Start by marking “Soulkeeper (The Keepers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Soulkeeper (The Keepers, #1)

Soulkeeper

(The Keepers #1)

In the first book of USA Today bestseller David Dalglish's epic fantasy trilogy, a warrior priest must answer the call and protect his world from monsters, when ancient magic suddenly returns to his land.

Devin Eveson is a Soulkeeper, travelling through remote villages as a preacher and healer. But when a dragon awakens - the size of a mountain and leaving great chasms in

Published March 19th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Soulkeeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soulkeeper

Petrik
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the publisher—Orbit—in exchange for an honest review.

4.5/5 stars

Soulkeeper captivated my attention with its seductive storytelling. My inner bookworm is gratified to find another fantasy author’s backlog to go through; I can’t say the same for my bank account.

David Dalglish is not an unfamiliar name to me. For the past two years, I’ve occasionally seen his Shadowdance and Seraphim series being reviewed with positive ratings on bookish social media. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to
Nils | nilsreviewsit
‘“Hundreds of years, we slept. Buried beneath the ground, like seeds. Locked in the sky, like water within clouds. We slept, so you might multiply like rodents. We are angry, and you ask why?”’
I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH
Go read it!!!
End of review.
~
Okay... okay... I’ll go into a bit more detail, but be warned, this review may contain serious amounts of enthusiasm!
~
Soulkeeper by David Dalglish is the first book in The Keepers series, and is just one hell of a bundle of fun and entertainment. This f
Maja Ingrid
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fantasy, the-faves
BEST. BOOK. OF. THE. YEAR. Y'ALL

description

This is not my first meeting with David Dalglish. I enjoyed his Shadowdance series though I never actually finished it, and absolutely adored his Seraphim trilogy. Suffice to say is that I had high expectations on this one, and was also a bit scared my expectations was not met.

Spoilers: It met my expectations and went beyond!

I love the world. How dark and brutal it turned with magic (and gods and monsters) returned. I also liked the magic system alot.

And the char
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

3.5 stars.

Devin Eveson is a Soulkeeper. Soulkeepers are part of the Keeping Church who worship the Three Sisters (Alma, Lyra and Anwyn) and travel the land of the Cradle offering aid, healing, mediating legal issues, officiating marriage ceremonies, overseeing the reaping rituals (where the spirit of the deceased leaves the body during the reaping hour) and offering protection from
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Soulkeeper is an epic fantasy with a huge amount of heart.

I really loved Devin as a a protagonist. He’s a bit of an old fashioned hero. He has kindness in him, unwavering intent and the character to make the right choice over the easy choice. As a Soulkeeper and it is his job to shepherd spirits into the next life where the embrace of the Three Sisters awaits.  Every night there is a time of reaping where, if the circumstances are correct, he can usher glowing balls of lights that are physical m
Liz Barnsley
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent dark and dastardly fantasy. Full review to follow.
Lesa Divine
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may-2019, library, read-it
4 🌟

Interesting. I enjoyed. The words on the cover of the book basically explains a lot. "The magic had returned" " So have to monsters"

Devin a Soulkeeper helps to send souls on and beyond but is also train for the unthinkable with his sword and gun at hand. When he finds that something isn't right about his surrounds mountains talking, wolves talking the dead coming back alive. And he thinks the world has ended.

But magic has returned. Talking faerie. His brother in law has a power he can't unde
Elaine Carass
I need book 2.

I have discovered a talented author who creates worlds and characters to disappear in.

In Soulkeeper we are introduced to Devin who starts out having a normalish day for a guy of his profession to quickly discovering that magic is real and makes some interesting magical friends on his way.
What I liked about this book, was, unlike most epic fantasy's that dedicate a chapter to how grass feels and other useless information, this book is straight into the action, no long winded dialogu
Natasha
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been way too long since I smashed through a book like this in just a few days but holy shit this book is freaking amazing! I love Devin and Puffy and Tes but holy hell do I love Tommy more. I wasn't entirely sold on Jacaranda at first but as the book went on I actually found myself liking her a lot. I even appreciated the psychotic mess that was Janus.

All the characters were wonderful and brilliant and bring on Ravencaller...like right now please...
Tara
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

First I will start by saying that I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I liked this book. The world building was done well and is interesting. Although I would like to see more of a background for the characters and the world in the following books.

The only thing I didn't like was the language used. Now I don't mean I don't like f-bombs, I am a big fan and use them on a frequent basis myself. But I just felt like they were a bit out of place in this story. Almost like they didn't
Soo
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
*Need to Review

Notes: Somewhat "young" in tone but overall, there are cool little twists in how certain characters are portrayed and excellent backstory for the world.

Giving it 4 stars for the overall feel of the story. It's more like 3.5 in my head but the narrator was great and made the story more cohesive.
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
This is a fantasy novel that follows the taste of the good old traditional fantasy tales in the manner of Eddings, and Tolkien. I enjoyed the novel. It has a likable cast of characters, and the book is not clear a to who the real villain is. The worldbuilding was nicely integrated with the religion, which plays a major part in the events of the story. The magic is simple, but well done, which can be used in the form of prayers, blessings, and curse. I haven't read anything by Dalglish previously ...more
Andrea
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest unbiased review.

I've noticed the description of the book on here has changed, I think the latest iteration is better than the previous one.

While I do enjoy fantasy novels, I prefer ones shorter in length. This book is a long thick read, and hence it's taken me quite a while to get through it. I found it easy to get pulled into the story.

When the author mentioned the "corpses that can walk" and "corrupted humans" and "amalgamation of
Lee Sharp
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enslaved!

I couldn’t put it down. I was sucked right into the action. It was like reading Revelations, written to continue with Genesis on a psychedelic. The author forced me to care about the whole crew he assembled for his big adventure, who reminded me of a RPG party, if you got your GM an extensive bottle for the character creation session. Looking forward to the next in the series!
Will
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.4 / 5 stars

Originally reviewed on: https://arefugefromlife.wordpress.com/

Soulkeeper was my 9th Dalglish book, and honestly one of the better ones. I’m generally a fan of him—I mean, a lot of his books were good, yet few were solid, 5-star reads (mostly 3.5 – 4). Soulkeeper begins the Keepers’ series, one that feels a combination of new age and classic, with but a hint of dark fantasy. The Shadowdance series was definitely more in the vein of dark fantasy, though not enough that I’d call it gri
Jason
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
It’s like The Witcher minus the everything.

I know Dalglish has an editor, because he thanks her in the acknowledgements. But I feel this book could have used a LOT more editorial direction and involvement. There was just so much going on that distracted from The Big Problem.

There's a giant living mountain outside of the city walls, monsters in the streets and Emo T-1000 wantonly murdering and mutilating swaths of people in increasingly gruesome ways, but Our Hero has time to go on a date. Prior
Nicole

This book takes horror and gore to the next level. I can take it usually but some of the things done to people in this book were really twisted and horrifying, they were on Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer level. It was kind of disturbing. Aside from that nightmare, I had a lot of fun reading this book. From its traditional hero Devin, to its zany and fun side characters, this book has all the feels of a traditional D&D adventure. This is not LitRPG to clarify.

Dalglish always create
Ruth Harwood
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I saw this in the library, I grabbed it, knowing the author from his previous books, and knowing this would be a book I would love. Yes, I loved it. And to know there's more to come of this series is exciting! He's not just joining the ranks of the greats, as it quotes on the back, he's already there! A well-written story of five 'dragons' who have awoken, along with other creatures, to find their world, once shared with humans, has been overwhelmed by them. Who wouldn't be annoyed? T ...more
Gregg Buford
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I did not read the reviews so didn't have any expectations or ideas about the book really. It seems its another man against magic creature book. Humans and others don't understand each other and humans are arrogant and hateful of what they don't understand. I thought Devin would be an ass but quickly showed he was different from what I thought from reading first chapter. He proved very adaptable to most everything really which I found sort of annoying for some reason. The other characters were t ...more
Joy
A straight forward S&S adventure. No wasted time on rationale explanations of why the world exists, why the magic works. Lawful good heros vs. chaotic evil. Lots of monsters for battle. Civilians died by the thousands.

At least that was my first impression. From a slow start the story gets more complex with the lawful good guys getting a bit more evil and the evil, well maybe not so much.

The humans had a religion much like the real world. Good for comforting the pain of life and death with pr
jD
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of David Dalglish and his ability to twist the familiar into something unique. This book introduced a violent and desperate world where forgotten gods are flexing their muscles. Not a new concept of Dalglish so I was able to follow the chaotic journey. I quickly came to care for Devin, the hero and main character. I did not however come to care for most of the characters until the last chapters of the book when one of them gets killed. Then it hit me that the character was importa ...more
Pat Webb
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know when you are hurting and in pain and you just want to find THE book that takes you away to a different world? This is that book!! I felt it drawing me in by the first 20 pages and by the time I got to pg 50, I was happily a captive.

I don't give 5 stars easily but because I couldn't put it down, it earned them. This book is one of my favorites next to Harry Potter.

I loved the world and the characters. The action was like rolling hills....came and then slowed a little, and then came and
Kinsey Breland
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved the amount of detail David Dalglish put into this story to describe the mythical creatures, the magic system, and the fight scenes.

My favorite human character was definitely Tommy; a gay Wise man who gained the power to cast spells when the magic system and creatures woke up. I found his kind of awkward personality charming and can't wait to find out if he gets a love-interest as the story progresses.

Puffy; a firekin, is my favorite of the mythical creatures we have met in this book. I
Chris Bauer
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
First book I've read by David Daglish and won't be the last.

"Soulkeeper" is the first book in a new series by the author. By and large, the work is composed of standard conventions and tropes in high fantasy. In other words, if you're expecting the "usual suspects" you won't be disappointed.

But the author does several other things which add some exciting novelty to the book.
- LGBTQ characters
- An interesting manner of wrapping high fantasy in an almost grimdark shroud
- Well-depicted and fascina
Michael Hatton
One an done. The first book of this new trilogy was not enough to capture my desire to read any more. There were moments when the writing and plot were outstanding. But it was outweighed by the parts that were tedious, characterization that was shallow and sometimes just too unbelievable. I enjoy good fantasy but this comes in under good.
Dee Sanfilippo
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the premise. It was a quick, fairly satisfying read. That said, this isn't the type of book I normally choose to read. It hooks you in fairly quickly, then keeps moving.

I really learned to love the characters. I may or may not read the rest of this trilogy when it comes out.
Tim
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
OMG!!!! That was a fantastic read. From cover to cover I was involved in the story, the characters and the saga. The ending was perfect and most important the characters were not weepy and whiny. They were strong, they suffered and they loved.
Anne Sims
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enthralling

I gave this 5 stars as usual the plot keeps you wanting more. You felt as if you were part of the characters lives. Would recommend this to all fantasy readers
Leslie Pinson
Really loved it! Well developed characters and world they battle in. When is the sequel??
John
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
More like 2.5 stars, I could never have read it, but as an audiobook it was ok.

• Beneath the Twisted Trees (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #4)
  • Reskilling America: Learning to Labor in the Twenty-First Century
  • Causality
  • Ambition Addiction: How to Go Slow, Give Thanks, and Discover Joy Within
  • Hexes for the Modern Age: Contemporary Curses for the People Who Irritate You the Most
  • This Second Chance
  • Liberty and Means
  • Tongwan City
  • Fireborn
  • Salisbury Affair (Edward Ware Thrillers #2)
  • Project Anastasis
  • The Telling Image: Shapes of Changing Times
  • Getting to YUM: The 7 Secrets of Raising Eager Eaters
  • The Gutter Prayer
  • The Witch of Kilmara: Irish Tales
  • Baby Animals Take a Bath
  • Ugly Town: The Movie: A Novel
  • Little Book of Dream Symbols: The Essential Guide to Over 700 of the Most Common Dreams