Start by marking “Jasper & Ollie” as Want to Read:
Jasper & Ollie

Jasper & Ollie

Two funny, unlikely friends--a thoughtful sloth and an impatient fox--make their big debut in this hilarious new picture book celebrating friendship and the wonderful ways in which we're all different.

Best friends Jasper and Ollie decide to go to the pool. On your mark, get set . . . WAIT! As Jasper races ahead--crashing into the mailman, speeding past the ice cream
Published May 28th 2019 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Jasper & Ollie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jasper & Ollie

Start your review of Jasper & Ollie
Lata
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute story of two friends who decide to go to the pool. Jasper the fox gets there super fast, then irritates everyone by asking them if they've seen Ollie. Ollie, meanwhile, being a sloth, ambles his way to the pool.
Rod Brown
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like the slow and thoughtful sloth, Ollie, but the hyperactive and inconsiderate fox dominated the story and got on my nerves quickly. The balance was just off, and the fox went way too far past simple mischief, otherwise this might have been pretty good.
Stacy
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book was a pleasant surprise! Ollie is adorable. I hope these characters are used in a sequel.
Erin
Jun 05, 2019 marked it as read-picture-books
Shelves: a-picture-books
Everyone else thought of Zootopia, too, right?
Tasha
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Jasper and Ollie are best friends. At breakfast, Jasper wants to go to the pool and Ollie agrees. Jasper, the fox, wants to race to get there and runs out of the house. Along the way, he pull on his swimsuit, blows past the mailman who dumps his letters, jumps over a turtle painting a fence, and hustles past the ice cream truck. Now Jasper has to wait for Ollie though. And Ollie, the sloth, has a very different approach. He watches butterflies, smells the flowers, picks up the spilled mail, gets ...more
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jasper the fox and Ollie the sloth are friends and complete opposites. Ollie likes to take his time, while Jasper is impatient and maybe a little hyperactive. When Jasper and Ollie decide to spend a day at the pool, their differences are on full display. Jasper wins the race to the pool, and assumes that Ollie is already there. Meanwhile, the reader sees Ollie taking his time, slowly making his way to the pool. Jasper's antics will have kids in stitches, and they will spend a lot of time looking ...more
Gretchen
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-use
First of all, I have had a LOT of Jaspers in my classroom over the years. Excitement and energy that is so strong they simply can't control it. With Ollie as his best friend though, Jasper is able to occasionally take it down a notch. I think this book would be fun to compare and contrast with the Tortoise and the Hare, with older grades. Also, I really like the split-screen effect to see just how Jasper & Ollie both get to the same place in very different ways. That could be a great mentor ...more
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book was cute. I think children will love tracing Jasper the fox's tracks along the red dotted line and seeing all the mayhem he creates as he is moving around too quickly and not noticing the things around him. I think the message at the end is also a good one for children to learn-- especially in today's busy world. The message was essentially "SLOW DOWN. NOTICE THINGS AND PEOPLE." But it didn't come across as preachy, and it was a fun story.
Lisa Swope
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
"What do you want to do today?" They agree to go to the pool and Jasper challenges his friend Ollie to race there. Except once Jasper wins the race, he can't find Ollie! He's forced to spend his time zipping around the pool vainly calling for his friend.

I should point out that Jasper is a fox and Ollie is a sloth. So the charming real story is friendship and understanding differences.
Brittany Baker
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun story that is perfect for summer. Fox and Sloth are good friends but move at very different speeds. When Fox suggests they race to the pool, side-by-side illustrations show their respective routes and activities until they reunite at the end. The sunny illustrations and funny moments would make it a great read aloud book.
Terisa
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-reads
When reading a picture book, I am always looking for good read aloud's for the library. This is not a book I would read out to a class but I would use it to read out loud one on one. The illustrations are great and very interactive with lots going on that wouldn't be caught in a group read.
This book also highlights that friends can still be friends even if the are different.
Great book!!
Shannon A
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm a lover of sloths from way back so when my kids found this and wanted me to read it with my "funny voices" (different accents and made up silly sound effects), I was all for it.

I should have looked through the book more and paid better attention to the story. Jasper appears to be as overactive as a person who is on medication. Ollie went
Juliana Lee
Jasper and Ollie are friends. Jasper (fox? squirrel?) is extremely fast and he wants to race Ollie (sloth) to the pool. Of course Jasper wins and while he looks and looks for Ollie, Ollie is slowly walking to the pool, taking time to smell the flowers, help a friend paint the fence, buy an ice cream etc. So is it better to be the fastest or the one who takes time to smell the flowers?
Elizabeth
This book is hilarious. I think it's funnier because I have an inside joke with a former coworker about sloths, but the book is still great. The back page with the info about the author is even done creatively and to be funny!
KSS
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Loved this book! I suggested this purchase for our library and definitely don't regret it. I was laughing from the first page to the last one. The illustrations are great and very detailed. I think kids-especially ones who were fans of Zootopia-will love this!
Amy
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have literally read this book over and over to my 5 and 7-year olds! They LOVE it. I love the message it sends about the importance of learning to slow and down and the many benefits of learning to be patient. It is silly and funny and has a wonderful message!
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, as a parent and as a preschool teacher!! The story is very engaging and the illustrations are amazing! My 4-year old daughter and my students love to read it over and over and we see something new each time we do!
Pam
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Jasper the fox and Ollie the sloth are close friends. Jasper races ahead to the pool. Ollie takes his time.
Lots of humor for young readers as they watch the two make their way to the pool on this summer day.
Amanda
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: me-and-ozman
A retelling of the tortoise and the hare, this is the story of a fox and a sloth who are best friends. Follow Jasper as he races his friend to the pool and see what shenanigans ensue.

This was very cute and I enjoyed monitoring Ollie's progress as we saw Jasper bound from place to place.
Anthony
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jasper the Fox and Ollie the Sloth are good friends. They decide to spend the day at the pool. Jasper wants to race to the pool, but Ollie takes his time getting there. Their individual travel and pace to the pool displays a lot about their character and make up.
Miss Ryoko
Cute but wacky drawings
Julie Kirchner
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Just the reminder I needed to slow down.
Curt Bozif
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Delightful little story. Awesome illustrations!
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-2
Unexpectedly cute.
Melissa
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, kids
A good reminder to slow down and enjoy life.
Krissy Neddo
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Like illustrations. Story is okay.
Cyril
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really fun read-aloud, and a big hit with our two-year-old.

• The Sad Little Fact