Start by marking “The Fire of Love” as Want to Read:
The Fire of Love

The Fire of Love

This treatise is partly autobiographical and partly a practical manual to the devout life. Erratic, even turbulent at times, the fire explores the shadow-land beyond the realm of common Christian experience.
Published May 30th 1972 by Penguin Classics (first published 1340)

To ask other readers questions about The Fire of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fire of Love

Start your review of The Fire of Love
Darren Jansen
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a medieval book written in Latin (Incendium Amoris ) by an English man, Richard Rolle, and then later translated into Middle English by another writer. The version that I read I downloaded as a pdf from the Gutenberg project. It included the two books of The Fire of Love as well as another short book called The Mending of Life. I found this book to be a great encouragement to set my mind on eternal things rather than the ephemeral. Book one of The Fire of Love and The Mending of Life wer ...more
Chris
14th-c. devotional reading. The lovely parts are truly spectacular. The rest, eh, it's in keeping with the genre. I'm still not always sure how to use this sort of thing for my own spirituality tbh.
Paul Gaya Ochieng Simeon Juma
Richard Rolle wrote this for everyone who are trying to live by the straight and narrow. It is a guide on what God wants from us and how to live by his rules. He tells us about wisdom and knowledge and the difference. He also teaches the value of meditation and being prayerful. He teaches us to to persevere especially in difficult times and remain steadfast in the lord. He tries to explain why innocent people suffer and what we should do.

Unfortunately, he has been criticized for his theories ab
David Gialouras
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
when I started it, I thought, typical God squad tosh

then by chapter 9 he convinced me

what he's saying sounds a bit like Buddhism or Ancient Greek philosophy (via Marcus Aurelius)

he mentions a woman with a horned Medayval hat, a woman with big tits and one that he goosed

they give him a ticking off and he learns his lesson

he mentions wanking a couple of times

all the fun of the fair

Diane
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Treatise on the love of God by pre-reformation English mystic Richard Rolle. Beautifully writtend and thought-provoking.
Joanne
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was very rewarding. it is difficult to read because of the century it was written... but it has alot to say... If you haven't read it, I suggest that you do.
David M.

• Illness as Metaphor & AIDS and Its Metaphors
  • Utopia
  • The Ladder of Perfection
  • The Cloud of Unknowing and Other Works
  • As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams: Recollections of a Woman in Eleventh-Century Japan
  • The Origins of the Christian Mystical Tradition: From Plato to Denys
  • Margery Kempe's Dissenting Fictions
Richard Rolle (1290/1300 – late September 1349) was an English hermit, mystic, and religious writer. He is also known as Richard Rolle of Hampole or de Hampole, since at the end of his life he lived near a Cistercian nunnery in Hampole, Yorkshire. In the words of Nicholas Watson, scholarly research has shown that "during the fifteenth century he was one of the most widely read of English writers, ...more

News & Interviews