Start by marking “Violet Ugly” as Want to Read:

(Granite Harbor #2)

Sixteen years ago, Merit Young left Granite Harbor, Maine, for California in search of a future that didn’t involve Ryan Taylor. He’d left her in pieces on her bedroom floor, delivering a blow she couldn’t have expected. But, now, at the request of her brother, Eli, she must return and confront the demons of her past—Ryan included. After the loss they both suffered, she is ...more

To ask other readers questions about Violet Ugly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Violet Ugly

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

“Some things are better left alone.
Some things are better left in the dark.
And some memories are better left unremembered.”

J. Lynn Bailey has once again delivered a heart-felt and emotional story that literally took my breath away. I read Violet Ugly in one sitting and I had to force myself throughout the story to stop, take a breath and let those beautiful words sink in. As much as I loved Peony Red, and I absolutely did, I think I may love Violet Ugly even more. If that’s at all possible?
Nicki K.
I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Nearly twenty years ago, Merit Young moved across the country to California for college, leaving behind her younger brother Eli and her father, as well as the man who broke her heart, Ryan Taylor. Despite Ryan being her brother's best friend, she has managed to avoid any and all interaction with the man for seventeen years. Until, that is, she receives a call from her brother, asking her to come home. Ryan h
Ashley
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Reviewed on: Ashes Books & Bobs.

"Sometimes, we live through traumas to show others how to do it. I believe we each have a walk of life, and sometimes, human decisions are made that affect us. But it’s how we come out of it, hopefully as better people."

J. Lynn Bailey, yet again, made me fall in love, not only with her characters but with her phenomenal writing. With each book, she creeps further up my list of go-to authors. Her writing is hopeful and suspenseful, making me anxious to see what
Tzelina
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**Thank you to the author and Netgalley for giving me the ARC in exchange for an honest review** #VioletUgly#NetGalley

5 amazing stars !!! First of all J.Lynn Bailey is a new author to me, "Violet Ugly " was my first book but surely won't be my last!!! The story was absolutely amazing ..the characters was so realistic and while reading I felt all characters emotions!! You know "Violet Ugly " is one of the books that you feel like you are part of plot the book ... that you are an observer!! The p
Jultri
Sixteen years ago, Merit Young left her home town and her family for college. Apart from a few brief visits, she has not been back since. What no one knows, is that she in fact ran away from her first love, Ryan Taylor, her brother's best friend and her own childhood friend, who scarred her so badly with his cruel parting words, that she has yet to heal from the wound. But she's back at the request of her beloved brother, albeit very reluctantly, to help Ryan mend after work injuries as a game w ...more
Talon
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Heartbreak can be telling. Heartbreak can be seen and not heard."

Very rarely do I love a "second" book way more than I do the first one but with Violet Ugly, it happened. I adored watching Ryan and Merit grow the way that they did and I loved that fact that they had a past. Second-chance romances are usually great refreshing reads for me and this one was no different!

"Some things are better left alone. Some things are better left in the dark. And some memories are better left unremembered."

I lo
Tera

description

"Sometimes, there are secrets we keep so deep that our minds forget, not wanting to remember what the quiet chaos feels like against our hearts."

J. Lynn Bailey delivers another angst-ridden, but beautiful story. Violet Ugly is a second chance romance between Ryan and Merit.  We met both of these characters in Peony Red, but now we get the scoop behind the awkward silences. While it is not necessary to read Peony Red to follow Violet Ugly, I would highly recommend it.

Ryan and Merit grew up to
Kerry Melton
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Merit and Ryan, along with her brother Eli, grow up as best friends. Ryan’s life hasn’t been easy. He found his salvation at Merit and Eli's childhood home. Merit and Eli grew up in a loving home but tragedy struck them and shattered their world.

There’s so much history between Merit and Ryan. Both are heartbroken; each one has secrets and regrets. Deep down, they both hope they mend those fences. Years have passed, and they both find themselves still mourning the loss of the relationship they lo
Lauren
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-first-reads
Merit and her brother Eli grew up in a small town with a loving family. Ryan grew up in the same small town. But his childhood was not ideal. As a result, he spent a ton of time at Eli and Merit's. They were all close like siblings. Until one day, Merit and Ryan became closer. And one day, Ryan broke Merit's heart.

Instead of communicating, she moved to California for college and tried to leave Ryan behind. And instead of communicating, she just avoided him and the conversations they needed to h
Carolyn's
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks NetGalley!

CAUTION: Violet Ugly leads to ugly crying! I felt like my heart was sitting outside my body, on top of my chest the entire read. The heartbreaking history between Merit and Ryan is one you feel in the bottom of your soul.

Red Peony gives a glimpse into the turmoil brewing between Merit and Ryan. For some unknown reason, Merit takes off at 18 for college and never comes back unless extremely necessary. Her once bestest friend, Ryan, she keeps at arm's length and no one knows why.
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-arc-reads
This book is a second chance romance between childhood friends, Merit & Ryan. I was first introduced to these two in Peony Red, however, you do not need to read that book before Violet Ugly.

There is so much history between Merit & Ryan...Ryan is Merit's younger brother's best friend, and the three of them grew up close together in tough times. While Merit lost her mother at a young age, Ryan suffered abuse from his father and together they formed a bond that was unbreakable...until it d
Debbie
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Give me a minute because I am still catching my breathe. This read have me all the feels from page one. I just finished it and I miss Ryan and Violet already. The characters grabbed my heart real quick and I'm finding it extremely hard to let them go.

Silence can be loud. It can crawl into the dark corners of a lit room and worsen, sitting where quiet secrets fester, spreading like weeds across issues in our own heads.
Nearly 20 years ago, Merit left her home town that she adored to run as far awa
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
I've had trouble writing this review, because I can't think of words to do this book justice. Merit Young is a woman who had her heart broken by her high school crush right before leaving for college. 16 years later, with as minimal contact as possible, she finds herself at home facing her past. Ryan Taylor has lived his life just trying to get from one day to the next, but Merit is the only woman from his past that he can't shake. When life circumstances put these back together, they are forced ...more
Siddhi Nigam
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*ARC provided by NetGalley

I loooooovvvvvveeee this book!
After reading Peony Red, I was really looking forward to this book and it did not disappoint!

The story of Merit and Ryan is so heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. I cried so much while reading this book and I love it when books can make me cry.
This is a book with excellent writing with strong character development and a tight story line.
We get to know the characters by reading about their early years. And then get to live their he
Kay
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How do you write a review when your heart is still broken? That's how I feel about this book.

I will forever love heartbreaking romances. Mostly because it's the interaction of the two characters that always intrigues me about a book, no matter the genre. Seeing two characters come together, fall apart and deal with life at the same time fascinates me. It's such a human thing.

That is especially the case with Violet Ugly. Without giving away two many spoilers this book is a deep dive into loss.
Catty Jane
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
*** ARC Received for Honest Review ***
4 stars

In one word... heartbreaking. This book had me doing an ugly cry. There were so many moments when I almost broke down and started to cry, then J. Lynn Bailey finally broke me with all of the intense heartbreaking moments and had me sobbing. I cried for Merit, I cried for Ryan, for Destiny and for Merit's mom.

This is unrequited love, love that stands the test of time, love from afar, and second chance romance all wrapped in an emotional, ugly cry, HEA
Sarah Larsen
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author for providing me with an advance copy of this book in return for an honest review!!
I love that this novel takes us into the back story of Merit and Ryan. It will give you ALL THE FEELS. I can’t wait for the next one!!!
Sandra Macias
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cried while reading the book and now I’m crying because I finished the book. Amazing, just amazing.
Avidez Literaria
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Once, there was a boy I made love to, a caged boy who thought himself damaged. Once, there was a man I made love to, and I left my heart at his feet as I walked away.”

A very young girl who was forced to grow up, to be responsible for a home and for the others, while retaining all the pain she felt within herself to continue living. Even though she was a child, she knew that what was happening at her friend's house was not normal, but she remained silent for fear. A little adult who went on to s
Shirley Cuypers
This book was provided by the author through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you J. Lynn Bailey and Netgalley!

Violet Ugly
is the second book in the Granite Harbor series but can be read as a standalone. I haven’t read the first book, Peony Red, yet and I easily fell in love with the second book in the series. The story is about Merit and Ryan who were in love with each other when they were teenagers but then all of a sudden broke up and left each other.

Violet Ugly has a double
Misty
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't even really know where to start with this one. I can say that I couldn't and didn't want to put it down once I started. I am fully invested in all these characters from Granite Harbor and I'm so glad we got Merit and Ryan's story after reading Peony Red. I will always always be up for a good second chance romance and J. Lynn hit the mark with this one.

"I don't feel like I'll be okay. I feel as though my skin has been turned inside out."

I think one of the best parts of this book was th
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sixteen years ago, Merit Young walked away from everything she knew, for a place where she could make a new life, free from all the bad memories that home carried. In that time she has made her way through college, created a life for herself, and found a job she enjoys doing. But when her brother calls, and asks for her to return home to care for the man who broke her heart, and sent her running, she is a little hesitant to make the trip. Because going home means facing her past, and finding the ...more
Sandra
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
What another great and emotional read by J. Lynn Bailey!! I knew going in that this one was going to be gut wrenching. To be completely honest it took me about 3 days after release to finally start this book. I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able handle all of the emotions that I would be experiencing, but it was all worth it!

The story of Merit and Ryan was packed full of emotions. As children the bond between Merit, Ryan and Merit’s brother Eli was unbreakable. Merit’s family became a safe h
Andrea Thompson
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-romance, arc
I was lucky enough to get an advance copy of this one to read, and oh man. It was beautiful and painful and tough on the emotions! It was not what I had expected from reading the preview and blurb (I'm realizing that this is a common theme with me) but I'm so happy to have gotten the chance to dive into this world.

Merit carries around some incredibly heavy baggage, but she's ridiculously likeable and real so you just want to help her carry it, though sometimes you want to shake her as well. Ryan
Marika
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story broke my heart in tiny little pieces then put it back together. I was an emotional mess and I was so invested in the characters and the story.
Merit left her old town behind just like her family, all to escape Ryan and his memories..good or bad, it doesn't matter..she just left and never looked back until she had to return to take care of Ryan.
Merit is such a great person, she rakes care of everyone without even realising that she didn't take care of herself. Her life might not have be
Konny
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Violet Ugly by J Lynn Bailey is book two in a series, a standalone. The previous book, Peony Read, is one of my favorite reads this year and I had high expectations for Violet Ugly.
In Peony Red I already got a look at Ryan and Merit's story. She left Granite Harbour 16 years ago, broken and abandoned after a bad breakup with Ryan.
Ryan Taylor was her first in many things. She was his anchor and saviour. Together with her brother Eli they grew up.
Ryan is a game warden, but lives in survival made o
Brianna at Renee Entress's Blog
4 Stars!

What a way to pop my book cherry with J. Lynn Bailey.... a book that promises to tear you apart before slowly and beautifully piecing you back together. Violet Ugly is the second book in the Granite Harbor series and I can absolutely guarantee it's a romance that'll mark you deep and have you thinking long after the pages have quit turning.

Sixteens years. She walked away sixteen years ago. That's how long it's been since she's been back...until one phone call from her brother. Everything
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews
Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of NetGalley

I started this book not knowing it was part two in a series and nor did it affect me that I didn't read the first book Peony Red. However, after reading this one I wouldn't mind catching up with the back story on Alex and Eli.

I liked the premise of this story and I'm always a fan of second chance love stories.

During the prologue it starts as the main characters are children and the thoughts were quite deep for kids that age which made it a bit
Alana Pucci
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was blessed with an advanced reader copy of this latest book in the Granite Harbor Series trilogy. I COULD NOT put it down! Merit and Ryan‘s story captured me from page 1. I felt like I was living their love story with them in the present day and in their memories. There are so many beautiful moments throughout this story. I was brought to tears multiple times, once in the middle of a Starbucks, and laughed out loud with my new friends, Merit and Abbey. **Spoiler Alert, my heart swelled and th ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Incrusted: Hiding The Demon Within (Warepire Reverse Harem Romance, #1)
  • Social Misfits
  • Blinding Night (Blinding Night #1)
  • Sisters' Entrance
  • June Kisses (Wilder Irish, #6)
  • Miss Demeanor
  • The Underlighters
  • Breaking Up Is Hard To Do... But You Could've Done Better
  • Animal
  • The Long Road Home
  • Seeking Sanctuary (Shelter Me #1)
  • Love Beyond Opposites (Grad Night #3)
  • Supernatural Slayer (Supernatural Slayer #1)
J. Lynn is a bestselling author, mother, and wife. When she isn't running between soccer practices, working on another school fundraiser, or chasing a new puppy, you can probably find her holed up in her writing room feverishly working on her next novel.

Granite Harbor (4 books)