Start by marking “Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)” as Want to Read:
Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)

Threshold

(Whyborne & Griffin #2)

L’introverso studioso Percival Endicott Whyborne desidera solo condurre una vita tranquilla insieme al suo amante, il detective ex-Pinkerton Griffin Flaherty. Sfortunatamente il padre di Whyborne, un grosso magnate delle ferrovie, è di tutt’altro avviso e decide di ingaggiare Griffin per indagare su alcuni misteriosi avvenimenti in una miniera di carbone.
Whyborne, Gr
Kindle Edition
Published September 24th 2018 by Triskell (first published June 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Threshold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Threshold

Shile

-Writing - Excellent, this books are so good, i couldn't stop when i started reading.

-The mystery - Oh dear lawd! It is so spooky and entertaining.

-The characters- Amazing, i love them so much. Christine gets a medal.

- The chemistry and the Sex- Believable and Hot

Enjoyed book 2 looking forward to the rest of the series.

Thanks to my fellow buddy readers, Ele, Linda, Moony, Rosa, Teal and Xia for an awesome time.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This was me reading the majority of this book:

description

Because this is horror, man, and I don't do horror!!

I bet I currently have a hairball residing in my belly from chewing the ends of my ponytail while reading this.

Now, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. I famously had to hide behind my husband on our second date in the movie the
Susan
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Let’s start with the very few things that just kinda sorta bugged me about the book:

1. Editing…it could have used one more pass by a copy editor. There were quite a few errors that proved a minor distraction.
2. Not enough Whyborne AND Griffin time. The first book was so much time together, this one felt almost…lacking. I has a sad.
3. The guy on the cover reminds me of Peter Dinklage kinda. And that just throws me every time.

NOW...

WHAT I LOVED:

1. WHYBORNE!!!!! I love Percival Endi/>WHAT/>Let’s
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
5 blinding stars.

Okay. Let us be serious for a moment.

All reservations I may have had about this series are now gone bye, bye.

I absolutely loved this book. It is over the top, the word ‘member’ still appears and Whyborne is still very, very proper.

But it all works so brilliantly and I wouldn’t want a single thing to change. I certainly don’t EVER want Whyborne to change. His inner monologues were just the absolute shit and he was hilarious. Whyborne definitely wouldn’t think he is being hilarious but tr
Barbara➰
Oh how I loved this one! It was quite humorous at times. I love that Whyborne seems to be developing more of a quick wit even if it is just in his thoughts. He had me laughing several times. We get more of their relationship in this one. There's more sweet and tender moments that I just ate up. But oh man...I wanted to throttle Griffin at one time. I hate Whyborne had such awful insecurities and felt really bad for him.

There's also some creepy crawly thingys that are what nightmares are made of.

There's also some creepy crawly thingys that are what nightmares are made of.

And can I just say I'm half in love with Christine. I have a serious girl-crush on her. I want to be her friend so bad.

I could kick myself for not reading this series before now.
Simone
Audiobook: ***4.5 Stars***
Story: ***4 - 4.5 Stars***

The mystery/paranormal part was a bit... well, out of this world ;-), but I still enjoyed it even more than Widdershins. Looks like I'm in for a hellish ride...

And even if I'm the only one on this planet who loves Julian G. Simmons's narration... I really do! ;-)

After a short detour, I'll be back with book #3.
Ingie
Written May 18, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - a favorite couple of lovebirds - once again I got a wonderful mystery adventure with them

Threshold is the second part in the Whyborne & Griffin series. Historical crime and a bit paranormal spooky adventures featureing a wonderful couple of lovebirds, Whybourne & Griffin.

I was listening to the audiobook (little more than 7 hours) instead of reading an ebook this time. It's quite new for me but after a while I really started to like this funny and 'vivid' narration by Julian G. Simmons. His voicthem
2014
Ms. Smartarse
My enthusiasm for Widdershins took me by complete surprise. While I wasn't expecting to despise it by any means, I did maintain a 'healthy' dose of distrust throughout the reading experience. So when I eventually realized how much I had actually enjoyed it, I hurriedly threw myself into the 2nd book of the series, lest I lose momentum.

Diving into a book

Being an amateur skeptic with delusions of grand
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"I spoke thirteen languages, and yet all my words deserted me in these moments."

_________________________

The Plot
I found myself interested and understanding more of this mystery plot than the one in Widdershins. Mostly because the pace was set at a pace that kept me guessing and wanting more. I enjoy stories that leave some chapters in cliff-hangers - and Threshold definitely came through.

The characters were a hard and fast fall for me. I loved each of their unique personalities and how we got to get to know more about both Christine and Griffin.

N_________________________
Macky
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who wants to read something fresh and different.
Recommended to Macky by: Simons Reviews
Before I go into gush mode over the book Ive just got to give big props to the character of Christine. A feisty,no nonsense, brusque, would have done Mrs Pankhurst proud, kick ass female who might not always come over with the warm and fuzzies but by god if I was ever in the sort of situations these lot get into, then I know who I'd want covering my back! I think she has to be the best female leading character in any m/m romance Ive ever read. I said it in one of my updates... What a woman, and ...more
Ami
Percival Whyborne is surprised when his father wants to hire his detective lover (not that his father knows about that!) Griffin to investigate the possibility of something otherworldly happening at Threshold Mine. Together with Christine Putnam, the spunky and headstrong archaeologist, the three of them head to Threshold.

--------------

I definitely thought it was better than book #1. Whyborne and Griffin were solid -- and I totally loved how Whyborne worked his way outside the
Natalia
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Re-read October 2019
__________________________
Re-read November 2016
I almost forgot how much I love Whyborne :)
Richard Derus
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quiltbag, kindled
Rating: 3.5* of five, rounded up (actually out of four because there's a cat presented as a suitable companion animal for humans, which costs the perpetrator one star automatically)

The Publisher Says: Introverted scholar Percival Endicott Whyborne wants nothing more than to live quietly with his lover, ex-Pinkerton detective Griffin Flaherty. Unfortunately, Whyborne's railroad tycoon father has other ideas, namely hiring Griffin to investigate mysterious events at a coal mine.

Whybo/>The
Meags
5 Stars

That was AWESOME!!!

I'm sitting here scratching my head as to why it took me so long to pick up the second book in this series? Especially considering how impressed I was by the first book when I read it well over a year ago. Poor form, me!

Regardless of my personal shortcomings, this addition to the Whyborne & Griffin series was a great read. I was completely immersed from beginning to end, which is the height of esteem I can place on a book.

Here
Heather C
What did I love about this book?

The Characters: Whyborne and Griffin are so endearing and adorable and sweet. Some may say "overly sweet", but I love them!! And I also love how Christine is always at the ready to play the beard when she needs to. Plus, I love the banter between these three.

The Progression of the Relationship: I didn't think there was as much smexy-time in this book as there was in the first; of course, they weren't exactly in the safest place to be getting hot and heavy. Don't misunderstand me, these guy
Isabel
I'm so connected with this series that I can't stop reading it!

This second book has some very funny parts, but has also some really scary!!! My heart was beating so fast that I wanted to scream! I loved it!

Whyborne is amazing... he can be funny talking with whores, he can be brave dealing with aliens, he can be jealous of his lover's past or he can be romantic and sweet shy! He is complete! He is the heart of this series and I never get tired of him!

Griffin is also fantastic, not so complete as Whyborne, but he has a dark p
* A Reader Obsessed *
I liked this book but it was definitely more paranormal mystery than romance as compared to the first. That being said, it still had poignant moments between the two MC's and some LOL dialogue - but just not enough. I wanted more! Regardless, an excellent addition.
~Volha~
OMG, I loved this book! This time it takes Whyborne, Griffin and Christine to the mountains of Threshold where they encounter untold horror and face Griffin's past. It was equal parts fascinating and gruesome. I was in haven.

Whyborne out of his comfort zone is so adorable, so funny and at times awkward. He is no leader but for his lover and his best friend Christine he will face anything. Griffin is patient and loyal, he accepts Whyborne's quirks and loves him anyway. Christine is a force to be
Jenni Lea
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm really liking this series. Where the last book I read took me almost a week to finish, I gobbled this one up in less than a day. It was so entertaining! I'm loving these characters, especially Whyborne. He's just so prim and proper. He's scandalized by the thought of people walking about in their shirtsleeves. He makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. I'll be continuing this series post haste.
Vivian
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More supernatural shenanigans for Griffin and Whyborne to sort out with a little lot of help from Christine.

This was highly entertaining. Since less time was devoted to set up the world of Widdershins and the characters, one gets to enjoy more of the action and interaction between the characters. A nice twist as the three head out of their regular stomping grounds south to coal mining country. A couple surprises await them in Threshold and there's definitely a gruesome taint just like in t
Em
Poor Whyborne, he never does seem to get the quiet life he craves with Griffin does he! Whyborne has lost some of his nervousness and self doubt in this book and he's forced into taking the lead and being in control of an investigation. It does him the world of good!

The only slight quibble I have with this one is the amount of Whyborne and Griffin sexy time! It was slightly lacking, and I could have done with a little bit more. However, I'm still loving this series, it's a great mix
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.5*

Ok, first things first, I will never be a fan of m/m historicals for the reasons I mentioned in my review of Widdershins, but, and this is a big but ( NOT that kind of butt) this series is the exception and definitely worth reading and I can absolutely recommend it! ( even to historical haters like me)

I am loving these guys more and more each book and the freaky scary cases they so bravely and cleverly solve are creative and fun ( in a freaky and scary kind of way, of course).
I felt
Karen
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More things that go bump in the dark...

This series is turning out to be quite the fascination for me because I really, really don't like books about things that go bump in the dark and there is a lot of bumping in the dark in this book and not of the fun kind...although there is that too. So far the 'horror' part is not overwhelming and for me detailed just enough to have my imagination working but not focusing on the parts of the story that would normally keep me lying in bed awake at night and jump
Sofia

Enjoyed this flowing read, with a good story line and good character development. The story was chilling and good. Ms Hawk’s descriptions take you right in the coal mine town and I could feel the coal grit covering every nook and cranny of the place.

The characters are becoming more and more nuanced as we learn more about them and as they continue to grow. Hawk shows us their strong and weak points and this makes it a winner for me. We see Why’s and Griffin’s life after the ‘happy ever after’ with its ups a
Ann
Started this one on Audible today. Unfortunately there wasn't any traffic :(.

I will never get enough of Whyborne and Griffin, ever. The only niggle I had was I wanted just a smidge more time with just the two of them. I love their banter and battling the beasties didn't really leave them enough time I suppose.

Seeing a more assertive side of Whyborne was damn purr-worthy, Griffin thought so too. More of Griffin's backstory in this one, I liked that a lot even though it led
Eugenia
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally enjoyable and totally creepy!

The creep factor was turned up on this follow up to Widdershins-if you can believe it!

Here we have our heroes and heroine in the middle of nowhere W. Virginia trying to uncover the source of “odd” happenings and disappearances in a small mining town owned by Whyborne’s father. Odd does not even begin to cover this creepy town and the mines.

I enjoyed listening to it-the narrator seems to have improved his differentiation between the characters a
Chris
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another adventure with Whybourne and Griffin as they set off to Threshold to discover a number of unusual occurrences in the coal mine and local town. Of course nothing is easy and these two always end up in situations that test their new relationship, challenge their vulnerabilities and keep them on the edge of reality and the paranormal. I must say I love their companion Christine who is strong, no nonsense and clearly a defiant woman born in the wrong era !!! Love her no bullshit approach tow ...more
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Wow! A B Horror Flick Book!

This works well for my mood. An easy Saturday read.

This one needs more romancing and less action ^_^ ~

Pro's

I love Griffen and Ival
I love the page number
I love Christine!
I love the tight writing and flow of the book~

Con's

The Aliens...gosh, my mind kept telling me this is a B Horror flick your listening to, and sometimes they can be soooo fun, but honestly it's just not my fav thing to listen to when I already know the writing is suburb. So many books, so little time....my bad! I will be reading the other onebook~
The~
Pro's
Bev

Well, what can I say?? I loved this one. 4.5 stars from me, and a big thank you to Ingela, Sofia and Heather for the buddy read.

This was, (for me), so much better than Widdershins, I love the characters now and can empathise with them. And really, what more could you want from a book?? Sex, feats of derring-do, nasty giant prawns from Outer Space (for some bizarre reason, I immediately thought of Zoidberg from Futurama, weird!!) and a kick-ass heroine in the shape of Dr Christine Putnam, , woot!!

My fave part of t
Sara
Dude. This was crazy and gross and creepy and eww but it's Whyborne and Griffin and that is enough for me. I could have done with more of them and less of freakish winged crustaceans and Frankenpeeps but the moments we got with the boys were so worth it. Ugh. I just melt at Griffin saying "Ival" and good lord can someone pass me a fan and a cold drink when Whyborne takes control. *ahem* Hot, my dear. So damn hot.

Let me not forget the wonderful Christine who rocked in this once again and just le
The Challenge Fac...: Kelsey & Lou - Threshold 33 13 Jul 08, 2015 04:47PM
Threshold BR - Four M/M loving ladies so far. 111 39 Jun 17, 2014 05:56PM
The Backlot Gay B...: Threshold by Jordan L. Hawk 1 13 Nov 20, 2013 09:10PM
The Backlot Gay B...: "Threshold" by Jordan L. Hawk 2 18 Nov 11, 2013 07:56AM

• Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)
  • Another Place in Time
  • Tinsel Fish (Tyack & Frayne, #2)
  • Winter (The Haunted Heart, #1)
  • Downtime
Jordan L. Hawk is a non-binary queer author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave them a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When they aren’t writing, they brew their own beer and try to keep the cats from destroying the house. Their best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, ...more

Whyborne & Griffin (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)
  • Draakenwood  (Whyborne & Griffin, #9)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin, #10)
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)
“My dearest Pudding pie" I read aloud.
"Yes, my little turnip?"
"Hilarious," I muttered. "If you ever call me anything of the sort again we shall have words.”
22 likes
“I think I will remain here and work on my manuscript," Christine decided. "Going about talking to the locals sounds dreadfully boring. But if you find you need anyone shot, send word and I'll come at once.” 9 likes