Start by marking “The Ice House (The Honours #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ice House (The Honours #2)

The Ice House

(The Honours #2)

War doesn’t end. It sleeps.

Delphine Venner is old, but she remembers everything.

She remembers what it is to be a child of war, she remembers fighting for her life and what the terrifying creatures from another world took from her all those years ago. She remembers the gateway, and those she lost.

And in that other world, beast-filled and brutal, someone waits for her. Hagar
Published May 2019 by Canongate Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ice House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ice House

Start your review of The Ice House (The Honours #2)
Liz Barnsley
About 50 pages into this one I realised it was a sequel and the world built in it is way too complex to skip book 1 (The Honours). So shelving this as (part) read for now. Love the writing so I've ordered the first book and I'll be back!
Paul
Apr 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Delphine Venner has been around a long time, whilst some people the same age as her have fading memories, she has not forgotten anything. She remembers being a child of war, and fighting for her life, she remembers the gateway and the world and terrifying creatures that live the other side of it. Most of all she remember those that she lost. She is offered a chance to pass through the gateway once again. On the other side of the gateway is someone who has been an assassin for centuries. She is w ...more
Heidi Nibbelink
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up Tim Clare’s latest novel, The Ice House, because of my high regard for Tim Clare as a generous, encouraging presence in the writing community. His excellent podcast, Death of 1000 Cuts, is full of insight, writing tips and exercises, and interviews with authors and publishing professionals.

Literary fiction is more my jam than fantasy, although I’ve read the classics like Tolkien and, more recently, George R. R. Martin and N.K. Jemison. I jumped into The Ice House without having read
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
I finished this book at 2 Am so there was no direct write up of the review other than, 'omg I loved it, go read it' and that felt insufficient haha.

I will say when I requested this on NetGalley I had no idea that it was the SECOND book, and really this was before I leaned my lesson on checking goodreads to see, so, I'm not putting the blame on them or me, it just happened that way haha. But that really didn't takeaway from the reading experience, not as much as I thought it would (so yes you cou
Pile By the Bed
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ice House
Tim Clare
Allen and Unwin $29.99
ISBN: 9781786894816
Cover Art: http://assets.allenandunwin.com.s3.am...

In 2015, Tim Clare released his debut fantasy book The Honours. That book felt like a reinvigoration of classic British fantasy. Set around a stately home, Alderberen Hall, in the 1930s, if focussed on a precocious 13 year-old called Delphine Venner. The Honours had everything readers might expect of a grand British fantasy – a gateway to another world, strange creatures, secrets and
Michelle Tutt
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sequel to The Honours. Time has passed for Delphine, but there are still adventures to be had and strange new worlds to explore. Again beautifully written but this time with added Battle Nuns!
Louise
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it

I made the very foolish mistake of not reading the first book first.
Because of this,I was baffled as to Who,why,where and what for a lot of this book.
I'm not joking when I say I almost gave up on it several times.
But as you see,I finished it,and gave it a better than average rating... because I enjoyed the writing style,even when I didn't know what was going on.
Also,almost every time I was ready to step sway,something would drag me back into the story,something weird and wonderful.
I won
Sayantoni Das
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Without reading the Honours, The Ice House was a rather jolty read for me. This is because I had to get well acquainted with Delphine first and then I had to research the story. And once I was completely absorbed in, it was almost impossible to get out. The Ice House is a fantasy but not basic in the genre. It traverses across literature, meddling with the shrewd art of storytelling. The beautiful world of Avalonia is difficult and sturdy but Delphine is now back in her youth and kicking some re ...more
Amanda
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A ripping adventure of wild imaginings.

The unstoppable Delphine Venner is the heroine I've wanted to read all my life. The Ice House opens in 1930s Norfolk, and an elderly Delphine has been scarred by the loss of her friends and family. Seeking revenge, she embarks on a quest to save her loved ones. In the world of Avalonia, Delphine returns to her youth and is supported and thwarted by a cast of eccentric characters.

Clare's vivid writing sparkles with wit and originality. His prose is sharp, wi
Ioanna
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A stunning follow-up story to Tim Clare's The Honours, this is a gripping story that will definitely keep you on your toes. Slightly verging on the brink of gore at times, it is, nonetheless, a very interesting and fascinating fantasy read, revolving around Delphine and her appointed assassin, Hagar.

Truth be told, you probably have to read The Honours before moving to The Ice House, but the read i
Karen Smith
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've not read fantasy for a long time and it took me a while to readjust to having to try and picture things from the ground up. Now I've finished the book I've found out it is the second in a series so this has reassured me about finding the beginning a little hard going.
It's a story about Delphine, Hagar, Lord Jenenus and the Honours. Starting off with Delphine in our world and then going through the Godstuff to another world, this book is a really good fantasy novel with beings that aren't h
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
Recommended by Haley @ The Caffeinated Reader.
Ruth
Jul 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: spec-fic
Not for me, I’m afraid so unable to recommend at this time.
Bristolian Books
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the publisher for an advance readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

I did not want to rush through this epic fantasy novel created by Tim Clare!
Full of multi faceted creatures and characters, a blending of religion and urban fantasy, with a reassuring vision of a world which turns back time, I won't lie, I was annoyed when life intruded into my reading time and I was wrenched away from it all!

I loved that the female characters were strong, confident and kick ass, and that it
Michelle
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
War doesn’t end it sleeps…

The Ice House is stunningly original and beautifully written. A complex literary fantasy which demands your full attention and doesn’t let go until the final climax!

Set approximately 70 years after the events in The Honours, Delphine, now in her mid 80s, finds herself thrust into the world of Avalonia, still searching for answers to what happened all those years ago in the grounds of Alderberen Hall.

The story boasts an incredibly imaginative and diverse cast of charac
Angela
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Being old was like getting beaten up every day of your life. Mugged by time."

The Ice House as a follow on to The Honours certainly ups the ante by a fair margin. It follows the twin stories of Delphine, who is now an elderly woman, and Hagar, handmaiden to the most powerful peer in Avalonia. The pace is pretty hectic. There's a very short set up with both stories then the action starts right in the first tenth of the book.

I had previously started this book, only realising, 60 pages in, that it
Elite Group
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautifully imagined but occasionally difficult to follow fantasy novel

Delphine Venner is an old woman now, but she still remembers her childhood. When she was just a teenager, she encountered creatures from another dangerous world beyond our own and lost people in the fight for her own life. When she is offered the chance to return to that world, she takes it to try and save those left behind. Waiting for her in the other world are beasts, criminals, angels and a deadly assassin who is plann
Shayney Hardcastle
3.5 Stars
*I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest and unbiased review of this book*

The Ice House by Tim Clare is the second book in The Honours series, which is something I must have missed and was unaware of when I requested this book from NetGalley and is something that I wish I had knew beforehand. Although I did enjoy this book and I did enjoy the story by itself, while reading this book I did have this constant feeling that I was missing something. Not o
Michelle Vess
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Vivienne
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, horror
My thanks to Canongate for an eARC via NetGalley of Tim Clare’s ‘The Ice House’ in exchange for an honest review. It was published in May 2019.

I hadn’t realised that this was a sequel to his earlier novel, ‘The Honours’, when I requested it. I started reading and as I was feeling a bit lost decided to delay reading until I had read ‘The Honours’, which I enjoyed very much. I elected to buy the audiobook editions for both novels.

This is set 73 years after the events of ‘The Honours’ and Delphine
Carolyn
I got the opportunity to read this book as an advanced review copy and decided after reading some reviews, that I would read the first novel The Honours as this is the second in a series. I enjoyed The Honours and was looking forward to the second book. However the two books were very different. The Honours is set firmly in 1930s England with mysterious and sinister goings-on that young Delphine is trying to solve. The introduction of the alternate world comes very late in the book. However The ...more
A.M.
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a lyrical fantasy with detailed world building and complex female characters. The other world has a range of humanoid/animal species each with their own culture and religion, and the scientific spin on how people can attain immortality was unlike any I've read. I liked that the characters are a range of ages and that there are quite badass women, too. (Although travelling to the other world, where most action takes places, makes Delphine a lot younger.)

Unfortunately, I didn't realise thi
Katie Grainger
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am thankful that I read The Honours before I tackled The Ice House, although many say you can read this as a standalone I am afraid I would beg to differ because so much of the back story happens in the first book.

Firstly I love the character of Delphine, the novel starts 70 years after the events of the first and as a result Delphine is now a feisty OAP rather than the child we knew from the first novel. Secondly I really enjoyed the novel is essentially told from two points of view, Delphin
James Day
Great characters and world, but the story is a little lacking

A few positives first: this book like the last one has a great sense of details and evoking a world. And the world of this fantasy novel is rich and weird, which i always quite like.

The elements of the novel that are good are the characters of Delphine again, she is strong and willful as ever. And the new character Hagar is also intriguing.

The main issue i had with the book is that the actual plot didn't really seem to hook me much. T
Clare
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
It wasn’t until I was halfway through this book and adding it on to Goodreads, that I realised it was the second in a series. So I would say that it can be read on it’s own - but I’m going to buy the first book and read it now! I love this world building! It would be interesting to read about Delphine’s childhood, the discovery of the Honours and the gateway.
There’s a great cast of characters in this book - the females have great representation and lead the story. They’re strong, brave and don’
BOOK BOOKS
Jul 09, 2020 added it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I'M READING THE ICE HOUSE WHICH IS THE SECOND IN A VERY VIOLENT PORTAL-TO-A-FANTASY-WORLD SERIES. THE FIRST ONE WAS SET IN OUR WORLD IN I THINK THE THIRTIES AND IN THE SECOND ONE THE PROTAGONIST WHO WAS A CHILD IN THE FIRST IS A CRANKY AND CREAKY OLD LADY WHO GOES TO THE OTHER WORLD. I LIKE IT A LOT BUT IT'S VERY GORY AND SOMEHOW A VERY SLOW READ BECAUSE THERE'S SO MUCH DESCRIPTION OF FANTASY ELEMENTS GOING ON.

I THINK I'VE READ THE FIRST ONE OF THOSE! DID IT HAVE A GIRL AND A GRUMPY OLD GROUNDSM
Bobby Pridgen
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you read this book like a car speeding down a meadowed highway, devouring pages to get the plot points without looking at the detail, you will rob yourself of wonderful reading experience. Tim Clare puts what he preaches on his Death of 1000 Cuts podcast into practice with a story that is immersive and thrilling. Clare does well to make words work harder then they ought to. Read it slow. It is well worth your time.
Ramona Wray
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, adventure
Slightly better than the first installment, but still structurally messy. Too much working up to what amounts to not that much in the end.
Maria
Aug 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Considering I am a lovely of fantasy fiction - this didn't grip me or hold me.
Julian
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
There's no doubt that Tim Clare can write but unfortunately his highly descriptive prose can get in the way of the story and I didn't quite enjoy this book as much as the first.

• Starve Acre
  • The Wake
  • The Porpoise
  • The Shelf
  • An Orchestra of Minorities
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • The Mercies
  • Goldilocks
  • A Song Below Water (A Song Below Water, #1)
  • A Single Thread
  • The Man Who Saw Everything
  • Monstrous Heart (The Monstrous Heart Trilogy, #1)
  • They Went Left