Start by marking “Playboy's Silverstein Around the World” as Want to Read:
Playboy's Silverstein Around the World

Playboy's Silverstein Around the World

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  198 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews

Displaying the wit and marvelous drawings that made Shel Silverstein one of the most beloved artists of the century, Playboy's Silverstein Around the World collects and reproduces the twenty-three travel pieces Silverstein created for Playboy between 1957 and 1968.

While children and adults alike know Shel Silverstein for his classic books The Giving Tree, A Light in the

Published May 22nd 2007 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Playboy's Silverstein Around the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playboy's Silverstein Around the World

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Reprints the travels Shel Silverstein took for Playboy in the 60's. The Haight-Asbury chapter is worth the price of the book!
Christopher Storjohann
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
My own prejudice would come to the fore here (I am a huge fan of Shel Silverstein and every form of his works be they children’s books, oddball country and folk songs, or his Playboy work) except for the fact that this collection is a gem by any standard. Shel was commissioned to travel for Playboy and draw cartoons about a variety of places including Soviet Russia, late-coming states Alaska and Hawaii, Greenwich Village, Paris, San Franciso, and a nudist colony. This period also covers the cele ...more
Phrodrick
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bottom Line First: Shel Silverstein s’: Playboy’s Silverstein Around the world is a good introduction to a man who would prove to have many talents and book most likely to appeal to his fans. This is not a book for the whole family nor is it without its failure to anticipate the sensibilities of the western world 65 years later. Here are reprinted 23 cartoon sketch books produced by Silverstein as he traveled the world on assignment from Playboy Magazine.

Yes there are regular pictures and drawin
Callie Rose Tyler
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I am a huge Shel Silverstein fan and have read other FOR ADULTS ONLY work done by him, Different Dances, but this is something else entirely. This is a collection of articles from a time when Silverstein was touring the world as a corespondent for Playboy and they are reprinted here just as they were found in the magazine. This means that each section has a lame Playboy introduction, think carnival hawker, Girls, Girls, Girl see ya London, Spanish, Japanese girls. Taste the exotic flavor brough ...more
Stacey
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic look at what Shel Silverstein was doing before he was writing children's poetry. I have a soft spot in my heart for Shel, because once upon a time, when I was a kid in elementary school (Bellview, go Mustangs! - though I think now they're not the mustangs any more...), my mom had to work on a family program night. (It might even have been like parent-teacher conferences, I honestly don't remember.) And my dad, who *never* went to these things, had to go with us. This one and ...more
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
This guy Shel Silverstein was supposed to have been more well-known as a children's book author (I have not read any of his children's books maybe because they were expensive which my book-buying father could not afford then). But in the 1950's he was a cartoonist for Playboy and a pal of Hugh Hefner. His job was to draw cartoons, travel around the world, meet different people, draw them, meet beautiful naked women, take photos of them, draw them, draw caricatures, have himself photographed with ...more
Nevena
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shel Silverstein had the most bitchingest job for years. He was paid to travel around the world, stay in some of the most beautiful places and fuck hot women. In exchange he did a couple of pages of cartoons for Playboy, which he would have drawn anyway. He went to Europe, Africa, nudist colonies, baseball camps, Alaska et cetera. He’s dirty, but so loveable. Oh Uncle Shelby.

I don't think I could be a matador, I would not like to kill a water buffalo and I don't want to be hit by a car and left
Ed
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent fun with Shel Silverstein's unmistakable drawings.

741.5 A reproduction of the 23 travel pieces Silverstein created for Playboy between 1957 and 1968. Silverstein's travels, recording his adventures with his distinctive drawings, to Japan, Scandinavia, London, Paris, Moscow, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Africa, Greenwich Village, Alaska, Hawaii, Florida, a Nudist Camp, Mexico, Fire Island, Hollywood and Haight-Ashbury.
Karl Moore
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've only read an excerpt of this, but it's by far his best illustrations. At least, from what I've seen. They're actually in color, and for that alone, this is leagues better than any of his poetry books featuring the stark black & white illustrations.

Almost don't want to read the whole thing, in the same way, that nobody wants to eat the last cookie.

Peace!
Stephen
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Quite an amusing book. Silverstein definitely shows a lot of his wit in his cartoons and drawings. How he draws his own interpretations of the places he's been to (meeting comrades in Moscow, bullfighting in Madrid, mountain climbing in Switzerland, hunting in Africa, and making friends at a nudist camp to name a few) also creates a "scrapbook" feeling to the collection.
Molly
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's good- some of the comics come off as really dated and mildly offensive (Shel goes to Africa and cringes result), but for the most part, it's a good look at Shel as an adult man, which you don't often see in his children's drawings and poems. And what would I give to travel around the world with the only expectation being that I make a one panel comic about it? That's the life.
Krystal
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
just got this book at the advise of the photographer, Larry Moyer. He has 50-60 of his photographs in the book where he and Shel traveled around the world taking pictures and having fun for Playboy! It's a remarkable book.
Jaq Greenspon
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This collection of Silverstein's Travel cartoons and commentary is funny, irreverent and ultimately, quite meaningful. He starts off simply illustrating adventures but by the end, he's making some significant social commentary. Excellent read.
Nicole
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I like it so far. Very interesting didn't know this about him.
David
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
the giving tree guy is a cheeky lil horndog too
HeavyReader
Nov 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Shel Silverstein
Did you know that Shel Silverstein used to draw cartoons that appeared in Playboy? It's true and this book is testament to that part of his careeer!

As Silverstein travled around the world, he drew cartoons about his adventures that were then included in Playboy. The cartoons are clean, no naked women, except for the time when Silverstein was reporting in from a nudist camp, but there are definitely themes of Shel trying to convince women to have sex with him.

I accidentally stumbled upon this boo
Amber the Human
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Wow. I had no idea Silverstein did this. Essentially, Playboy paid him to travel to another country for a month and send back what he'd been up to and around a dozen cartoons. The craziest parts are getting gored by a bull in Spain while bullfighting and almost dying on the side of the road after a car accident while on safari in Africa. The nudist colony and San Francisco in 1968 seem tame after that.
Amanda
Aug 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: nudists, 60s gurus
Recommended to Amanda by: cleared holdshelf
I have a lot of Shel in my life. I learn more about him every book. This one was a book of travel cartoons that came out in Playboy magazine in the 60s ish. One of the critics said they liked Shel because he was funny but at no ones expense. We found the comics borderline racist. He draws himself as a character. I like that kind of thing. Cartoons featuring artists, books with writer characters and on and on.
Becka Robbins
Aug 25, 2007 rated it liked it
I've been looking off an on for years for Silverstein's more adult content - this book has a lot of the witty comics he drew for Playboy, along with pictures of him with many partially clothed women at teh Playboy mansion. Fluffy and easy on deep content, long on entertainment. Seeing these pictures of him in action changes one's perception a bit on a childhood hero, not necessarily in the best way.
Amy
Feb 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
I love Shel Silverstein! My friend has this book. I started reading it when I was visiting. He is not a big reader, so when he showed me this book I was ecstatic. I had never heard of it, and didn't even know that Shel Silverstein had started his career doing cartoons for Playboy. I'm looking forward to finishing it next time I visit him. I may even get a copy of my own for my library.
Justin Matott
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: author-study
Two stars means "it was okay" I am not sure what I expected from this book, and although it was interesting to see the side of Shel that had little to do with his kid's book career, it wasn't THAT interesting. He was given an assignment by Playboy to travel the world and cartoon his experiences. I would have been happier to have spent the time just reading some of his silly poems.
Robin
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Self-depricating humor and Shel's great line drawings.
Dawn Rutherford
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Delightful glimpses at fascinating places during transformative times.
John  Ervin
Mar 25, 2009
Afshin
Jun 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Mommy Laid An Egg: Or, Where Do Babies Come From?
  • The World According to Mimi Smartypants
  • A Brief History of Holiday Music
  • 101 Two-Letter Words
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
  • Witness to Roswell: Unmasking the 60-Year Cover-Up
  • Elegant Enigmas: The Art of Edward Gorey
  • i am neurotic: (and so are you)
  • My Dog Does My Homework!
  • Sham: How the Self-Help Movement Made America Helpless
  • The Year of Yes
  • Kockroach
  • Walter the Farting Dog: Trouble At the Yard Sale
  • A Short History of Film
  • National Geographic Image Collection
  • The Sun and the Moon: The Remarkable True Account of Hoaxers, Showmen, Dueling Journalists, and Lunar Man-Bats in Nineteenth-Century New York
  • Global Model Village
  • I Would Have Bought You A Cat , But... A Get Fuzzy Gift Book
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Journal of a Solitude
  • Living by the Word: Essays
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
    $12.99 $3.99