Start by marking “How to Be on the Moon” as Want to Read:
How to Be on the Moon

How to Be on the Moon

In the follow-up to How to Find Gold, best friends Anna and Crocodile are going on another intrepid adventure -- this time, to the moon.

It's almost impossible to get to the moon. It's out in space, which is dark and empty, and it's very far away. If Anna and Crocodile are going to make it to the moon, they'll need some special skills, like being able to do math and having
Published June 4th 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Be on the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be on the Moon

Start your review of How to Be on the Moon
J.L. Slipak
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

This book is about imagination and being creative, having dreams and exploring them. The paragraphs are longer and words a bit harder. The use of dialogue is added. Topic material is more advanced, so this picture book would be for older children or those readers in this category who are more advanced.

I'm just not a fan of the illustrations. Although they are bright and the MC is cute, they're just not entertaining enough for me.
Eve Costarelli
This book is about the possibility of the impossible and just opens up the door to “you can do anything you put your mind to. Be informed, be prepared and take a risk!” I love how it stresses the importance of math, being patient, being prepared and using tons of imagination to make your dreams come true. It is a wonderful, creative STEAM book to just open a young child's mind to possibility. Everyone's a winner in this book-which is great, as attaining your dreams are not a competition but a jo ...more
Margie
It was still there, white against a blue sky, early on Sunday morning. It didn't reappear again until seconds after midnight today. It's received more attention than usual as people everywhere are commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 first moon landing on July 20, 1969.

Wherever you are on Earth, looking at the moon fifty years later, it's still hard to comprehend traveling 238,900 miles through space to complete the journey there and repeat that distance to return home. If you hap
Linda
This Saturday is the day! It's the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. There have been many books published recently about the events before and surrounding this journey. This is a fun book that talks about a moon visit in more imaginative ways. Anna, a little girl, with great enthusiasm, and her crocodile friend, with helpful and supportive ideas, are ready for their day. The girl says "Let's go to the moon!" and the crocodile responds "It will be almost impossible" while giving the re ...more
Meredith
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Anna and Crocodile go to the moon.

Anna is imaginative, and Crocodile is practical. Together they are able to accomplish the almost impossible. Anna wants to go to the moon. According to Crocodile, in order to travel to the moon one must 1) know math, 2) be patient, and 3) have sandwiches. While Crocodile makes the sandwiches, Anna builds the rocket, and then off they go. They explore the moon and return home to planet Earth.

The illustrations are a lovely blend of pencil, crayon, and watercolor.
Mikeal Sutton
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
A very cute story about a girl and her crocodile friend going on a trip to the moon. The beautiful illustrations help describe a friendship through imaginative interactions. The fictitious story is aimed at friendships and imagination through gravity and being on the moon. This could be read in a whole class setting or as an individual reader.

I chose this book to show students the importance of friendships. This story can be a great tool for literacy and fluency instruction. The teacher could us
Emily Bruns
A girl and her alligator friend learn the importance of patience while flying to the moon. The text is entirely dialogue between the girl and alligator, and the pictures greatly enhance their preparation and journey to the moon. This book is cute and fosters imagination and creativity.

This is not particularly useful in a learning concepts context, but it could be used to practice reading in the primary grades. It could also be used in the intermediate grades to examine how dialogue is constructe
Sandy
A charming story about a girl named Anna and her friend Crocodile who work together to go to the moon. Curiously, there was a lot of text in this that I would consider it an early reader but it presents as a picture book. If anyone were to use this for storytime or one-on-one reading with a child, it would have to be for older preschoolers, maybe 4 or 5...and hopefully it'll be with kids who have a good attention span, lol. I didn't realize HOW TO BE ON THE MOON was a follow up to HOW TO FIND GO ...more
Amy
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anna and Crocodile (from How to Find Gold) want to go to the moon. Luckily, Anna can count backwards and crocodile is patient AND remembers to pack sandwiches while Anna builds a patchwork rocket. Their trip to the moon is lovely but coming back home is even lovelier. This ode to imaginative play features bright watercolors that pop against monotone night skies and the moon, easily drawing the readers attention to the action of the story. Highly Recommended for purchase.
Cara Byrne
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the premise of this book and the sweet illustrations, but it was not the most engaging or read-aloud friendly book. My Kindergartener loved looking at the pictures, but wanted to create her own story instead of listening to the provided dialogue.
Aeicha
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How To Be On The Moon is an amusing, quirky tale about one adventurous little girl, her crocodile pal, and their unforgettable journey to the moon. Sweetly silly text and pops of texture and color collide together in one exciting tale.
Liz Todd
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Keys to doing something impossible:
Patience
Math skills
Snacks
A solid Plan B
A good friend
...and a little imagination.
Joan Marie
A fun make-believe trip to the moon with Anna and her best friend Crocodile.
Miss Sarah
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A dragon and a little girl build a rcoket to go to the moon. Elementary and up
Beth
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the illustrations of the little girl, Anna. And crocodiles are a favorite of mine. And I enjoyed the matter of fact use of imagination and emotions on the journey.
Kelly
Just a fun little fantasy story of a girl and her talking crocodile going to the moon.
Emily
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Just a little too old for Ginny to really enjoy. Characters and story were good but not great.
Austin
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is an absurdity and wit to this that reminds a parent/orator of Winnie-the-Pooh or of Lemony Snicket. I enjoyed it very much.
PWRL
Nov 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-new
O
June
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Imagination and moon requests
Recommended to June by: capitolchoices.org
A young girl wants to go to the moon. Her crocodile playmate says it will take various skills.

(someone said it was negotiation in imaginative play)
Wendy
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations and a cute story about having a good imagination...and sandwiches. Don't forget the sandwiches.
Edward Sullivan
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Anna and Crocodile aim for the moon in this follow-up to How to Find Gold.
kim
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
eh, odd
Sally
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it

I read this book at the Queen Anne Branch of Seattle Public Library.
Earl
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice follow up to How to Find Gold. The two friends go off on another one of their imaginative adventures- this time to the moon with plenty of sandwiches.
Mary Judy
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This warm, clever and creative picture book is filled with adventure and excitement. Anna is vivacious and confident. While Crocodile tries be be the voice of reason, explaining why things aren't as easy as she would think, he's soon swept away with enthusiasm and delight. Accenting the bonds of friendship and cooperation, the two make an unstoppable team. The story is simply wonderful, filled with witty dialogue and encouraging the use of imaginative play and embracing a sense of freedom and jo ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this dialogue-heavy story of a little girl and her crocodile imagining their way to the moon and back. It made a great story time read-aloud and my 3-year-old and 5-year-old daughters frequently choose to look at it independently as well.

Read at a moon-themed family story time at my house on 7/19/19: https://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com...
Christina Dendy
Sep 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Firefly Home
  • Get Out of My Bath!
  • Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!
  • A Day So Gray
  • What Kind of Car Does a T. Rex Drive?
  • Max Attacks
  • From 1 to 10
  • Unicorn Day
  • What Does an Anteater Eat?
  • Looking for Yesterday
  • The Girl Who Named Pluto: The Story of Venetia Burney
  • The Boy Who Invented the Popsicle: The Cool Science Behind Frank Epperson's Famous Frozen Treat
  • Just Because
  • My City
  • All Right Already!: A Snowy Story
  • Happy Hair
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
Viviane Schwarz is the author-illustrator of THERE ARE CATS IN THIS BOOK as well as SHARK AND LOBSTER'S UNDERSEA ADVENTURE. She grew up in Germany and now lives in London.

News & Interviews