Start by marking “Center Of Gravity” as Want to Read:
Center Of Gravity

Center Of Gravity

(Nook Island #1)

When life comes apart at the seams, love is the only thread that can mend it...

Accountant Rob Macomb has a stable job that he’s good at and… that’s about it. A year of nothing but heartache leaves him seeking refuge from loneliness and grief behind spreadsheets, punishing daily runs, and the occasional anonymous tryst. He wants only to bury the past and focus on his career
ebook
Published October 4th 2018 (first published October 2nd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Center Of Gravity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Center Of Gravity

Chris, the Dalek King
After having year in which his father and mother both died, and finding out his boyfriend was not quite as broken up with his wife as previously stated, the last thing that Rob Macomb wants to be doing is packing up his parent’s house for sale. But with his sister living across the country, he is the only one around to do it. Hopefully he can do it quickly, if not painlessly. A few days and surely he can go back to his boring, if predictable, life.

Imagine his surprise when the moving company he
Anke
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sample
This was a wonderful start to my new reading year 2019! Funny and sad with a wonderful happy ending.
Now off to the short story 'Sightlines', which is not on GR yet. Hopefully someone will add it soon.
Ami
This was my first book of Wilder's ... and I thought it was good 😊

Sure, it got a bit heavy near the end -- and I was in tears -- but the whole book was a good combination of cuteness and tenderness and angst. I was very much entertained with the how determined Alex was to wear Rob down, telling the older man that there was nothing wrong to have some fun.

The part with Alex's sick father, and Rob reminiscing about his own deceased father wasn't easy to read -- and I felt that this was very person
namericanwordcat
4.5 Stars

This tender jerker with its slow burn to love and relationship and the stops and starts of two heroes who find their way to a perfect match.

Rob is shut down when they meet and Alex is reeling with his father's illness.

All the details of this story make it truly special from the inherited dog, discovered truths about Rob's fathers, the intensity of Alex's job clearing out houses, the wonderful art and Cracker Jacks.

The secondary characters are fully drawn and compelling. Wilder creates
Leanne

There's much to like about this story. Good writing...really good writing, actually. The characters are well fleshed out, the dialogue is good and the MCs have wonderful chemistry. Both characters are dealing with death (or imminent death) of a parent. This was beautifully.. and painfully accurately portrayed. The book was generally well balanced with enough snark and charm to lighten things up but I felt that the last quarter could have been tightened up a bit. I skimmed the gratuitous
Gabriella (Gabi)
After reading her short stories with Nate & Eric that are full of banter - and the author is really good at that, lemme tell ya - I wasn't sure what to expect from this story.

The last few chapters were indeed very sad, and hard to read, I was chocking on my tears, while trying to hold them back. I maaay have skimmed over the most brutal chapter, when the grief was so overwhelming I couldn't take it.

Otherwise this book was very flirtatious, though I'm used to way more banter from Neve Wilder
Kirk
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
This was a story I really got immersed in; there was no insta-love here, it was a relationship that evolved in its own time, and during the journey we got to see and feel the emotional connection building exponentially between these two men. I could understand Rob’s insistence on keeping up his walls up, being where he was in his life and the losses he’d suffered, and Alex; going through one of the most horrific experiences that a person can and trying to hold it together for himself and his fam ...more
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I kinda fell in love with this book.
Which in all actuality I probably should have stayed very far away from because (view spoiler)
But there was actually just this quiet sense of melancholy that drew me right in.

I love books where the 2 MCs challenge the relationship. I hate insta love.
I need deep. I need to feel an ache in my chest that I rub and rub and rub while I'm reading.
I love sexual chemistry. I love the p
Sissy Spain
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't remember a book that was so touching but had such a gut wrenching portrayal of grief and mourning. The author made me feel I was in the midst of the heartbreaking end of life of the MC dad. It was so utterly beautiful. The MCs always seemed to just miss each other. The writing is suppurb; fluid and filled with beautiful moments. I will read more from this author.
Rachel
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really love this one.
AussieMum

I usually avoid books with high angst but this one sucked me in. The relationship between these two men felt very real, and as far from a perfect romance as you can get really, maybe that's why it appealed.

This book spans a year and was slow and measured, with way more lows in the lives of these two than highs. But through it all you just know they are it for each other. If only both of them would/could acknowledge it, accept it, and move forward. Not such a spoiler alert: they don't f
Christina
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
1.5 Stars
Staci
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great story but I really wanted to scream at Rob. I know he was suffering from great loss and was trying to find his way back to the land of the living, but he was so self absorbed and selfish.

I wanted to hug Alex and tell him to find someone who would appreciate him the way he deserves! At the end though, I grew to like Rob. Can't wait the read the next book in this series.
Anna
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-gap
What a beautiful book
R
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviewed
Alex is struggling with his fathers cancer. He left school to help support the family and hasn’t been able to find a good job.

Rob is an accountant, immersed in his work, trying to cope with a breakup and emptying and selling his parents home. Rob hires a company to help him and come face to face with a one night stand, Alex.

Both men try to work around the fact that they have been intimate. Not being very successful. They are very attracted to each other. Alex pushing Rob for more than he is abl
farmwifetwo
Jan 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
JenMcJ
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is overwhelmed with grief which makes it hard to pull into hopeful romance and yet it manages to do that....slowly. This book made me cry and miss my parents, too. Not what I was really expecting when I started the book.

I did find myself distracted at times by forgetful plot points and some plot questions around the Nook island living situations and Rob's business situations but I think I needed to be distracted at times from the overwhelming sadness.

I don't think I'm interested in S
Light
4 / 5 Stars

This is a good start as a debut novel. It left me wanting more of these characters.

There's such an emotional turmoil, grief and hope at the end of the journey but so difficult to see. The characters have many issues, past and present, they need to deal with but the attraction, the connection they feel from they moment they meet... It's all there for the reader to see and read about.

Even though it was a bit too angsty at times and the romance super slow, I did like Rob and Alex and th
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
DNF
Kelly
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different

I wasn’t sure how to rate this book. If you’re looking for a very slow burn this is the book for you. It was more of a slow burn then I like but the end made up for it. I just wasn’t getting it at the beginning. It was a lot of back and forth and I felt like saying ‘Come on by! Enough already!’ Lol. This book brought out so many feelings. I just loved when it all finally started coming together. I’d like to rate it at a 3.5 more so then a 4 but the ending was so sweet, it made up for t
JD Crittendon
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Sexy Slut & A Grumpy/Tiger = Love!

A random hookup, a mover and a dog are part of the love story for Alex & Rob. A good solid story. I enjoyed the story pacing, the MCs, their chemistry. This was not a 0-60 ‘I Iove you’ romance, which is good in my opinion. I do think the second half of this story was better, and poignant. A good read!
Leelah🍁♋️ Orion
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
This book.... wow it was what I’ve been looking for. I’ve been in a slump with nothing but novellas, and nothing against novellas they have their place I’m just not a novella person so when I stumbled upon this I was excited.

If you aren’t an angst type of person this isn’t a book for you.

There was angst, but not the stupid angst characters tend to have that a conversation could fix. This angst was one the characters had to work through. Had to figure out themselves before they could figure out
Megan
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up

We all wear masks. For some it's being the life of the party to mask the pain or struggles inside. For others it's a mask of indifference or pomposity covering the same things. So it's prudent not to judge solely on those masks. But also not to judge what we do to cope. Rob and Alex are at odds in so many ways but they just might be exactly who the other person needs to break through their pain and to shed the masks.

Slow burn...much, much emphasis on the slow. Well, maybe onl
Sheridan
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
My first book from this author and I enjoyed it.
A very slow burn story (Damn you Rob and your insecurities) filled with heartache, tender moments, grief and an insane amount of chemistry between the two which at times had me yelling “Just go for it”

(ARC)
avid reader 1
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Wonderful, painful and passionate.
I think I have found another author to be on my watch list. I would not have guessed that this is the first publication from this author.
The book is well written; the characters are interesting and well rounded, the relationship is believable, passionate, humorous and yes, at times, painful. The HEA is very satisfying.
I readily envisioned the environment with the author's descriptions. And the secondary characters are as in-depth as needed for their
Amanda at WickedGoodReads
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Neve Wilder came highly recommended. So I signed up for her newsletter, and received these hot AF short stories that made me think hot damn, homegirl can write! So, of course I wanted to read the first full length novel she put out.

Ya'll....Center of Gravity hit all my buttons. For real.

What's this all about? Rob is an older man buuuut considering he is younger than me, I don't want to call him older, so we will say....he's the lower end of mid life....like he can see mid life on the horizon.
BB
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 star is under rating this work of art

God, this story.. Man oh man, I’m still feeling the drying tears on my face while writing this review.

I was going into this book rather blind, just reading the blurb and checked out the rating of my fellow reviewers, without reading the actual review. I’m glad I went into this blind, as this was a new to me author, because there was a chance I would’ve been influenced by other readers.

I love the exceptional writing, the flow of the story and most importantl
Melanie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review

Rating: 5 stars out of 5

For the full review visit https://wp.me/p220KL-eV8

From that review:
Center Of Gravity (Nook Island #1) by Neve Wilder is just what I hope for and rarely find when reading a new author and new contemporary romance.  It's that marvelous, heartwarming story full of just about every  element that grabs at you and compels you to read it!  That once started makes you want to keep going, find out what happens to these men, and dog, and eve
Amy Dufera
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Center of Gravity delivers way more feels than I ever expected, as Neve Wilder does a superb job with this romance.

This story is emotionally charged, full of grief, mourning, tragedy and attraction. Rob is grieving the loss of his father, as he cleans out his dad's house. Alex is one of the moving guys hired to help out, and the two form a friendship, as Rob hires Alex to fix up some things around the house.

And Alex is certainly someone who understands what Rob is experiencing, as Alex's dad is
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Firebird and Other Stories (Beings in Love, #5)
  • Live (Burnside, #1)
  • Tipping the Balance (CalPac Crew, #2)
  • A Man And A Woman (The Lady's Tutor. #1.5)
  • Blackbird Knitting in a Bunny's Lair (Granby Knitting #4)
  • Stranded!
  • Sun-Kissed (Amour et Chocolat, #7; Snow Queen, #2)
  • Snow on the Roof
  • All the Wrong Places (Bluewater Bay, #14)
  • Rented Heart (Rented Heart, #1)
  • In From the Cold (I Spy, #1-3)
  • Be My Handyman (Handyman, #1.1)
  • Cherry Pie (Mercury Rising, #1)
  • The Bones of Our Fathers
  • Controlled Burn (Farm College, #1)
  • Documenting Light
  • Pansies (Spires Universe)
  • Hanging by the Moment
Neve Wilder lives in the southern U.S., where the summers are hot and the winters are...sometimes cold. She is a mom to three rambunctious weebeasts who have joined forces in a mission to carpet the family home with toys and small items that really suck to step on at six in the morning.

She reads promiscuously, across multiple genres, but her favorite stories always contain an element of romance.

Nook Island (2 books)
  • Sightlines (Nook Island, #1.5)