Start by marking “The Rancher Takes a Family (The Montana McGregor Brothers Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Rancher Takes a Family (The Montana McGregor Brothers Book 1)

The Rancher Takes a Family

(The Montana McGregor Brothers #1)

Rugged rancher Jake McGregor wrangles cattle better than kids, but when he's suddenly saddled with three grieving children, he's determined to step up. His sister's kids shouldn't pay for her error in judgment in naming him guardian. Problem is, he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. And the woman who attempts to help with his every fumble is the one woman he wants to ste ...more
Published October 11th 2018 by Tule Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Rancher Takes a Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rancher Takes a Family

Start your review of The Rancher Takes a Family (The Montana McGregor Brothers Book 1)
Beth
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jake McGregor, rancher, is left his sister three small children when she and her parents are killed in an airplane crash. Not only is Jake devastated by the loss of his own parents, sister and her husband but now he must become guardian to three children who lost their parents and grandparents. Ranching is a tough life, but he is up to the challenge. His two brothers also come home to the ranch and help him.

Lacey Anderson was not expecting Jake, the man that broke her heart, to come to her schoo
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)

I cannot begin to express how much I loved Paula Altenburg’s The Rancher Takes a Family. This is truly a second chance romance full of heart.

Jake McGregor finds himself the guardian of his two nephews and niece; ten-year-old Mac, five-year-old Finn and infant Lydia, after his sister, brother-in-law, and parents are killed in a plane crash. To say everyone is grieving would be an understatement. For the kids, the situation is worse because they are moved away from everything they know in
Char (1RadReader59)
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jake McGregor and his brothers Luke and Zach have all lived through one of the worse few days of their lives. Finding out they have just lost their mom, dad, sister, and brother-in-law in a horrible plane crash when they went on a trip for their father’s birthday.

Before boarding the plane, they took out insurance as to who would care for their three precious children Mac 10, Finn 5, and Lyddie almost 2. Jake thinks she did it as a joke because no one ever really thinks that they will die and l
Linda Quick
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! This novel drew me in from the very beginning with Jake, the bachelor rancher, trying to wrangle his sister's three young children on a plane... but some wrangling is beyond even the most experienced rancher. Once he finally gets them home, he has no idea what to do with them or how to help them with the loss of their mother.

When Jake brings the two boys to school, he sees Lacey, the girl that got away. They both hurt each other badly when they were teens, but Lacey won't let th
Shari
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, loved this book!! After the first few pages I knew I would love Jake. Jake was content in his life as a rancher but things changed when he now has his nephews and niece after his sister dies. His other two single brothers move in to help with ranch and the kids. Lacey is the school teacher for the kids, plus Jake's high school girlfriend. They both made mistakes in the past and now Jake wants to start fresh.

Loved these characters, many laugh out moments with the kids. Great chemistry b
Heather 123
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Eh... I'm still unsure about this book.

The story line was interesting and some of the characters were well developed. My issue is how incredibly short the book was. It's priced as a full length novel, but in reality is barely over what is considered a novella. I point this out because generally I don't read novellas, they typically fall short for me.

And that's exactly what this one did.

The book felt rushed. The kids haven't even made it into the house before the author has them attending school
Bette Hansen
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Jake was an amazing character and I loved the way he stepped up to care for his niece and nephews. What comes out of a tragedy is a second chance with the girl of his dreams. Lacy and Jake both made mistakes when they were younger but that spark between them has never died and what they could have now is more than either has ever dreamed.

This is a great read with some amazing characters. Looking forward to the next book in the series. I definitely recommend this one.
Pamela Devereux
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jake MacGregor is the oldest brother. He is the one who loves the land and the ranch. In the blink of an eye, all that changes. He is now guardian of 3 small children that belonged to his sister. It seems that the 3 MacGregor brothers, who are all bachelors, now need to figure out how to care for them. There are some funny times. Lacey Anderson was Jake's first love. She is now a school teacher. It seems there is a second chance at love. Will everything come first before them? Will the family fi ...more
Lydia Hannaman
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely beautifully written. I loved the characters and the storyline so much! The end had me literally in (happy) tears just now!
Mary Silvestri
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

A really good cowboy story. Well written with a really nice plot. I am looking forward to reading about Jake's brothers. Excellent start to the series. Highly recommend!
Sue
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed the story but wished it was longer. It ended abruptly in my opinion too. ‘‘Tis book takes place in Grand, Montana. It is the story of the McGregors. The parents and sister and brother in law have been killed in an accident in Peru. Jake, the oldest brother was named guardian of the sisters 3 children. Jake had been helping run the ranch with his dad. The other brothers were working in corporate America but have retur ...more
Louise Bird
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jake is now the guardian of his two nephews (Mac age 10 and Finn age 5) and his niece (Lyddie 2). Both his sister her husband and Jake’s parents were killed in a plane crash.
That leaves Jake and his brothers Luke and Zack were now in charge of the three children and the family business. Luke and Zack agree to put there lives on hold for a year to help out.
Lacey (Jake’s high school sweetheart) and Jake reconnect when Jake registers the boys for school. (Lacey is a teacher at the school). Will the
Emma
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Rancher Takes a Family by Paula Altenburg
Rugged rancher Jake McGregor wrangles cattle better than kids, but when he’s suddenly saddled with three grieving children, he’s determined to step up. His sister’s kids shouldn’t pay for her error in judgment in naming him guardian. Problem is, he doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing. And the woman who attempts to help with his every fumble is the one woman he wants to steer clear of…
Lacey Anderson loves a challenge, but Jake’s already broken her hear
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
Reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

There are some stories that just grab you by the heartstrings and won't let go - The Rancher Takes A Family is one of those stories.  Imagine for a moment, as painful as that may be, that in one moment you've lost your parents, your sister and her husband in a plane crash.  Devastated is the mildest of emotions felt in that tragedy.  Then imagine that you've been named guardian of your sister's three grieving children who have just had their world destroyed... how do
Monique
Review written: October 16, 2018
Star Rating: ★★★½☆
Heat Rating: ☀☀☼☼☼

An Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of this book was received free via Netgalley for an honest review.

I love reading Tule books because Marietta, Montana and I rarely stray outside that zone. But the title and back cover blurb for The Rancher Takes a Family was just impossible to resist, so I snagged it. I'm really glad I did.

I loved Jake from the first. It all started with his way of dealing with grief, because I am the same.
Romantic Reads and Such
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Altenburg delivers a sweet second chance romance about an unprepared guy who steps up to take care of his orphaned niece and nephews. And it is absolutely adorable how these big strong guys are responsible for the oh-so-cute kids. They each have a connection with a different kid and it wonderfully sets up future stories. Even better it’s done with just the lightest amount of drama – all three guys are opinionated, but they handle any disagreements pretty well.

There’s also only a little drama on
Sherri Babb
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by this author and I could not put it down. I think my ovaries melted into a big puddle and I do not think I am getting them back anytime soon. Jake was absolutely perfect. He had it all. He was sexy, handsome, sweet, kind, and always put others before what he wanted. His sister, her husband, and his mom and dad all die in a plane crash. He becomes the guardian of his sister's kids. He was so unsure of what to do with them but he tried his hardest to do what he ...more
Connie
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley and I am voluntarily reviewing it.

What a great story of a second chance romance. The female protagonist (Lacey) was very spoilt and not mature enough for the life-time love with the male protagonist (Jake). Jake was trying to make for a romantic evening the night of his prom but it back fired on him. No more details sorry! Over a decade later and a lot of growing up. These two get their second chance. It was a gripping story that was ha
Sharon Grow
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A truly enjoyable second chance romance for Jake McGregor and Lacey Anderson, former high school sweethearts. Jake has more problems than he can handle, but he has no choice but to step up and take care of his sister’s three children. Tragically, his sister and her husband along with Jake’s parents were killed in a plane crash and Jake is now the children’s guardian. He brings the children to their ranch where he will have help from his two brothers, Luke and Zack. The children, although traumat ...more
Paula
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Rancher Takes a Family is a heartwarming story by Paula Altenburg. The children stole my heart from the beginning as Jake is attempting to get them all to the ranch. Their tragic loss is heartbreaking while their resilience is inspiring. This book has a strong feeling of realism that you wonder if the author had been through such a tragedy or knows someone who has.

The plot flows as it would happen in life. Jake is the well-meaning, strong silent type of guy. He would fit into a Clint Eastw
Karen Roma
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 Star Review.....

The Rancher Takes a Family is the first story in Paula Altenburg’s The Montana McGregor Brothers, and what a wonderful story it is! Not only a second chance romance, but an account of the tragedy of loss and the brutal effect on the ones left behind.

No thirty something single man ever expects to find he has instantly become a father of three; burying deep the emotions combined with the loss of his parents and only sister, and dealing with his two obnoxious brothers, is the
Bonnie Denzer
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good read on a wintery afternoon

One, I liked the length of this book - long enough to develop the story and characters without too much internal dialog or peripheral filler that doesn't add to story.

Two, the brother's bond is believable - how this reader likes to think all families should be. They don't always agree, but have their own strengths and moral compasses that keep them united when tragedy strikes their roots.

Third, I enjoyed the love story between Jake and Lacey. Some history that k
S
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book more than I did. It started out strong, the tragedy that happens to Jakes family is horrible. You could feel his stress when he was on the airplane with the kids. Unfortunately after that it all fell flat. The characters, the chemistry between Lacey and Jake.. it was all flat. Beige. Even the side characters (Jakes brothers) were interchangeable and none of them acted like they had all suffered this huge tragedy or giving up a year of their lives was a big deal. The mo ...more
Jessica
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first few pages had me sucked in... poor Jake was having issues getting his deceased sister's 3 kids onto a plane... they didn't even all have seats together. Next thing you know Jake is walking off the plane with the kids and they end up driving from New York to Montana.
When the children are headed to there first day of school, Lacey sees all of them. Her and Jake dated when she was 16 and he was 18. Breaking up with him broke her heart and his.
Lacey reaches out to Jake for a parent teache
Becky Burciaga
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic start to a new series...right out of the gate I was drawn into the story, its characters left quite the impression. Jake’s despair was palpable, you could just feel his anxiety and near fear to unexpectedly being thrown the curveball of being responsible for the care and wellbeing of his nephews and niece.

The characters were authentic, with distinct personalities, their experiences realistic, and with the chemistry between Jake and Lacey sending out sparks, this was one story I had a
Jayasree B
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-kindle-lib
A Cowboy Romance!!!

A man who lost his parents, his sister and at the same time became guardian to her three kids - a man who would have moved mountains to undo the devastation that wrecked his family.
Jake now has his hands full with running the ranch, taking care of his nephews and niece. His two brothers, move in to help as well. Then there is his high school sweetheart who has moved back into town. With each coping with the loss in their own way, this was a feel-good love story.

This book has
Sandi Ramirez
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Second Chance Romance and a rebuilding of a family after tragedy

This was a different sort of a read but one had me in tears in parts. Can you imagine losing you mom, dad sister and bother in law and then find out you are the guardian to their 3 young children? Well that's what happened to Make and what this book is about. Jake and 2 of his brothers bring the 3 children home from New York to Wagging Tongue Montana to their dairy farm. Yes their is a romance in this book...in fact a very good, sec
Paula Pugh
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jake McGregor is struggling to create a stable and secure home for his sister’s three orphaned children with the help of his two brothers. He is at a loss as to what to do to reign in angry Mac and engage grieving Finn. The baby, Lydia, is a source of strength and joy for him. Teacher and high school sweetheart, Lacey Anderson, sees the struggle and need for assistance in Jake. She takes Jake under her wing to help guide him along the new parent path.
They have history of a bad break up that dema
Shelagh
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Leslie Ooten
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an okay read. The writing flowed okay, but the whole story wasn't really developed enough for me. Lacey's thoughts are always that Jake doesn't share enough. Jake gets annoyed that Lacey didn't come to him when a family emergency comes up. Neither problem is ever addressed. Jake never talks about his grief, and Lacey never shares about her family. The whole thing with her family isn't really resolved either. The ending was pretty abrupt, although the epilogue does give a glimpse into th ...more

• The Convenient Cowboy (The Hansen Brothers #2)
  • The Cowboy Next Door (Once Upon a Western, #3)
  • Bundle of Love (Long Valley, #4)
  • A Son for the Texas Cowboy (The Texas Wolf Brothers #1)
  • Troy (American Extreme Bull Riders Tour, #5)
  • Doctor for Christmas (Marietta Medical, #3)
  • Luke's Gift (The Harlow Brothers #2)
  • A Marvell Country Christmas (Men of the Marvell Ranch #2)
  • Taming The Texas Cowboy (Forever Texan, #1)
  • The Cowboy's Daughter (Three Sisters Ranch, #1)
  • Tanner's Promise (The Harlow Brothers #1)
  • Choose Me, Cowboy (77th Copper Mountain Rodeo #4; Canadays of Montana #2)
  • Overdue for Love (Long Valley, #3.5)
  • The Sheriff's Little Matchmaker
  • The Rancher's Mail-Order Bride (Bachelors of Shotgun Ridge, #1)
  • The Playboy's Own Miss Prim (Bachelors of Shotgun Ridge, #2)
  • The Second Chance Rancher (The Millers of Morgan Valley #1)
  • Love Me, Cowgirl (The Gallaghers of Montana #2; The 78th Copper Mountain Rodeo #4)
Paula Altenburg grew up in rural Nova Scotia knowing that at some point in her life she was likely to be a fiction writer. Swapping Louis L’Amour and Zane Grey books with her father guaranteed she wasn’t going to be the next Jane Austen, much to the dismay of her English teacher mother.

A degree in Social Anthropology from the University of King’s College and Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova S

The Montana McGregor Brothers (3 books)
  • The Rancher's Secret Love (The Montana McGregor Brothers, #2)
  • The Rancher's Proposal (The Montana McGregor Brothers, #3)

News & Interviews