Start by marking “Running to the Edge: A Band of Misfits and the Guru Who Unlocked the Secrets of Speed” as Want to Read:

"Gripping . . . the narrative is smooth and immediate, almost effortless in its detail, if occasionally breathless, like a good fast run . . ." --The New York Times Book Review

Visionary American running coach Bob Larsen assembled a mismatched team of elite California runners . . . the start of his decades-long quest for championships, Olympic glory, and pursuit of "the ep
Published June 4th 2019 by Doubleday Books

Start your review of Running to the Edge: A Band of Misfits and the Guru Who Unlocked the Secrets of Speed
John Spiller
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a frustrating read for me. The book had the potential for greatness. Futterman examines what it takes to be a great distance runner, why American distance runners were successful in the 1970's, declined to a nadir by the early 2000's, and are now enjoying a renaissance. He uses running coach Bob Larsen as the starting point for his narrative arc. The problem is that Futterman basically rehashes a bunch of material from other running books, sort of like a mixtape. There's bits and pieces ...more
Ron S
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running, olympics
Drawing a direct line from coaching high school students to Olympic medalists and Boston Marathon winners, NYT sports editor Matthew Futterman tells the story of coach Bob Larsen and his efforts to unlock the secrets of running far fast. Thanks to a deft, fast-paced writing style and especially great characterizations that bring unheralded high schoolers to life just as vividly as national champions, this is the best book on running since Christopher McDougall's Born to Run. While the subject ma ...more
Wendy
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this exploration of coach Bob Larsen's training methods. So well written, it reads like a novel. My only quibble (and it's a minor one) is the author's own story interspersed throughout the book. Fortunately, those sections are short and don't distract much from the rest of the book, which is really interesting.

My full review: http://bit.ly/2JEZzcA
Nate Hawthorne
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I will give it a 4, but probably a 3.5 for most people. This book is much like a history of coaching running. It goes into enough detail on training that most runners will be intrigued while non-runners will be bored. The cast of characters is vast and motley.

The truths shared about running are self assuring for me. But I am a runner. I am not sure this book would be appreciated by a non-runner. So, in that way, it has almost too narrow a scope, unlike some other running narratives I have read.
Lance
This book was all over the map for me. I immensely enjoyed the sections on the Toads and their young runners. Had the book been just about them and coach Bob Larson, it would have been a five star read. But the sections where the author inserted himself were not adding to the story. It’s still okay for running enthusiasts but unless the reader is invested heavily in the sport, this isn’t one that he or she would enjoy.
David
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
weirdly [IMO], the subtitle is different on the book itself and in the tiny picture you can see on goodreads vs. the alleged goodreads title. A mystery someone else will have to investigate I guess.

As to the book itself, kind of an odd amalgamation of topics -- He intersperses brief scenes from his own career as an above-average but not outstanding runner with three major stories:

(a) the formation of the Jamul Toads team in and around San Diego in the mid-1970s
(b) the Mammoth Lakes training grou
Audrey
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was WONDERFUL, perhaps my new favorite nonfiction running book of all time. It weaves the tale of Bob Larsen, coach, with tales of his athletes ranging from a group of misfits in southern California in the 70s to Meb Keflezghi, while also incorporating short essays on the author's experiences with running. I got chills several times. Feeling very lucky to have randomly encountered it on the "new releases" library shelf the week before a marathon! ...more
Kayla
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a very enjoyable book to read. I like reading about running coaches and athletes back in the day. This book focused on Coach Bob Larson (based in San Diego) and his running career and then his coaching career. It was really neat to see how he recruited Meb Keflezighi for UCLA and ended up working with Coach Joe Vigil and Deena Kastor in the 2000s. This book goes hand in hand with Deena Kastor's book Let Your Mind Run.

I have never been a fan of Nike. This book sheds even more light on t
Kelly Murley
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book even if you are not a runner!
Csimplot Simplot
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!
Terzah
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: running-books
These days, I feel like someone who used to be a runner. My current outings are huff-and-puff fests, even the easy ones, and I haven't had a decent race since late 2016. "So are you still running?" people ask me, and I wonder if I look *that* bad now. While I know that running's health benefits have little to do with whether I look like a runner or am my version of fast, leanness and speed are nice side effects, and seeing them disappear, and not knowing why, has been tough.

Enter this book. I wa
Katie
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very engrossing sports memoir about Bob Larsen, a running coach who came from, well, nowhere, and just decided he was passionate about coaching runners so he did it. He started out with a ragtag group of hippies in San Diego way back before running recreationally was a thing. He went on to coach track & field at UCLA, and the star American runners Deena Kastor and Meb Keflezighi.

This book shines in the way many good sports memoirs shine... you are on the edge of your seat reading it (even if you
Ron Christiansen
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great read for current or past (me) runners. Sadly I didn't follow nor was even really aware of Bob Larsen the undaunted coach who believed American distance running could be improved through better training techniques. First Larsen finds a middle ground between two different traditions of training: long 100 mile weeks with little intensity or track work to avoid injury; and, in contrast, lots--and mean lots--of track work like 30 400s at a times. As in the title, Larsen moves his runners off ...more
Oliver
Feb 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Even tho I love running this book was hard to read. The way it was structured n the many characters (and stories) it involved made it almost impossible to read with full enjoyment.

The author should have kept the story to Bob Larsen and the Jamul Toads. This part (of the book) was somewhat entertaining.

Can not recommend to anyone unless you are a die hard running fan.
Felicity
I would recommend this book to any runner. It can help with your perspective on running. I rate this book a 8/10.
Maddy Evans
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this and learned a lot but could have done without the first person Futterman scattered throughout - didn’t really work for me. Regardless, still giving 4 stars because if you take away those vignettes this was a very enjoyable read. Love sports writing where, even when you know the outcome, the buildup to the finish has you second-guessing.
Keith Sherwood
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story for runners and non-runners. Uplifting, educating, and inspiring. I loved this book from start to finish.
Walter
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running
This book has it all, and it deserves to be made into a docuseries or a movie: Netflix, get on it! I'm so tired of people asking me if I've seen the "Barkleys Marathon Documentary" already?!? Anyways...

The scene is the nascent U.S. running culture, starring Coach Bob Larsen and his crew of rag-tag running renegades. This was a time when running was simpler: when swoosh-laden, ultra-light, hyper reverse-osmosis energy efficient space-age soles with A.I. enabled moisture evaporating carbon-fiber l
Craig
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running-books
All I can say is if you like to read about running, you will live this book.
Curt
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book.
John
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, wonderful... wonderful! If you are a runner or are just interested in running you should read this book. It is beautifully written, very engaging, and wildly informative. Highly recommended.
William Thompson
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A Runner’s World-esque feel-good piece that was about 100 pages longer than necessary. Bob Larsen comes across a great coach, but this book comes across as average. Try Kenny Moore’s Bowerman and the Men of Oregon for a more elite look at high level athletes and their coaches.
Zeke Morgan
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This would have been twice as good if it was half as long. The first half of the book was engaging and fun, a great underdog story intertwined with the emerging science of distance running. Futterman loses track by incorporating himself into the narrative (qualifying for Boston, while a great personal achievement, is totally irrelevant to Bob Larsen’s story) and writing a rushed second half all about Meb. Overly romanticized at times, Futterman does little to highlight how much it hurts to be an ...more
Suhail Qureshi
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Didn’t like the disjointed structure of book.
John Pettey
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it.
Well written and brought me back to times gone by with coach ruckert and running high school cross country and track.
Russ
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good history regarding some of the personalities behind the resurgence of American distance running in recent years.
Dana
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Futterman's style is repetitive and becomes tedious, but it's an interesting story about an overlooked part of America's running history. Enjoyable. ...more
T. Sullivan
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really interesting book, I found a few discrepancies, but more on that later. I greatly enjoyed reading about The Jamul Toads, a tough-minded/blue collar running club from San Diego, that rose to national prominence through hard training.

I loved the back story on each of the athletes, their family backgrounds, where they lived, how they trained, and why they became runners. I'm most familar with Thom Hunt, glad to find out about the other guys.

I also marveled at coach Bob Larsen, whom I was fami
Nicholas Mills
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, own, physical, sports
Being a runner is not a requirement if you want to read this book, but you have to like or be interested in running.

It’s a fairly detailed account of a legendary running coach, Bob Larsen. As such, it’s a deep dive into the world of running in the 60’s and 70’s, up through to where we are now.

But it also has stories of remarkable human capabilities. The stories are inspiring, and demonstrate an individual’s capacity to push the bounds of what we consider possible. The end chapters follow Meb Kef
Dana Larose
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: running, nonfiction, 2019
I enjoyed it since I almost always enjoy stories about runners and the history of distance writing. Futterman spins a good tale and a good writer, even if he massively overused the phrase "running to the edge" through out the book.

It's a story of an American coach who early on figures out that long, difficult tempo runs are the key to distance running success. This is in an era when most running plans are just doing a bunch of fast intervals. It didn't even sound like easy runs through the neigh
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Running the Dream: One Summer Living, Training, and Racing with a Team of World-Class Runners Half My Age
  • 26 Marathons: What I've Learned About Faith, Identity, Running, and Life From Each Marathon I've Run
  • The Rise of the Ultra Runners: A Journey to the Edge of Human Endurance
  • Let Your Mind Run: A Memoir of Thinking My Way to Victory
  • The Way of the Runner: A Journey into the Fabled World of Japanese Running
  • Win at All Costs: Inside Nike Running and Its Culture of Deception
  • Life Is a Marathon: A Memoir of Love and Endurance
  • Run to the Finish: The Everyday Runner's Guide to Avoiding Injury, Ignoring the Clock, and Loving the Run
  • The Perfect Mile: Three Athletes, One Goal, and Less Than Four Minutes to Achieve It
  • Running Home
  • Broken Open: Mountains, Demons, Treadmills And a Search for Nirvana
  • Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance
  • Above the Clouds: How I Carved My Own Path to the Top of the World
  • Running with Sherman
  • Run the Mile You're In: Finding God in Every Step
  • North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail
  • Amazing Racers: The Story of America's Greatest Running Team and its Revolutionary Coach
  • How Bad Do You Want It?: Mastering the Psychology of Mind Over Muscle