Start by marking “The Faithful” as Want to Read:
The Faithful

The Faithful

At the Mountains of Madness meets They Live! in a new novel from Matt Hayward, the Bram Stoker Award-nominated author of What Do Monsters Fear?

After comedian Leo Cartwright performs his farewell comedy show in New York City, a young man ailed by cerebral palsy confides in him about odd dreams and a place he calls No Man’s Land. Leo thinks nothing of it until the man, Chr
Published October 15th 2018 by Sinister Grin Press

To ask other readers questions about The Faithful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faithful

Start your review of The Faithful
The Grim Reader
Fuck this guy and all those who knew about his harassment of women but chose not to say anything.
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
This is my first Matt Hayward book. I really had no clue what to expect going in, other than some religious nutfuckery with a side of Lovecraft. Well, both of those elements were definitely present. As well as a splash of Alien that made me very happy at key scenes.

The Faithful was a good read. It hooked me immediately. I had to know what was happening. In a lot of ways it reminded me of an abbreviated version of The Stand (at least from what I read of The Stand). Lots of people use the ragtag b
Red Lace Reviews
Leo Cartwright's retirement plan doesn't go exactly to plan - not when he meets Christopher Tate after his very last show. Christopher has a secret to share, one that he entrusts with his favourite comedian. When Christopher ends up dead soon thereafter, what's Leo to do but act on the information he's been given, even if it's completely insane? Setting out to find the mysterious town named Elswich, Leo can't deny there's something off about the entire thing. For one thing, the community of the ...more
Frank Errington
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review copy

The beginning of Matt Hayward's latest novel finds Jonsey Morris trying to connect with his son, the problem is Caleb has no idea Jonesy is his father.

Then there's Leo Cartwright, a comedian who just recorded his final special and his last show as he prepares for retirement. After the show, Leo meets up with Christopher Tate who has cerebral palsy. Christopher shares a very strange story...

"'A strange town,' Christopher continued. 'In my dreams. People are… people are odd there. I kno
Glenn Rolfe
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come.
David Murphy
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again Matt Hayward has proven that he is a future driving force within this genre. I have read everything he has written and I truly believe he learns from each novel he writes. This is now my favourite by him.

The book has a real lovecraft feel to it so any fans of that style of horror will really love this. Once again Matt's true talent really shines in his characters. He writes believable characters that show development through out, you become engrossed in these characters and fins yours
Brandon
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Alright. Here it is. The last book I'm reading of 2018. There's a few others I wanted to get to before the year was through, but that didn't work out...clearly, since it's almost February 2019.

Originally posted on my blog at http://undivineinterventions.blogspot...

I really just want to get my "best of list" done and move on, frankly. I want to get back to reading stuff from 1988.

And, as such, my best-of will be ready soon.

Now, I'm not sure if I am just burnt out on "modern horror" but, The Fait
Russell Coy
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're into redneck cults and cosmic horror, Matt Hayward's got a tale for you. THE FAITHFUL is a supernatural thriller that draws you in with believable characters and spare but flowing prose, all the while teasing you with glimpses of the horrors to come. The last few chapters won't disappoint, either, as Hayward delivers all the carnage your stomach can take in sickening Technicolor.

This a wonderful addition to the "small town cult" section of your horror bookshelf, one that comes with an
Tim Meyer
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun novel of cosmic horror. Silent Hill meets Lovecraft. Great character development and a mysterious plot really pulls the reader along. THE FAITHFUL is the definition of a page-turner. If you're into cults that worship cosmic deities, mysterious small towns that sit on the border between worlds, and a group of interesting characters that you want to see survive the madness being thrown at them, then this is the horror novel for you.
Jamie
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2019 has been an unforgettable year for me, in many ways. While it has been clouded with sorrow, there have been some sunny moments as well. One bright spot this year is my discovery of even MORE talented authors. My bookshelves are bursting with new found favorites, and Matt Hayward’s work is among them.

I feel like I showed up a bit late to the party, but then I claimed a quiet spot in a dark corner and never left. Now I’ve been sitting here with a stack of Matt’s books, trying to pace myself
Jim Coniglio
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THE FAITHFUL is the 3rd Matt Hayward novel I have read, and I have yet to be disappointed. As with his last novel THE PRACTITIONERS (with Patrick Lacey), Matt shows that he has a firm grasp on the cosmic horror feel while still keeping us grounded in the real world.

The synopsis from the book cover gives a good foothold into the story, and I do not want to give any story points away. So I am going to concentrate on the writing itself with no spoilers. At its core this is a character-driven novel.
V. Castro
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
An evil eye hovering over a church? Count me in!
I read this book in a day because I had a sick child and I could not get enough. Matt pulled on my heart strings as well as my morbid curiosity when it comes to anything creepy.
You know these people aren't just crazy, there something darker at work that left me turning the pages like I was turning the corner in some dark maze, never knowing where the danger might be lurking.
The action and tension remained throughout only to stop when digging into
The Scary Reviews
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
I was right, this was one hell of an adventure. My review is posted here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1JU ...more
Diamond
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was one hell of a fun read! I love creepy isolated towns with secrets almost as much as I love haunted houses, and this story is a great addition. Hayward doesn't waste much time getting the action started, but gradually shows more of the why as it goes along, and builds up to one action packed, bloodbath of a climax!

The antagonists have a great blend of creepy cult, with a matter of fact practicality and a dash of Invasion of the Body Snatchers that made them particularly formidable and me
Kevin L
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. This is a very entertaining and fast paced horror story with some very nice nods to The Cthulhu Mythos.

The characters were generally engaging and there is some good dialogue between them. The story falls apart a bit if you think about it too much, but that’s the peril of having an entirely evil village in a modern setting where you start thinking about school districts, US Postal service, USDA, state services, utilities, etc. in today’s hyper-connected world.

The book could’ve used a
Buveneswary Pillai
A comedian in a horror novel? - I knew the story was going to be unique!

The part where Kate met Mrs.Cole was creepy and anxiety-ridden.

But most of all the lucid dream scenes were creative and inventive.

A pageturner definitely, but I can't say its unputdownable because I have to take breaths and catch breaths before I'm plunged into more horrors.
Trisha Leslie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly brilliant read, loved it. The imagery is fantastic and the characters engaging - you become invested. Definitely got a bit of a Lovecraft vibe, mixed with old school B list horror movies. Supernatural and spiritual perfectly blended. Recommend to any and all horror fans
Mikael
Aug 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Fun enough book. Good pacing, build up and characters caught my interest and held it even though the second part was less good with a lackluster payoff and a bit too much of a scooby dooby feeling to it.
Kev Harrison

• Kill For Satan!
  • Kill Hill Carnage
  • Coyote Songs
  • The Rust Maidens
  • Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires, #1)
  • Bordertown