Start by marking “Our Life in a Day” as Want to Read:
Our Life in a Day

Our Life in a Day

Our Life in a Day is a breathtaking, ten-year love story told in twenty-four individual hours - for fans of One Day by David Nicholls, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, and The Note by Zoe Folbigg.

The rules are simple. Choose the most significant moments from your relationship - one for each hour in the day.
You'd probably pick when you first met, right?
Published April 18th 2019 by Orion (first published December 27th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Our Life in a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Life in a Day

Start your review of Our Life in a Day
Brandice
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I first started Our Life in a Day, it was good, holding my interest as I continued to read, but I just wasn’t sure where it was heading. As I kept reading, I started to predict the direction the story was taking - sometimes I was right and sometimes I was wrong - but it didn’t really matter, I was hooked!

In 2007, Tom and Esme meet at a party. Tom is interested in Esme, despite warnings from his best friend not to pursue her, being told she is too good for him. Of course, he goes for her
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
What is it about this novel and these two people that made me read straight through, despite its length, without once feeling a drag in plot or character? I found it compulsively readable, believable. Even though not much happens outside the connection between these two people their portrayals are so vivid, I found it hard to break away, and the dialogue snaps off the page.

I thoroughly enjoyed this well-written, page-turning, entertaining book. It is both a light and deep character study of two
Lainy
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 304

Publisher - Orion

Source - Review copy

Blurb from Goodreads

You'd probably pick when you first met, right?
And the instant you knew for
Joanne Robertson
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
To be honest I’m struggling to know what to say about this stunning book! It’s just so beautifully written with such raw emotions that it’s one that will stay with me for sometime. And shockingly it’s a debut novel! Also, I have to applaud Jamie Fewery for writing about men’s mental health issues within a book that spotlights the relationship of one couple in a unique and meaningful way.

It may sound like a sweet and innocent game that Esme has devised for their anniversary meal but it’s going to
Jenna Morrison
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, netgalley
I think what I enjoyed most about this book is it’s honesty. Tom and Esme’s life is far from perfect, and the game Esme has devised for their 10 year anniversary gives an insight into the ups and downs over the years.

The book is told from Tom’s pov, and in the beginning he seems quite a weak character. However, the more we delve into his past the more we learn about why he is the way he is. I think the book highlights mental health issues, in men especially, really well.

Reading this book you
Shelley
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Our Life in a Day was a unique, refreshing love story. I may be in the minority, but I’m not the type of reader who needs the happily ever after in fiction. I am always drawn to books that have the ability to pull the good, the bad, and the ugly from real life and provide a realistic, honest view of a relationship.

I was invested in Tom and Esme’s relationship right from the very beginning of the book. I wanted to discover the pivotal moments of their relationship, not just the good times, but
booksofallkinds
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I voluntarily reviewed this book from Netgalley.

OUR LIFE IN A DAY by Jamie Fewery is a beautiful and heartbreaking story about a relationship in all of its wonder and despair, and this story left me with tears running down my face.

Esme and Tom have been together for ten years and on their anniversary Esme comes up with a game where they write down their most important memories of their relationship for every hour in one day - 24 memories that sum them up. But like all games sometimes things do
Anne
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the face of it, I’ll admit that this didn’t look like book I’d enjoy – the unusual structure driven by the game and the pile of post-it notes, the hours selected for their significance to Tom and Esme’s relationship, the focus on alcohol and male mental health. And have I ever mentioned how I just didn’t get on with David Nicholls’ One Day? I couldn’t help thinking that I’d probably feel the same about this book, as I picked it up with a sigh, prepared to try to find some positives to include ...more
Joanna Park
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I so enjoyed this book! Our Life In A Day is a charming but heartbreaking read which is made even more so by how realistic the story is.

The story follows Esme and Tom as they talk about their relationship in a very frank and honest way. This is what stood out for me most about this book as too often relationships in books are all very romantic and wonderful, so it was great to read about a real relationship, warts and all. Some of the arguments that the couple have are ones that I’ve had with my
Abantika(hiltonjenkin)
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our Life In A Day, is not much about the events but is more about the emotions playing out. It’s about the little things that brings us close and the things that take us afar from our loved ones. This book is an experience itself. You need to introspect and re-live a 10 year long relationship in 24 hours along with Tom and Esme. This book is about the FEELS.

It is all consuming. An emotional cracker. There is so much love, tenderness and heartache in it’s pages. Our Life in a Day’s take on
Karen
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To celebrate their tenth anniversary, Tom and Esme are planning a mini break away but on the eve before they go, Esme presents Tom with a game – a stack of Post-its with a time noted on them and a drawing of a clock.

He has to pick the most significant moments from their relationship for each hour of a day, but over different years. This is how we see their relationship from his perspective from the moment he and Esme first met at a party in 2007.

Tom and Esme’s relationship wasn’t all hearts and
Karschtl
This is the story of Tom & Esme told by looking back at their 24 most significan moments. "Not the best moments, she had been careful to write in her rules. The most significant." And that is exactly what you get here. It's not a book full of the two getting all lovey-dovey. Instead it presents us with a way more realistic view on relationships than most other chick-lit books. Because we all know how easily an argument can start, or that not all days during a 10-year-relationship can be ...more
V_Nerdbooks
Tom and Esme have been together for 10 years, for their anniversary Esme decides that they will play a game, the rules are simple, for every hour of the day, they must write down and remember their most significant memories, not the best moments, but the most significant, 1 memory for every hour of the day, for 24 hours.

I’d like to say that this was filled with hearts and flowers and fluffy unicorns, but alas is it a real look on love, not the love portrayed in books and movies.

We go back to the
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019

I had seen a few reviews where other reviewers had said that tears had fallen when reading this. So about 80% in I was feeling quite cocky, I normally cry at everything and nothing was happening yet…….Well! I got to a point in the book and it just started to break me, and it was not until the final chapter that I finally stopped. I could read the epilogue ok, but after I finished reading, my tears started up again.

This story reminds me of all the films that I love to watch because I know I will
Gaby (GNTxREADs)
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read, 2019
This is a truly beautiful way to explore a romantic relationship between two people. The 'game' is so cleverly set out in that each chapter represents one hour from their lives together in the past 10 years. In this way we learn and discover more about Tom and Esme as their love flourishes.

It is so heartwarming to share not only their highs, but also their lows. To see how they overcome conflict in their relationship and the lasting effects of bandaging up these cracks. We begin to get to know
Shelby
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
On their 10th anniversary, Esme and Tom create a game where they reflect upon the past 10 years together. For each hour of the day, they’ll choose a significant moment from their relationship—adding up to 24 moments that define them over the last 10 years.

So we go back to the beginning. Back to when Esme and Tom first met. A moment of kismet at a mutual friend’s costume party. We see the very best and the very worst parts of their relationship. Their relationship is a rollercoaster of emotions,
Konnie
I picked this book because it was compared to "One Day' by David Nicholls, one of my all-time favorite books. However, I don't feel the comparison is accurate. I didn't get the same feeling while reading this book as I did with 'One Day'.

I did enjoy the writing, but I found the format in which it was written was a bit unnecessary and confusing. I also did not like the ending as much although I can see how it can be a realistic ending. I feel the ending was somewhat of a letdown and perhaps not
Miriam
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At last a love story that's realistic and deals with all the issues of being in a real relationship. I wasn't to keen on Tom's character at the start as he was definitely not the stronger part of the couple and I felt that he gave into Esme for a quiet life. It wasn't until his back story came to light that I saw him as being equally as committed to their future. It's a clever style of writing and I would like to thank the publishers and netgalley for letting me have the book in advance to ...more
Jo
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Oh my heart. I absolutely loved this book. It's a story about love, about our mental health and of how we need to be true to each other, but more importantly, true to who we are. It's a thought provoking read that l just simply adored it's a beautiful story.

Esme and Tom are about to celebrate their ten year anniversary together. Tom arrives home from work to find Esme wanting to play a game of remembrance. She has a stack of post it notes, and on each is written one hour of the day. They both
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was completely different to what I expected based on the blurb, but although I`d thought it would be a straight up romance I ended up really enjoying it for what it really is, and not being disappointed at all. It`s extremely hard to explain without giving it all away, so it`s a really interesting contemporary that charts 24 important moments in the relationship of Tom and Esme, which explores mental health. It`s very raw in places, and some sections were heart-breaking. I think it was ...more
The Glass House Online Magazine
Heartbreaking, Raw and Real

I have always been a great believer in the idea that the universe gives us things and people when we need them the most. Situations are drawn towards us when we need to learn lessons and friends are brought into our lives when we most need a particular personality to help us through tough times. I also believe there are certain books that are put into your lap for a reason. Certain authors, you are drawn towards to help teach you a lesson or learn from their stories.

Karen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I don't know why I thought this was going to be a cute story with cute little bits. It wasn't. Maybe the "game" concept threw me off from the beginning and I had expectations that it would be light and sweet.

So I think it's important to make it clear that this is not a light book. In fact, I'd say the opposite, there are several heavy subject matter in these pages. I want to give trigger warnings but I can't really do it without giving away some of the plot so I will refrain. Just
Janice
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the early 90’s there was this really popular American sitcom starring Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser, that I really loved, called Mad About You. For some reason, Our Life in a Day reminded me of that!

Tom and Esme are your average “noughties” couple. They meet at a party, get to know each other, and their relationship progresses as these things do. And then … on the 10th anniversary of the day they met, Esme proposes that they play a game of her own creation. She presents Tom with 24 Post-It notes
Agi
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases, 2019

On their 10th anniversary, Esme has created a game for Tom - for each hour of the day he should choose a significant moment from their relationship, so altogether there should be 24 of them, no matter if they're happy or sad - but they must be important. So Tom, albeit reluctantly, goes back as far as 2007 where they met at the party and together with him we see the best and worst part of their relationship.
The moments Tom has chosen are not listed in a particular chronological order, and maybe
Juliet Bookliterati
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Our Life in a Day is the debut novel from Jamie Fewery, and the story of Tom and Esme. The night before they are due to go away for their anniversary Esme challenges Tom to pick important moments from their relationship that relate to each hour of the day. The book takes us on the journey of their relationship, the good and the bad, as we are voyeurs to their most private moments. This is such a beautiful book, in regard to the writing and the plot line, and was such a pleasure to read.

What I
Mary Picken
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It isn’t all that common to find a book that genuinely captures a relationship; it’s rarer than hen’s teeth for that book to be written by a man and from a male perspective. In Our Life in a Day, Jamie Fewery smashes it out of the park.

In an emotionally honest debut, Fewery captures beautifully all the lies we tell ourselves as we strive to be the person we think our other half wants us to be, without ever really showing who we are. Here is self-doubt; feelings of not being worthy and fear of
Linda Hill
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Tom’s best friend Annabel pushes him into chatting to Esme at a fancy dress party the consequences will reverberate throughout the next decade.

This is going to be one of those reviews that is difficult to write without including spoilers so I’ll state unequivocally that I absolutely adored Our Life In A Day and cannot recommend it highly enough.

There are so many aspects that make Our Life In A Day a poignant, touching and emotional read. The themes Jamie Fewery includes are devastatingly
Neats
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Our Life in a Day is the story of Tom and Esme who are going to be celebrating their ten year anniversary. Esme is always making up games for the couple to play and this time it involves them choosing memorable moments from their lives together but not necessarily just the happy times.

Tom and Esme meet at a party and right from that night Esme has made it clear that she values honesty but can Tom be totally honest with Esme?

Our Life in a Day is a story about the relationship between two people
Nicola Smith
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our Life in a Day has an interesting premise. Tom Murray's girlfriend of ten years, Esme Simon, has come up with a game for him for their anniversary. This is not that unusual. This time the game is to pick the standout moments from their relationship for each hour of a day but from different years. So it might be 4-5am from 2007, 10-11pm from 2015 for instance. You get the idea, right? It forces Tom to look back and dissect their time together, particularly as this is not about picking all the ...more
Candice
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Orion and NetGalley for the advanced copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

What is there to say other than this book is a gorgeously done, emotional rollercoaster that absolutely crushed me right in the heart. I devoured this story in one very fast sitting, as I fell in love with Tom and Esme and their love story.

I completely adore stories that let you really connect with the characters, and Jamie Fewery did amazing work of creating very human, broken, flawed characters who are

• The First Time I Saw You