Start by marking “50 Shades of the USA: One Woman's 11,000 Mile Cycling Adventure Through Every State of America” as Want to Read:

Disillusioned with corporate London life and with no previous experience as a long-distance cyclist, Anna decides to clamber atop a beautiful pink bicycle (named Boudica) and set out on an 11,000-mile journey on her own, through each and every state of the USA.

Dodging floods, blizzards and electrical storms, she pedals side by side with mustangs of the Wild West, through t
Published September 17th 2018 by Rocket 88 Consulting Ltd (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about 50 Shades of the USA, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Shades of the USA

Start your review of 50 Shades of the USA: One Woman's 11,000 Mile Cycling Adventure Through Every State of America
Steve D
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bike-books
A question struck me as I started to write this review: do I lead with the rating or the disclaimer? The answer was easy. Wow! What a book! Solid 5 stars. I’d give it 6 if I could. OK, now the disclaimer: I’m an avid cyclist and I’m also kind of obsessive about reading cycling adventure books. That said, this book is so well written, with a message that would appeal to anyone with even the slightest bit of wanderlust in their heart (isn’t that all of us?) that I can unequivocally recommend it to ...more
Cathy Douglas
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anna is one of those undislikeable people. If you've got a problem with her, sorry, you're the one with the problem. Her positive attitude is positively scary sometimes.

Anna is a British twenty-something who had an epiphany one day over a marketing spreadsheet, and decided to ditch her office job and bicycle through the USA, hitting each one of the fifty states. Now I like bikes, and I like my dear old country, but this adventure sounds like a whole lot of not-fun to me. And indeed she ran into
Kristi
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just wow! I had a feeling I would like this book, but I didn't think I would LOVE it and LOVE it I did. I just starting following her and she posted something on Instagram about getting an autographed copy of the book. So, I bought one and Pants of Perspective for my friend for Christmas. Needless to say, the books never made it, but she and her assistant worked me as quickly as possibly to send me a new set. It was really awesome of her and I loved her note.

But back to the book. I loved h
Jolene Elison
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every year I read several sports adventure books like the famous one, "Wild". I suppose I wish I had the dedication and grit of people who are able to achieve great things. This one about traveling on a bike through all 50 states was fun and easy reading. I highly recommend it. Other sports adventure books I have loved are:
4 Mums in Boat,
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
john a allison
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars for 50 states

This book has been on my radar for some time. As an armchair adventurer, these are the books that get you thru until it's your turn. I dearly loved this book, mostly because of her sense of humor,but also for her energy. Do yourself a favor and take this one for a spin.
Aleisha Keating
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An easy and enjoyable read, 50 Shades of the USA is packed with humorous anecdotes and thought provoking reflections. I recommend this un-put-downable book not only for the adventurous at heart, but especially for those who want to be inspired to take a fresh approach to life or reach seemingly insurmountable goals.

50 Shades of the USA is an honest and compelling read, flooded with vivid impressions of the land and urban scapes that Anna rides through: from the endless Wyoming sky with clouds "
Nancy Crowley
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud adventure book

I’ve read several cycling stories looking for inspiration to take an adventure on two-wheels. 50 Shades of the USA is my favorite so far. Anna has a wonderful sense of humor that she shares throughout her 50 state journey. Her perseverance and fun-loving personality along with Anna’s gifted writing style combined to make this one of the most entertaining books of this genre I’ve ever read. I look forward to reading more adventures from Anna and creating a few of my o
Carol Rode
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read

I truly enjoyed this book. I can't believe she went on her own, well not in the beginning but still any place is dangerous and to go alone, well you sure need a lot of good nerves. She never mention meeting up with any untrustworthy people, she was very lucky. And to go thru some of theses states during winter, wow. She has no fear. This would be a dream trip for anyone who has the nerve and she did. I would never be able to do this alone. This took a lot of guts. Good for you Anna, way
Mandy McKernan
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Power of the human spirit.

Very well told story of personal triumph and the power of the human spirit. The insights around the friendliness of all the hosts across the USA resonated with my own visits to the USA and how passionate the Americans are about their country and how easy they are to get on with.
Sarah Marie
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Smart, funny and thrilling. Very much enjoyed this read and love the inspirational tales of Anna McNuff. She tells it just as it is. From the bad times to the amazing, everyone in detail and with a light heart. Looking forward to her book on her South American adventure! Come on Anna get writing! Your fans await.
Fiona Wark
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Marty Nicholas
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
McNuff's accomplishment...nearly 12,000 miles ridden through all 50 states (in 6 months) is astounding! Her positive attitude is even more astounding! If you're looking for a book filled with anguish and despair and inner demons, this isn't it. If you're looking for a book that is filled with the joy of touring and the goodness of people, mostly strangers, this is it.
Zsófia
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the way Anna writes about her adventures. Her style is super fun but also natural, and she beautifully describes the details. I enjoyed her account of her run in New Zealand a bit more than this book. Maybe it's due to the freshness of that experience, while this was written much later. Still, I do recommend this.
Joyce E Dietz
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One Great Read

I found this book to be thoroughly interesting to follow her adventures through each state in the USA. Nothing here not to enjoy, as it was written with enough candor and wit to keep me turning pages to see what was coming next in her adventures. Well done, Anna McNuff!
Jeffrey B Frey
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good write about a good journey

As a cycle tourist myself I know the good story is not about the ride but about the journey. It is a tale that cannot fully be understood until you make the journey yourself. However, Anna does an excellent job of drawing you into the forecourt of an excellent experience. To know the rest of the story you will have to take you're own ride.
Terri Noftsger
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading about Anna’s adventure cycling through the 50 states. She is right, the USA is a very varied country...in geography and lifestyle. But at the heart are the people. I’m glad she experienced that at the heart of things, American’s do care for others. I hope she gets to visit the USA again to visit more of this great place.
Mr N Dalby
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish I could meet her. An inspiration

A fabulous journey that would make an epic film. Anna oozes everything of how a person should be. The task was awesome in its scope, awesome in its telling and awesome in its doing. Fortunately I read it a little quicker than I should have and wished I had followed the route on a map and googled the places!
Miss R J Glithero
Inspiring!

Makes me want to up sticks and go adventuring! Or at least get out on my bike more 😊. I really enjoyed her other book (The pants of perspective) and this definitely did not disappoint.
Nancy Chambers
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable upbeat adventure book

Anna shared her journey cycling across the 50 states of the US. It is an awesome feat on its own. I really enjoyed the humour and descriptions that she has in the book it really took you there with her at times.
Mark E Baublet
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
50 shades of fun

This was a thoughtful read about a fun journey. Not a lot of details on logistics which was fine. But an interesting look inside the author as she discovered herself and the USA
Kelleygirl501
I had to laugh when I read the Author Note that said "you must be feeling rather tired now." That was my exact sentiment every night after reading. Now, after a week of being immersed in Anna's 6-month challenge I can finally get some sleep!
MR A J POWELL
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational account of a (nearly) solo cycle ride through all of the 50 US States. Vivid descriptions, highs and lows, people and places of all descriptions, a must read.
Wayne Hild
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Motivating

Well written. Flows nicely & very helpful in getting people out adventuring. Anna's descriptions are vivid and always made me smile.
Myra L Rice
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
11,000 miles around the USA

I am so glad that the author enjoyed her bicycle tour around my country! She has been to many places that I have not been! Well written account!
Bruce Philip
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best in the genre of cycling tour memoirs

I could not put it down, forgoing other readings to finish this adventure. Informative. Fun. Inspired and inspiring. Don't miss.
Jessica Manning
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable read!!

I love a good travel book and Ms. McNuff did a great job of bringing the reader along for the adventure.
Kelly Knight
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading about Anna’s adventure has been really inspirational and it’s a good reminder to go out there, live life and also be kind to others. I will definitely be reading Pants of Perspective next.
Anna
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly inspiring and funny!

Such a fantastic book! Never a dull moment and always witty! It has inspired me to do some long distance adventures of my own.
Kelly
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story of Anna McNuff's cycle through 50 states of the USA. I find these kinds of books inspiring but not in an 'I want to go and do that now' way, more that someone can do something so out of the ordinary for them and not only succeed in the challenge they have set themselves but find utter joy in doing so.

Anna's descriptions of the people she meets on her journey are wonderful and will help you regain some of your faith in mankind. She also doesn't seem to understand what

• Into the Sunrise: Cycling the World, Part Two: Sydney to Mori
  • Adventureman - Anyone Can Be a Superhero
  • No Wrong Turns: Cycling the World, Part One: Paris to Sydney
  • America by Bicycle: One Woman's Solo, Coast-to-Coast Adventure
  • Don't Come Back: a travel adventure of bad-tempered baboons, black magic, and breakups.
  • Through Sand & Snow: a man, a bicycle, and a 43,000-mile journey to adulthood via the ends of the Earth
  • Just a Little Run Around the World: 5 Years, 3 Packs of Wolves and 53 Pairs of Shoes
  • Thunder  Sunshine
  • Moods Of Future Joys
  • No Place Like Home, Thank God: A 22,000 Mile Bicycle Ride Around Europe
  • Over The Hill And Around The World: A Baby Boomer's Ride To The End Of The Earth
  • Old Lady on the Trail: Triple Crown at 76
  • High and Low: How I Hiked Away From Depression Across Scotland (Outdoor Adventure Book 6)
  • Two Old Fools Down Under
  • Escape from the Ordinary
  • How Not to Get Married: Confessions of a Wedding Photographer
  • Don't Need The Whole Dog!
  • The Only Way Is West: A Once In a Lifetime, 500 Mile Adventure Walking Spain's Camino de Santiago

News & Interviews