Start by marking “All That You Leave Behind: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
All That You Leave Behind: A Memoir

All That You Leave Behind: A Memoir

An acclaimed documentary filmmaker comes to terms with her larger-than-life father, the late New York Times journalist David Carr, in this fierce memoir of love, addiction, and family.

Dad: What will set you apart is not talent, but will and a certain kind of humility. A willingness to let the world show you things that you play back as you grow as an artist. Talent i
Published April 9th 2019 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about All That You Leave Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All That You Leave Behind

Book of the Month
Why I love it
by Book of the Month

Erin: I have watched you in the middle of the city with a box of your office crap and alone in a room struggling to make beautiful important things. As someone who has seen a fair amount of talented young people up close, I can say that you are in the far reaches of that bunch.

So wrote David Carr, the late New York Times columnist in an email to his daughter, the author of this heart-smart and dazzling memoir. Technically, this is Erin’s story of growing up, stru
Jennifer Bouchillon
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is not a book I normally would have chosen for myself, but I read it as an ARC, and I’m glad I did. It took me a little bit to get into it, maybe because I didn’t know either Erin or David Carr. But ultimately I found it poignant and insightful, both to the relationship between a father and daughter, and as an inside look at generational addiction.

I was inspired by the author’s honesty in sharing her fears, struggles, mistakes, regrets, and her grief. I loved that she didn’t paint herself o
Athena Rupas
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All That You Leave Behind is written by Erin Carr, the beloved New York Times columnist David Carr who passed away February 12, 2015. In this memoir, Erin Carr talks about her own struggles with addiction, which her father battled too as chronicled in his own memoir Night of the Gun. Erin's book is essentially about her relationship with her father who was also her mentor. She tells about how she faces many of the same demons (addiction) that her father did as well.

What I liked the most about th
Anthony De Rosa
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Erin's writing debut is crackling. Her words leap off the page. Punchy, to the point but without lacking details that paint a vivid picture of a chaotic life that she's managed to navigate through grit and hustle. The shadow of her legendary father looms large, a double edged sword that helped open doors but also forced her to prove her own talents, which she's done with this memoir and her exceptional documentary work. It stands on its own, but also works as a great compliment to her father's N ...more
Barbara Zeller
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A raw, honest, no punches pulled memoir. For fans of David or Erin Carr, budding journalists, grieving souls, this book is a must read. Superbly written. Could not put it down. Erin talks about how her dad mentored her into journalism, his invaluable advice and tough love. She is brutally honest about her and his struggles with alcohol, the pain it caused them both. She expertly shows the love he felt for his family and work. We are all flawed. Erin puts hers right out there. She has picked up t ...more
Jillian
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I really liked this book. I’m not big on media or movies or things like that, but still found the story compelling. It was a good tribute to her father and it was really easy to read.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Rachel Jackson
Apr 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
[In full disclosure, I received All That You Leave Behind as a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review.]

Back in my journalism days, I used to be among the masses who loved David Carr's writing. A highly renowned New York Times journalist, his columns and tweets were legendary among fellow journos, and I remember being enthralled when the documentary "Page One" came out. When I heard about his daughter Erin Lee Carr's memoir about his life and their relationship, I was curious what fu
Melanie
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Erin Carr poured utter and raw honesty and emotion in her memoir, All That You Leave Behind. I admire and respect her courage to share her tumultuous past and her intense relationship she had with her dad and family with her readers. She must have struggled as she recounted her life as she chose which parts to share, and I’m guessing she shed many a tear and experienced grief and sorrow again and again as she wrote it. I found her story beautifully told, and though I am not familiar with her or ...more
Emily Kennard
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brutally honest. Must read.
Mary Bierbaum
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

Erin Carr you are a talented courageous truthful writer. You spoke from your heart and took us on your journey in life and the magnificent relationship you had with your dad. He will always live in your heart. We MN relatives say congrats on a job well done.
Danielle
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erin Carr is the daughter of well-know New York Times columnist David Carr who died in 2015. He wrote his own memoir Night of the Gun which chronicled his battle with drug and alcohol addiction. In this memoir Carr presents her own story of addiction but it's ultimately about her relationship with David Carr as both her father and mentor and how she faces many of the same demons he did.

I read Night of the Gun when it came out and this book is a really nice companion piece to it. It was a really
Janilyn Kocher
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All That You Leave Behind is a revealing, candid memoir of Erin Carr. It's also a tribute to her father. David Carr was the one constant in her life, her mentor, both father and mother, and her sounding board. Part of the memoir relates her growing up years and her father's challenges. Carr faced similar challenges, with alcohol. Suddenly, her go to person is no longer there to guide her and she's groundless for a time. Mining all the digital forms of communication between her father and herself ...more
Stephanie
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was a really great book. It totally painted a picture for me of her life and her relationship with her father. You don't have to know who David Carr is to enjoy the memoir. I had no idea who he was going into it and I loved it. A must read for anyone who loves reading memoirs. It made me want to go out and pick up David Carr's own memoir.
justjotter
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Raw, honest, thought-provoking.

Erin Lee Carr's dad, David has had more influence on my writing life and career than anyone. When he collapsed in the NYT newsroom, I felt like a big chunk of me went with him. If someone like myself, who'd never had the pleasure of meeting him felt this gutted, one can hardly fathom how his daughter felt. Till now.

For anyone who has struggled with sudden loss, this book is. a must. It shines light on the darkest corners and leaves you with the comfort that you a
Alyssa
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it

Erin Carr is a celebrated documentary filmmaker and the daughter of the late David Carr, a well-known New York Times writer (and infamous, longtime addict) who died suddenly in the Times newsroom.

In the memoir, the younger Carr looks back on her somewhat tumultuous life with her larger-than-life father. And though she recalls some harrowing moments throughout the years when her father fell victim to his addiction, what really stands out are the moments when he was just being her dad.

And it’s cl
Emily
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
In 2015, Erin Lee Carr's father, the journalist David Carr, passed away. This book travels backward and forward in time from that point, talking about Erin's relationship with her dad, their shared struggles with substance abuse, her career and personal life, and how she coped with his death.

While this book tells a very specific story of Erin's life and the role her father played, it also tells a larger story of parents and children everywhere and how our lives weave together. As a parent and a
Jim
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won an advanced copy of this book on Goodreads. A memoir on Erin Lee Carr, daughter to New York Times journalist David Carr. Her memoir shares stories about the life and death of her father and Erin's struggles with an addiction to alcohol and drugs. This book is a candid look into her life which details the toughness trying to overcome those addictions and told in a way that would embarrass most people and that most would choose to forgot but she boldly writes about her life with no holds bar ...more
Erin
Apr 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF at page 99.

Glad I didn’t choose this as my BOTM read and opted to get it from the library instead.

Not quite sure where this memoir is going or what her point is (or if she even has one) but reading about 2 alcoholics and their problems is just so—boring? Unfulfilling? Frustrating? She was also given many privileges and opportunities, thanks to her dad's help and I felt like she was just a unappreciative whiner about a lot of it.

Not my cuppa tea, and I am always leary of memoirs for this r
Michelle Ruiz Andrews
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I sat down to read this at 9pm and didn't stop until I'd finished at 1 or 2am. Fans of the late, great NYT journalist David Carr- especially those of us who read his wild and inspiring memoir, "The Night of the Gun"- will want to dig into this memoir by his daughter, a documentary filmmaker who shares his passion for storytelling and his addiction to alcohol. Through memories and their emails and GChats, Erin dives into their joint triumphs and struggles, and the closeness of their relationship, ...more
Amy Bell
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Memoirs aren’t my go-to books to read- although when this book was one of the choices for Book of The Month I was excited to read it. I was engrossed in this book, I felt sneaky reading a book that was meant for someone else, but I couldn’t stop.

Before this book I didn’t know David Carr, nor Erin but i now feel like I know them personally. This wasn’t a book glorifying her father nor herself. It was real and raw and she portrayed real struggles with addiction and grief.
Lisa Ponti
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great travel day read. I chose this BOTM selection on a whim. It’s not the type of book I normally read but I was definitely a daddy’s little girl growing up. My father and I didn’t have quite the same type of relationship but he did die suddenly just as I was submitting my dissertation. I was in the mood for a father/daughter story and this did not disappoint. I think I might pick up David Carr’s memoir when I get a chance.
Hillary Copsey
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is about Erin Lee Carr's addiction as much as it is about her grief over her father's death and her struggle to be in the world without him. She doesn't spare herself, but she's sensitive to her stepmother and sisters -- they're here, as they must be, but in parts, only as needed -- and generous with her father, sharing his emails and texts to her. If you've read The Night Of The Gun and/or followed David Carr's career, his daughter's book is a biting, bittersweet epilogue to his story.
Ashley Kritzer
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley. “All That You Leave Behind” is a memoir by Erin Lee Carr, daughter of late NYT media columnist David Carr. As one would expect, Erin’s memoir provides insight into her father as a journalist, a recovered addict and a parent. But what I really appreciated is how well these stories are told; that’s what makes the book so readable, so intriguing.
Jay Gabler
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you Random House for the free book. You know when you read a Great Man’s book and think, I’d like to hear another side to that story? That’s exactly what you get in Erin Lee Carr’s poignant memoir about her relationships with media, alcohol, her dad David Carr, and herself. ...more
Alicia
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. Surprised me by being a page-turner. But I followed her father’s career, read his memoir and mourned his death a few years ago, so it was interesting to see this other perspective and life so closely influenced by him.
Sarah Cooper
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like the author, I, too, have made a list of cathartic non self help books to read after a parent dies. This one is close to the top now. Thanks for writing this.
Marlo Goff
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Erin Lee Carr's memoir “All That You Leave Behind.” She writes about family, addiction, recovery, and trying to keep going after tragic loss.
Candy
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Carr has to come to terms with her beloved father (and mentor)'s death... moving...
Joyce Schiff
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A tribute to her father .... loving honest and dysfunctional ...amazing fatherly advice
Amy Greenhouse
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, raw & honest memoir. As someone who has lost a parent suddenly, I could relate to her grief & some of her coping mechasisms.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Book of The Month: All That You Leave Behind 1 7 Mar 31, 2019 05:48AM
  • 25 Chapters of My Life
  • Brady, Brady, Brady: The Complete Story of The Brady Bunch as Told by the Father/Son Team who Really Know
  • Two's Company: A Fifty-Year Romance with Lessons Learned in Love, Life & Business
  • Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir
  • Starting with Goodbye: A Daughter's Memoir of Love after Loss
  • Leaving Shangrila: The True Story of a Girl, Her Transformation and Her Eventual Escape
  • Crave: A Memoir of Food and Longing
  • Flunk. Start.: Reclaiming My Decade Lost in Scientology
  • The Death of an Heir: Adolph Coors III and the Murder That Rocked an American Brewing Dynasty
  • Last Waltz in Vienna
  • Nourished: A Memoir of Food, Faith & Enduring Love (with Recipes)
  • Magic Is Dead: My Journey into the World's Most Secretive Society of Magicians
  • Diane von Furstenberg: A Life Unwrapped