Start by marking “The New American Plate Cookbook: Recipes for a Healthy Weight and a Healthy Life” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
We all want great-tasting meals, but we also want meals that help us maintain a healthy weight and live longer, healthier lives. Marrying the art and science of food, The New American Plate Cookbook is the first cookbook designed to accomplish all three goals. A team of cooks, nutritionists, food writers, scientists, and others who are passionate about food collaborated to ...more
Published March 8th 2005 by University of California Press

To ask other readers questions about The New American Plate Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New American Plate Cookbook

Kendra
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I have made six recipes from this cookbook and have really enjoyed most of them. What I most appreciate is the introduction to new ingredients and the focus on healthy, yet beautiful, wholesome food.

The concept behind the book is that the American way of eating has to change. Instead of the traditional meat and potatoes dinner with a few peas on the side, our menus need to incorporate a lot more vegetables and whole grains and consume much less meat.

Thanks to this book, in the past two weeks I
Charleen
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, cookbooks
Everything in this book has been delicious! I checked this book out at the library to get ideas on shifting our ratio of vegetable to meat. I had each member of the family pick out a one-pot meal to make it easier, and every single recipe we tried was absolutely delicious! I am very happy to have my own copy and am thinking of getting extras for gifts. We made the beef stew (very tender, tasty meal -- seemed to make a lot more than the servings listed so we had leftovers), the bowtie pasta with ...more
Julie
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Healthy Eaters
Shelves: cookbooks
This book has some great ideas to help you get more fruits and vegetables into your diet. The main drawback is that many of the recipes require a lot of time and work.

You can get many of the recipes online at www.aicr.org. I highly recommend this website.

My favorite recipe is the Turkey Sloppy Joes, after I cook the sloppy joe mix, I put it through the food processor for a few pulses so it looks more like the traditional "sloppy joe". It's become a staple weeknight dinner!
Casey
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
I love the diet this book portrays. Its not a fad diet, but emphasizes balance. But not just equal amounts of foods ... it shows that plant-based foods are the most healthy and thus should take up most of your plate, with animal foods taking up a smaller role, unlike the typical "American" diet.

Note ... I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but will update this review when I have.
Diane
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook from the American Institute for Cancer Research highlights their meal pattern plan, the New American Plate, formulated from the evidence base for diet and cancer prevention. A great all-around cookbook with abundant healthy eating tips.
Beth Yeh
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very informative, great recipes. We liked the stuffed peppers so far. I thought the food philosopy was intriguing and I was inspired to visit the ACRI website and now get recipes in my inbox from them!
Mary Ann
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I haven't made it through all the recipes, but this was recommended to us by friends and I've gone back to it again thanks to you -- Jodi & Peter. I like the idea behind the book - less meat, more veggies and grains. The salmon recipe is awesome, as is the quinoa salad.
Malani
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
okay, not great
Shannon Rinck
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Finally, a book of healthy recipes that actually look good and I would eat!
lisa
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Roasted red pepper soup with corn.
Sally Dayton
I highly recommend this cookbook. Everything I have ever made from it has been easy to make and delicious.
Marina
Nov 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
It has healthy and delicious recipes and full page color pictures of the recipes. It's a fantastic cookbook!
Carlie
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recipes with meat more as a side dish, very good, best diet for the environment also.
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Lots of vegetables, but a little boring. It is healthy and has nice pictures, however the food as described was plain. This book could use some spice.
Janet Seiz