Start by marking “Bicycles Locked to Poles” as Want to Read:
Bicycles Locked to Poles

Bicycles Locked to Poles

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
This mournful but pleasing collection features many of the best photographs of bicycles locked to poles ever taken.

Shot using an old-fashioned 35mm Nikon, and in many cases after waiting days for alternate-side-of-the-street parking regulations to take effect, the photos here follow in the tradition of John James Audubon, Bernd and Hilla Becher, the Peterson Field Guides,
Published May 17th 2005 by McSweeney's (first published April 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bicycles Locked to Poles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bicycles Locked to Poles

Tuck
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
sad and lonely abused bikes. fairly artful and poetic photos but a bit repetitive. perhaps needed greater focus/expanded vision of the project, or better editor. also needed artist commentary of some sort. but if you've ever come outside to find your bike savaged, these artful photos will resonate, and warn you to "get 'em inside"
mim
Oct 07, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who like collections of things
I loved the images in this book, having seen many of them myself. The chart showing the bicycles by parts remaining was great fun. I liked the idea of this book and the images were nicely photographed. I passed this book along to a student in a class i was teaching, as he was creating bicycles.
Michael
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I got my copy Powells.com used for $5.95 (with a free shipping special - guess I'm cheap) and it was even signed by the photographer.

On some level, of course, it's a terribly sad little book of photographs, but most of the bikes are just crap (missing various parts) so it isn't quite so sad. Perhaps.

The locks on some of these NYC bikes liked to poles clearly weighed more than the bikes (when the bikes were whole). I almost never see monster locks like these around here.

The inside of the front a
Yesica
Jan 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
How can you not like a book showing the dismantling and denigration of poor bicycles locked to poles in NYC. The images tell a story, albeit a sad one. McSweeney's Rocks!
Mathew
Jun 24, 2007
Kelly
May 17, 2012
John
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Matt Eckel
Sep 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Photobook. The most depressing thing I've ever seen.
Lily Koppel
Mason
Mar 19, 2017
Gabriel
Apr 21, 2017
I'm the author of a book about a colorful but largely forgotten seventeenth-century scholar and priest named Athanasius Kircher. It's called A Man of Misconceptions. It was first published by Riverhead Books in November of 2012, and came out in paperback in late 2013.

I've been a contributing editor for The New York Times Magazine and have written for many publications including The Believer, The N
More about John Glassie