Start by marking “Mistress Mage (The Mage-Born Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
Mistress Mage (The Mage-Born Chronicles #2)

Mistress Mage

(The Mage-Born Chronicles #2)

In the peace following the Great Mage Hunt, the kings long-time mistress is revealed as a sorceress. Locked away for the safety of the kingdom, bounties are placed upon the heads of the seven children she birthed. Before they can be found by the kingdoms mage hunters, the seven turn to in-fighting and murder, stealing each others magics to grow stronger. After the battle ...more
Published September 24th 2018 by Blue Feather Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mistress Mage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress Mage

Start your review of Mistress Mage (The Mage-Born Chronicles #2)
Megan
I really enjoyed the first part of this duology, but sadly Mistress Mage was brought down by the same thing that almost ruined Witchmark for me: Characters doing awful things with no consequences. Worse, in the case of this book, because it never even acknowledges that the thing the character did is that bad, and I think the reader was still supposed to sympathise with them. Some minor spoilers for the book follows.

When last we saw Reshi his fear of commitment had seen him running away from
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
Sorcerous Rivalry was one of the highlights of this last year, it had some great characters, smart moments, and was just a fun romp all around so I was quite excited to read Mistress Mage, the follow-up and final book in this duology.

Eight months after the events of the first book we are finding that-

Reshi has been working his way through the palace, waiting for a chance to meet with his half-brother Prince Niko (his full name is a lot longer than that but the hell if I can remember it).
Kila (so
Sirvinya
Eight months after the events of Sorcerous Rivalry, we meet up with Reshi, Kila and Kestral once again.

While I adored the first book, I definitely had mixed feelings about this one. Overall, I enjoyed it but I did have a few issues.

I thought the quality of the writing, while really good in the first book, had improved and become much more confident. There were more complicated (and more) action scenes which were really well plotted out. It was just great to read and I flew through this one!

The
Kristen
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Full review is here on my blog.

Reader, this one is going to be a toughie. I really, really liked Sorcerous Rivalry, because I really liked the relationship between Reshi and Kestral. Now, that one ended with things between them up in the air, so naturally I dove into this one wondering what would happen, but well this one didnt really click with me. Ill try and explain without being too spoilery. If there are any spoilers, theyll be fairly mild in the grand scheme of things, and will concern the
SER
Sep 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
*gross sobbing and incoming rant*
It got harder and harder to read this with each chapter. I had seen other warnings and the low rates reviews but I still wanted to give it a chance, because I adored the first book.

"If you run again, don't bother coming back again."

Kestral, YOU ASS. (view spoiler) This line was the final straw that killed Kestrel's
Alexandra Mack
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After the battle, Reshi realized that he loved Kestral, and he left. Loving someone was too much like being owned by that person for him to accept, and so he ran. Six months have passed and Reshi has started to woo some royals in order to live in the castle and get close to his step-brother, the kings legitimate child Niko. He is also in contact with his exiled mother, and is avidly trying to avoid his murderous brother Velyn. Kestral stayed with Kila and has been hunting for Reshi for the past ...more
Alison
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtq, queer, sff, my-e-things
I really enjoyed the first book in this series and I bought this second book immediately after finishing, but I liked this installment way less. I finished it feeling disappointed and like the series had soured a bit. It's nicely written and exciting and I still loved all the magic, but Kestral turns into an ass and the romance takes a very negative turn. I loved Niko and Kila, and Reshi continues to be entertaining, if a bit annoying. Kestral, however, is less likable and does something awful ...more
C. R.  Ambler
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it

Aaaaaannnnndddd we're back, people!

The second (and final book) in The Mage-Born Chronicles opens with a distraught Kestral obsessively searching for his lost love. Well, less lost, more literally-flew-the-hell-away-due-to-a-serious-case-of-the-commitment-willies love. Kila, the badass red-headed warrior with hang-ups of her own, has loyally stayed by his side in his quest to hunt down Reshi. In the meantime, intrepid and cunning Reshi has been working his way through the palace in his own
Anna K. Scott
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this through the TBRindr programme.

Book Two returns, with some familiar faces and some new ones. Kestral is tracking down his ex-lover Reshi, Reshi's brother and enemy Velyn hints at a deeper, darker plot beneath everything, while Reshi is... Being Reshi, but also carrying out what he believes to be an important task for his mother, the Mistress Mage. The action scenes were excellent, the writing was easy to read, conversations flowed naturally and the gut-punching emotions were
Erick
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Kate
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm on the fence about this one, cuties.

I loved the first book so much. Wonderful world, great well rounded characters, and don't start me on the plot! While this book continued to have those things, the main romantic relationship died in my eyes.

(view spoiler)
Annemarie
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mistress Mage seamlessly continues from where Sorcerous Rivalry leaves off.

The characters of Kestral and Reshi are expanded on in Mistress Mage, giving you more insight into why they act the way they do in regard to situations they find themselves in, and toward each other.

I loved how the character Niko changed from a sickly young man to one of robust health with a wellspring of compassion and understanding of his fellow man. He could also revert to 'spoiled brat syndrome' when he couldn't have
Paul Calhoun
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not sure what to say that I didn't say in the previous installment. The characters continue to be well written, the action paced, and the backstory compelling. I do think that there is some amount of "white-witching" with Reshi's mother, but it's an archetype and it works in the context.

I somewhat disagree with other reviewers on the collar question. I think it makes sense that only Reshi is affected by it strongly because the society had grown to hate and distrust magic, and enslavement was
Andy Winkle
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, lgbtq
Brilliant Conclusion!

Nicol delivers a beautiful conclusion to Sorcerous Rivalry. This was an emotional roller coaster. The relationship between Reshi and Kestral is captured so well, imperfections and all, that at times I had to stop and take breaks. Its hard not to spoil anything, but if you want a story with plot twists, engaging characters, and epic magic battles, this is a must read!
BriarGrey
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 1, Sorcerous Rivalry, was one of my favourite reads this year, so I was very much looking forward to book 2. Mistress Mage falters a bit, hampered by the attitudes of both of its POV main characters, but the overall story is engaging and you will finish the book ready for book 3 so you can see where this goes.
Trefoil
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
J
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lisa Jaeger
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mistress Mage was a great continuation of Sorcerous Rivalry. Anyone who wanted some more romance in the mix will definitely get their wish with this book. These boys have it bad for each other and that drama adds some spice into finding out what kick started the path to familicide...and what needs to be done to stop what has already begun.
Karen Winkle
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mistress Mage was a satisfying, adventurous, and playful read. The unexpected turns in this well-crafted plot, especially with Niko, Velyn and Kestral, were suspenseful and skillfully implemented.
Holly
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I kinda hated first 20ish% of this installment because the main character was acting like a damn idiot, but... things were cleared up. The rest was fine. I enjoyed it.
Sanasai
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-general
Not coherent right now because this kept me up until after midnight. Totally worth it! Good story, good wrap-up, so fun.
Fallenhrts
Jan 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
I liked the first book, I adored Reshi and Kestral but their relationship was different here. The relationship was too toxic for me to enjoy the book and I really disliked Kestral in this book.
Robin Kitchen
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book!

It was a satisfying conclusion to the first! I need to finish processing and then can write a better review!
Eli Breakstop-Kings
Oct 20, 2019
Anastasia
Nov 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • The Sunken Mall (The Tarot Sequence, #1.5)
  • NoX
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • The King's Dragon (Fire and Valor #1)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound #5)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • The Fantastic Fluke
  • How to Save a Human (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #4)
  • The Omega Objection (San Andreas Shifters, #2)
Lifelong nerd and fangirl Kayleigh Nicol earned her Bachelors of Science in Animal Science at Cal Poly Pomona, California. After years of volunteering at zoos and aquariums in California, Kayleigh now works at a therapeutic horseback riding center in Long Island, NY. When not taking care of her own menagerie of rescued animals, she enjoys watching anime, playing video games and reading as many ...more

The Mage-Born Chronicles (2 books)
  • Sorcerous Rivalry (The Mage-Born Chronicles, #1)