Start by marking “Blueback” as Want to Read:
Blueback

Blueback

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,552 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
From the author of the bestselling novel "The Riders" comes a bewitching fable sure to delight readers of all ages. A wise exploration of the difference between the acquisition of information and the quest for knowledge, Tim Winton's gem-like ecological fable will warm the hearts of his fans. Illustrations.
Published March 1st 1998 by Scribner (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Blueback, please sign up.
Katie Dora is Abels girlfriend, Abels mum that died, mad macca, the fisheries department, the bad man that steals everything and that wanted to kill…moreDora is Abels girlfriend, Abels mum that died, mad macca, the fisheries department, the bad man that steals everything and that wanted to kill Blueback, Abels dad that died and the central park.(less)
Katie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Suzanne
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A simple yet very sincere telling of a boys life attached to the ocean from babyhood to adulthood. 'We come from water' she said, 'We belong to it'. Abel is looking for the answer to the sea, and has devoted his life to finding out what this could be. What he knows for sure is that humans impact this perfect world. This text would be great for anyone from 9 years of age to 90. Tim Winton tells another story based on the ocean, a riddle of nature versus human spoiling, in his calm and steady mann ...more
Moses Kilolo
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Any one can enjoy this book, whatever their age or literary likes or dislikes. Its brief enough to be read in an afternoon, but deep and wise enough to stay with you a thousand afternoons after.

Encompassing the life of a certain Abel and a fish named Blueback, it contains important lessons about life, the sea, and conservation.

Winton Writes:

"All these years I just wanted to know about the sea. I've been everywhere, I've studied, I've given lectures, become a bigshot. But you know, my mother is
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
A lovely tribute to the beauty and power of the sea, and a powerful reminder of our responsibility to care for it.

Tim Winton must love the sea, the way he describes the feeling of being underwater and the call of the sea is mesmerising.

The story follows the life of a boy growing up beside the sea, diving with his mother he meets a huge fish which he befriends and names Blueback. Throughout his life the boy's relationship with the fish and the sea shape everything he does.

Towards the end the st
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Tim Winton is magical. Blueback is a beautiful and whimsical story of a boy and his friendship with a Blue Groper affectionately named Blueback. For those who have never seen a Blue Groper, they are incredibly majestic and can be found in a variety in coastal waters throughout Australia, including exposed reefs. Tim Winton has used Blueback as a symbol of our marine wildlife and how it's paramount to protect our coastline. Although the storyline follows Ab
Janelle
This is my first Tim Winton book, and based on my enjoyment of this novella, I'll be looking for more from him. It's a beautiful story, simple yet graceful and thought provoking. It's supposed to be a children's book, but really I think it's a book for all ages.
Sean Kennedy
Beautiful little novella that is almost like a fairytale. Winton writes so evocatively about the sea that you feel you're in there and you never want to leave.
Charlotte
Feb 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
I found this book dull, un-interesting and incredibly boring. All it was about was a boy, who's best friend was a fish {Which I think is pretty sad.}
Peri Gradisen
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Blueback by Tim Winton is a very meaningful novel, that puts across a strong message. That message is that we should all respect our environment properly. It is a very touching story that is set in a Coastal town in Australia, called Longboat Bay.

Blueback is about a boy called Abel Jackson and his mother Dora and their journeys through life and how they just happen to encounter a beautiful creature of the sea (Blueback) and fall inlove with it. Blueback captures Able's and Dora's heart and over
Dale
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: grade5-6
Story of the environment and a journey through life. Meh.
Betty
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
A pretty bland read- even for year 5's- which I guess is the target audience.
Jay
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
The intended audience for this short work is not at all clear. It is frequently listed among Winton’s adult novels, with the subtitle of “a contemporary fable”. But its plot simplicity—in addition to subplots left undeveloped--and stylistic directness and bareness seem to place it more appropriately among his works for youth.

Yet even in its simplicity, it includes many of the themes that characterize his novels and short stories. The sense of “the quest or the odyssey (Laurie Clancy),” which is
Judy
Oh what a beautiful little tale. Tim Winton you have done it again.

This little book now has a home on the top bookshelf alongside the likes of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull, as a feel good, uplifting gem of joy that can be picked up and enjoyed in a little over an hour. Guaranteed to uplift and improve your day.

It is now 2017 and I have just reread this gem for the umpteenth time. I love it more with each read. I have just handed the paper version to reading friend and had to read it again before
Kylie Purdie
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
Blueback is one of those beautiful cross over books written fro children, but with so much to offer adults as well. On the surface it's the story about a boy and a fish, while deeper down it's about respect for our environment, the importance of keeping what matters in sight and the love of family.
I listened to this in car with my kids (aged 11 and 7) and love the fact they protested every time we had to stop. Winton's writing loses none of it's eloquence when he writes for children. His descrip
Adam
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it
A pleasant and very sentimental but, alas, unexceptional novella with heavy ecological themes. The book is likely to mean the most to some young adult readers who will find the broad-strokes story inspirational. A few times during the course of the book, Winton dangles cliched plot-lines in front of the reader. But these are mere red herrings, and he soon cuts that bait and moves on to better, and less predictable, things.
Alessandra
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nonostante la brevità del libro, le 5 stelline gliele do con il cuore perché c'è qualcosa di magico in questo racconto. La prova che anche attraverso una scrittura semplice, quasi essenziale, si può emozionare. Una fiaba davvero per tutti, per leggere qualcosa di leggero ma, allo stesso tempo, per riflettere sulla natura, sulla famiglia e la vita. Davvero, davvero carino.
Ashley
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
We had to read this for school in year 5.
The catch was we had to do activities as well so that's probably why i didn't enjoy this book as much as i would've.
It was alright though and it made me sad.
 Creative Kids Tales
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Down through the centuries the Jackson family had always earned their living from the sea, from the old days of whaling and fishing, to the modern times of abalone harvesting.

Ten year-old Abel Jackson’s father had been killed by a tiger shark when he was pearl-diving in Roebuck Bay, but Abel still loved to swim and dive in the ocean. Whilst diving in Robbers Head to harvest abalone, Abel and his mother befriend an enormous blue groper, who Abel names Blueback. Enthralled by the wonderful experi
Cheyenne Blue
Blueback is a deceptively easy novella about a boy, Abel, growing up with his mother, Dora, in a hamlet on the coast of Western Australia. It's a tale about the sea, and Abel's and Dora's love for the sea, and how it permeates their lives. It's also about nature, human relationships, and ecology. Winton is always at his best when there's water involved. His prose is straightforward, without embellishment and every time he writes about the sea you can feel the water slide over your skin.

The stor
Tanja
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
A beautiful - at times magical - story, with an important message, that moved me to tears (I know, I am easily moved but still, this story might get to other readers too...)! In a coastal area in Australia, Abel and his mum lead a quiet, yet challenging life, in harmony with the environment around them. Not everyone around them agrees and so saving the sea and all its creatures becomes a lifelong battle for the two. I could imagine that this book would make a fantastic read-aloud and spark some ...more
Amy
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
An absolutely magical, perfect slice of life. I picked this up as it's part of the Penguin Australian Children's Classics series (which I adore) and even though I had not actually heard of this particular Tim Winton book before, it is so deserving as being part of this collection. It's not a typical children's book, reading more like a fairytale than anything else with it's jaw droppingly beautiful prose, even when describing tragedy and pain. I loved this dearly and know the world of Abel, Dora ...more
Lydia
This is a little fable by Tim Winton, and even though I really don't like Tim Winton, or his writing style, I liked this book.

I really don't want to go into too much detail because it's almost a novella and a children's book so to go into the plot would really spoil the story. But it's a very vivid and colourful story about a boy and a fish he names Blueback.

Winton has a really strong connection with the sea and surf culture and he has a great respect for it, and I think that's evident in this
Shadows n Secrecy
Apr 15, 2015

I need a bit of a break from intense books, since I'm in a bit of a book-hangover from Caster Chronicles. I was going to read If I Stay, but it's going to be a few days before it would be back in the library. There's been a lot of talk about Tim Winton being an amazing author, so I just thought to give one of his novels a go since it was right there in the library today.
James Ovidi
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comfort
I really enjoyed this book. Though it was a very easy read, it was filled with relatable and interesting language that as an Australian I can relate to. My mother even enjoyed it and she said "I really enjoyed the ending and thought it was sweet and touching".
Annabelle Moses
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blue back is about a 10 year old boy called Abel, who is a diver and follows in his mothers footsteps. He gets married and his wife and his daughter both are divers. His is named after his mother Dora
Kerri Green
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I guess I don't like books to lecture me so a fable isn't my style but the writing style was easy and homely in true Winton form. I can see why it makes a great student text for environmental studies.
Julie Pearce
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The term 'modern fable' is missing from this edition, which feels very modern and gorgeous with its vibrant blue papers and illustrations by Allison Colpoys. The relevance of the tale has not changed, it is focused, succinct and lovely to read.
Janita Knowles
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
The sand and salt seems to fall out from between the pages of every book Winton writes set on, in or near the ocean. For anyone who has ever grown up as a coast dwelling Australian, Winton is a writer that speaks a language you can own. It helps if you are roughly of the same generation too.
Robert Ditterich
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
What a stunning little book, and what tremendous restraint Winton has used in keeping it small. I'd love to see every 12 year old on the planet read this- or have it read to them by their grandparents.
Brian Tucker
  • Ash Road
  • Storm Boy Picture Book: Gift Book
  • Everyman's Rules for Scientific Living
  • Mandragora
Tim Winton was born in Perth, Western Australia, but moved at a young age to the small country town of Albany.

While a student at Curtin University of Technology, Winton wrote his first novel, An Open Swimmer. It went on to win The Australian/Vogel Literary Award in 1981, and launched his writing career. In fact, he wrote "the best part of three books while at university". His second book, Shallows
More about Tim Winton