Start by marking “Call Me by My True Names: The Collected Poems” as Want to Read:
Call Me by My True Names: The Collected Poems

Call Me by My True Names: The Collected Poems

This definitive collection includes more than 100 poems composed over the last forty years. Thich Nhat Hanh's clarity shines forth in Call Me by My True Names, transforming the pain and difficulty of war and exile into a celebration of awareness and the human spirit.
Published January 1st 1996 by Parallax Press (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Call Me by My True Names, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Me by My True Names

Julie
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here is the impermanent
and yet continuously flowing world

And, complicated. . . don't forget complicated world.

These poems, written by Thich Nhat Hanh, are divided up into two sections in this collection: Historical Dimension (written primarily during the '60s, during the war in Vietnam) and Ultimate Dimension (written primarily during the early '70s through the early '90s).

The poems in Historical Dimension are sometimes wonderful, sometimes controversial, sometimes spiritual, sometimes banal.

Th
Maureen
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: buddhism
Thich Nhat Hanh's poetry is known for its haunting, lyrical quality. There can be no better way of conveying a sense of this than by reproducing the title poem here. Very highly recommended.

Please Call Me by My True Names

Don't say that I will depart tomorrow --
even today I am still arriving.

Look deeply: every second I am arriving
to be a bud on a Spring branch,
to be a tiny bird, with still-fragile wings,
learning to sing in my new nest,
to be a caterpillar in the heart of a flower,
to be a j
Helen
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful poems for peace and endurance in the face of insurmountable odds, just the right balm for our times as they were during the Vietnam War.
Shannon
A little intense for me at this moment. in the future I'll find this book again and love it
Nathan
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I've heard this is one of the best TNH books by several close friends. I enjoyed many of the poems but not more than some of his other books. The take away for me is I am still learning to fully appreciate books of poetry, so if you're a poetry lover you may love this book.
Marta Magdalena
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t know that Master wrote poems until I got this book into my hands. They are difficult yet pretty. I love the most the one which starts the same as the title of this book.
Tammy Marie Jacintho
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
As a truly compassionate man, Thich Nhat Hanh acts as bridge between the realm of art and the realm of self. In truth, barriers dissolve and the reader is left to contemplate that essence, that substance we might point to when our gaze turns inward.

What is that tenderness, that resiliency, that churning, that sorrow? It dwells in all of us. And so his poems, which are poems, call us back to each other. There is fierce love in these poems. And, against all odds, there is a real attempt to heal a
Aleksandra
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book I read from end to end, but leave through looking for the right feeling. One feels so humble reading this book, and rightly so. I recommend pg 46 and 72. Some of the poems are very deeply disturbing, because of his experiences. Still haunted, you will return to seek beauty and wisdom in this book. "Every second I am arriving to be a bud on a new branch". This book is filled with hope, combined with horrible truths, it helps me bear reality and not lose idealism.
Melissa
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-and-plays
This was the very first book I read by Thích Nhãt Hanh and I will be reading more. This is not like other poetry books with pretty lines his poetry is raw and powerful. So many of these I had to stop after reading because it was just a lot to take in. Many of the poems are based on things he experienced or saw which makes these poems an emotional read.
Phil
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have always liked Hanh's prose writings about mindfulness and compassion. While I found some of his poems to be a little heavy-handed, overall,the sentiment is what you would expect from him and the poems reinforce his teachings. If not the best poetic tactician, Thich Nhat Hahn is certainly a good messenger and there are quite a few memorable pieces here.
Amy Wise
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thich Nhat Hanh is a Vietnamese Buddhist Monk and this is a collection of his beautiful poetry. Each poem is a window into his soul, his faith, his past and his ancestors. I really recommend this book of beautiful poetry.
Erin
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was looking for a book of poetry to read, something that I could find personal connections with... And his poems are just much more political than I was interested in. It's not that they were not well written; they just weren't interesting to me at the time.
Jo Harp
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
make me incredibly emotional. fabulously evocative.
Sarah Joyce
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"If we kill men, what brothers will we have left? With whom shall we live then?"
Vanessa Quintal
Dec 09, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tnh
Piercing images through those poems help provoke compassion, understanding, love.
Linda Le
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
great selection of poems on days when u need to remind urself to have compassion
Jon
A few very beautiful poems mostly the anti-war ones. But overly teachy in some, Hanh is a monk and his religion and morality is in most of his poems.
Marion
A treasure of insight.
Ivan Granger
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism, poetry
Poetry by the beloved modern master Thich Nhat Hanh, exploring service and suffering, humanity and interbeing, breath and stillness, beauty and bliss.
Lauren

• The Selected Poems of Tu Fu
  • One Robe, One Bowl: The Zen Poetry of Ryōkan
  • Master Dogen's Shobogenzo
  • Archeology of Violence
  • Poems of the Masters: China's Classic Anthology of T'ang and Sung Dynasty Verse
  • No Nature: New and Selected Poems
  • The American Transcendentalists: Essential Writings
  • The Pleasantries of the Incredible Mulla Nasrudin
“Earth will be safe when we feel in us enough safety.” 30 likes
“For Warmth

I hold my face in my two hands.
No, I am not crying.
I hold my face in my two hands
to keep the loneliness warm –
two hands protecting,