Start by marking “A Study of Household Spirits of Eastern Europe (Spirits and Creatures Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:

Eastern European mythology and folklore contain a rich, colorful blend of Christian and pagan tales, customs, and rituals. Many have lost their original significance, but others are still practiced—especially in remote, rural locations.

House Spirits, the first in a series of books, will take you on a journey to discover nine fascinating house spirits you may never have h
Published December 9th 2018 by Bendideia Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Study of Household Spirits of Eastern Europe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Study of Household Spirits of Eastern Europe

Start your review of A Study of Household Spirits of Eastern Europe (Spirits and Creatures Series Book 1)
CHRISTY NICHOLAS
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adore the history of mythology, especially for a culture for which I have only a passing familiarity with already. The commonalities I find between the different mythos are fascinating and compelling. The author’s presentation of the beliefs in these Bulgarian and Slavic folklore is given in digestible and interesting bits, with illustrations, examples, dark sides and light sides of each entity. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Thomas Davis
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A huge undertaking and very informative

To collect this much folklore into one book had to require a tremendous amount of effort. I was taken with how detailed each spirit description was and how intricate the superstitions were that surrounded them. How did anyone get anything done in the old world with all of the daily rituals you had to partake in just to appease these apparitions. I enjoyed my reading of this work and I believe you will also. Or else the Kikimora will get you.
Julie Powell
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating look into the beliefs about mythical 'beings' that, although aged ideas, are still thought about even today in Eastern Europe. It also laid out how Christianity took on Pagan beliefs as their own...thus expanding the concepts of 'otherworld' and superstitions that were used to explain the unexplainable.

It seemed very well researched and thought out. Each section included 'facts' and fiction, beliefs and general knowledge, however, I really liked the stories that were set ou
P.D. Alleva
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super Cool Book

The entertaining way the author presents each myth and spirit made this book a fun read. It is a very well written compilation of myths and spirits that is also educational. I can see this book being read by teachers to their students during Halloween. Very well done!
Kayla Krantz
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie-authors, random
A fascinating study of things odd and unusual, this book reads a lot like a field guide introducing us to 9 different spirits. While I’ve studied a lot of folklore, I’ve never heard of these, and I thought the little tidbits and background information about where the tales originated made the guide that much better. Not to mention the illustrations.
William Stuart
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’ve read my blog, you know I write fantasy. As part of my research about mythical creatures, I ran across A Study of Household Spirits of Eastern Europe by Ronesa Aveela. I added it to my TBR list (one of the few non-fiction books I’ve read for pleasure). Read on for my thoughts!

Synopsis (from the author):
Book Squirrel
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
A most interesting and engaging book.

This is a fascinating compilation of stories, traditions and collected information about the spirits and supernatural beings of Eastern European and especially Slavic cultures. There is a wealth of detail, including etymologies of the names and instructions for how to appease or banish each type of spirit. Some are similar to creatures found in fairytales and fantasy stories, while others may be completely new to the reader.

The entries on each different spi
Joy Goddard
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Fantasy writers will find A Study of Household Spirits of Eastern Europe an inspirational and valuable resource when developing mythical characters. In this well-researched and well-written book, Author Ronesa Aveela relates the stories of nine unusual household spirits that are based on Eastern European folklore. Some spirits are spooky, and others merely humourous or strange. But all are fascinating. By reading her book, you’ll discover interesting snippets such as:
• If you forget to wash you
Kat Drennan
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Study of Household Spirits of Eastern Europe by Ronesa Aveela is fascinating and delightful as well as an adept, scholarly work. What I really loved about this work was the way it incorporated unique works of art with the various spirit stories. It was especially entertaining to see how the stories related to one another and can easily be translated into current cultural practices. (Elf on the Shelf comes to mind, LOL.) Interesting that the stories all seem to relate to household behaviors, su ...more
Elle Mott
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can only imagine the author must have enjoyed the research for this book as much as she enjoyed putting this book together for readers. Each chapter is chock full of info on a certain Eastern European Spirit yet broken up into well-defined parts. Moving through the pages, I became informed of how our current cultural beliefs emerged. When one reads through this book and more so, engages in it (the “Did You Know?” features, for one, as is common in her books), then any and all narrow mindedness ...more
Gordon Bickerstaff
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating insight into 'things' that go bump in the night!

Thoroughly enjoyed this book and learned a great deal about East European mythology through the richly colourful blend of folklore tales, customs, traditions, superstitions and legends, which would provide great inspiration to fantasy writers looking for scary stories. The numerous artefacts are well researched and this gives depth and credibility, which makes them so much more interesting. The narrative is supported with images, which
Maria
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love learning about mythology, folklore, and spirits from around the world. I am so glad I bought this book and I look forward to the next book of this series. Aveela’s book is an incredible treasure trove of house spirits stories. This compilation of spirits is a must for those who wish to enrich their knowledge of Eastern European house spirits. The book is richly researched and well-written. I love the amazing illustrations, intriguing photos, and fun facts. It is a fascinating read, and an ...more
B.J. Tiernan
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you love legends and mythology, A Study of Household Spirits of Eastern Europe is a great find. Not only is it interesting, fascinating and satisfying - here, you will find a repository of house spirits, good and bad. Well-researched, this collection of spirits will show you how many of our cultural beliefs have emerged. Supplemented by distinctive works of art, this well-written book promises to tease all the senses.
Sherrie Hansen
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahar
A Study of Household Spirits is a well-researched, beautifully organized and lyrically written account of the legends and mythology of Eastern Europe. The intricately descriptive language and the inclusion of art and musical references lend a very thorough, very graphic point of view that is fascinating. Whether you read the book for enjoyment, to satisfy curiosity, or to research a project, you will find the information encompassing and engrossing. Very well done, highly recommended.
Tobin B.
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author discusses mythology and spirits, using ancient and modern sources to discuss creepy and fun facts about spirits in folklore. The reader is left with enough information to decide on their own if they believe the tales are true (as many do), or simply superstitions that left people a little more cautious about things that go bump in the night. A generous amount of pictures and colored font make it an even more pleasant read.
C.A. King
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A harmless prank - "Causing rifles standing up in a corner to "dance" by themselves" - that made me laugh! The bare butt fortunes did too.

This book is great - I love learning about the paranormal!
Laurence John

• The Old Gilt Clock
  • Murder Creek
  • Tied to Deceit
  • Where Souls Entwine: Follow-Up to the Heart Won’t Let Go
  • Empty Threat (The Black Pages, #1)
  • Shadows in the Dust (Colours of the Earth Series Book 1)
  • Irma's Endgame
  • Tough Karma:  A Race Against Time
  • Blueberry Pancakes: The Novel
  • Bunny
  • Children Of The Future
  • The Dream Lures  (The Land of Good Dreams #2)
  • Trouble at Clenchers Mill
  • On A Park Bench In March
  • Here Abide Monsters
  • Innocence and Deception (Men of valour, women of steel Book 3)
  • Evil Sushi (Evil Sushi #1)
Ronesa Aveela is “the creative power of two.” Two authors that is. The main force behind the work, the creative genius, was born in Bulgaria and moved to the US in the 1990s. She grew up with stories of wild Samodivi, Kikimora, the dragons Zmey and Lamia, Baba Yaga, and much more. She’s a freelance artist and writer. She likes writing mystery romance inspired by legends and tales. In her free time ...more

News & Interviews