not in plot. The resolution was more than a bit strained. But somehow it was still a fun read and good enough that I'll be reading the next one too.
Debi
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a great fan of old black/white movies and all things TCM channel I have slowly been giving historical fiction a try. I tend to prefer the books with strong and smart women who fight for rights and privileges that women often take for granted these days because it's always been that way for them...such as voting. I really liked the story and the Samantha and Haley characters. I look forward to reading the next in the series. ...more
Karen Liesche
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Higgins & Hawke, Modern Women In A Man's World

I really enjoyed reading this book. I felt like I was in Boston at the wharf, the speakeasy, and most of all in the kitchen with Molly and Haley. It was great "catching up" with Haley and meeting Samantha, Molly and the others. Haley and Sam have very different personalities but they are both modern women working in a man's world. I'm looking forward to reading the next book. Higgins and Hawke, a new crime busting duo!
June M Siman
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uncommon Bostonian whodunit

I loved this story. Dr. Hailey Higgins and Samantha Hawke are as interesting as the mysteries they unravel. The era they navigate in proper Boston is not women in the work place friendly yet they forge their way in their respective carreers and bridge the class distinctions between their stations with grit. Full of intrigue and historical info its a great read.
Cher
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! Great imagination on the part of this writer and obvious attention to detail. Books by this author are very hard to put down once you start reading. Historical details bring you into the story as if you are one of the characters. I thoroughly enjoyed Haley's life and what looks to be her sidekick Sam. These two will make a great team helping the police solve murders. ...more
Mary Byrnes
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great series from Lee Strauss

Having met Haley Higgins in the Ginger Gold series made me feel right at home with Haley in Boston. I also fell in love with the new characters in this series. I love stories about strong women and this one delivers. Can't wait for April and the next book in the series.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page number for Kindle edition 2 12 Apr 07, 2019 09:35AM

• Mystery on Valentine's Day
  • Gin & Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #7)
  • Murder at the Ladies Club (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #9)
  • Murder at Midnight: A Violet Carlyle Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 28)
  • Obsidian Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #8)
  • Silver Bells & Murder: A Violet Carlyle Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 27)
  • Murder in the Belltower (Miss Underhay Mysteries #5)
  • A Murder Most Unlikely (Mrs. Lillywhite Investigates, #5)
  • Death on the Isle of Love (Mrs. Lillywhite Investigates, #3)
  • House Party Murder Rap (Evie Parker Mystery #1)
  • Murder in the Shallows (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #6)
  • Murder at the Playhouse (Miss Underhay Mysteries #3)
  • Murder By Chocolate (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #12)
  • Love & Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #19)
  • Wedding Vows & Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #10)
  • Murder at the Tea Party (Evie Parker Mystery #2)
  • Murder in the Daytime (Miss Alice, #6)
  • A Burglary In Belgravia (The Lady Eleanor Mysteries Book 2)
For fans of Golden Age who-dun-its ~ from a USA TODAY Bestselling author!

You'll adore Lady Gold from the acclaimed Ginger Gold Mysteries series, and the spin of series, Higgins & Hawke.

Look for the connected 1950s era ROSA REED MYSTERIES!

Sign up for Lee's newsletter and get EXCLUSIVE access to Ginger Gold's Journal AND a Rosa Reed prequel short story!

A Higgins & Hawke Mystery (3 books)
  • Death on the Tower (A Higgins & Hawke Mystery #2)
  • Death on Hanover (A Higgins & Hawke Mystery, #3)