Start by marking “An Adult Evening of Shel Silverstein” as Want to Read:
An Adult Evening of Shel Silverstein

An Adult Evening of Shel Silverstein

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Book annotation not available for this title.
Published March 1st 2003 by Dramatist's Play Service (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about An Adult Evening of Shel Silverstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Adult Evening of Shel Silverstein

Hannah Eiseman-Renyard
A Forgotten Classic

I am forever grateful to my university's drama society for putting on An Adult Evening of Shel Silverstein, and opening my eyes to the wonder of Uncle Shelby's adult stuff.

Quick word of warning: this is a lot closer to Freakin' at the Freakers' Ball than The Giving Tree.

It's a series of dramatic shorts, each one riffing around two or three characters interacting in a dark, twisted, well observed, and often hilarious situation. Yes, it's a script, and I don't normally read s
Eric_W
Aug 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I defer to Hannah's excellent review at http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/.... Give her a vote.

I very rarely read plays or scripts but Hannah's recommendation (and Silverstein's reputation for quirkiness) was enough for me to order a copy. It's a delight. As Hannah notes, it's a little uneven, hence 4 rather than 5 stars. I would love to see a production of this.
L
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Funny short stories! A very wicked and dark sense of humor comes across here. Also, it's a great insight into another side of Shel Silvestein since I've only ever known him through children's poetry and stories. I'm now tempted to read up more on his life and personality.
daniel smith
May 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Would love to put on a couple of these plays inside of an improv show. Perhaps the dead pony one, as well as the talking dog.
Kathy
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Silverstein's play on words is as wonderful as ever. Despite the shortness of each play, there are twists and turns aplenty!
Noelle
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I never laughed and giggled quite so hard.
Mariah
Apr 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Much like Shel’s Shorts I cannot get over the crude and crass nature of Silverstein’s adult works. I don’t find them amusing and I will not be reading anymore of the adult works.
Lisa
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
It's weird, and I'm not sure I like it. But it's also rare, and it's now part of my Silverstein collection.
Rebecca
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Take an absurd situation, add tension and anger, plot twists and turns leading the reader by the seat of their pants and then resolve it how you like. The concept runs the show. The tangible realities that make up the story are off color, lewd, from the dark side. One story has only the words meat and potatoes and is a four act play in which a woman is assaulted, murders her attacker, is judged in court, and electrocuted. The meaning is in the gestures of the actors (written in parentheses) rath ...more
Holden
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays
I know I don't normally review things, but I just felt this one deserved a disclaimer. Yes, I gave it two stars, but parts of it were certainly worth five stars. It's a collection of short plays, some of them hilarious, but some of them weird and needlessly crude. I would suggest "One Tennis Shoe", "The Best Daddy", "Wash and Dry", and "Blind Willie and the Talking Dog". Any of the others can be, or really should be, skipped. "Bus Stop" in particular is just awful, and unfortunetly, the bad in t ...more
Nina
Sep 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
I'm not quite sure what I was expecting...Shel Silverstein stuff was always my favorite when I was a kid. I guess I didn't expect these plays to be quite so...adult. I mean, this REALLY is not for kids. Not that that's a bad thing.

The Evening consists of a bunch of short sketches. Dirty, silly, funny. Could be quite hysterical if staged, I'm sure, but not entirely my cup of tea.
Micah
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a series of short skits for a theater production. All are entertaining and mature in content...as far as maturity goes with Shel Silverstein.
Bo
Mar 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thegood
Funny, but very adult.
Elelta
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
An actual LOL read. His story telling is clever deceiving and incredibly fun.
Jonathan
Jun 01, 2016
Phoebe
Sep 28, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • My Dog Does My Homework!
  • Middletown (TCG Edition)
  • Speech and Debate
  • Danny and the Deep Blue Sea: An Apache Dance
  • A Boy Named Shel: The Life and Times of Shel Silverstein
  • Posh
  • The Motherfucker With the Hat
  • Christopher, Durang: 27 Short Plays v. 1: Vol 1 (Contemporary Playwrights)
  • Duck Hunter Shoots Angel - Acting Edition
  • Almost, Maine
  • Rhinoceros and Other Plays
Shel Silverstein was the author-artist of many beloved books of prose and poetry. He was a cartoonist, playwright, poet, performer, recording artist, and Grammy-winning, Oscar-nominated songwriter.
More about Shel Silverstein