Start by marking “Dream Wide Awake: Was she born with a gift or a curse?” as Want to Read:
Dream Wide Awake: Was she born with a gift or a curse?

Dream Wide Awake: Was she born with a gift or a curse?

Three boys are missing. Six-year-old Mikala Daly can see the spirit of one of those boys.

Through dreams, the murdered boy shows Mikala that the other two boys are alive but clinging to life. She knows she can find and save them. But will Daddy let her?

One of the best detectives in town, Mikala’s father, Jack Daly, searches frantically for the abducted boys. Years befor
Published September 15th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Dream Wide Awake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream Wide Awake

Start your review of Dream Wide Awake: Was she born with a gift or a curse?
Gail Meath
Jul 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What amazing psychological thriller this is! I admittedly haven’t ventured far from my preferred genre of Historical fiction, but I am so glad I decided to try something new. From the first page until the last, this book gripped me. The characters were fantastic, and I especially loved Mikala and found the entire concept chilling, captivating and unique. Extremely well done and I highly recommend!
Loraine
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An Innovative Thriller. My favorite character in Dream Wide Awake is Lisa, who is married to Jack Daly, a detective working on the case of three missing local boys. Lisa was clairvoyant from a young age and shares that gift with her grandmother, her sister, and her daughter. I especially enjoyed her relationship with her grandmother, which is shown to us in flashbacks. While the first half of the book is certainly enjoyable, it is the second half that had me reading faster and faster and faster ...more
Bill Callahan
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
CJ Zahner takes you into the world of ESP and insight at multiple levels in this suspense thriller. It keeps the reader guessing the outcome until the last sentences.
Chris Johnson
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dream Wide Awake is one of the best books I’ve read this year.

From the first chapter that grabbed my attention to the final epilogue that ended like the perfect movie, this yarn kept my attention to the end.

It’s the perfect blend of cat-and-mouse with a psychic kidnapped being tackled by another psychic. But this is not just any psychic; it’s a little girl called Mikala from a family of “witches”. It contains the backdrop of government projects too!

I enjoyed the characters, their backstories, an
Gerri
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not sure why I bought this book, but am so glad I did. A fantastic story, and the author did a superb job in developing all the characters, male and female, child and adult. Mikalia was my favorite.
There was also a well developed sense of "family" among family members as well as the children used as part of the government's project.
Read the author's synopsis to get a sense of what the book is about; I'm afraid I'd give too much away if I tried to explain what takes place.
I will say that you won'
Stephen King
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is no greater fear than a parent has for the well-being of their child. Not since I read Pet Sematary, many, many years ago have I read a book that made me worry, and hope that everything would work out in the end. Dream Wide Awake, starts like a freight train, and carried me along with it. The characters are well drawn, and I thoroughly recommend this book.
This author, is one I will be following from now on.
Dawn
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stunned

Wow, this book had me guessing the whole time. I thought it was one person then changed to another then back again. Never saw this ending. Great, great great
Tanya
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
He is scared someone is after his daughter as she has visions. She tells him about three missing boys and he tries to find them while hiding where he got the information. Can he find them? Can he keep her safe? See what will happen

Heather Havern
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read thriller! This was a page turner from start to end. Just when you thought you had it figured out, guess what you don't! This unpredictable, can't put it down novel is an excellent choice. Can't wait from more from this author! ...more
Jennifer Cone
Jul 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh My Goodness!!

This is the first thriller I have read. I absolutely loved it!!! The tense feelings, the wondering, being scared, and then relief. I loved it all!! Mikala is a very special girl with a Mom and Aunt that have special gifts! This book will envelop you; you won't be able to put it down. I was so taken; I had to finish reading to see if the abducted boys made it out alive. You won't be dissolved with this story!!
Tina
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, this is a book that stands out as something special. Great story, well plotted and unmissable. If I had a hard copy, it would probably be dog-eared by now. I really liked this book, it has a great twist to it that I haven’t read before.

Rebecca
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Was hooked from the first page ! Loved this book.
Jane Mccartney
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting mystery. I read it in one day. I just couldn't stop until I finished. I will keep reading books by this author. ...more
Peggy
Aug 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is one hell of a page turner! Well put together!
Crystal
Oct 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was intriguing, interesting, suspenseful, easy to read, mysterious and kept guessing. However, I had pretty good idea who did it before end of book through most of book I was kept engrossed.
I recommend and Will read again.
I received a copy of this book for my honest opinion. This review is my honest opinion.
Alison Davis
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This story will definitely keep you on your toes from start to finish. I could not put it down once I started it and read it all in one sitting. The story line is very original and the author wrote it perfectly!! Characters are all well developed and you are able to see them clearly in your mind.
Wendy King
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a gripping tale of a young psychic girl trying to rescue some boys before they die. But in this case the kidnapper has a stronger gift than her. Will she save them?

I was given this book from the author via Voracious Readers Only.
James DeHaven
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
CJ Zahner has a way of painting with words.
She envelops you with complete descriptions
of the situation and feelings of her characters.
She writes a full picture for the minds eye,
and one is impressed by her dialogue and descriptive enhancements.
I was drawn in quickly. You feel like you are right there,
in the story, with the characters.
It is hard to put down, it is that good.
Karen
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a totally cool book with an amazing storyline! If you like the supernatural then this is for you. An intriguing case that deals with the psychic world and an extremely brave little girl! I loved every aspect of this book and the twist at the end. A fantastic read that I highly recommend!!!
C.J. Zahner
Aug 09, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
If you like Stephen King's The Institute, you'll like Dream Wide Awake. Is it fiction? Or could a program like Project Dream exist today? You decide.

When Detective Jack Daly married Lisa, he knew she had a sixth sense. What he didn't count on was his daughter inheriting that gift--curse. Now three boys are missing and six-year-old Mikala can use her dreams to help her father find the boys.

If he allows her to help him, will he risk her life?

What reviewers are saying: "I picked this up and could.
Christine Grabowski
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
The teal green cover drew me in, and I'm always curious about dreams. Within just a few paragraphs, I was hooked—not only on the mystery, but because of the fully developed characters. I particularly loved Mikala. It's refreshing to have a strong female child character in an adult book.

Without giving too much away, the book is about some boys kidnapped by a graduate of a government Dream Project who wants to escape his life. These graduates all have the psychic power of being able to dream wide
Hannah
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author gave me a free ecopy of this book in exchange for an honest review, and what an amazing read! I've never read a thriller with a paranormal edge before but the author combines the two perfectly, delivering a fast-paced and addictive thriller with a curious and unique plot. Don't judge it by its cover, which I didn't feel fitted the genre as much as it could've done - this is well in line with the crime thriller genre and is excellently written. This is well worth a read!

You can read my
Janice Drake
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It kept the twists and excitement coming. I read the whole book in one sitting. The characters were believable and story was well written. I look forward to reading more about Mikala and her gifts.

I received this book as an ARC and wished to leave a review.
Samantha Waldow
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good. Loved the super natural and the suspense. You think you know who did it but man when you find out you didnt even know. Well written and great characters.
Isabel Nicholson
Jul 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book is fantastic. If you like psychological thrillers this is one of the best I have read. If that genre is not your usual style this is so well written it might just change your mind. It’s action packed, very tense and full of drama. The tension builds from the first page and continues throughout. There are also lighter moments that bring a smile to your face, the interactions between Mikala and her brothers are really cute and sweet, and these mean the story never gets too intense t ...more
Jacqui Norris
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Six year old Mikala was born with a gift, the gift of being able to communicate with the other side. She is trying to help a little boy that keeps coming to her. She desperately wants her dad, a detective in town to follow the clues. But how do you tell people your six year old is feeding you the clues to locate these abducted boys? Trust because an issue for Jack Daly, but he believes in his daughter and will stop at nothing to follow the clues. The problem is, someone knows of Mikayla's powers ...more
Shelly Wygant
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
As three boys are missing there is one little girl who's dreams might bring them home. I love a good mystery and was expecting one with this read. What I didn't expect was the wild ride that it took you on. From past to present there is so much going on with so many characters. Ms. Zahner did a phenomenal job of keeping it all straight. You could have easily gotten lost but each chapter took you down a different path.

This read has so many unique characters. The mystery of the kidnapper was kept
Michelle
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dream Wide Awake is a fascinating, suspenseful page-turner that had me completely captivated from the start. I will admit that I have always been interested in dreams and the interpretations of them so this book really caught my attention. The characters are well developed, the story is well written and this author has created an amazing world that could definitely become a book series or a tv show. If dreams have always intrigued you I highly recommend you read this book. I voluntarily reviewed ...more
Bev
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, have-read
Mikala is a six-year-old girl. She has visions of three missing boys. Long before she was born, her father, Detective Jack Daly married into a family who had visions. Now his daughter has them. He is trying to keep this a secret. He works very hard to find the boys before the American government finds out that Mikala is helping her and takes her away and puts her in Project Dream. One daunting question haunts Jack. Is it true? Is death the only way out of Project Dream? You will need to read the ...more
Bridget Hickey
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jack is a detective and is working on a case involving three missing boys.Lisa his wife ,the grandmother and her sister and her very own daughter have dreams and can see things.Although his daughter could help him with this case he fears anyone knowing about her special abilities . Year's earlier his sister was taken by the government to special camp for people with these abilities . The book has lots so suspense and action and will definitely keep you engaged the ending is a bit of a cliffhange ...more
Paranormal inspiration? 1 1 Dec 04, 2018 07:21AM

• The Truth Keeps Silent (Truth & Lies, #1)
  • THE PERFECT SISTER
  • Say Everything
  • Candy Coated Chaos (Sweet Treats, #1)
  • Commanding Casey (West Coast Doms, #2)
  • 'Twas the Mystery Before Christmas
  • The Call
  • The Romanov Legacy: A Novel
  • Redemption: A Navy SEAL, Hometown Hero, Happily Ever After Novel (Bonds of Brotherhood Book 1)
  • Taken (Midwest Sins #1)
  • Hatchet (Memories of Murder, #1)
  • A Demon's Witch (Demon's Witch, #1)
  • Lycaon's Fire
  • Gorgeous Scars (Aspen Gold, #14)
  • Borrowed Time (Book 1 - Broken Promises)
  • Ghost in the Machine
  • The List: Alyssa's Revenge (Deep State Mysteries #2)
  • Burning Water (Gwynn Reznick #3)
Cyndie "CJ" Zahner is a digital-book hoarder, lover of can't-put-down books, runner, author, and Mensa wannabe. That last trait explains the inspiration for her first novel, The Suicide Gene. Her second book, Dream Wide Awake, was inspired during long runs on Presque Isle State Park in her hometown of Erie, Pennsylvania. She is a proud mother of three and an even prouder grandmother of one.

Before

News & Interviews

It's almost November, which can mean only one thing in the writing community: It's time to get ready for National Novel Writing...