Start by marking “Crown of Coral and Pearl” as Want to Read:

Crown of Coral and Pearl

(Crown of Coral and Pearl #1)

Nor once dreamed of seeing the wondrous wealth and beauty of Ilara, the kingdom that’s ruled her village for as long as anyo
Expected publication: August 27th 2019 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Coral and Pearl, please sign up.
Heather *inhales*

*inhales*

Okay, real talk. I need more. I neeeeed more. This story is not over and I know it! The villain never dies after going down the first time; he always gets back up! It's just a fact. Sami's life is hanging in the balance and his safety is uncertain. There is NO. WAY. on whatever planet this is that Nor is just going to waltz back home to be welcomed with open arms, happily-ever-after. And we know NOTHING about this legendary woman-king. She could be a million more times tyrannical than "you-known-who" ever dreamed of being!

The battle has been won, but not the war. I'm thirsty for more!!!(less)

sandeep
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
4/5 Stars

”I’m the perfect seashell you pick up from the ocean floor, only to turn it over in your hand and see the crack.”

Thank you, NetGalley and Harlequin Australia, for sending me an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review! :)
Candace Robinson
So right away, I really liked the first half of this book. The sister bond was well done and I really connected with Nor.

For me, I kept waiting for the romance to build between Nor and Talin, or take away the romance. I loved their connection at the beginning of the book but then their whole relationship was underdeveloped, which would have been fine, but I kept getting insta love vibes from Nor! Ceren was actually well developed and he was quite the baddy, but I liked him?

The writing was beauti
BookHugger
Jan 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
did i add this to my tbr just because the cover's pretty? no, why would you suggest that?
Tucker
May 26, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
911: 911, what's your emergency?

Me: Yes! I would like to report a robbery.

911: And what has been stolen?

Me: My soul. My soul has been taken by a book cover.

911: ...
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
I was frightened of the person I was becoming: a woman who lied to everyone, who disrespected her parents, who helped her sister injure herself. A woman who would spy on a king.

A woman who would steal a crown.

Right up until the end, I thought this was going to be a 4-star read. Nor was wonderfully smart, the politics were actually interesting, and I loved the premise of the story. But there were three main problems:

1) The romance was absolutely shite.

2) I sympathised with the 'villain' way
Joan He
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
longer review tk BUT GUYS THIS BOOK IS AMAZING (as is Mara) and will delight anyone who loves a good twin relationship, ocean-aesthetics, and complex villains <333
Elly
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! I was fortunate enough to read an early copy, and was immediately entranced by the rich, atmospheric world. Nor and Zadie have one of the most touchingly authentic sister relationships I've ever encountered, and Nor's journey has all the tension, twists, and romance I crave in YA fantasy. Couldn't put this one down!
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Book – Crown of Coral and Pearl
Author – Mara Rutherford
Series – None
Cliffhanger? - No
Publication Date – August 27, 2019
Genre – Fantasy
Rating – 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary copy generously provided by the author through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story

Hmmm…I think the number 1 thing that irked me the most about this book was how much I despised Zadie and the crap that she put Nor through. Which, don’t get me wrong, isn’t a bad thing…it shows how talented an aut
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Official comments: "A tale of intrigue, love, and sisterhood as dazzling as a sunny day at sea, you're sure to be swept away by A CROWN OF CORAL AND PEARL."

Unofficial comments: WOW. Talk about a clever heroine who shows some real grit. I loved every page!
Ashlee » Library In The Country
This cover is beautiful. 🙈
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
The title is meh, but the description has me convinced I need this book in my life!
Lauren
Crown of Coral and Pearl to be released August, 2019
--> I received an ARC through work <--

"I was frightened of the person I was becoming... A woman who would spy on a king.
A woman who would steal a crown."

I have mixed feelings when it comes to this book. On the one hand, I devoured the whole thing in just over 3 days. On the other, I had a few issues with plot points and the romance (beware: insta-love). Overall, this was definitely a 3 star read. Not something I would exactly recom
Luna
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like the author googled basic template for fantasy novel and filled them in with details. If you changed some of the character names, and setting this book is so unemarkable it falls into the category of any fantasy novel.
The writing of this book was very basic, it seemed like a 8th grader wrote it. The plot was so basic and bland with most of the actual action happening through DIALOGUE explaining it happening instead of the reader experiencing it themselves. The writing of this book was
Lisa
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2019
If I were doling out points for this book, I'd give it high marks for keeping me engaged and pulling me through the twists and turns Nor has to manage. I'd also give it a ton of points for its stellar and surprising conclusion (thank the book gods for great standalone fantasies).

But, I'd have to take away points for a instalove romance that I so wanted more from and for a premise that I've read many, many times before (view spoiler)
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

*Thank you so much Inkyard Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review Crown of Coral and Pearl!*

I've been working with Mara on an interview for the blog for the past few weeks, so I was super excited when I was approved on NetGalley for Crown of Coral and Pearl. I blew through this book in two sittings, it was a quick read with an intriguing story line that captured me from page one.

I really loved the bond between Nor and Z
Laurie
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was swept up into the tide of CROWN OF CORAL AND PEARL from the very first page. This fantasy tale of sea-dwelling Nor's arranged marriage to a cruel, mountain-dwelling prince is brimming with palace intrigue, forbidden romance, fantastical creatures and the power of sisterly love. I've a fondness for rich fantasy details, and Nor's ocean home was the perfect antidote to the long Vermont winter and cold spring we're having (the entire village is set completely on the ocean, not connected to la ...more
♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔
this sounds hella awesome and i need it right the fuck now.
Savannah Porter
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-ya
I went into this book not knowing anything about it (I didn't even read the synopsis). And I completely loved it. The story is fascinating: each generation, the princes of Ilara marry the most beautiful girl from an ocean village. But when Nor goes in her sister's place, she discovers the dark secrets of Ilara and finds out that her people are in danger. There's so much more to the plot, and so many characters I grew to love.

I loved the sea aesthetic coupled with a formidable mountain castle. N
mei ✰
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS

First of all, I feel it's necessary to note that the storyline of this novel takes after a lot of it's YA fantasy/romance successors. The romance between our main character Nor and the two royals is very similar to the triangle we see in Red Queen, and the idea of the most beautiful girl being selected from a lower place and being sent to the castle is reminiscent of The Selection.
However, our main character and her twin, Nor and Zadie, had a very interesting and unique dynamic that I
Garan
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mara Rutherford's novel, Crown of Coral and Pearl, is filled with moments that will satisfy all of your fantasy needs. There were many times throughout this novel that things felt familiar to other fantasies that I had read before but there were plenty instances where I was blown away by something fresh and bright.

I love the relationship between Nor and her twin sister. It felt very dynamic and incredibly realistic. I love reading about twins in literature so I was completely excited when I foun
Ana Garza
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This was SO good! I loved the relationship between the sisters and it was a well written, well paced story.

Thank you to NetGalley for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Misstdennis
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EXCUSE ME?

But, this book looks amazing!
I some The Wrath and the Dawn vibes, and I'm okay with this.
Alyson Stone
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fantasy
Book: Crown of Coral and Pearl
Author: Mara Rutherford
Rating: 4 Out of 5 Stars

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher, Inkyard Press, for providing me with this ARC.

I must say that I was very impressed with this book. This is another one that I was only basing on the summary. I mean, the summary sounded good, but sometimes that can be a real let down. The writing is beautiful and the world is amazing. I love the idea of one group living in the ocean and another on land-in the same kin
Marguerite (M)
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating: 3 stars

Crown of Coral and Pearl was a good book that fell short on being a great one.

From the first page, I was pulled in the story of Nor, of Zadie, of their lives on the ocean. The writing was lovely, the world building well shaped, the characters well fleshed and the bond between the two sisters was beautiful. But most of it, I really appreciated Nor and how she was growing up page after page and how her view of beauty was evolving.

But for a book that started with a deep meaning and a
Nicole (FearYourEx)
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5/5 Stars
Thank you to the publisher for the early copy via netgalley.

Nor and her twin sister, Zadie live in Varenia. A small village that has a pact with Ilara a kingdom that rules Varenia. This involves the most beautiful girl being sent to Ilara to marry the heir. Nor and Zadie are twin sisters, but Nor has a scar on her face so she knows her sister will be chosen. Everything changes when Zadie is injured and Nor has to go in her place.

This book was so hard for me to put down, there were so ma
K.A.
Shelves: writer-friends
I was lucky enough to read an early draft of this beautiful book, and I fell right in love with it's characters, story, and world. You are all in for a huge treat. :) I cannot wait for this book to be in the wild!!!!!
Nikki Miller
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an early version of this book and hands down it is one of the most masterful novels I've ever read. The world building = epic. The sister relationship = super authentic. The plot had me on the edge of my seat. I've never read anything quite like this, and I can't wait for the world to fall in love with this extraordinary book!
Anne (The Reading Life)
I received a free copy for an honest review.

This is one of the best books I've read this month, and is a running candidate for one fo the best books I've read this year.

This is one of the best books I've read this month and is a running candidate for one of the best books I've read this year.This book was beautiful, entertaining, and meaningful. It was truly as beautiful was a crown made of pearls and corals. I love so many things about this book, but I'm going to try to make this review more or
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Thank you Harlequin Teen and Inkyard Press for the ARC
Staci Campbell
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read
By Mara Rutherford
5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

"Can you hear the ocean humming? See the blood go sweeping past? The child of the waves is coming. To set our people free at last."

About/Synopsis:

For generations, the princes of Ilara have married the most beautiful maidens from the ocean village of Varenia. But though every girl longs to be chosen as the next princess, the cost of becoming royalty is higher than any of them could ever imagine...

Nor once dreamed of seeing the wondrous wealth a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Rise of the Dragon Moon
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • We are Blood and Thunder
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Untitled
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Midnight Lie
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls
Mara Rutherford began her writing career as a journalist but quickly discovered she far preferred fantasy to reality. Originally from California, Mara has since lived all over the world, from Russia to Peru, along with her Marine-turned-diplomat husband and two sons. A triplet born on Leap Day, Mara holds a Master's degree in Cultural Studies from the University of London and would rather study th ...more

Crown of Coral and Pearl (2 books)
  • Kingdom of Sea and Stone