Start by marking “Ten Seconds” as Want to Read:
Ten Seconds

Ten Seconds

The ten loosely interconnected stories in this collection (nine flash fiction and one short story) focus on small moments of everyday life. Overall, the book tries to present, metaphorically, a human life, from birth to death.

[Flash Fiction: fictional work of extreme brevity (up to 1000 words) that still offers character and plot development; also known as microfiction, su
Published August 27th 2018 by Lulu

To ask other readers questions about Ten Seconds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Seconds

Start your review of Ten Seconds
Peter
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Endurance
Ten Seconds is a collection of ten Flash Fiction and Short Stories that grab moments of life that have meaning and emotional pull. The stories start at an occurrence of birth, then journey through episodes of flash memories as a child, a teenager, an adult, married, in a career and end with the finality of death. The stories exhibit a pervading sense of loss and loneliness, even the birth story tells of losing the safety of the womb to a world where:
“The bright light almost blinds
Dana Ilie
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***** ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

This Romanian guy writes in English better than some few English native authors, and not just that, is fluent in street talk and the whole thing sounds so good.
The short stories are very well written, too short for my taste, but Lucian has potential. If he could captured details in short stories you can imagine how good it will be when he will write a book.
Is been too long since I've read a brilliant work from a Romanian a
Peter
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
At first I want to thank the author for the review copy of this book We have ten classic short stories here that form a circle of life. 'Onset' starts with the pains of birth, 'Big Brother' documents the carefreeness of youth, 'Bad Strategy', a bit too long winded, shows how a bullied boy finds fulfilment in a brutal shooter game; then we came to my first favourite, 'A Day Like Any Other' about the loss of a beloved cat who always lived in the house with Karen, 'Ten Seconds' is about taking chan ...more
Maria Espadinha
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life in Cartoons

I felt these flash fiction stories as a sequence of life cartoons:

In the first one, you’ll picture yourself in the safety of the womb. All sorts of sounds and noises come to you, but everything is in a blur. You’re safe and sheltered, and nothing truly affects you. This valuable feeling of protection will remain with you as long as you live, to pull you out of a storm, every time you feel overwhelmed by uncontrollable events.

In the next cartoon you’re already a kid and your par
Matt
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Lucian Lupescu
First and foremost, a large thank you to Lucian Lupescu for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

I was recently asked if I would read and review a collection of flash fiction stories by Lucian Lupescu. This collection proved to be unique, not only for the length of the short pieces, but also for the collected thread that runs through the writing, while keeping each independent in their own right. Lupescu tells a collection ten sho
Dora Koutsoukou
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 👏🤩😮👏🌟✨s

I was among the readers who were asked by the author for an honest pov, regarding Ten Seconds. Although this genre doesn’t belong to my reading preferences, I couldn’t deny, due to his polite and kind request.

Lucian Lupescu composed ten short stories regarding scenes from everyday life, from conception to demise. I was impressed of his use of english language, while it is not his native. He delivered many emotions and depth in those small stories, with an unfussy writing having as a ta
Briar's Reviews
Ten Seconds by Lucian Lupescu is a delightful little pack of flash fiction to fulfill your TBR shelf.

I needed something soft yet brilliant to read, and this just fit the bill. I didn't want tons of commitment, I didn't want something that would make my brain hurt or make me anxious with the world going into apocalypse mode. Lucky for me, Lucian Lupescu crafted a lovely collection of flash fiction that took my brain off of all the insanity going on in the world right now. Thank you, seriously.

Eac
Khurram
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A collection of short stories about different aspects of life. The effects of debt on a family, to a bullied boy, repressed in the real world finding an escape in cyberspace.

All the stories were good as far as they go I would be interested to see how the author writes longer stories with character development.

A good quick read, worth looking through, and interesting to see what could come next.
Alla
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting and surprising read.
It´s the first microfiction or micro-story type of book that I´ve read.
The stories are pretty good, straight to the point and interesting and the author´s English is very good, considering that (I think) he´s not a native English.
I would definitely read more of that kind of work, it was very enjoyable.
Paul Sánchez Keighley
Life is a blur. Moments become memories that become flashes and before you know it you’re old or dead. Flash fiction is a genre well-suited for tackling life as a series of recollections. Each story is calibrated to carry as much emotional punch as their constricted length allows.

This very short book consists of nine flash fictions and one short story. The flash fictions roll into one another with the cumulative effect of a cinematic montage. The significantly insignificant moments in the lives
Bookread2day
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Ten Seconds are 10 short stories, with different topics like for example a Birthday short story and a Perfect Marriage short story plus a short story about Ten Seconds, with many other wonderful short stories. This book is absolutely ideal for anyone who can't read long books and an interesting short book for many readers that just love reading all types of books. I think that this short book would be a good source to discuss at book clubs. ...more
Alice Capoti
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great surprise to read a Romanian author who's writing so well in English. What I love about the short stories is that every word is precious. Lucian is very good at it, he gives a well controlled dose of surprise and bitterness, he has a calm and natural voice to tell the stories - thats quite a rare quality for the Romanian writers today. I really enjoyed it and warmly recommend it. ...more
Lucian Lupescu
Feb 25, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: flash-fiction
I've answered some questions about my book here: https://asynonymforrambling.wordpress... ...more
Julie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, thank you to the author Lucian, for giving me a review copy of the book.
I have never read Flash fiction before, and this was a great book to get my eyes open for the genre.
I was so caught up in every single story, it had so much feeling and so much emotion, which for me is very impressive when the stories are so short.
The short story, however, was my favorite. I really loved 'Bad strategy' I found it so honest and real, and very emotional to read.
I would definitely recommend th
Gabriela Rusu
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lucian is a keen observer of the human condition with much passion for details. In every short story he spends "ten seconds" with his characters giving the possibility to the reader to do as well. I found the 1st and the last chapter very inspiring as metaphors of the beginning and the end of life and why not of a writer and his book! Well done, Lucian! I truly enjoyed your book and hope that you will continue writing. ...more
Eddie Watkins
The concept behind this collection is ambitious and heartfelt: to portray in sequence the course of life from birth to death through various moments, mundane yet intense, that end up defining that life. Though there is a poignancy to many of these moments, all of which involve either miscommunication, mixed messages, things left unsaid, and a general isolation and sadness; the abiding poignancy for me as a reader, was to see sincere heartfelt intentions and feelings of the author fall short due ...more
Catalina Soare
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I should start by saying that I rarely read short stories. And I enjoyed Lucian’s stories to the point I would have liked to read more :) A warm voice, very considerate with the words, a background for the stories that is somewhat familiar, but not from the “local” reality, rather from American TV series. I think there’ s good potential to add more nuances and flavors to these stories and I’m looking forward for more.
Grady
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It only takes a moment – savoring the mysteries of being

Romanian author Lucian Lupescu is a freelance translator, providing his services in English, French, Italian and Romanian. He is a proponent of flash fiction and uses that propinquity in this fine book TEN SECONDS. His other published book, IMPROVING ANKLE AND KNEE JOINT STABILITY, suggests his spectrum of interests is broad.

Ten shared moments – most in flash fiction format but adding one short story – opens a portal for contemporary times:
Esther Fanny
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got this book from the author as an exchange for a fair review. So here we go! this book basically was sort of short stories and written quite well. the plots were also what happened in our daily life with similar characters.

I would like to score it five stars if it's not its short stories. I mean, the written was well, the plots were similar with our daily basis, so I hope the Author would considerate to develop these short stories into a whole book for each story.

One of my Favorite was the
Mehreen Ahmed
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucian Lupescu's Ten Seconds, is a beautifully written TEN flash fiction. This collection is not themed, so every new story will surprise the reader with its unique, and thought-provoking issues. My personal favourite was A Day Like Any Other, which is about the loss of a cat. Losing a pet can have profound affect on its owner. I lost my dog at grade one, and I know from experience that it is unforgettable. Other stories are also equally affective, and memorable with surrealistic undertones. Wel ...more
Ray Zimmerman
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-fiction
These stories reside in a nexus of conflict where hopeful humanity meets harsh reality. Neither is prepared to yield.
Soňa
Apr 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
Copy received directly from Lucian himself in exchange for honest review. ...more
Timothy
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
First of all I wish Goodreads had a 3.5 rating. My three seems too low, but a four seemed too high. I guess I went with the three rating because of length, and because of my disappointment of wanting to read more of the author's work.

This is why I felt this: In the realm of flash fiction Lucian does very well on the narrative end of the genre, the ability to reduce a short story into a very short story while successfully maintaining a plot--and motivations. If the book was, say, thirty seconds
Robin Morgan
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own-books
I won a Mobi.file copy of this book from the author through a recent giveaway he had on LibraryThing, and the following is my honest opinion.

Those of you who have read my reviews know that I’m a rather voracious book reviewer and in addition to this I’m also an author who has written a book containing Flash Fictions, the majority are only 5 sentences long, so I can appreciate the effort it takes to write short stories like the ten stories the author has included in the pages of this book.

These s
Jim
The author provided a copy of this book in exchange for a review.

Ten loosely connected micro-fictions, leading us from the delivery room, through youth, middle age, old age, and our final moments. Lucian gives us some tender feelings of an unpopular child, an unhappy marriage, the drudgery of the working world, and the loneliness of le troisième âge. Throughout, the uneasiness and pains of existence are balanced with a glimmer of hope for better times.

These stories show promise, but to be fair,
Ana Sauvage
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Before I start the review, I want to confess that Lucian Lupescu has a style characterized by simplicity, fluency, empathy and descriptions that convey the reader instead of the characters for this. It is worth to congratulate him. Perfectly crafted personalities, stories stamped with details, who ventures into expression, the only reproach that they can bring is the renunciation of quantity. If you want to relax in an insipid evening, I recommend Ten Seconds.
Rachel Foley
I received this book through the LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

This book received three out of five stars for me. It was enjoyable, but not my favorite piece. I thought that some of the stories were hard to follow and felt out of place.

However, I enjoyed most of them. My favorite was “Perfect Marraige.” The tension of two people, utterly dissatisfied yet unwilling to speak out about it, felt all too real and left a lasting impression on me.
Glen Hepker
Oct 26, 2019
Emily B
Oct 19, 2019
Vlad Ionescu
Jan 13, 2019

• Vampire Knight, Vol. 4 (Vampire Knight, #4)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 5 (Vampire Knight, #5)
  • ヴァンパイア騎士 6 (Vampire Knight, #6)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 3 (Vampire Knight, #3)
  • ヴァンパイア騎士 7 (Vampire Knight, #7)
  • ヴァンパイア騎士 8 (Vampire Knight, #8)
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 9 (Vampire Knight, #9)
  • A Story about Afiya
  • The Dark and Other Love Stories
  • Boston Metaphysical Society: The Complete Series
  • Free Comic Book Day 2010: Archie's Summer Splash (Free Comic Book Day: Archie)
  • The Very Last Leaf
  • Play Dead (Hart and Soul #2)
  • A Very Scalzi Christmas
  • Dog Mom: A Love Story
  • At Mother's Command
  • 100+ Knock Knock Jokes for Kids
  • GEO
Lucian Lupescu is an English/French/Italian/Romanian freelance translator since 2008. He did some independent forensic linguistics research, after studying with Dr. John Olsson. Sometimes he writes fiction. Bylines in "Philosophy Now" and "Translation Journal." Blog: https://asynonymforrambling.wordpress... ...more

News & Interviews