Start by marking “People Are Idiots and I Can Prove It!: The 10 Ways You Are Sabotaging Yourself and How You Can Overcome Them” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  404 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
We talk a lot about the things we want.

I want more money.
I want a better relationship with my spouse.
I want good responsible kids.
I want a promotion.
I want to be healthy.
I want to be smarter.
I want to retire.
I want, I want, I want…

But do you know what people really want? They want what they�ve got. It�s a simple formula: You have what you want because your actions
Published December 30th 2008 by Gotham

To ask other readers questions about People Are Idiots and I Can Prove It!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People Are Idiots and I Can Prove It!

Gela
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yes I read this book in one night. This guy is a complete asshole. Larry is blunt, can be harsh and a bit rude... and he is completely honest (to his beliefs). While I will agree with most of what he says there are some things I don't believe completely. Larry puts things out there in a black or white tone. There's no gray areas for him that I read about. Then again he is giving pointers. I don't think he would ever use a real personal "example" or anything real terrible to set examples for his ...more
Darlene
Feb 24, 2009 rated it liked it
While this "tough love" type of self-help book had some valid points to make, there were times that Winget went beyond blunt to downright rude & obnoxious. However, that may be what is needed for some. It's worth a read for the points that are made. I promise you won't be unmoved - be it gratitude, laughter, or anger - you will feel something.
Juha
Mar 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best part of the book are the short, plain slogans such as: "A promise to try is a promise to fail", "Stress comes from knowing what is right and doing what is wrong" or "Expect the best, Be prepared for the worst, Celebrate it all!" Good reminders of a life's basic principles. Generally the book is too school book -type and simplistic, however, for my taste.
Drebbles
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Лунната мечтателка
Лари ме измъчваше с безкрайните си списъци, но все пак ми хареса колко директно може да "срита" човек в задника.
TC
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Larry Winget is NOT a your typical motivational speaker, he actually refers to himself as an "Irritational Speaker". He aims to be the kick in the ass that gets you off the couch and gets you moving in the right direction. One of his favorite quotes is "the Truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off!" He fills this book with stories about how we are all idiots from time to time, but then he shows us how we can stop being idiots and start becoming successful in our pursuits. And just ...more
Reni Ruseva
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I actually liked this book. A lot! We all have heard 'you are the person standing between you and your dreams' at least a million times in our lives. I do know that and I'm still standing on my way. Nope. I'm not moving. But when Larry says 'you are an idiot' you think 'hey, wait a minute, who were you to tell me that, who were you to tell me what to do'... but few minutes later you are realising that you really are an idiot or at least I realised it for myself and that YOU are really that 'you' ...more
Joseph Young
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Really depressed losers who need the kick in the butt to get moving
I grabbed this book hoping it would be a comedy tape, but found it to be a self-improvement audio.

Starts off interesting. The author is obviously a fairly intelligent man, but suffers from the insecurity of having to justify himself too much, probably brought upon by criticisms of the way he looks and his accent.

His style is abrasive, as warned both from the title and in the text itself. Unfortunately, he spends so much time treating you as if you are an idiot, that it becomes tiring and wearis
Loy Machedo
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
New York Times Bestselling author Larry Winget’s book, People Are Idiots and I Can Prove It!’ according to me is a book with a very distinctive and unique taste. After reading and listening to countless brain-numbing, sweet-talking, perky, polished and perfect sounding speakers Larry Winget comes across as a sincere breath of fresh air.

To be honest, his book was something I just could not put down. Right from the first page, he bashes, smashes and torches all the excuses we give to ourselves and
Cathy
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Larry Winget pertence a uma classe profissional muito conhecida nos EUA, os oradores motivacionais. Em Portugal, não existe muito essa cultura. Neste sentido, este é um livro de auto-ajuda. Não se deixem enganar pelo título, Winget vai dar-vos várias dicas em como melhorar a vossa vida em todas as áreas. Tudo o que diz não é novo, ele próprio assume que o que resulta é o que já está mais que estabelecido, pelo que a sua abordagem é mais no sentido de obrigar a pensar sobre porque é que precisamo ...more
Sarah Gracia
Let me start off by saying I did like this book. It was the first book I've read by Larry Wingmen and I enjoy his writing style. It's quick, concise, and gets to the point. However...

The whole first part of the book was repetitive and pretty much him making himself seem like a bigger a**hole just for the sake of it. He kept trying to make things he said seem offensive when they weren't. The last portion of the book was helpful when it came to his bluntness of just getting off your butt and getti
Mflorczak
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Larry Winget is an abrasive misogynist who thinks a woman is unattractive unless she's walking around in stiletto heels ruining her feet and hips just so she can look good for him.
And he dishes out advice as if he's in the ring delivering a one-two knock-out punch.
He gives great examples, like people who buy gym memberships and a) never use them and then b) drive when they could walk somewhere and get free exercise.
When I became a widow recently one of the first things I did was park my car an
Sherri
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Larry Winget is not for the faint of heart! Like he says, if you don't want to hear the cold hard facts, then don't read his book. I knew what I was getting into when I started reading, as my husband has several of his books, and we follow him through social media, etc. It's a good "kick in the seat of your pants" book if you need motivation and realization of your own potential. I like his straight-forward approach. In a society of fudging the truth, and excuse-making, it's a refreshing read.
Mtbike40
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Larry Winget is great. I absolutely love his no holds bared approach or telling you just how it is. This book makes you laugh because he hits you upside the head with the things that people do that cause them to achieve less than their full potential.

This book is a great read just to start your mind thinking about your goals and what you want to achieve in life. Larry tackles everything from finances, personal health and even tips on fashion. (ha ha)

This is a quick read, but will get you mind t
Lauren
Oct 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone needing a kick in the pants (which is probably all of us)
While Larry Winget is still at his best getting in your face, I think he tried to lump too much information into one book this time. In "You're Broke Because You Want To Be" he covers just finance. His workbook technique is great, but too much at once. It was almost as if he realized this because he says several times: this is the compact version. If you want more read my book ... I still plan on reading those books - I love his approach. Before reading any of his other books, I would suggest th ...more
Lynn
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I "read" this as an audio book. Winget is really annoying and pompous. Most of the material in the book, by his own admission, is commonsense. Nevertheless, many people, myself included, fail to act on the information. Hearing it spoken, or reading it brings it to the forefront of consciousness, making it available to act upon. Although I disliked the delivery, I appreciated being confronted with the fact that I really know what I need to do to improve the quality of my life, but fail to act on ...more
Julia Hladiy
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a perfect book that forces you to think about your life. You can spend as much time as you want, you pay just once, and it feels like a proper coaching! Some questions may be irrevelant (like, I don't have debts, so any questions about debts do not apply to me), so it's OK to skip them and focus on revelant things. Larry talks to you like a good friend or buddy not like someone better or cooller than you. I love his style of writing. And I'd like to say: THANK YOU. YOURE BOOKS ARE VALUABLE ...more
Pamela
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this book! What a unique writing style -- in-your-face but with humor and lots of common sense. He wants people to think for themselves and gives plenty of ways to get that done. I think he makes a great point and I learned quite a bit from this book. It had me looking at how my life's actions did not always match my goals. So I was saying one thing, but doing another. Yup, very interesting. I had fun journaling many of his exercises. I would recommend this book, and I will most likely r ...more
Lee
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
The direct approach for those people who need a slap upside the head. Larry writes from his experience and give direct and useful information on how not to be broke. The main message is people are broke because they want to be and until they want to make a change, they will remain broke.
If you give this book to someone to try to help them help themselves, be sure you are willing to never hear from them again. It happens.
Christina
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I do like Larry's "abrasive" approach. He is truthful and everything he says is just plain old common sense. I think he goes overboard about mentioning his other books. Good grief, just list them all at the end and be done with it.

I wish people would take more responsibility for their lives instead of blaming it on someone/something else. People who constantly whine and bitch about their lives should read this book.
Evalina Zamana
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
He is brutal and, I guess, the truth is brutal sometimes too. I adore his approach and I wouldn't mind to have a friend just like him. Most of mu friends are so polite and politically correct. I'm fat but they tell me 'you are looking great!'. I'm struggling with my English but they never correct me if I'm wrong, they always say 'your English is fine!'. Anyway, if you're looking for a change and can handle the truth - the book is for you!
Mark
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty standard personal success principles, but delivered in an in-your-face manner by a very entertaining author (he was his own reader of the audio book I "read"). As long as you are not thin-skinned or easily offended, that is.
I enjoyed his style, and was reminded of some tried and true principles.
Amy
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, health
This is about dealing with your personal health and how to stop being an idiot -- very interesting and Larry Winget is entertaining as all get out!

"Folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Sometimes a laugh is the only weapon we have." -- Roger Rabbit

Stress comes from knowing what is right and doing what is wrong.
Christiane
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked the title and I like his no nonsense style. You may not agree with everything he says (I did not) but he tells it like he sees it. I like that his advice is very action oriented and positive: you can make changes, in fact only you can make changes (you can't change your spouse, kid, best friend if they don't want to change).
Christopher Lewis Kozoriz
Now that you have a plan for what you want, you need a plan for what you are willing to give up. ~ Larry Winget

This book will help you identify how you are being an idiot, as well as how you can identify idiots in your life. Also, you will learn how to stop being an idiot and how you can eliminate idiots in your life.
Shelly
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larry Winget is a very smart man and most of society could learn allot from him. While I do not agree with his ideas completely, I respect the honesty and "in your face" reality of his mantra. Learning to take responsibility for ourselves is the only true way to change.
Misty
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
He may be blunt and rude, but so am I. I enjoyed how frankly he put things. He make you take a hard look at yourself and your actions. Another person that put what I already feel and know a lot more eloquently than I can.
Skyline
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
I listened to the audio version. This book is a kind of elaboration of his previous book ( Shut Up, Stop Whining, and Get a Life ). It adds more reasons to why people are stupid and several advices to avoid it.
Alex
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Worth reading just for looks received while reading. Has some helpful advise and offers a new way of looking at your actions. My only problem is Winget seems to make too much of a deal about being mean. Since its a short book the intro of him saying that he is not nice seemed longer than necessary.
Tammy
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Never one to mince words, Larry gets to the heart of everyone's problem - themselves making idiotic decisions. Straight forward, funny, and thought provoking. I've already made changes in my life to overcome my self-sabotaging.
  • The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-Being
  • The EFT Manual
  • Ted, White, and Blue: The Nugent Manifesto
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • Reinvention: How to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
  • The Millionaire Maker: Act, Think, and Make Money the Way the Wealthy Do
  • Co-Opetition
  • Seven Years to Seven Figures: The Fast-Track Plan to Becoming a Millionaire
  • The Ten Roads to Riches: The Ways the Wealthy Got There (and How You Can Too!)
  • Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Pu
  • Love For No Reason: 7 Steps to Creating a Life of Unconditional Love
  • The Disciplined Mind: Beyond Facts and Standardized Tests, the  K-12 Education That Every Child Deserves
  • My Orange Duffel Bag: A Journey to Radical Change
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
  • The Think Big Manifesto: Think You Can't Change Your Life (and the World?) Think Again.
  • Start Where You Are: Life Lessons in Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
Larry Winget is a motivational speaker and writer on the topics of money, personal success and business.
More about Larry Winget...