Start by marking “Who Wants a Cheap Rhinoceros?” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,734 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
Looking for a new pet? Bored with cats, dogs, goldfish, gerbils, and hamsters? How about a cheap rhinoceros?

Shel Silverstein's loving look at the joys of rhino ownership may convince you to be the one lucky kid to take home this very, very unusual pet.

Published August 1st 2002 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Who Wants a Cheap Rhinoceros?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Wants a Cheap Rhinoceros?

Caroline
Apr 24, 2015 Caroline rated it liked it
Illustrated in Silverstein’s signature spare black-and-white ink drawings, Who Wants a Cheap Rhinoceros? is a straightforward tale that’s really a pros and cons list (to owning a rhinoceros as a pet) than a story with beginning, middle, and end. There’s no moral; this is for the grins only. The drawings are eccentric and wild and truly the book’s defining quality (unlike Silverstein’s famous The Giving Tree, whose prose easily can compete alongside its drawings). The illustrations are essential ...more
Faeze Taheri
Dec 31, 2014 Faeze Taheri rated it liked it
it is very comfortable when you sit on his(rhinoceros's) lap
but not too comfortable when he sits on your lap.
^_^
Amy Forrester
Jun 10, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Are you looking for something new when it comes to pets? Done with goldfish, dogs, and cats? Well, how about a rhinoceros? Not only is he cheap, but he’s so helpful around the house! He’s an excellent coat hanger and he’ll help your granny make donuts. He’ll back you up when you want extra allowance and he’s great at intimidating a shark at the beach. Best of all, he’s easy to love.

The black and white pen and ink illustrations are hilarious and imaginative. Much like a classic boy-and-his-dog st
Ahmad Sharabiani
Who wants a cheap rhinoceros?, Shel Silverstain
عنوان: کی گرگدن ارزان میخواهد؛ اثر: شل سیلوراستاین؛ برگردان: رضی خدادادی (هیرمندی)؛ مشخصات نشر: تران، هوای تازه، 1381، در 54 ص. مصور، شابک: 9647222629، انگلیسی فارسی، این کتاب در سال 1378 با عنوان «کسی یک کرگدن ارزون نمیخواد؟» با برگردان «ساغر پژمان» توسط انتشارات کتاب مهناز به چاپ رسیده است. موضوغ: طنز آمریکایی، قرن 20م، کاریکاتورها و کارتونها، کرگدنها

Mitra
از تو کتابای بچهگیم پیداش کردم! ...more
Sam Wilkes
Apr 16, 2013 Sam Wilkes rated it really liked it
In this book you will follow a little boy that owns a rhinoceros that is trying to sell people on why rhinoceroses make the best pets. The book, in true Silverstein fashion, is extremely silly. This is one of the things that I always love about his books, sometimes reading a book that's just silly is good for you. It can show you that life isn't always really serious, and that silliness can be a good, refreshing thing. I've read Shel Silverstein poems since I was a kid, and I always loved them. ...more
Harun Harahap
Bahahaha..kocak as always.. paling suka gambar badaknya didandanin perempuan. Mwahahaha.. sakiiit jiwaaa...
Meaghan Grady
Who Wants A Cheap Rhinoceros? By: Shel Silverstein
Meaghan G., Spring 2015

**Author Study #3**

"Well, how about a rhinoceros? Not only is he cheap, but he’s so helpful around the house! He’s an excellent coat hanger and he’ll help your granny make donuts. He’ll back you up when you want extra allowance and he’s great at intimidating a shark at the beach. Best of all, he’s easy to love." After reading this Shel Silverstein classic, I most definently want a pet rhinoceros!! This book is such a cute y
Derrick
Jan 17, 2015 Derrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having a rhino to help you work and play and learn to live with, and share with. To have as a pet and friend. A rhino to love and be loved in return.

Shel Silverstein amazes me! By such simple (but yet deep meanings) in his books and stories he shared with the world his abilities to use language, humor, and wonderful images and drawings to tell that through simplicity deep, meaningful things can be discovered and life is for giving of all that one has.
His books have been apart of my life for many
Sarah Foote
Who wants a cheap Rhinoceros? is and entertaining tale about a rhinoceros for sale. It depicts all the good and bad things about having a rhinoceros as a pet. Great for young ages, easy to read and understand. It is imaginative and creative. There is some rhyming at the beginning to help young students get familiar with rhyming and what it is or sounds like. I would have students pick an animal that is not a traditional pet. Have them make a list of all the things their animal would be good at, ...more
Brenna Mclean
Dec 06, 2014 Brenna Mclean rated it really liked it
Who Wants a Cheap Rhinoceros is one of Shel's Silverstein's unusual, funny tales of kids rebelling against the norm. This book is a story about a boy who has the most unusual of pets: a rhinoceros! He goes around trying to sell it, and comes up with unordinary reasons as to why he would be such a good pet. It is a funny book that young readers would definitely enjoy!
I like pretty much all of Shel Silverstein's works. I always find myself laughing at how weird the tales are, and I really apprecia
Lesley Looper
This book is pretty clever, would probably give it 3.5 if available. If I were still teaching, this story could be the start of a lesson on creative writing--something about thinking outside the box. I enjoyed all the different "uses" for a cheap rhino! Fun illustrations too.
Nicole Marzan
Dec 06, 2014 Nicole Marzan rated it liked it
Shel Silverstein writes about all the fun one could have with a pet rhino. He shows through the lens of a little boy all the things that a rhinoceros can do: eating bad report cards before his parents see them, tiptoeing downstairs for a midnight snack, and collecting extra allowance.

This book was very cute. I enjoyed the concept of a pet other than one's standard dog, cat, fish, etc. The illustrations stayed with Shel's usual style; the pictures were very simple with a lot of thin black lines.
Catherine Toca
May 03, 2015 Catherine Toca rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdg-291
Who Wants A Cheap Rhinoceros? is a great classic from Shel Silverstein. The book features all black and white hand drawn illustrations, as is typical of the author. Although it appears long, there are very few words on each page so it is a quick read. The texts features quips narrated by the child in the story. Each picture has it's own page and is not bordered, but rather takes up as much space of the page as it needs and the words are placed in the free space.

This story is about a young boy w
Peacegal
Dec 26, 2010 Peacegal rated it liked it
Very silly and absurd like most of the Silverstein’s books, and filled with his signature fun, scibbly illustrations.

The only part I didn’t like was when the text suggested that the rhino was “good to yell at.”
Miestory
Jun 01, 2016 Miestory rated it really liked it

I do!
Rick
Mar 12, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Loved this book!
Melissa McMaster
This is a cute story about owning an unusual pet! This little boy owns a rhinoceros, and is trying to convince people to buy it from him. Just from looking at the title, Who Wants a Cheap Rhinoceros, you think “yeah, right. Who would actually want to have a rhinoceros as a pet?” but this little boy can be very convincing! He should definitely either grow up to be a salesman or a lawyer one day, because he has some serious persuasion skills as he is describing to people exactly why a rhinoceros i ...more
Jenica
Mar 02, 2013 Jenica rated it really liked it
Summary:
Who Wants a Cheap Rhinoceros? It is a delightful book written in poetic form. In this story the author is trying to sell a Rhinoceros. He gives many reasons as to why the reader should buy it. The reasons include anything from it being used a coat rack to it eating your report card before your parents see it. The illustrations are very simplistic and in black and white, but it works for this simple poetic type story.
Response:
This book reminded me of the time I tried to convince my paren
Hannah Axtelle
Oct 23, 2013 Hannah Axtelle rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, humor, poetry
This story is about a child selling a rhinoceros and it begins by naming off a few typical traits of a rhinoceros and then the story goes into all of the silly things you can use him for if you were to buy him. Silverstein was creative with coming up with so many ways that you can use a rhinoceros in everyday life and all of the fun adventures that you can have together. The very end of the story is that a rhinoceros is easy to love and you can tell that if anyone went through all of these antic ...more
Pauline Saynor
May 10, 2014 Pauline Saynor rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny adventures of a pet rhinoceros, who is good at helping make donuts, opening soda cans and imitating sharks, but difficult to build a house for and not too careful about watching where he walks. Great illustrations as always support the simple text and children and adults will love the humor and absurdities of this endearing creature. Everyone should have a rhino in their life.
Vanesa Salazar
This book was so enjoyable! There's nothing like a book with little to say, so much to look at with little color, but incredibly funny! Having a rhinoceros as a pet seems like a horrible idea, but who knew that there were all these great things one could enjoy with one! This book perfectly portrays the imagination of any child that could want such a massive animal. There hasn't been one point in my life where I haven't wanted a giraffe as a pet and this book humors my everlasting desires and onl ...more
Mariah Olson
Lisa Carroll
Apr 12, 2011 Lisa Carroll rated it it was amazing
Silverstein can do no wrong in my eyes. Everytime I made a trip to the library, I would always manage to come home with a Silverstein book. The Giving Tree and Where the Sidewalk Ends were always favorites for me. This is the first Silverstein book that I brought home from the library for my five-year old son to read. He was enchanted by the words, the silliness and by the simple black and white pictures. Who needs color when you can tell a story like Silverstein. He writes poetry for the child ...more
Minglun &
Jan 21, 2016 Minglun & rated it it was amazing
Another Shel Silverstein's book. I just love his books. They seem very simple and plain at first look. But when start reading, it turns out to be so much fun. Either a Rhino or a giraffe, you can feel them as a friend while reading from Shel Silverstein's book.
Lorna Collins
Jul 18, 2015 Lorna Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I ADORE Shel Silverstein. I own all his books and just recently discovered this one--his first. It reminds me of the delightful Christmas song " Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. His books always make me smile. This one is no exception.
Audrey Schuman
This is a cute story about owning an unusual pet. It follows a little boy around who is trying to convince people that owning a rhinoceros is great. It teaches that even though it this may not be normal, but it can still be loved and taken care of.
Kris
Jan 15, 2016 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Creative and fun. But the part about how the rhinoceros is "good for yelling at" and the picture with the poor rhino crying a single tear really bothered a couple of my kids.
Erin
May 07, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
If I read this in storytime, there would be a few pages that I would want to skip. (Like, "He is good for yelling at.") It's fun to read, as all Shel Silverstein is.
Romelle
Mar 31, 2015 Romelle rated it really liked it
Not a story, but a list of 30+ uses of a pet rhinoceros. Lots of fun and humor, sure to elicit laughs. Love Shel Silverstein's signature line drawings.
  • مدرسه نیكولا كوچولو
  • Rattletrap Car
  • قصه‌های من و بابام / لبخند ماه
  • Pretzel
  • Dinothesaurus: Prehistoric Poems and Paintings
  • قصه های بهرنگ
  • حدیثِ بی قراریِ ماهان
  • حسنی نگو یه دسته گل
  • My Dog Does My Homework!
  • Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Guess Again!
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Pioneer!: A Wilderness You'd Rather Not Tame
  • قصه‌های خوب برای بچه‌های خوب --- ۶
  • زمستان
  • Sam and the Tigers: A Retelling of 'Little Black Sambo'
  • Cinderella's Rat
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein...