Start by marking “J.K. Rowling - A Biography” as Want to Read:
J.K. Rowling - A Biography

J.K. Rowling - A Biography

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  956 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
She is the creator of probably the most famous - and certainly the best-loved - character in contemporary fiction. She is also the author of her own escape from an existence on the brink of poverty, with no job and few prospects. On the one hand there is J.K. Rowling, who wrote, and continues to write, the Harry Potter novels,a literary phenomenon. O the other, there is Jo ...more
Published May 1st 2003 by Michael O'Mara Books (first published 1999)

Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015, biography
I've always admired Rowling a great deal. Not only did she write my all time favorite book series, she also seems like a very brave and intelligent woman who goes her own way.

So therefor I was very eager to read this book. At first I was very disappointed. The beginning was slow, boring and didn't say anything at all about Joanne as a person. The author wrote about her parents, where they lived and how much they paid for their house and so on. He also made a lot of lame attempts to make connecti
Angela Joyce
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
What an inspirational woman!
Gabriel Woods
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the first contemporary biography I have ever read for the same reasons as I found this book was effected by. Paragraphs of facts with little use of the imagination and limited description of the people that are being discussed.
I am ghost writing my first biography currently about a local lady who most of her life experienced institutional abuse. I read this book to give me an idea of what a contemporary biography might look like. I have read books about Patrick Pearse and additional hist
Sandra
This was a nice introduction to JK's life, but in fact.. if I'm really honest.. I would advice everyone to watch the documentary on the bonus disc of the 6th movie instead. It's much more gripping that way and that was my biggest problem with this book. The things that happened were horrible at times but I just wasn't feeling it. Despite being a biography, I think that definitely should have been in there. But the general feeling about Jo's past and childhood was overall just.. wrong I think. It ...more
Betul
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I recommend this book to all Potterheads.

Although the first pages (till around page 76), it is a bit boring and is more like scattered information about the early years of J.K. Rowling rather than a meaningful biography with every chapter leading to a conclusion.

Be patient, after that first part, the book gets very interesting and turns into a well-narrated biography with reasonable information rather than just random facts scattered around.

The book ends before Harry Potter and the Order of the
Vickey
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved reading about J.K. Rowling's life that influenced her writing in one of my favourite book series, Harry Potter. I always thought she was such an inspiring person and after reading this biography, I couldn't believe how much your life can change when you choose to follow your dreams. J.K. Rowling is an author that I greatly admire and her books and work definitely changed my life. An amazing biography for all Harry Potter fans and anyone who is interested in biographies, as this book proves ...more
chucklesthescot
Mar 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: entertainment, true
'Exhaustive research'? I don't agree with that at all. This strikes me as the type of fluff that someone tries to rush out in order to be the first biography written about the celebrity. There was no meat on the subject and not much inspiration and I'd personally advise people not to expect great things from this book if you go to read it. I think I'd prefer an autobiography by JK herself!
Maria Chatzistogianni
When I read it I was curious to know what gave a human this kind of inspiration to write a story such as Harry Potter.
My curiosity was satisfied because in the end I realized, one only needs to be a human with heart and to allow themselves to create as many stories as they need in order to survive.
Michelle
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
I still don’t feel like I know the woman, but it served as a small dose of inspiration.
Erin
And now I get to learn all about my all time favorite author!
Lukyan's Books
This was yet another school book I had to read in 2017 and I really did not enjoy it. Technically, I didn't have to read this particular book, but the assignment was to read a biography of a person we were interested in. This is obviously a biography on J.K. Rowling, whom I admire, but this book was very disappointing in my humble opinion.

Characters: (Non-fiction N/A)
Plot: (Non-fiction N/A)
Originality: (Non-fiction N/A)
Writing: 2 stars
(All out of 5 stars)

Ariel R
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The theme of the book J.K. Rowling, A biography is that no matter how bad circumstances may get, there is always a way back to the light. This book is written in third person, and it is biography about the life of Joanne Rowling from childhood to success. This book carefully covers all the struggles, benefits, tragedy, and triumphs of her life. The reader comes to understand determination and love in its truest form, and that no matter how hopeless life situations may get, true talent will alway ...more
Rula
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
for anyone who is a harry potter fan, there is no better book than the biography of JK Rowling, the genius behind harry potter. this book has excited me so much and it has given me insight of how a writer should be. i really liked the way that JK Rowling's friends had really interesting things to say about her, growing up with her, going to school with her, going to college with her and old colleagues who she worked with. i have always wanted to be a writer just like JK Rowling because of the pu ...more
Joan Sebastián Araujo Arenas
No dejo de pensar en lo que dice Anton Ego en Ratatouille (2007): «no cualquiera puede ser un gran artista, pero un gran artista puede provenir de cualquier lado». Creo que esto se aplica a Rowling perfectamente. No cualquiera podría podría haber hecho lo que ella hizo, pero nadie se creería que alguien que fue pobre, que fue abandonada por su esposo y rechazada en un comienzo por varios editores, podría haber surgido como la escritora revelación del siglo. Y digo esto último en el sentido en el ...more
Kirsti
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it
This was book was good, but not great. I have been just as big a fan of JK Rowling as I am of her books for years, but I rarely find myself enjoying her biographies. Her story is a great one, but somehow it became dry in the retelling, and I think that is the fault of the author here. It was all the unnecessary background information on people/places that probably didn't deserve a mention.

It was also because of when this book was released; just after GOF. We all know what success the books/films
Rebecca Lyne
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had to read a biography for my English class and I wanted to choose one that I would want to read and enjoy reading. I chose JK Rowling because she is the author of my favorite series, Harry Potter. Thud book was full of fun facts that surprisingly I didn't know. I totally recommend reading this book! I love the fact that in this book there were so many facts about her. you may be like "Well yeah, of course there are facts. its a biography." But i just think its so interesting. It tells you he ...more
Jasmin
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Obwohl diese Biographie schon lange nicht mehr auf dem neusten Stand ist kann ich mit Fug und Recht behaupten ein sehr gelungenes Werk heute beendet zu haben. Sean Smith versucht sein bestes Joanne Rowling mit ihrem Werk in Verbindung zu setzten und zeigt in seinem Buch einige sehr interessante Verknüpfungen zwischen der Autorin und ihrem Helden auf.
All in all eine sehr Biographie, die ich gerne gelesen habe. Gegen ein Update nach Veröffentlichung aller Bücher und Filme hätte ich daher nichts ei
RainbowWriter
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Truly inspiring! I started writing as a 10-years-old kid and I had never done it without J.K. Rowling's inspiration. A few years ago I even wrote fan mail to her and she replied to me personally which was brilliant. Another British role model who changed me as a person in a very early point of my life. This book is very fascinating, told in a lively way. Her whole life is like a fairytale itself... Her struggle from a poor single mother into an author millionaire keeps inspiring me when finally ...more
Puck
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jammer dat het alleen over de beginperiode gaat! Het boek is eigenlijk te vroeg geschreven. Heel interessant om te lezen hoelang Joanne over het schrijven heeft gedaan voordat het eerste boek er überhaupt was! Ik vind het heel knap dat ze alles zo goed heeft doorstaan en gun het haar ontzettend dat ze dit allemaal heeft kunnen doen.

J.K. Rowling is en blijft mijn favoriete schrijfster en dat heeft dit boek alleen nog maar aangesterkt!
Terri Moore
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: authors
This is a popular biography and not a scholarly one. I enjoyed it because I am a writer who likes reading about the lives of other, successful writers. I would have appreciated more about the psychology and philosophy of Jo Rowling and more about her approach to writing. If you want a quick sketch of her life this is fine, but if you want more, try something else. If you know of a more scholarly work I would appreciate a recommendation.
Eva Dillner
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've always enjoyed biographies and autobiographies. This book is in parts dry, but it was fascinating to read about the person behind the wonderful Harry Potter books. I'm heartened by her perseverance, and found it amusing how many publishers turned her down. Goes to show they haven't a clue what will take off or not. For every would be author the message is believe in your dreams, and have the courage to do something with them.
Emma
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harry-potter
Since this has been written before all the Harry Potter books had come out, it mainly tells about Rowling's life before Harry Potter happened. I got new information but lot of it I already knew because I've read so much about Rowling already from another sources. One day someone will write a biography of Rowling's whole life, so I'm going to wait for that next. Hopefully she will write lots of other books before that too.
Arie Kok
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Om het verhaal achter de Harry Potter boeken te weten te komen, is dit een aardig boek. Tenminste, als je je beperkt tot de hoofdstukken die ertoe doen. Als biografie is het een te oppervlakkig babbelverhaal, met een te zwaar accent op de exorbitante revenuen. Inzicht in de literaire achtergronden geeft het helaas boek niet.
Noora
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Elämäkerta on kyllä mielenkiintoista luettavaa, mutta Rowlingin oman äänen kuulumattomuus häiritsee. Kirjan kirjoittaja ei ole ollenkaan haastatellut Rowlingia itseään, vaan napsinut paloja haastatteluista ym. Kirja myös ylistää Rowlingia aivan liikaa, eikä osaa kertoa hänestä neutraalisti lainkaan. Lisäksi haittasivat suomentajien omituiset päätökset kääntää punnat markoiksi eikä euroiksi.
Subbu Chandrasekaran
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
JK Rowling undoubtedly is an icon in her generation.. needless to say, one has to be get to know her life.. her humbling beginnings, her struggles.. how she pursued her passion.. and how she hit it all big.. and needless to say .. success really hasn't rattled her passion for writing or changed her as a person..

good read ... go for it
Margarida B.
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Para os fãs de J K Rowling, um livro a ler. Mesmo para os curiosos, um livro interessante que nos conta o percurso de vida da autora, desde a infância até à idade adulta. Gostei muito de o ler pela primeira vez e de ficar a saber tantos detalhes da vida de Rowling... Entretanto ao longo dos anos, já o reli várias vezes.
Tardisgirl
Jan 22, 2014 marked it as to-read
This book is going back on my to-read list. I was trying to read the Dutch translation. But all those Dutch words for things like muggles and names like Dumbledore etc, irritates me so much, it's just impossible to keep reading. So I will wait till I find an English copy.
Bia
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Although I loved to get to know more about J.K, I felt like I was reading a newspaper article. I felt like some things that were mentioned didn't really matter, and the writing style of the author bored me. I give it a 3 because I was very interested in Jo's life.
Laura Crosse
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this a good few years back and it was a really interesting insight into JK's world before Harry Potter. She really is an amazing lady and after reading this you won't begrudge her one penny of her fortune.
minna
24.9.2007
Smith, Sean: J.K. Rowling - Elämäkerta (J.K. Rowling. A Biography. The Genious Behind Harry Potter, 2003)
- Valaiseva elämäkerta, mutta ei järin kiinnostava kirjana. Kyllähän tän ihan luki nyt kun ei oo seuraavaa Harryakaan vielä, mut ei oo kyllä elämäkertana ihmeellinen teos.
  • J.K. Rowling
  • Conversations with J.K. Rowling
  • The Plot Thickens... Harry Potter Investigated by Fans for Fans
  • The Wisdom of Harry Potter: What Our Favorite Hero Teaches Us About Moral Choices
  • The Ivory Tower and Harry Potter: Perspectives on a Literary Phenomenon
  • The Hidden Myths in Harry Potter: Spellbinding Map and Book of Secrets
  • Reading Harry Potter: Critical Essays
  • Who Killed Albus Dumbledore?: What Really Happened in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince? Six Expert Harry Potter Detectives Examine the Evidenc
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to the World of Harry Potter
  • The Great Snape Debate
  • J. K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter
  • If Harry Potter Ran General Electric: Leadership Wisdom from the World of the Wizards
  • So You Think You Know Harry Potter?: Over 1000 Wizard Quiz Questions
  • The Trust: The Private and Powerful Family Behind the New York Times
  • Harry Potter Collector's Handbook
  • Business as Unusual
  • The Missing Collection by Margaret Peterson Haddix: Found; Sent; Sabotaged; Torn
  • Unlocking Harry Potter: Five Keys for the Serious Reader
Sean Smith is the UK’s leading celebrity biographer and the author of the number one bestseller Cheryl, as well as bestselling books about Tom Jones, Robbie Williams and Kate Middleton.

His books about the most famous people of our times has been translated throughout the world. His subjects include Adele, Kim Kardashian, Gary Barlow, Kylie Minogue, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Victoria Beckh
More about Sean Smith

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99