Start by marking “The Ice House” as Want to Read:

(The Honours #2)

WAR DOESN'T END. IT SLEEPS.

Delphine Venner is old, but she remembers everything.

She remembers what it is to be a child of war, she remembers fighting for her life and what the terrifying creatures from another world took from her all those years ago. She remembers the gateway, and those she lost.

And in that other world, beast-filled and brutal, someone waits for her. Hagar
Published May 2019 by Canongate Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Ice House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ice House

Liz Barnsley
About 50 pages into this one I realised it was a sequel and the world built in it is way too complex to skip book 1 (The Honours). So shelving this as (part) read for now. Love the writing so I've ordered the first book and I'll be back!
Louise
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it

I made the very foolish mistake of not reading the first book first.
Because of this,I was baffled as to Who,why,where and what for a lot of this book.
I'm not joking when I say I almost gave up on it several times.
But as you see,I finished it,and gave it a better than average rating... because I enjoyed the writing style,even when I didn't know what was going on.
Also,almost every time I was ready to step sway,something would drag me back into the story,something weird and wonderful.
I won
Pile By the Bed
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tim Clare
Allen and Unwin $29.99
ISBN: 9781786894816
Cover Art: http://assets.allenandunwin.com.s3.am...

In 2015, Tim Clare released his debut fantasy book The Honours. That book felt like a reinvigoration of classic British fantasy. Set around a stately home, Alderberen Hall, in the 1930s, if focussed on a precocious 13 year-old called Delphine Venner. The Honours had everything readers might expect of a grand British fantasy – a gateway to another world, strange creatures, secrets and
wearethecuriousbookclub
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the publisher for an advance readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

I did not want to rush through this epic fantasy novel created by Tim Clare!
Full of multi faceted creatures and characters, a blending of religion and urban fantasy, with a reassuring vision of a world which turns back time, I won't lie, I was annoyed when life intruded into my reading time and I was wrenched away from it all!

I loved that the female characters were strong, confident and kick ass, and that it
Gianna
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A stunning follow-up story to Tim Clare's The Honours, this is a gripping story that will definitely keep you on your toes. Slightly verging on the brink of gore at times, it is, nonetheless, a very interesting and fascinating fantasy read, revolving around Delphine and her appointed assassin, Hagar.

Truth be told, you probably have to read The Honours before moving to The Ice House, but the read i
Michelle
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
War doesn’t end it sleeps…

The Ice House is stunningly original and beautifully written. A complex literary fantasy which demands your full attention and doesn’t let go until the final climax!

Set approximately 70 years after the events in The Honours, Delphine, now in her mid 80s, finds herself thrust into the world of Avalonia, still searching for answers to what happened all those years ago in the grounds of Alderberen Hall.

The story boasts an incredibly imaginative and diverse cast of charac
Amanda
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Female heroine par excellence. A ripping adventure of wild imaginings.
MuserShell
Apr 19, 2019
Jen
Mar 12, 2019
Nicola Weideling
Delphine Venner is an old woman now. She is old, but she remembers everything. She remembers fighting for her life, the terrifying creatures from another world, the gateway they came through, and those she lost.

And in that other world, beast-filled and brutal, someone waits for her. Hagar, a centuries-old assassin, daily paying a terrible price for her unending youth, is planning one final death: that of her abhorrent master, the Grand-Duc. The death that will cost her everything. The death whic
Bonnie
May 10, 2019
Caro
added it
Sep 17, 2018
Tim Clare
Oct 08, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Rebecca