Start by marking “The Misfortunes of Family” as Want to Read:
The Misfortunes of Family

The Misfortunes of Family

WHAT BRINGS FAMILY TOGETHER CAN ALSO PULL IT APART

JJ, Spenser, Charlie and Philip, the four adult sons of retired Senator John Bright, dutifully head with their partners to the lake house for their annual family reunion. The Brights are the picture of perfectness, a family of outsize pride—fun, attractive, competitive and a bit terrible… They have everything they need,
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about The Misfortunes of Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Misfortunes of Family

Start your review of The Misfortunes of Family
Natalie
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Bright family is the personification of the political dynasties we know. During a trip to the home of the Bright patriarchs all four of their sons become involved in the unraveling of years of parental machinations and lies.

This was really a great read with interesting characters. I was totally engaged and willing to accept some of the clearly absurd situations that are built into the story. Rather than question them, I let myself enjoy this good read with incredibly likable characters.

Janet
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

WHAT BRINGS FAMILY TOGETHER CAN ALSO PULL IT APART

JJ, Spenser, Charlie and Philip, the four adult sons of
Meghan
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from HARLEQUIN - MIRA in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This book screams future Hallmark movie and/or regular movie due to the perfect family having family problems forgetting what it means to be a family tightened together. All it takes is a film producer agreeing to film the Senator and his sons for a documentary at their family reunion. Little did they know their youngest son picks this time
Kayo
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bravo bravo! What a fun and exciting family drama. While each character had their flaws, it was just a regular family. Yes they were in the spotlight, but they argued and loved like any family. Loved this book!!

Thanks to author,publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free,it had no bearing on the rating it.
Morgan Schulman
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reader-s-copy
I received an advanced reader’s copy in exchange for an honest review

Very well crafted. Was five star 90% of the way but the ending was a smidge too dramatic, hence the four. Hubris never gets to be its own reward.
Sharondblk
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was given a free e-arc from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The first 90 percent of this book was a solid, enjoyable 5 star read. It was well written, and covered interesting themes, such as family, loyalty, what it means to belong. The main characters were all likeable, flawed and only a little bit "typed" (political wife, gay professor, sensitive brother etc) .
It troddles along very satisfyingly, and then starts ramping up the DRAMA, which is fine. That's not
Ann
Thanks to the publisher for an advance reader's copy.

I love a rich family's drama in a picturesque setting, but everything about the book felt surface-level - the plot, the characters, the introspection. The characters are obviously meant to have secret depths beneath the public veneer, (please, let there be more underneath the surface of a family that says things like "Mom, can you make us some of your famous guacamole?" and tosses a football around as soon as they greet each other), but I
Donna Hines
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
One by one the truth unravels and is about to take down the Senator and his four adult sons.
Can this drama be stopped, will his future career be in jeopardy for his next political run, can the boys come together and put pettiness and bitterness aside?
The Misfortunes of Family is a diversion like no other especially with regard to political agendas playing a role upon the 'ideal' family.
Everyone seeks rainbows and roses in this situation yet not everyone is given such luxuries.
It turns out the
Jodi VanMeter
Nov 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book. I guess I am definitely in the minority here with this review. When I read the blurb for this book I was quite intrigued and was expecting some major drama and excitement. I don’t know, I totally did not like this family. I thought them making the terrorist attack all about them did not sit well with me and at that point I was just done with this family. The very best part of the book was the end and Patty’s point of view. ...more
Gea
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-com
You would think that anyone in public life these days would know that their past will eventually catch up with them - you only have to watch the news! The secrets of retired politician John Bright and his wife Patty are revealed, throwing the family with their four grown sons into turmoil. Suddenly this family that seemed too good to be true is revealed to be exactly that. But the truth can also bring the family together again.
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ARC from Netgalley for an honest review. I enjoyed that we viewed this over the top family through the eyes of the outsiders. It’s an interesting take. However, I felt the ending was not worth the build up. You knew something was coming but I ended up thinking “this was it?”
Jen

• Such a Fun Age
  • Oona Out of Order
  • The Sweeney Sisters: A Novel
  • The Glittering Hour
  • Don't Look Down (Shadows of New York #2)
  • Redhead By The Side Of The Road
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Minor Dramas & Other Catastrophes
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
Meg Little Reilly is the author of the novels THE MISFORTUNES OF FAMILY, EVERYTHING THAT FOLLOWS, and WE ARE UNPREPARED. She is a writer at Bennington College, an essayist, public radio commentator, and outdoors enthusiast. Prior to writing novels, Meg worked in national politics and the White House. She holds a B.A. from the University of Vermont and an M.A. from the George Washington University. ...more