Start by marking “Who Wet My Pants?” as Want to Read:
Who Wet My Pants?

Who Wet My Pants?

In this hilarious tale of blame, compassion, and forgiveness, a very embarrassed bear is reminded that accidents can happen--but with the support of good friends, life goes on.

Reuben the bear's got donuts for everyone in his scout troop, but his friends are all staring at something else: there's a wet spot on Reuben's pants, and it's in a specific area. "WHO WET MY PANTS?"
Published September 17th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Who Wet My Pants?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Wet My Pants?

Start your review of Who Wet My Pants?
karen
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

on the one hand, this book is adorable and hilarious. on the other hand, it is full of daaaaangerous lessons.

—station break to make clear that i am an adult person reading this book as an adult person, strictly for pleasure and entertainment. if you are looking for intel about this book’s likelihood to delight your wee nuggets, there’s definitely a better review out there for your needs.*—

this is a story about a bear named reuben. he seems like a nice guy at first—a real pal,
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
2 stars.

A silly and absurd story that left me confused.

I don’t know if I missed something or maybe this was trying to be super silly while leaving things up to your imagination. I don’t understand what happened in this book and while it was a cute idea, I wouldn’t recommend it. I wasn’t sure how to explain the ending to my children when they asked if he actually peed his pants or not. Perhaps it’s trying to show kids that we should be kind if someone has an accident? I don’t know. Maybe this
Lisa Vegan
Ages 3-5 and adults? I think 6+ would feel more embarrassment than reassurance at this story, too close to home to be funny for most kids?

If meant for lessening embarrassment or bullying for a wet pants incident not sure it would be useful, especially for the former.

Maybe one to one or in a therapeutic setting?

But not with peers???? Unless paired with a discussion, especially one stressing kindness and empathy and identification.

Cute idea though and the pictures are amusing. The “mystery” was
Tatiana
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
My son found it to be hilarious (and so did I, to a lesser degree), but we are left with an unsolved mystery on our hands. What the hell happened to these damn pants? We flipped through this book over and over trying to pinpoint THE moment they got wet, but to no avail. I am leaning towards the idea that the bear just got sweaty in his butt area. It was a hot day and he walked a lot! (I can personally relate.)

A very unsatisfying mystery, if you ask me...
Jon Nakapalau
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book that lets small children know this is alright - it can happen to anyone.
Olivia
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I bawled my eyes out I was laughing so hard at Bob Shea's "Who Wet My Pants?".

No joke, I seriously needed tissue afterwards!

My co-worker and I read it together when we had a quite moment at the library, and it did not stay quiet for long since we found it to be one of the funniest books we have read all year, and one of the funniest children's books of all time!

The dialogue in the book will be hit or miss with certain age groups, but adults and those with a good sense of humor and comedic timing
Jillian Heise
Denial of own guilt, accusations toward friends, blaming & bribing others...I don't know. Even after reading it again, I feel meh, especially as I'm not sure the final page made sense as the payoff for where the whole story was leading up to. I'm not sure I get what message the story is trying to send, and moreso I'm not sure it's stays consistent - it just didn't work for me.
And, yes, even though it's a bear and not every animal has a full outfit, I am bothered by the fact that the bear
Lisa Marie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Hey, kids! Let's wet our pants, blame others, and live in denial while eating donuts! Quite a missed opportunity.
Woody Chichester
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and silly story about being too embarrassed to admit to something, well, embarrassing that happened. But Reuben the Bear gets through it, with some understanding friends. Also- so many donuts. 5 stars!
Destinee Sutton
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, funny
This is seriously my most anticipated read of 2019...

AND IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT.

I just have to laugh at the reviewers giving this a low rating because the bear is a bad example to kids. Children's literature is full of bad examples for kids (The Cat in the Hat, Max from Where the Wild Things Are, Curious George, I could go on and on). Not every children's book is a morality tale. Sometimes we just need a good laugh.

Still, this is a great book to start a discussion about social and emotional
Julie Hedlund
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very funny, and I have no doubt kids will LOVE this book. For me personally, I think it could have hit the "heart" note a little higher, but it is still a thoroughly enjoyable, light-hearted read with clever twists. Not to mention the best title EVER!
Anthony
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reuben enters the camp grounds with doughnuts for everyone. Then he notices that his pants are wet. While trying to figure out how his pants got wet, he blames everyone else. His friends reassure him that it could happen to anyone, and not to worry about it. But Reuben can't except that answer, so he continues to try and solve the mystery of how his pants got wet. After rehashing his day, he decides to forgive his friends for his pants being wet.
Abigail
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children Embarrassed by Their Own Accidents / Bob Shea & Zachariah OHora Fans
Happily delivering donuts to his camping friends, Reuben the bear is dismayed to discover that someone has wet his pants. Terribly embarrassed, his dismay turns to outrage, as he accuses first one and then the other of his companions of being the one responsible. Remarkably patient, his friends assure him that accidents can happen, but our ursine hero, realizing that the others are not to blame, decides the incident must be the result of defective pants...

Pairing a humorous but sympathetic story
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I thought this book was funny for the most part. It is the perfect book to read out loud and it generates some excellent moments for discussion with young children. Reuben accuses all his friends of wetting his pants, which isn't very nice. He even yells at them. Reuben's friends are kind though and patient as Reuben tries to lay blame on everyone but himself. "Tim didn't wet your pants, Reuben. It was probably just an accident." "It could happen to anyone." His friends are the standout part of ...more
Caroline
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
This book is hilarious. I don't really understand the reviews calling it absurd and silly because I'm nearly positive that's exactly what it's supposed to be. I also thought it was sweet that all of Reuben's friends are trying to be kind and gentle about him wetting his pants. I'm definitely reading this at story time as I think kids will get a kick out of it and won't take it as seriously as some of the adults on Goodreads ;)
Stephanie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I know many people liked this, but I just didn't love it. I kept thinking of Adam Sandler from Billy Madison.
Amanda
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was all over the place and the ending left me saying, "What the what?!" A bare bear! (haha!)

Okay, the ending felt like it totally dropped off and went it nowhere and left the point--whatever it was--totally hanging. The scouting friends were BEYOND kind as the President, oops, I mean the Bear, harangued, harassed, bribed, and bullied them while trying to figure out the "mystery" of the tinkle in the trousers. *sigh*

Some of the animals are topless (haha); some of the animals are bottomless
Katy
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Shea and O'Hora team up for a humorous story about bear in a very embarrassing situation. Reuben jovially joins his fellow scouts bearing doughnuts, but to his dismay has wet his pants somewhere along the way. Told in a dialogue style, Reuben finds a way to blame everyone but himself for his accident. His friends' attempts at compassion are met with blustering blame toward everyone and everything but himself. O'Hora's mixed-media illustrations are spot-on, depicting the discomfort of the ...more
Elizabeth Majka
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spoiler alert!

Sometimes you're busy and don't realize that you wet your own pants. But that's okay, your friends still love you.
Bookish
"All I want is JUSTICE! Justice and dry pants."

Poor Reuben. He tries to do something nice for the troop by bringing them donuts, but none of his scout friends will fess up to having wet Reuben's pants. What's a bear to do?

A lighthearted way to address an awkward -- and common -- occurrence among children. With subtle humor throughout both the text and illustrations, this was a brilliant pairing of creative efforts between Bob Shea and Zachariah OHora.
B
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: miss-becky-s
Such a funny book. I read a galley of the book and will def order for our library. The illustrations are beautifully done and the text is funny. A great read a loud for older kids 1st and up!
Sam Chamblin
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: declan-s-books
This book is so funny!! Declan laughed and laughed telling me he did it. We are introducing potty training to him and books like this take a funny approach to it.

The bear comes back from getting donuts for his friends and someone has wet his pants!! He accuses everyone and it turns into a mystery who could have wet bears pants!!?? We laughed so hard! I had to do the voices for the characters and he giggle.

Kelly K
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, work-reads
I mean...it is a little weird when the donuts touch.
Bethe
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I adore this illustrator, but the story falls a little flat for me. Young readers should identify with the scout leader’s predicament.
Abi Cushman
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So hilarious. And my 5 year old was definitely in on the joke. "No. He wet his pants after drinking all the lemonade." And I think there is actually a good lesson here, which is that embarrassing things happen to everyone, and Reuben's friends handle the situation with grace and kindness, something you hope your kids will emulate when interacting with their own friends.
DaNae
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This is amusing and fairly silly, with an underlying theme of acceptance. I worry that younger readers will struggle with the hilarious denial. Also, I know from experience first and second grader do NOT laugh at wetting your pants. It's all too close to home.
Kirsti
Subtitle: "It's not the crime . . . it's the cover-up."

More hilarity from Bob Shea. Spoiler: Pants-wetting can happen to anyone. Also, doughnuts are tasty.
*JEN the booknerd*
Hilarious.
Alex Richey
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Ok, this made me laugh out loud!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Saturday
  • I Am a Tiger
  • Truman
  • Hey, Water!
Bob Shea has written and illustrated over a dozen picture books including the popular Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and the cult favorite Big Plans illustrated by Lane Smith.

His characters and animations have appeared on Nick Jr, Playhouse Disney and PBS Kids.

Bob spends his days writing, drawing and having “conversations” with NPR.