Start by marking “The Ocean Between Us (Southern Heroes, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ocean Between Us (Southern Heroes, #1)

The Ocean Between Us

(Southern Heroes #1)

From International Bestseller Michelle Heard comes a stand-alone, Suspense Romance.

Dying to experience life, I cross an ocean to get away from my fears. I find my safe haven in the form of Detective Aiden Holden.

He shows me what love is, but then our lives collide. Our little world shatters, and I'm caught in the crossfire.

I'm forced to return home, to let go of the only p
Published September 16th 2018 by MA Heard (first published October 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Ocean Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ocean Between Us

Start your review of The Ocean Between Us (Southern Heroes, #1)
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MY REVIEW: can also be found on my blog:
➽ KITTY KATS CRAZY ABOUT BOOKS

For the longest time, half of me was missin; Then you walked into my life with your beautiful smile and unbreakable will, and the hole was gone.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

THE OCEAN BETWEEN US: A full length, Southern Heroes Romance Novel by Michelle Heard. Spoken in ‘Dual Perspectives’ In this we meet Aiden and Emma.

We’re first introduced to Emma who literally lives her life in fear, within a gilded cage of her mothers makin
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
A romantic action hero

Emma is abused at home by her alcoholic mother most of her life. Even after turning 18, she under the thumb of her mother until she turns 21 and gets some part of her trust fund though her mother still has to approve purchases. She has learned over time that it is not worth it to stand up to her Mom because the beatings are worse when she tries.

When she turns 21 she gets a student Visa and escapes the US with the help of a friend and meets Aiden and a group of his friends.
Dilek VT
Sep 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't stand this book after I read one or two chapters, then I skimmed & scanned to see it even got worse for me. Now, my rating & review is based on my intolerance to the book.

The heroine is abused by her mother constantly. It is both physical & psychological abuse. She submits to her as she has learnt if she submits, the abuse lasts shorter.

At the age of 21, she runs away from home, which is in South Africa, to the U.S.A, with a student visa. There she meets a hot guy on her first d
Alex ♈

Please note the author's warning about scenes of violence!

Amazing hero; a heroine, who gained strength.
Safe (apart from assault scenes).
Some plot holes, but overall a touching book with a good message.
Coco.V
Jun 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (6/8/2019)! 🎁
SheLove2Read
Sep 20, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018
Too much everything. Too much drama, too much angst, too much happened too fast. This was a DNF for me.
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
4 STARS

'Life has taught me that the people who are supposed to protect you are the ones who will hurt you the most.'

This is my first book from this author and I really enjoy it!It was a beautiful story,emotional and sweet.Aiden and Emma had amazing chemistry, I adored them.

Emma moves away from her controlling abusive mother.She meets Aiden and her whole life changes.Aiden is sweet and protective!I really liked him from the beginning!

This is a great read, it's fast paced and the story line is int
Mandie
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my first read from this author. It was a beautifully written book that gave me all the feels. I couldn’t put it down.
Lisa (Two Bookish Brits)
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Books that make me feel as much as this did are books that I’ll remember forever. The Ocean Between Us was more than I ever expected it to be and I love it!

ARC received in exchange for an honest review

When I read the info on this book I knew I had to read it. Having read this authors books in the past I knew I was in for a treat and to say I got more than I expected would be an understatement because I for sure wasn’t expecting this story.

Aiden, this guy is outta this world. He’s gorgeous, cha
Big Joe  Rossi
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was ok

Emma has dealt with years of mental abuse and she has finally had enough. With the help of her best friend she flees to the USA and to school. Once in the US she decides on one night of letting go, before she puts herself to work with school and making sure she can stay. When she meets the sexy Aiden she offers one night of sex NSA. A little to much to drink she gets sicks as they go to her apartment.....THEIR apartment!!!! Yep a mix up by the landlord has made them roommates.

In over he
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
THE OCEAN BETWEEN US was a fantastic book although it had a rather difficult scene to read. I honestly could have done without the details, but it is what it is. I still loved the story and the characters. It just took some time to work through the emotions of that one scene before I could move on. There is a warning at the beginning that states the book contains graphic violence, so please proceed with caution. But I would love for you to proceed!! Otherwise you will be missing out on a great s ...more
Tanaka K (The Romantic Angel Blog)
Ever since I saw the teaser for The Ocean Between Us by Michelle Heard, I wanted to read it. You know that feeling you get when you read book that impresses you greatly. Yep, I found it The Ocean Between us. Man, this book literary burned me alive. Every facet, every inch and every moment of this book drowned me deeply to a story that made me alive. The Ocean Between Us is a story of light and darkness. The Ocean Between Us is a story of pain. The Ocean Between Us is a story that will turn your ...more
Tish (Cocktails & Fairytales)
Loved this book very much!! It was romantic, emotional and intense. It was a real page turner. It had be hooked from page one, it was so hard to put down. It's a very exciting and fast paced story.

This book was given to me at my request and I provided this review voluntarily.
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free copy of [title] from [publisher] via Author. This has in no way influenced my voluntary review, which is honest and unbiased *The Ocean Between Us dealt with quite a few very dark themes, and some of the things that happened made me cry with both sadness and anger. However, there was so much sweet to counteract the bad!

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews
Story:
The Ocean Between us started with showing me that Emma had the childhood from hell! W
Island Queen Reads
★★★ BOOK REVIEW ★★★

Title: The Ocean Between Us (A Southern Heroes Novel)
Author: Michelle Heard (formerly Michelle Horst)
Reviewed by: Ofa Reads from Tongan Book Lover
Rating: 4 Stars ✯✯✯✯

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Ocean Between Us by Michelle Heard has been a book I've been eagerly awaiting from the moment I saw that first teaser. I've always loved this author's books and her characters and this book is no different! I loved that it was unique, it was differe
K.A. Graham
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Ocean Between Us by Michelle Heard

☆☆☆5 stars☆☆☆

Emma and Aiden...they broke my heart then restored the pieces, one by one. I love them beyond words. Its been said you may find your soulmate when you least expect it, and no truer words have been spoken when it comes to these two.

Emma had been through the deepest trenches of life, but somehow dug herself out. She's moved away from what was surely killing her, and now has the chance at a life of her choosing. Something she deserves and has foug
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
I am loving the journey I am taking with this author. Each and every book I read I feel it’s her best, my favourite until she writes another story and then it tops the previous book. The Ocean Between Us is no different. I absolutely loved each and every word of it.

Emma runs from everything she knew to a fresh start. She hasn’t had an easy start in life so I was really rooting for her to find the happiness and peace she deserves. I thought Emma came across as a really lovely, strong and independ
Anne OK
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Some may find this book difficult to deal with because of dark triggers. It isn’t an easy read – oftentimes the subject matter gut-wrenching.

Emma is a broken soul. When she escapes her home in South Africa, along with the horrible abuse at the hands of her family, she finds a chance to survive in the United States. Quite by accident, she meets Aiden, a man with secrets – but also the man who will restore her hope that life can be better. But injustices once again reappear and Emma faces more evi
Judy Robichaud
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
★༻• 🌊•༺• 💦•༻• 🌊•༺★💦★༻• 🌊•༺• 💦•༻• 🌊•༺★༻• 🌊•༺• 💦•༻• 🌊•༺★💦★༻• 🌊•༺• 💦•༻• 🌊•༺★•
THE OCEAN BETWEEN US IS A FLAWLESS, EMOTIONALLY PACKED & HAUNTINGLY BEAUTIFUL 5 STAR READ THAT DELIVERS ON EVERY LEVEL!! OH THE “FEELS” IN THIS BOOK!!

GAH!!!! It’s official… I have climbed aboard and joined the twisted sister mother-ship also known as the Michelle Heard Fan Club. I can’t wait and look forward to her taking me on another exciting ride. Because that’s exactly what you get with a dark romantic suspense novel
Britt The Red Hatter Book Blog
I fully admit, I was a bit afraid to start this book. The author’s trigger warnings had me slightly apprehensive but I’ve loved Michelle Heard’s writing for so long I knew I had to jump in and I’m endlessly glad I did. Her writing has always been beautiful, but recently it’s like a whole new level has been unleashed for Michelle Heard taking her books from superb all the way to phenomenal! The Ocean Between Us is simultaneously devastatingly heartbreaking and unbelievably healing. All while bein ...more
Neringa Neringiukas
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a bit a mess here and I'm struggling to find right words. I knew this story will mess up my emotions. I need stress reliever now. All that abuse... I'm wondering, what's worse? Mental or physical abuse? While physical leaves scars on your skin, but scars left on your soul may never heal completely. What Emma was through... I'm just glad she found her eagle.
But while it was hard to read some parts, because of their damaging impact on a soul, parts that made me most emotional was with Aidan.
Michelle
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first read by Michelle and definitely won't be my last. I really enjoyed that this story was different to your typical romances and dealt with difficult issues .
Emma was a great heroine, it was quite emotional watching her overcome her abuse and grow the way she did. Aiden, our hero in the story, really was a real life hero. He was loyal and fiercely protective Emma. Their relationship developed really quickly but as a reader who doesn't really enjoy instalove, it felt natural and r
Danielle Robbins
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Ocean Between Us was an emotional and so good! I loved it! Aiden was really sweet and so swoony. I loved how protective he was of Emma. Emma was a sweet woman and I felt so bad for her. Aiden and Emma had amazing chemistry. Their love was beautiful! Looking forward to reading more in this new series!
Anne Milne
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a visual person however I fell head over heels in love with the cover from the moment I saw it then I read the blurb and I was hooked.

Emma and Aiden two polar opposites who never saw the other coming. When Emma runs from her home to study in America the first people she befriends are Aiden and his friends. Never could either of them imagined the profound change they would bring to each other's lives.

Emma is a character who inspires such admiration, she goes through alot and whil
Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog)
First up, a trigger warning: There are difficult scenes to read here - detailed scenes of abuse and assault, so be forewarned if you have triggers.

When Emma finally gathers up enough courage to take herself out of reach of her abusive mother's hands, she ends up in a new country in a new culture - the US. Aiden's drawn to Emma from first glance - the beautiful woman who's obviously far too innocent to be at the bar where they first meet. Aiden has a protective streak a mile wide and Emma brings
Dee
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ok

This book was originally published in 2013 and the author revised and renamed this story. I think it needed a little more work, story was ok but the dialogue between the characters seems a little juvenile and certain scenarios the characters were in didn't add up .
Amanda Steward
Sep 22, 2018 marked it as dnf
I wanted to read this book. So many high reviews. But if you’ve ever been mentally abused like I have it’s not one you can read. Maybe one day I can come back on it because I’m sure it’s a great book. Just for me right now I can’t.
Pamela Lilley
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Michelle’s darker side and The Ocean Between Us has just a little of the dark, and a lot of the dirty. Emma, is both emotionally and physically abused by her mother, after years living the family lie she finally breaks free and runs to America. Meeting Aiden Holden is both the best and the worst thing she does. She has one of the best and one of the worst times of her life in the weeks she is in America. She discovers that evil is not just in her family, but very much alive in others. Aid ...more
Nova
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow and I so mean wow this book is not one for the faint hearted and take note of the warnings at the start of this book as it may contain triggers for some readers. This was a real emotional and ultimately beautiful story.

Emma is finally free of her cold, abusive and controlling mother. Escaping to America with the help of her best friend Chloe she follows her advice and decides to take the bull by the horns and goes to a bar. She’d drawn to Aiden from the minute she sets eyes on him although t
Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alpha-male, arc
Michelle Heard is one of those authors that you can’t talk about the story and the actual book. All you can focus on is your feelings and how you felt when you started reading and during and the end of the book. And man I want to say if you a reader and want to read a book that is filled with so much emotions, darkness, angst and will leave with you totally broken and then put you back together again, then I say pick up one of this author’s books.
With this book, she did it again. What this women
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Protector
  • Predator (Men of Honor, #1)
  • Redemption (Men of Honor #2)
  • Ruthless (Enemies To Lovers #4)
  • Shameless (Enemies To Lovers #5)
  • Careless (Enemies To Lovers #3)
  • Reckless (Enemies To Lovers #2)
  • Heartless (Enemies to Lovers #1)
  • Unbreak This Heart
  • When Forever Changes (Forever Love #1)
  • The Truth About Us (The Truth Duet, #2)
  • Absolution
  • The Truth About Lies (The Truth Duet, #1)
  • Best Laid Plans
  • The Road Home (Langley Park #1)
  • The Sound of Home (Langley Park, #2)
  • Heartbreak Warfare
  • Craving Dragonflies
Michelle Heard is a Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling Author who loves creating stories her readers can get lost in. She resides in South Africa with her son where she's always planning her next book to write, and trip to take.

Want to be up to date with what’s happening in Michelle’s world? Sign up to receive the latest news on her alpha hero releases, sales, and great giveaways → ht

Southern Heroes (6 books)
  • The Girl In The Closet (Southern Heroes #2)
  • The Lies We Tell Ourselves (Southern Heroes #3)
  • All The Wasted Time (Southern Heroes #4)
  • We Were Lost (Southern Heroes #5)
  • The Fire Between Us (Southern Heroes #6)