Start by marking “The Voice in My Head” as Want to Read:
The Voice in My Head

The Voice in My Head

From the author of Tiffany Sly Lives Here Now comes an unforgettable novel about facing the impossible, dealing with family chaos—and making sense of everything you are.

For Indigo Phillips, life has always been her and her identical twin—Violet. The perfectly dressed, gentle, popular sister. But now Violet is terminally ill and, in a few hours, plans to die on her own
Published May 28th 2019 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about The Voice in My Head, please sign up.
Anonyma'am Read PinkAmy's review. I had the same question; her review answered it.

TL;DR - not too religious and, apparently, not preachy.…more
Read PinkAmy's review. I had the same question; her review answered it.

TL;DR - not too religious and, apparently, not preachy.(less)

Start your review of The Voice in My Head
Nenia ⭐️ Queen of Awkward ⭐️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF

I actually really hated this book, and ended up putting it off for days because reading it was so unpleasant. It's a shame, because even though I knew it wasn't going to be a happy book, the topics it dealt with sounded so important and relevant that I really wanted to give it a chance, despite my gut saying, "No, no, no, no, no, you're going to regret this! No, no, no, no, no."

I should have listened to my gut.

This is a story about t
Jazmen
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm. I’m not sure how to feel about this one.

Indigo and Violet are twin sisters. And one of them is dying. Indigo can’t imagine life
without her twin, so she attempts suicide, but her attempt is unsuccessful.

A broken arm, a concussion and one voice of God later, had Indigo dragging her terminally ill sister on a trip to the Wave. The voice in her head tells her if she gets her sister to the wave, she’ll live.

Determination and a mustard seed of faith take the family on a barely planned road trip t
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads

From the beginning of this novel, I think it's easy to predict what the eventual ending of this story will be. This story is moreso about the journey getting there and the lessons learned along the way.

This was a good, emotional, and wholesome read that reinforced the importance of living and not just surviving.

I know that this novel will have some controversy as this topic is very controversial even within the medical community. There are many, many opinions of what is 'right' and wh
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of THE VOICE IN MY HEAD by Dana L Davis in exchange for my honest review.***

Indigo prepares to jump from a building when she hears a voice in her head claiming to be god. Not wanting to live without her terminally ill twin Violet, god tells Indigo her sister will live if they visit The Wave. Instead of swallowing pills to die with dignity, Violet agrees to take a road trip with her family.

Depending on the reader’s perspective, Indigo’s
The Nerd Daily
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Sasha Zatz

In Dana L. Davis’s The Voice In My Head, our main character, Indigo, and her family go on a road trip and the story will take the reader on a journey too with it filled with plenty of emotion. Not 70 pages in, you may find yourself already crying and laughing over a beautifully written story whose characters will stay with you forever.

Indigo was unique and smart and every member of the Phillips family were great, plus Pastor Jed of cou
Sandra  {coffee & books}
This bittersweet story is about twin sisters Violet and Indigo Phillips and their family as they traverse all the ups and downs that make up a life fully lived. Violet is battling a terminal lung disease, Indigo is struggling to deal with it, and with a strange turn of events, the family is set in motion on the adventure for a lifetime.

In the midst of dealing with things like terminal illness, suicide, and euthanasia, this story shines with love, hope, faith, humor, and family. I can't even say
Erika
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, netgalley, roadtrip
Thanks to Netgalley for the chance to read early for an honest review.

This book.

From the beginning of the story, I was laughing out-loud. Indigo's family is crazy in the best possible way. They were hilarious and the way they interacted felt authentic. There were so many good lines that I wanted to stop and remember.

This book deals with some pretty heavy issues - a suicide attempt and euthanasia. The humor is in no way downplaying these. And I think the discussion questions at the end are a good
Jypsy
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The Voice In My Head is a sad story. Twins Indigo and Violet have lost the closeness they once shared but for a good reason. At eighteen years old, one of the twins, Violet, is terminal. Dying. The grief of the surviving sister is a palpable thing. Indigo begins to hear the voice of God telling her things to do to save her sister. The story is far fetched for me. It's proof that people will believe what they want to believe even though it's ridiculous. It's a sad story about a family in the midd ...more
Mona  AlvaradoFrazier
I selected this book based on an interesting premise: Twin sisters, 18-year-old Indigo and Violet, are not close. Indigo lives in the shadow of her popular sister, Violet who becomes terminally ill. When she plans to die on her own terms via medically assisted death, Indigo spirals into desperation in her efforts to cope. That’s when she begins to hear a mysterious voice—a voice claiming to be God. The voice insists that if she takes Violet to a remote rock formation in the Arizona desert, her s ...more
Llyr Heller-Humphreys
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful story about family and love.
Kendall
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok.. this book was just sad!!!

Ugh... super heart breaking :(.
The book follows the story of two 18 year old twin sisters Indigo and Violet who have lost their connection along the way of growing up. Indigo and Violet are the polar opposite of one another. Violet is suffering from an intense illness that will ultimately take her life. Violet is given a choice to end her life with dignity. This changes when Indigo hears the word of God in her head. This mysterious god voice is telling Indigo that
sol
one of the first times o dnf an arc and i dropped really quick

was not a fan
rtc
Inkyard Press
Categories
Young Adult Family, Young Adult Social Themes
Darcy
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an e-arc of this title in exchange for an honest review!

TW for suicide, medical assisted suicide, terminal illness/medical stuff.

Indigo's twin sister Violet has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. Indigo, unable to fathom life without her twin sister decides to jump from a building. But before she does, she calls to God to help. Then, just as Indigo decides not to jump, God answers back and she's so surprised that she falls off the building.

But
Kibbenza
(ARC provided by Netgalley in return for my honest opinion.)

Indigo's sister is dying. As in, she's terminal. As in she's going to die by doctor assisted suicide. As in Indigo is about to be one half of a set. Overwhelmed at the prospect of living without her twin, Indigo climbs a building, prepared to die, too. But before she can leap, she hears a voice telling her that if she takes her sister to Arizona, she'll live. Always a believer, her sister Violet agrees, and the whole family takes off on
Seema Rao
Davis’ second book is about twins, one of whom is terminally ill. Interestingly enough, the plot is less well-done than Davis’ first book. But, the writing and character development are better. This book is a total tear-jerker. I am impressed at how Davis engages YA audiences in faith and death while maintaining moments of levity. As Davis says in her author’s note, this is a book about family. The relationship between the two sisters is very well done.

3.5

Thanks to Edelweiss+ for the ARC in exc
Ms. Woc Reader
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: black-lead
When I first read the description of this book I passed it over unsure of what to expect. The words terminally ill jumped out at me and I assumed this would just be another one of those sad stories about the journey towards someone's death. But while Violet was very sick this story instead chose to focus on her being alive. The family goes on a journey based off the hope that she will be cured. And we follow them along for this crazy road trip. There were characters who I didn't enjoy but we get ...more
Moony MeowPoff
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Got this book as an ARC from Edelweiss+*

Oh my god. this book, it was so beautiful, so heartbreaking. I don't even know what to say. I feel it in my bones, in my heart and soul how much it sort of affected me, how it made me think, and feel - and let alone, how it made me want to live my life to the fullest. I loved it, but i also, hated it? i hated how heartbreaking it was, how i rooted for...another ending of sorts... i am an emotional person, and it shows, i'm crying for Indigo, i'm crying fo
Shana
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, giveaway, ya
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

This is the story of Indigo trying to make her way through an incredibly difficult time that has impacted her entire family. She starts to hear a voice in her head, which leads her family on a wild road trip in a desperate situation.

I fell in love with this family very quickly and I wanted all good things for them. I was incredibly impressed with how Dana L. Davis dealt with such a difficult topic, death with dignity, that includes humor, hijinks and
Carli
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin Teen for the advance Kindle copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

⭐️⭐️⭐️/5 for this 5.28.19 release. Indigo and Violet are identical twins. When Violet, who is terminally ill, decides to exercise her right to die by medical assistance, Indigo starts hearing a voice that claims to be God. With the help of this voice, Indigo convinces her family to take one last trip, hoping to keep Violet alive. Sad and deep, this one is a good fit for high school readers.
♡*WithLove, Reesie*♡ ☆~Nikki~☆
"Easy peasy lemon squeezy"

Cute, hopeful, sad, quirky, funny...

I do wish we got a little more at the end of Indigo.

I wonder why this book is not marketed as inspirational or Christian fiction with God as an active character. I read Christian Fiction and would have missed this book in my search.

I would not read again because my heart! But i would reccomend to high middle school, lower high school students.
mads
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a unique story about twin sisters who will go to the ends of the earth for one another. Indigo must face the fact her sister is fatally ill but it's an impossible task. Just when all hope seems lost, she begins to hear a voice in her head claiming to be God.

Typically, I would steer clear of any story with a heavy religious subtext, but I decided to step outside my comfort zone with this book because I was curious about how the story would play out. I liked the unorthodox interpretation o
Teresa
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
This was wonderful. Dana Davis continues to impress me with the difficult subjects she takes on in her YA novels. This one includes assisted suicide and hearing the voice of God. I was concerned it would come off as preachy. Happily, I was wrong. I loved getting to know Indigo and her family. There was lots of laughter and a few tears. I'm already looking forward to Dana's next one.
Gregory Schwartz
What an engrossing book! I love Dana Davis' books because she does the heavy lifting for me by crafting excellent, gripping, approachable stories and she allows my critical mind to disengage. So I can just read, get lost in the narrative, and enjoy. This is what a book is supposed to be -- an escape, and also a nourishing experience for your mind and soul. I'm so glad I got ahold of an advanced copy!
Lynne Lambdin
Sometimes a reader can get into a rut. When you read heavily, stories become predictable, sound alike and content begins to lack originality. I went into The Voice in My Head expecting the issues described. But what I got was a story that had me hooked and compulsively reading as if Voilet's life depended on it. And what a life experience it was.

Voilet and Indigo are eighteen year old identical twins. While they have the same DNA, their personalities could not be more different. Which is quite
Michelle
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

Thank you to Inkyard Press for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

At it's core, this book is about two sisters who lost their close connection along the way. Indigo and Violet together are such a sweet combination and once they finally talk about their life, it's nice to see their bond grow closer again and open up to each other. Unfortunately, this doesnt happen until late in the book and truthfully I would've liked mor
Ula
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twin sisters are about to be torn apart by the terminal health condition when HE comes to the rescue. The all-mighty God appears as ‘the Voice’ in Indigo’s head to save the day. Maybe he’s a bit quirky and reads her thoughts without permission but she decides to take a leap of faith.

It’s a beautifully written book about a heartwarming family expedition in pursuit of life, literally
I loved how lightly and humorous author tells about tough topics like life and death.
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 3.5 Stars

The time had arrived. Indigo's twin sister, Violet, would be "dying with dignity", and in a last ditch attempt, Indigo called out to God to allow her sister to live. What she didn't expect was for God to answer back. A family road trip resulted from her talks with God, and this road trip turned out to be an enlightening and healing journey for the entire family.

Beware, this book was pretty sad. It was about a family taking their final journey together as a whole unit. One child
ExpatLibrary
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a 'coming of age' story about African-American twins who diverge in mind and heart when one decides to end her life with dignity after a severe, incurable lung illness and the other starts to hear the voice of "God" in her head.

I am not a big fan of grief reading. I enjoy the occasional Jodi Picoult novel but it isn't my first choice. So I when I picked up The Voice, I did it to resolve the 'problem' I had in needing to find out what actually WAS the voice in Indigo's head (spiritual, r
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While reading this book I was either laughing, laughing hysterically, crying, or full on sobbing. This was incredible!

The story follows Indigo whose twin sister Violet is terminally ill. Violet decides she wants to die on her own terms by medically assisted death. However Indigo hears a voice in her head claiming to be God, and tells her if she takes her sister to the Wave, she will live. The entire family embarks on a journey to get Violet there before it’s too late. Hijinks ensue.

I loved how
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: No paragraph breaks in the paperback summary 2 10 May 28, 2019 04:42PM

• The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • Jackpot
  • Angel Thieves
  • The Silence Between Us

Articles featuring this book

While books about anti-racism are trending on Goodreads and dominating the bestseller lists right now, some of our favorite Black authors are...
“So a true pursuit of happiness...” “Is ever changing. Ever expanding.” 0 likes