Start by marking “When the Stars Lead to You” as Want to Read:
When the Stars Lead to You

When the Stars Lead to You

Eighteen-year-old Devon longs for two things.

The stars.
And the boy she fell in love with last summer.

When Ashton breaks Devon’s heart at the end of the most romantic and magical summer ever, she thinks her heart will never heal again. But over the course of the following year, Devon finds herself slowly putting the broken pieces back together.

Now it’s senior year, and she’
Published November 12th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about When the Stars Lead to You, please sign up.
Amy Lou Yes, there is more than kissing. There are definitely scenes that are explicit enough that I would not offer this book to a young teen.

Start your review of When the Stars Lead to You
Jessica
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from The NOVL in exchange for an honest review.

First and foremost, I want to start off with a massive trigger warning for depression and suicide. These topics are heavily discussed in this book.

This was a very heartfelt and touching book.

The depression representation was really well done. It showed what depression looked like and how it affects not only the person with it, but also their loved ones. After reading the author’s note at the end, you can tell just how
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ p. 151

I feel really bad about not finishing this one but I couldn't stand the writing. Devon is supposed to be an astrophysicist in the making in her senior year of high school, but she was written like a middle schooler. The whole foundation of the star-crossed romance is a summer of insta-love cheese that ends up going sour, followed by a second chance romance-type plot-- only because they didn't have any real or deep connection
Katie B

At times I struggled with some of the characters and story but now that I've finished the book, I feel like I can sit back and appreciate what the author was attempting to do here. Reading the Author's Note at the end of the book helped put things into context for me. This might not be a perfect read but one that nonetheless was worthy of my time.

High school student Devon is focused on her future. She studies hard so she can go to the college of her choice and hopefully nab a ton of sch
Emma
Jan 29, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

Trigger warnings: depression, suicide

I just want to point out that from the plot here on Goodreads this book seems just like your average YA romance book, which it actually isn't. There are some heavy themes in this novel, so I strongly recommend you check out the trigger warnings before going into this book.

I really appreciated how the author included the different topics in her novel, she took her time to explore each theme and situation and I believe it was well done. If you th
Ronni Davis
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
January 24, 2019—we have a cover! I hope you love it as much as I do!!!
kav (xreadingsolacex)
When the Stars Lead to You by Ronni Davis is a solid debut YA novel about Devon, an 18-year-old with dreams of being an astrophysicist. These dreams are changed, however, when Devon meets Ashton, a fellow 18-year-old who Devon falls deeply in love with, but Ashton's high-end lifestyle and life-threatening depression may just make things too difficult for the star-crossed lovers.

There were so many great things about this novel, and Ronni Davis is definitely an author to keep an eye on going forwa
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
DNF at 45%

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

I really liked the concept for When the Stars Lead to You, but felt like the story was poorly executed. Devon is an eighteen-year-old that wants to be an astrophysicist, but her voice was very juvenile (unless she was talking about space and the stars). I sometimes forgot she was in her senior
Vicky Again
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
so amazing. would highly recommend.
Rena Barron
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WHEN THE STARS LEAD TO YOU is a masterpiece in realistic fiction that doesn't sugarcoat the lives of its main characters. Devon is an aspiring astrophysicist on scholarship at an exclusive private school, where all her classmates come from affluent families. She is working hard to earn her place in a top university to continue her dreams of studying the stars. Ashton is from a wealthy family. At first glance, it seems like he has a perfect life, but Ashton has severe depression. When he and Devo ...more
Michelle
Mar 07, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5

Good for lower HS YA. The issues it discussed were done brilliantly.

Full RTC.
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
What a wonderful, heart-wrenching book and a hidden gem. When the Stars Lead to You is a heart-aching portrayal of intense love, the messiness of duty and obligation, and depression.

- Follows Devon, a biracial Black teen who has a whirlwind summer romance with a white teen, Ashton - until he suddenly disappears. A year passes, and Devon finally moves on, except that Ashton shows up on the first day at school as the new student.
- I really enjoyed how the romance in this book is a mix of insta-lo
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-2019, 2019
Raw. Real. Difficult. Emotional. Heart breaking.

Huge thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy to read and review. I'll have my review done soon.
Andrea
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m so torn! I understand and appreciate what the author was trying to do, I just don’t think it was executed all that well.

Devon is a biracial 18 year old girl who is starting her senior year of high school. She’s focused on getting into her dream college and learning more about astrophysics. Also enjoying her last year of school with her best friend, Blair.

The last thing she expects is to see the guy who ghosted her a year and half ago, after what was the perfect summer relationship. Devon is
J
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the black biracial rep in this is fantastic.
Fanna
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
When The Stars Lead To You is a summer love ending without a hint that turns into a heated romance where the relationship’s growth is intertwined with both the protagonists’ individual growth. A biracial relationship with a depression representation and a female main character whose dream is to be an astrophysicist along with emotional wonders about forgiveness are all the good things making up this young adult contemporary romance.

Consider reading this review on my blog!

➝ Sum it up in point
Swankivy
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Please note this review might discuss some raw issues regarding mental illness, depression, and suicidal ideation!

As a person who has had a romantic relationship with a mentally ill person who attempted suicide while I was in a relationship with him, there was a LOT about this that I related to. I was shocked that that was the case considering how unusual it is for me to relate to a first-person protagonist in a romance book. This story, first and foremost, allows for a realistic exploration of
Samantha (WLABB)
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
They shared an amazing summer at the beach, but without warning, he ghosted her. Fast forward one year, and he was back in her life, but was she ready to forgive him?

I had featured this book as one of my highly anticipated releases, because the whole summer-loving-first-love-brokenhearted-reunited thing really appealed to me, and Davis delivered all feels and, so much more, with this beautiful story.

Such a great blend of drama, heartbreak, and hope, and here are five things I really loved about
Ali
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a hard book for me to rate and review. There was one aspect of the story that I really loved. However, most of the rest of the book, I didn't enjoy.

I'll start with what I didn't love. The romance never felt truly solidified to me. I found it based more just on some cutesy moments rather than anything deep. By the time the deep moments did arrive, Dev and Ashton were already declaring their love.

I also didn't like how forced the characters felt. None of them came off as realistic to me,
Milena
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
When the Stars Lead to You is a bittersweet, multilayered, contemporary YA romance that deals with a lot of important issues and packs quite a punch. Even though the book addresses heavy topics, such as mental illness and racism, it's written in a way that is very engaging and easy to read. It's also sex-positive, which I really appreciate and want to see in all the books, but especially in YA. When the Stars Lead to You ticked all the right boxes for me, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoy ...more
Toya (the reading chemist)
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary, arcs
As soon as I finished reading When the Stars Lead to You , I was reeling from all the emotions of this book that I definitely needed to take a few days to wrap my head around everything that I read.

Devon is a biracial (half black and half white), sixteen year old girl that dreams of being an astrophysicist. She loves getting lost in the constellations and galaxies. During summer vacation, she meets Ashton. It’s basically love at first sight for these two. Their whirlwind romance is the epitome
Mari Johnston
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Content Warnings: depression, suicidal ideation, suicide attempt, racism, classism, microaggressions

I honestly loved every single word of this book.

A lot of people will have issues with the story because it’s very much an instalove situation. Personally, though, I don’t have a problem with this because it’s how I tend to be. There is no building up to emotions with me – I just dive right in. This is something the main char
Emily Nicholas | Emily The Book Nerd
REVIEW FOUND ON MY BLOG

I was very excited to read When the Stars Lead to You because the cover caught my eye. It's one of the prettiest covers that I have ever seen. The story is all about a girl named Devon who is a very type-A student and person. She dreams of being an astrophysicist and loves everything about the stars.

One day, while on vacation she meets the boy of her dreams. Devon and Ashton immediately fall for each other and embark on a whirlwind
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
So I was wavering between 4 and 5 stars but ultimately rounded up because...feelings. The depression/suicide rep here hit really hard and close to home.

Full review coming when I can...you know...calm my brain down...
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I did not expect this book so be so impactful. This is a very important story.
Patty
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Review: When The Stars Lead To You
By: Ronni Davis
Genre: YA Contemporary Fiction
Format: Physical Book
TW: Racism, Suicidal Ideation/Attempts, Self Harm
⁣⁣
Devon loves the stars, but does she wish on them? Secretly. One day she wishes to have the best summer ever, and that’s when she met Ashton. After a summer of love- Ashton leaves without a trace, leaved Devon heartbroken. The following year- senior year- Devon runs into Ashton and has to decide if love is worth a second chance.
⁣⁣⁣ ⁣⁣⁣
I have
Moony MeowPoff
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so beautiful in many ways, but also heartbreaking. Touching the subject of romance, of how overwhelming it can be of how it rocks your world to your very core (good and bad) and to let one go when that's the hardest thing you do. With struggeling with families and their beliefes, your beliefes, grief, and depression - wich is a the dark. And people often seem okay, and they aren't. I will admit that i cried a bit at the end, but i loved it all the same. ...more
Marie
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book. I fell in love with this book. Read it. <3

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
S.F. Henson
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book about first love and loss, self-care and selflessness, and all that falls between. A gorgeous debut that everyone should add to their TBR pile!
Sophie
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an excellent read, I can't wait to write a full review!
_________
Updated: Nov. 4, 2019
Link: https://mindofabookdragon.wordpress.c...

Like I mentioned earlier, I absolutely loved this book! It was a really great read, and I loved the development of the characters over time.

Devon was awesome, and she was so complex. She behaved like you would probably think a teenager would in her situation, and I’m glad to say it ended in the way I wanted it to. Her pride and strength showed when she had to de
Becca
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally gave this 3 stars but upped it to 4 on reflection. I am not sure how I feel about it, but it did capture that feeling of falling in love at 18 with someone that might not be good for you. The intensity of it brought back lots of difficult memories for me, which was why I low balled it a bit at first.

Devon and Ashton meet one summer and fall in love hard and fast. Then one day, he doesn't show up and Devon is left wondering what happened. A couple of years later and it's the first da
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Four Days of You and Me
  • Amelia Westlake
  • The Last Post
  • Time of Our Lives
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst (Village of Primm #1)
  • More Than Maybe
  • I'm Not Dying with You Tonight
  • How to Speak Boy
  • Hot British Boyfriend
  • The Downstairs Girl
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Chasing Lucky
  • With the Fire on High
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
Ronni Davis grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, where she tried her best to fit in—and failed miserably. After graduating from The Ohio State University with a BA in Psychology, she worked in insurance, taught yoga, and became a cat mom.

Now she lives in Chicago, where by day she copy edits everything from TV commercials to billboards, and by night she writes contemporary YA about brown girls falling in lo

Articles featuring this book

Dhonielle Clayton is a YA author, a 2018 Goodreads Choice Award nominee, and the chief operating officer of We Need Diverse Books, a...
“Feelings aren't good or bad... They just are. But how you handle them is what makes you a terrible person or not.” 0 likes