Start by marking “Charlie the Caterpillar” as Want to Read:
Charlie the Caterpillar

Charlie the Caterpillar

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
As Charlie the Caterpillar meets one group of animals after another playing together and having fun, he asks if he can join in. But each time he's told not welcome -- because he's ugly. As winter approaches, Charlie spins himself a cocoon. When spring arrives, the cocoon opens and out comes Charlie -- now a beautiful butterfly. Everyone wants him to be part of their group. ...more
Published April 1st 1993 by Aladdin (first published August 7th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie the Caterpillar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie the Caterpillar

Becky B
Charlie the caterpillar is walking along and sees three groups he'd like to play with, but each one tells him he is too ugly. Of course after Charlie turns into a beautiful butterfly each group begs him to join their games, but Charlie doesn't want to play with critters who are so shallow. He'd rather play with Katie, another ugly caterpillar.

While the message to not hang out with people who only like those who are "beautiful" is good, the way Charlie handles it later is borderline vindictive an
Alyssa Sherry
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Charlie the Caterpillar was one of my favorites when I was young. Reading it again now as an adult, I love it just as much. Charlie is a cute little caterpillar that is very sweet and kind and just wants to find some friends. As he crawls around and tries to find friends, he runs into some rabbits, mice, and monkeys, all of which will not let him play because they say that he is ugly. Poor Charlie then finds himself so sad that he curls up in a cacoon. When he awakens he bypasses the people tha ...more
Brenda
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Charlie the Caterpillar goes out meeting many other animals playing cards or tennis and asks to join in. Each time he is snubbed and told that he is ugly. Charlie spins himself a cocoon as winter approaches. When spring arrives, Charlie now has two beautiful butterfly wings. As Charlie flies around he sees the same animals that he had approached before but this time they ask him to join their games telling him how beautiful he is. Charlie instead snubs them. Charlie then hears crying and upon in ...more
momma.hailey
Jun 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book pretty much sums up the type of lessons I don't want my children to learn. With the exception of the butterfly befriending the caterpillar in the end, the book taught that you should get even with others "serves them right". I feel like that, coupled with the poor choice of slang words made for an awful children's book. No thanks.
Katherine
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Charlie the Caterpillar" is a great story to read-aloud to children. You could use this story to show students that being a true friend means that you care about your friend no matter what they look like, or what they have. This would also be a great book to read-aloud when studying the stages of a caterpillar/butterfly.
Joyce Himmel
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Looks are not everything!
Erin Dianis
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The story is about a caterpillar, Charlie, who has just recently been born. He begins to explore and comes across different animals—monkeys, rabbits, and mice. Each time he comes across the animals playing games he asks if he can play with them, and each time they tell Charlie that he can’t play with them because he is an ugly caterpillar. They make it known to Charlie that they don’t play with ugly caterpillars. After every rejection, Charlie gets sadder and begins to believe the mean things th ...more
Garrett
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charlie the Caterpillar is an interesting take on the traditional Ugly Duckling tale. Charlie is a caterpillar who is born in the beginning of the book. We see him in his innocence as he grows, eats, and sets off with a desire to "see the world". In this moment he is "glad to be alive", but his spirits are quickly crushed as his repeated attempts to make friends with other animals are foiled on the grounds that he is an "ugly caterpillar". Thus, Charlie retreats into his coccoon and, after a win ...more
Xyra
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's never a bad idea to take a break from the heavy stuff and just enjoy a good picture book. I love caterpillars so when I saw this at a yard sale I snapped it up. Later I realized it was written by one of my favorite comedians, Dom De Luise. [For the younger set, Dom is the father of the actor who plays Mr. Russo on The Wizards of Waverly Place.] I could hear his voice while reading some of it.

The illustrations are great. Charlie is such a cute caterpillar. Looks like a wooly bear to me.

The
Phyleesha Daigle
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Charlie the Caterpillar is a great example of high quality children's literature. Starting with the storyline, Charlie is a young lonely caterpillar that is looking for some friends to play with, but each potential set of friends he comes across say he's too ugly to be their friend and "giddadda here!" It then goes on to the life cycle of the caterpillars and the illustrations show Charlie wrapping himself in a cocoon, hibernating (napping) in the tree, and later becoming a beautiful butterfly. ...more
Megan Cureton
Charlie the Caterpillar is an awesome book that describes the life and story of a lonely caterpillar that no one wants to play with. Some of the pages consist of the caterpillar asking some animals to play tennis, playing cards, and other activities and every time the animals come back and say no, you're ugly. This makes Charlie sad, so sad that he wraps himself in a cocoon and comes out a beautiful butterfly in the spring. Now that he is beautiful, all the animals that were once calling him ugl ...more
Carla Peele
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was basically a different angle on "The Ugly Duckling"--- only he was a caterpillar. And, you could practically HEAR Dom Deluise reading it to you, even as you read it aloud to your children, from the way it's written. It's cute, hilarious, touching all at once, and an even better moral than the original.

Charlie realizes that if the ones who originally spurned him only wanted him now because he was beautiful, then they were not "real" friends. Real friends want you for what is inside, and t
Nicole
May 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that symbolizes growth and transformation. Kids love to hear this book over and over again--and I can say that it was one of my own favorites when I was a child. Charlie is the "ugly caterpillar" that nobody wants to play with. So when he turns into a beautiful butterfly, everybody wants to play with him, but he doesn't give them that satisfaction. It is a lovely story with lots of cool color pictures that children and adults alike will love time and time again
EDUC535
May 24, 2016 added it
Shelves: fiction
Erin Neuman - Review

Charlie the caterpillar wants to play with the different animals that he encounters, but no one wants to play with him because he is very ugly. After many attempts to play with friends, he finally spins himself into a cocoon for the winter. When he wakes up he meets a new caterpillar and discovers the true meaning of friendship. Kids will enjoy this heartwarming story about being a true friend and will have fun repeating the line "now gidddada here" throughout the story.
Chloe Jackson
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-acceptance
Charlie the Caterpillar is another book that I enjoy reading.The story talks about a caterpillar who is considered "ugly" and no one wants to play with him but when he turns into a beautiful butterfly everyone wants to play with him. I think that this book teaches children a good lesson on accepting people for who they are and to not judge people based on how they look. This book would be great to read especially at the beginning of the year.
Christina Davis
A 7 year old read this to me. It was the perfect length and had colorful illustrations. The moral of the story is to not judge others for their outer appearances, and those that do aren't worth being friends with.

Charlie is seen as an "ugly" caterpillar who no one wants to be friends with until he goes through metamorphosis into a butterfly with pretty wings. At the end of the book, he comes across another "ugly" caterpillar who he befriends when no one else will.
Alison
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Deluise brings to light how hard making friends can be and how appearances are not the only characteristics to judge a person. In my opinion one should not judge anyone or anything. I love this book with a passion ever since my mother read it to me. I would use this book to teach my students how a caterpillar becomes a butterfly.
Katie Nanney
I liked the story. It teaches children how much bullying hurts and that you shouldn't judge a person based on how he or she looks. I also liked that there was a caterpillar named Katie who was being bullied. I related to her so much. This book would be a good read-aloud for any grade on the topic of bullying.
Brent Rogers
Jan 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids, read-aloud, school
Charlie is a caterpillar who struggled to fit in. He always asked to join a group and everyone declined being his friend. Charlie eventually turned into a beautiful butterfly and everybody wanted to be his friend. Now, it was his turn to pass on them. This is a good book for children who have trouble accepting people for they truly are. A strong, powerful lesson can be learned from this book.
Katt
Oct 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who likes Dom De Luise
Shelves: j-s-favorites
I think the pictures are precious!! What a cute story.
I love that it's about the value of real friends and making kids aware that if someone likes you just because of how you look or because of the things you have that they are not really good friends. I think that our culture is to wraped up looking perfect or having all the IT items.
Frankie Marchi
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Charlie the Caterpillar is a classic ugly duckling story. It displays how everyone has a place where they fit in they just have to find it. Children need to know that they also have a place they fit in and Charlie teaches us all just that. The language in this picture book is perfect for beginning readers. The vocabulary is not too hard and the pictures are also quite attractive.
Feb 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Charlie wants a friend, but no one wants to play with him because he's an ugly caterpillar. Of course, the inevitable happens- and Charlie stays true to himself. It is a good discussion-starter book for young children, and remains one of my kids' favorites.
Megan
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-310
I've always loved this book and it is still one of my favorites. The characters are great and the story line is marvelous. Definitely one to purchase for the future. I would recommend this for children in grade levels 2-3.
Alison Durbin
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this book should be a must have for all children. "Charlie the Caterpillar" is a great book that teaches children about friendship and acceptance with the help of colorful illustrations. I can see myself using this for a read aloud in my future classroom for various age ranges.
Lisa
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and children
This may be a children's book, but I find myself reading oftern too. Dom Deluise is a great author, and the illustrations are beautiful done. This is a wonderful story to read when feeling difference about yourself and the importance of friendship.
Alycia Boyce
This book is about a caterpillar who people are mean to, but once he turns into a butterfly others want to be his friend. Good to teach children how important it is to befriend someone bexause of who they are, not what they look like.
Rachel
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A caterpillar who is shunned by other animals for being "ugly" comes back as a beautiful butterfly. A great story of friendship, valuing inner beauty, and acceptance.
Shyna
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book for children. Charlie is the cutest caterpillar ever!
Carole
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-books-read
An unhappy caterpillar with no one who wants to be his friend finds friendship eventually.
Manali
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
very cutie catie..
  • Moon Rope/Un lazo a la luna
  • I Wish I Were a Butterfly
  • Things That Are Most in the World
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • Just My Friend and Me (Little Critter)
  • The Tale of the Mandarin Ducks
  • Me, Frida
  • How Do Dinosaurs Play with Their Friends?
  • Bear in a Square
  • The Bumpy Little Pumpkin
  • I Like Me!
  • Princess Baby, Night-Night
  • Penguin Pete
  • I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem
  • What Moms Can't Do
  • Deep in the Swamp
  • How To Catch A Heffalump (Disney's Pooh)
  • Popcorn