Start by marking “Dear Haiti, Love Alaine” as Want to Read:
Dear Haiti, Love Alaine

Dear Haiti, Love Alaine

Co-written by sisters Maika and Maritza Moulite, and told in epistolary style through letters, articles, emails, and diary entries, this exceptional debut novel captures a sparkling new voice and irrepressible heroine in a celebration of storytelling sure to thrill fans of Nicola Yoon, Ibi Zoboi and Jenna Evans Welch!

When a school presentation goes very wrong, Alaine Beaup
Published September 3rd 2019 by Inkyard Press

Start your review of Dear Haiti, Love Alaine
Kay
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOL. Finally doing this. I absolutely love this book! Easily, easily one of the best books I have read this year and one of the best in terms of Caribbean representation in YA. I love Alaine, who is such a sarcastic, witty narrator, and I love Celeste and the Dad (I forgot the Dad's name but he coo too, LOL).

I love how seamlessly the sisters blend their writing styles. It feels cohesive, as though they were meant to write together their whole lives. Haiti felt like it's own character, from the
Katie B
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
There were two reasons I wanted to read this book. The first being I just really adore the book cover. I was also interested in Haiti as the book setting as it's not one I've come across very often in my fiction reads. I'm happy to say this book is really something special and if you love YA fiction I highly recommend checking it out!

Seventeen-year-old Alaine Beauparlant messed up. She messed up big time. In order not to be expelled from her private school, she agrees to spend the next few month
MissBecka Gee

This book was amazing!!! The plot was well fleshed out and the locations beautifully described.
I loved the different mediums this story was delivered in...
hand written letters, emails, texts, blog posts, news articles & journal entries are just some of the ways they reveal the tale.
Alaine was strong, funny, sarcastic and completely relatable.
A perfect MC.
Much love to Maika & Maritza Moulite for my signed ARC received at BookCon.
If this is your debut...I am so excited to see what else you tw
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Oh man, you guys. I wanted to love this book. I thought it did some great things, which I'll be talking about shortly, but it also came across as a bit of a disorganized mess. DEAR HAITI, LOVE ALAINE sounded so promising. The heroine, Alaine, goes to a private religious school. She's of Haitian heritage, and her mother is a famous reporter known for her looks and her edge. Everything falls apart when her mother assaults a politician on
Drewthereader20
This was such a quick and nice contemporary just what I needed after a few fantasy books! I read half of this book in one sitting and could’ve finished it last night if I wasn’t so rude. But I finished this today and really enjoyed this debut.
More detail review to come!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Obsidian
Jul 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book via NetGalley. This did not affect my rating or review.

"Dear Haiti, Love Alaine" follows seventeen-year-old Haitian American Alaine. Alaine lives in Miami with her father and has a famous mother who is a reporter living in Washington, D.C. Alaine is what I think most people would call "too much." She is definitely intelligent and it seems holds some pain over the fact that her mother is barely around due to her job and late breaking stories. Her actions in this book made my
Tatiana
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tatiana by: ala19

Dear Haiti, Love Alaine had as much promo at the ALA19 as Frankly in Love, and, for me, Moulite sisters' debut was a better fit.

When it comes to contemporary YA, the voice and the POV are everything. I personally have very little interest left in me for cafeteria drama and such. Dear Haiti, Love Alaine offered me something that I hadn't yet seen in YA, and in a package that appeals to me.

Alaine is the only daughter of divorced parents of Haitian descent. Both her parents are wealthy - h
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
This book took me surprise and I loved every second of it. It’s incredibly informative and fun and the fact that it’s an own voices book makes it 10x better! Dear Haiti, Love Alaine is about a Haitian girl who informs us all about the beauties and struggles of her country and family (and it may involve a curse XD .)

description

Overview:

Alaine Beauparlant is the daughter of two very amazingly talented incredible human beings, which of course means she, at the very least, is going to be talented and amazing
Acqua
Dear Haiti, Love Alaine is a contemporary novel following a girl who is the daughter of divorced Haitian immigrants living in the US, and it's set both in the United States and in Haiti.

I am always looking for novels set outside the US, especially ones written by authors who have lived there or have ties with the country they're writing about, because American books, despite being read (translated and not) worldwide, always prioritize the white American perspective. Dear Haiti, Love Alaine was e
Deborah
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: haiti
Sassy, inquisitive, headstrong, and independent Alaine Beauparlant, is the only child of divorced parents. Alaine lives in Miami, Florida with her psychiatrist father, Jules, while her journalist mother, Celeste, hosts the weekly Sunday political program on television in Washington, D.C. Celeste has a fallout on her show and returns to her homeland in Port-au-Prince, Haiti to stay with her twin sister, Elaine Dupont, the Haitian Minister of Tourism and CEO of Patron Pal. After Alaine has an “inc ...more
Katie.dorny
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, favorites
Why are all the books which have sat on my kindle the longest turning out to be my favourite books so far???

This ya contemporary focuses on Alaine, a seventeen year old girl who is sent to spend a couple months in Haiti after an incident at school. Though I have read some reviews which claim the plot is jumpy, I have to respectfully disagree.

The story is told through mixed media which I LOVE and the plot took twists and turns that I didn’t expect and that really elevated this story for me.

Alai
Yesenia Cash
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*insert deep sigh here

Aaaaaaggghhhhh it took me so long to read this because I had to stop and learn about Haiti on youtube. I almost booked my flight there, I love this book it was so magical! Ayiti Cherie You’re now on my travel list! I can’t wait to taste pickliz and griot!
Kaleah
4.5 stars!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I absolutely loved this! I haven't had a reading experience this enjoyable in a while. This YA debut (co-written by sisters!) gave me all the feels, reminding me of Dear Martin. Despite tackling some darker, yet very relevant subject matter, including mental illness, religion, and politics, Alaine had me chuckling every few sentences along the way. Her snark was just naive enough to be received as hilarious as opposed to obnoxious. How could anyone not love this character?
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
Though jumpy, this story tells the story of a young girl's search and connection to her Haitian roots in good fashion. Try the audiobook, which may suit your ears better.

3.5/5
The Nerd Daily
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Nathalie DeFelice

Are you ready to fall into a world of curses, vodou, and Haitian history? Beneath a stunning cover is a cunning and clever protagonist who will have you laughing at the shenanigans, crying at her family circumstances, and grinning with delight at the adventure that Maika and Maritza Moulite bestow upon their readers. This book was a true delight to read, and one of my favourite books that dealt into cultural family relationships
BeesBookHollow ♡
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
Dear Haiti, Love Alaine follows Alaine Beauparlant, a successful student with a promising future who ends up shipped off to Haiti to complete an internship and school assignment about her family’s history.

Throughout her time in Haiti Alaine dives deep into her family tree and reads passages from her mother’s old diary recapping stories that she never knew. Along the way Alaine has to grapple with life changes in her family, a bit of romance from the hot intern Jason, an
Seema Rao
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. It had strong female characters, plenty of atmosphere details, and a good look at complicating people's assumptions about race, immigrancy, and education. I loved how the authors balanced many forms of writing (like texts and assignments). The voice was so strong that you immediately got into the character. And, I read a lot of YA...I hadn't seen one that used a school assignment to such great effect. Overall, this is an exceptional YA story for anyone who loves strong women. ...more
Melanie  Brinkman
Spoken with good or bad intent, words have power.

After Alaine's school presentation goes very, very wrong, she's shipped off to Haiti. There, she will spend time working at a volunteer immersion project. Staying with her aunt and her mother, who's laying low after her own public incident, Alaine will learn about Haiti, her family's history, and perhaps some devastating truths.

A story of understanding the people who mean the most to you. A tale of learning from the past and making the future bett
Laura • lauralovestoread
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a beautiful coming of age type story and I really enjoyed the epistolary style writing. I haven’t read many books that included letters in the text, but while reading it I felt like I was getting a look into a secret diary entry.

Camryn
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can’t tell if this should get four or five stars! I need to just say that I LOVED the first half of this book. It didn’t remind me of the Princess Diaries, but I kept comparing it to that because it’s the only other thing I’ve seen like this. Alaine is SO easy to love. I wish she were my best friend. She is the coolest black girl in the world and I want a whole book just about her first year at college. I love her. I love that she isn’t a goody two shoes and that she gets into trouble and is f ...more
USOM
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Told from mostly emails, reports, articles, newspapers, and notes, Dear Haiti, Love Alaine is a story about making sense of our heritage and family. It's lyrical and what you will fall in love with is Alaine's personality. She is kind, incredibly clever, dramatic, and honest. In the way we can only be when we're writing to others and in our own memories. There's an openness from Alain
Cande
Dear Haiti, Love Alaine is about Alaine (duh) who after presentation trouble (understatement of the year) is sent to Haiti for a new school project. But staying with her aunt and mother sparks Alaine’s curiosity about her family’s history, a history of betrays and injustices, even some family curses (maybe?). As her world starts to change around her, Alaine holds on to these pieces of her history. The past, however, has other plans, and Alaine decides to put an end to this family curse.

I picked
Manasa
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alaine's a Haitian-American teen trying to balance life as a child of divorced parents. When a school presentation goes horribly wrong, she's sent to Haiti and takes on an internship at her aunt's charitable app. While there, she gets deep into a centuries-old family curse and must decide what's worth fighting for. I loved Alaine's character - smart, hilarious, earnest, and brave - and how the text uses her narrative writings as well as emails, text conversations, flyers, etc, which offer a full ...more
Hannah
Aug 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: ya, 2019
This is fantastic and absolutely hilarious. We have needed black heroines like this for far too long. I would have been so happy to have this in high school.
Jess
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
My review of Dear Haiti, Love Alaine is up on my blog now!

laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Trigger Warning: Death, Parent with dementia

After a school presentation goes drastically awry, Alaine is shipped to Haiti to spend quality time with her aunt and her estranged mother, also newly exiled to the country of her birth after her own outburst. But there are secrets in Haiti that Alaine can't help but unravel, secrets that dip into the past and extend into the future. And she's going to find them out.

Where do I start with this review?

There is just soooo much that was packed into this bo
BookOfCinz
Dear Haiti, Love Alaine is the Moulite Sisters' love letter to their dear, dear Haiti and I am happy to hear it won’t be their last because I want more of this!

In Dear Haiti, Love Alaine we are introduced to Alaine, a 17 year old Haitian American living in Miami with her father while her mother works her high profile Television job in DC. Alaine is a confident young lady, she knows exactly what she wants for her future and is willing to work at it. She is sarcastic, funny and rumbustious- no
Emily (emilykatereads)
Reasons you should read this book:

1) The story-telling through letters. This book was really unique with its epistolary style, and it brought Alaine's character to life.

2) You learn some great things about Haiti. I mean, how often do we see books take place in Haiti? Not often. Plus the Haitian-American rep, showing us more about the culture rather than how it's constantly portrayed as just a poor country.

3) So many kick-ass characters. Alaine's mom being a world-known journalist? Her aunt
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I really enjoyed this. It’s well-rounded and has everything: well-developed family relationships, interesting cultural history, delicious food, family curses, mean girls, and a good love interest who doesn’t take over the plot. Alaine is realistic and fun as a narrator; her voice is engaging and though her cleverness gets tiresome and over-the-top, it’s as you’d expect in a teen. Her hopefulness and sorrows make you root for her, and her confidence is refreshing without becoming idealized.

I sti
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
DNF @ 40%
So this wasn't bad at it, it's just the more I read the more I raelized that this wasn't the book I thought it was going to be be and I just started enjoying it less. (view spoiler) And while I love mixed media book formats, the ARC for this one was jumpy and hard to read. But it was wonderful seeing a spotlight on Haiti and Haitian culture -

• The Ungrateful Refugee
  • Reputation
  • How the Light Gets In
  • The Liar's Daughter
  • Grown
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle #1)
  • The Voting Booth
  • Five Midnights
  • Swipe Right for Murder
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

Think you have a lot on your plate? Here’s what this year’s YA characters are facing: murder investigations, unruly superpowers,...
“Never take words lightly...Words make us. They destroy us.” 3 likes
“An unforgivable amount of what needs to be said among family always remains unspoken.” 3 likes