Start by marking “My Detective” as Want to Read:
My Detective

My Detective

Los Angeles is booming. Money is pouring in. Buildings are going up. But someone is killing architects.

Detective Sam Carver journeys through sins scattered across the City of Angels, where hipsters, homeless, immigrants, producers, politicians, movie stars, and cops collide in mysterious ways. Every move Carver makes is anticipated by the killer, Dylan Cross. S
Audio CD
Published April 16th 2019 by Blackstone Publishing

To ask other readers questions about My Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Detective

Kemper
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5-0, crime-mystery, arc, 2019
I received a free advance copy of this from NetGalley for review.

I know the dating scene can be tough, but if you’ve resorted to murder as part of your plan to hook up with your dream guy then maybe you should give Tinder another try.

Sam Carver is a LAPD homicide detective working the case of a prominent architect who got his throat cut. What Sam doesn’t know is that the killer is a beautiful woman who is infatuated with him after she read a story about him in the local paper. Dyla
Linda Strong
3.5 STARS

This is a crime story .. or maybe, it's a love story. It's the story of two people who are flawed, each with a history that they don't readily share with anyone.

Dylan Cross is an architect ... she's also a killer. She's killing those that have hurt her in the past. Detective Sam Carver is the man she feels will understand her, understand why she kills, maybe heal her soul, maybe love her. Carver is obsessed with solving this case... while Dylan is obsessed with t
Bandit
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Detective is essentially a story of obsession and revenge. Told in a very concise modern noir style. Although it features murders, there’s no mystery here, this isn’t about who, this is all about why. But it does have plenty of thrills and suspense. I actually haven’t read noir in a while and it was very refreshing and enjoyable. The clipped sentences, the pared down minimalism of language, the author’s done a great job of it. Although this is very much modern too, every effort has been made ...more
Scott Parsons
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dtetective, crime
Leagues ahead of the regular cop and killer crime stories

This is a lyrically written crime story of detective Sam Carver and female architect/ killer Dylan Cross.
It is told in alternating perspectives, that of the cop and that of the killer. So after the first couple of chapters we know a fair bit about the killer but not her motive. For Sam the killings of two prominent architects in LA is at first a mystery but as the story deepens he begins to suspect one killer, and after a
Geoff. Lamb
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jeffrey Fleischmann has written most of an excellent story. The beginning and middle are taut, the characters sharp. Perhaps it is only me who will be a little let down by the last 1/4 or so of the story.

Women who are serial killers are rare, especially in fiction writing. The best depiction of a female serial killer is Gretchen Lowell, compellingly created by Chelsea Cain in a series of novels. Another female serial killer is Cara Lindstrom, who kills those that torture and kill children.

Dyla
Kevin Coe
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

This is an excellent psychological detective story whose characters are flawed by trauma but sympathetic nonetheless. As the investigation into related murders the roles of hunter and hunted become blurred. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
AROD
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fleishman's story is as much a tale about a changing Los Angeles as it is a story of obsession and revenge. The city of Los Angeles comes to life through the eyes of its two main characters, Dylan and Carver. The novel never loses pace, maintaining momentum from start to finish. This combined with Fleishman's unique style and prose make for a top-notch read for anyone looking for a great crime novel or simply a lens into a downtown LA on the rise. The story concludes with the feeling that Fleish ...more
Anastasia
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LA noir has a new voice.
In the tradition of the best—think Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett—Jeffrey Fleishman suffuses his debut crime novel with lyrical literary elements.
His characters are finely drawn. They think deep thoughts. All have flaws. Some do nasty things. All have grace, some more than others.
Los Angeles looms as a pivotal character; Fleishman beautifully paints the both depressing and exciting elements in its recent transformation.
The language in My Detective is
Bookends32
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the very first line, I couldn't put My Detective down. There are many fast-moving, dark crime novels out there but few are so beautifully written. The pace and character-building reminded me a bit of Michael Connelly meets Gillian Flynn. You quickly get invested in both Dylan and Carver's personal missions as the novel jumps back and forth between their narratives. I looked up the author and he's a journalist, and used to be a foreign reporter, which gives the story an authentic investigati ...more
Andrew Tucker
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for providing me an ARC of this book.

I enjoyed this combination of a thriller and a police procedural.

Detective is obsessed with solving a case.
Killer is obsessed with stalking her victims and enacting revenge while simultaneously stalking the detective that is investigating and trying to find her.

Writing was very detailed and engaging, the back story on both the villain and the detective was well developed and drew me in to care about both char
David
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a refreshingly different take on the crime/thriller genre. There aren’t too many books with female serial killers out there. While Dylan Cross is technically a serial killer it feels like her victims had it coming. I won’t spoil the plot but it is well thought out and intriguing.
I don’t give many books a five star rating but when I do it is usually because of the writing style. There are just some books you pick up and know in the first chapter that you are going to love it and My
Adrianne
Sam Carver - Empathetic, attractive, damaged detective with drinking, writing and piano skills. Dylan Cross - Seductive, smart, scarred killer of architects. A modern day noir paired with a hefty dose of Los Angeles architecture wrapped in a retribution story against misogynistic power. (Question: Does violence against women as graphically portrayed in books, or other media, help expose atrocities or is it exploitative and serves to further degrade women? This was a notable issue of discussion s ...more
L.A. Noir
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel wonderfully puts you into the minds of both cop and killer. What it also does extremely well – and at times beautifully -- is make Los Angeles its own character. The evocative writing gives a picture of modern day L.A. in all its sin and make-believe glory. I’m an Angeleno and so much of this rang true.
Obi
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Semi interesting/great read. Was curious to read this novel, being that I live in DTLA. Interesting part is the character-personification on story narrating. Shifting from one to the other.

For once I liked how the story panned out... how it ended.

Perhaps not up my favourites (James Patterson, Tom Gabby) mystery standards, but I did enjoy the captivity enough to finish it under 5 days.
Stuart
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Modern update of Raymond Chandler novel. He has the argot, the seedy with the wealthy in Los Angeles, the hardboiled detective, and the femme fatale in a contemporary structure where each chapter alternates 1st person voices. Very entertaining. If you like Chandler I think you will like this take.
Daniel
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the tradition of great L.A. crime fiction, “My Detective” is a nuanced page-turner whose two main characters are so well developed they feel alive on the page. For fans of crime stories, Los Angeles and even architecture, it’s a must-read!
Jan
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The joint obsessions of both killer & detective create an interesting undercurrent in a book that offers up scary examples of the thing led that are possible if a talented hacker targets someone. The pace was a bit erratic, but overall it was a surprisingly good read.
Thomas Einstein
Plot C+, editing F

This is an LA noir thriller. It’s not a whodunnit because the perp is revealed from the start.

I read it closely at first, but started to skip massive useless verbiage toward the middle of the book.

The writer is good, but the over all result is lacking.
Sally Q
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the author keeps the novel moving, the writing is unique for this genre and really paints a picture of every scene. "My Detective" worked for me!
Howardtu
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this a lot. Maybe there will be a continuation of the story or maybe not
Harriet Huddle
Intriguing psychological thriller!

I wonder if this is a stand alone novel. I hope to read more about Sam Carver; I love the character. How Los Angeles is perceived by the author is fascinating; I believe he knows the city.
Aaron