Start by marking “Cowboy to the Core (Gold Valley, #6)” as Want to Read:
Cowboy to the Core (Gold Valley, #6)

Cowboy to the Core

(Gold Valley #6)

Gold Valley’s wildest cowboy has finally met his match…

Jamie Dodge is confident she knows everything there is to know about cowboys. She grew up surrounded by them, after all. But somehow her new boss, champion saddle bronc rider Gabe Dalton, and his brand of cowboy charm have her interested in all kinds of things she never has been before.

There are a million reasons Gabe
Published June 18th 2019 by HQN Books

To ask other readers questions about Cowboy to the Core, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cowboy to the Core

Start your review of Cowboy to the Core (Gold Valley, #6)
Esther
ARC provided by NetGalley and Harlequin in exchange for an honest review.

Jamie lost her mother a little after her birth. She was raised by her three older brothers and Father who treated her a "one of the boys". She never had any female influence growing up, so her tendency leaned towards being a tomboy. Jamies also never really felt any sexual interest in a man and she's okay with that knowing the mechanics of it but just thinking she's not as crazed as other about sex.

Jamie had a gift with ho
♥Rachel♥
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jamie Dodge and Gabe Dalton come from two prominent rancher families in Golden Valley, both rancher royalty in their own way. Jamie is the youngest of the Dodge children, and only girl. Through the series, glimpses of Jamie show her to be a tough, feisty sister, not willing to show vulnerability. Her mother died just days after giving birth to her, and she’d swear that you can’t miss what you never had. And yet, I felt Jamie’s loss along with her as her long ignored feelings surface. Especially, ...more
Aou
Same old same old!
Juliana Philippa
(4.5 stars) [ARC Review]
NOTE: updated to 4 stars on 2nd read, because of the same thing I've mentioned when reviewing other Yates books: too much repetition and long-windedness about their emotions, verbally and in their heads. Otherwise great!

This book was SOOOO GOOD!!! This is my second Maisey Yates book, the first one being Unbroken Cowboy (my review), the book before this one in the Gold Valley series. I seem to be on a winning streak with her, and I'm loving it!! I've gotten both of these b
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup. (posting to blog June 20,2019)
Amazon: https://amzn.to/2Y7W57K

You really can't go wrong with Yates. Seriously. You need her cowboys in your life!

The Gist: Gabe needs a horse trainer for his family ranch and Jamie, well, she needs a breather from her own family ranch so signs up to help evaluate and train new horses for Gabe. Simple. Easy. No emotional involvement. Just a job. She is not tempted by cowboys. Not even a little. No, ma'am! ::snort::

I liked Ga
Aly
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rodeo cowboy Gabe Dalton is turning his family's ranch into a sanctuary for retired or abused horses. He hired Jamie Dodge to assit him and lend her expertise working with older animals. Jamie grew up surrounded by men and lost her mom when she was only a few days, dying of complications after her birth. She's prickly, direct, proudly practical and is immune to cowboy charms, so that makes for an interesting but confrontational chemistry with her new boss. As for Gabe, he can handle any type of ...more
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
I had a love/hate relationship with Jamie and Gabe. For the most part, I liked Gabe. He was chivalrous, caring, and pretty straightforward. Then he had to go and screw things up! Jamie though...I really struggled with her abrasive, immature attitude. When the light bulb finally came on for her emotionally, there was a big turn around, however, by then I was worn out with these two! I didn’t buy into the romance either. Everything just seemed imbalanced, but I could see the potential for things t ...more
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
I had a hard time with this story at the beginning. Jamie just came off as too strong and with a chip on her shoulder. As the story progressed, I started to understand some of her attitude. It was actually about a third of the way through the story that I started to really get interested and engaged with the story-line and characters. Both Jamie and Gabe had hard lives. But, that’s what made them who they are today.

Gabe always felt that he had something to prove and felt like he turned out just
Stacee
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't think it's secret that I love all of Maisey's books and I was exceptionally excited for Jamie's story.

I've loved Jamie since the first time we saw her. She seemed skittish and prickly and I couldn't wait to get inside her head. I should have known that underneath the crunchy shell was the start of a marshmallow. I really enjoyed seeing her work through her feelings and grow as much as she did. Gabe was interesting. He's got a good amount of baggage and I would have liked more of his grow
Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)
3.5 stars rounded up

Maisey Yates is my reliable cowboy romance author when I need to get out of a reading slump. I know exactly what I am getting (but sometimes I want to be surprised, hence the 3.5 instead of 4)

I love a good cowboy and Maisey certainly writes them well; its the heroine character that's been bugging me lately: (view spoiler)
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
Finally finished this one. Took me a month. I was into the story then not then back plus life was making this one not as enjoyable. It was ok. I like that we move to a new family in the town.

Full review to come
Rated: 3 Stars
Kay (aka) Miss Bates
To date, there are 19 Copper Ridge romances and this, Cowboy To the Core, sixth in the complementary Gold Valley series. And here I am, having stayed up late to inhale yet another Maisey Yates romance. You’d think, after 25 of an author’s works, I’d be ready to roll my eyes and thrown in the reader bookmark. Nope. If you asked me which are my favourites so far (’cause I know you’re aching to read these, but may not be willing to tackle all 25), I’d say Brokedown Cowboy (Copper Ridge #2), One Nig ...more
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Cowboy to the Core by Maisey Yates is book 6 in the Gold Valley Series. This is the story of Gabe Dalton and Jamie Dodge. I have read the previous book, but feel you can make this a standalone book if you wish to do so.
Gabe was once a redo cowboy star but who is now working on building his horse farm/ranch. Gabe needs a trainer and he wants the best, which leads him to as Jamie to be that trainer. Jamie lost her mother after her birth This left her brothers and fathers to raise her which of cou
Maria Rose
Cowboy to the Core by Maisey Yates is a sexy workplace romance for a tomboy ranch hand and her boss. It’s the sixth story in her western themed Gold Valley series, set in rural Oregon.

Having grown up in an all male household after the death of her mother shortly after her birth, Jamie Dodge has tried to model herself as just another one of the boys to fit in with her older brothers and work on the Dodge family ranch. But she’s realizing that it’s time to branch out. She’s decided she wants to jo
Books and Spoons
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The novel has an apt name, cause once I opened up my mind and heart to the broken protagonists and their growing pains and process, it hit me to the core with the profound emotions and insights their story provides. The feels went from raw, crushed, humbled, to the tender, ardent, and adoration. There are so many subtle life lessons, inspirational moments, thoughts and perspectives to take home on multiple matters. The author didn't give the characters not one easy road out with their personal p ...more
Teresa (Reads_Romance)
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
COWBOY TO THE CORE is absolutely one of the best books I’ve read this year. It has banter, coming of age, swoon worthy-romance, and the characters I have grown to love over the last few books. People always ask me why I enjoy Maisey’s books so much and this story is a prime example. Each story is deep and complex with palpable emotions from each and every character mentioned. Maisey Yates writes some of the most three-dimensional characters I have ever read. Even her secondary characters have de ...more
Kari Hansen
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jamie never knew her mother and she was raised by her overprotective father and three older brother which has resulted in her being a tomboy. On the outside she may appear to be outspoken and abrasive but underneath she is not as confident as she appears.

Gabe has always wanted to manage his father’s ranch, but his father wanted a different life for him. Feeling betrayed by his father when he was a teenager, he left home and became a rodeo star but due to his father’s health he has returned home
Kathleen
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given a book to review by the author.
Maisey Yates gives us another wonderful story from Cold Valley, with her upcoming book. I really enjoyed this book and could relate to heroine of the story because she came from a family of all boys.
Although Jamie did not have a mother, she grew up tough and could do anything her brother's could do on the ranch. They never coddled her or when she fell or was injured, she just picked herself up and kept on going. There was one thing Jamie Dodge knew we
Crystal
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kate Vale
Another Gold Valley novel in which Jamie Dodge, the girl, whose mother died two days after Jamie's birth, starts working for Gabe Dalton when he needs help with the former rodeo horses he wants to rehab for work with children and other non-riders. She knows horses, but does she really know men? She thinks so until how Gabe reacts to her throws her for a loop. But then, how she changes also flummoxes him. She's just not one of those forgettable buckle bunnies he's sepnt so much time with.

Both hav
Autumn Miller ~ autumnbookreads
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
4.25 Stars
*I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I really liked this book. It was a great addition to the series and I had a lot of fun while reading it. I became immersed in the love story between the two characters quickly and I did not want to let go.

Jaime- Jaime was such a strong woman both physically and emotionally. I loved the progression of her character and watching her come to terms with her mother’s death. I admired her a lot and appreciat
Sarah {The Bookish Knitter}
4 Stars

Another enjoyable edition in the Gold Valley series.

I adored Jamie right from the first book, and was so thrilled to see that she was finally getting her own book. I loved that she was a tomboy, and that even though Gabe was used to 'buckle bunnies' who were far from tomboys, he still wanted her and didn't want to change anything about her.

There are a lot of different characters in this story, and for someone who is coming into this book without reading the rest of the series, they may f
Frankie
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am one of those readers that gets annoyed & totally ruins the story for me if there are so many spelling errors & inconsistencies in a story - which this was. It would have been a solid 4 stars if not for that.

I received an ARC of this book by NetGalley and the publisher. The opinions expressed in this review are my own and have not been influenced in any way.

Jessie
I am officially over this series.
No more Maisey Yates cowboy romance for this reader! I've been listening to all of these on audio for the last year or so. I find that I get really sick of the story towards the end and just want it to be over. They have all become predictable. I was actually hoping the girl would not end up with the guy in this one, how badass would of that been?
Julia Kai
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I was waiting for this book. But a quarter of this book is just moaning about Hank being a bad parent and blabla. I was kinda disappointed
Danielle
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mia
Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didnt-finish
I couldn't connect with characters. For one Jamie seemed to have the maturity of a a teenager and Gabe seemed older than his 30s. Their connection feels forced and fast.
Lorrie
I tried to make it through this whole book, I really did. I managed to make it 90% of the way through before throwing in the towel because of all the absurdities. I very nearly quit at about the 20% mark, but managed to slog through until the absolutely ridiculousness of the conflict that the h/H need to resolve before I was all like 'nope, this is trash'.

So let's start with what ALMOST triggered the DNF at the beginning of the book. I don't get what this author's (and many other romance writer'
Nate Brightman
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
In all honesty if I weren’t a devoted Maisey Yates reader I don’t know if I’d have stuck with Cowboy to the Core long enough to get to the good stuff. Tedious is the first word that comes to mind to describe the first part of this book.
Gabe Dalton is 33, a champion rodeo bronco rider like his father, currently taking a sabbatical from the rodeo for reasons we’re entirely unsure of. IMHO at 33 Gabe has serious daddy issues he should be over with. For several early chapters we hear how Gabe’s rela
Donna Repsher
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just when I think that Maisey Yates can't possibly write a book that's better than her last one, she somehow manages to do just that, and she most certainly did so in this sixth and aptly named sicth novel in her Gold Valley series, which, quite simply, both tore my heart out and had me rooting for her two broken leading characters, Gage Dalton and Jamie Dodge. This amazingly moving and addictive novel gets 5 huge stars from this reader.

Jamie Dodge, age 25, is one tough cookie whose life had ba
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• To Tame a Wild Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #7)
  • The Christmas Dare (Twilight, Texas #10)
  • Cowboy Strong (Longhorn Canyon, #7)
  • Cowboy Rebel (Longhorn Canyon, #4)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8)
  • The One Who Stays (Summer Island, #1)
  • Just His Luck (Sterling's Montana #3)
  • Sweet Summer Sunset (Coldwater Texas, #3)
  • Tough Talking Cowboy (Wild Rose Ranch #3)
  • Christmas with a Cowboy (Longhorn Canyon, #5)
  • Santa's on His Way
  • Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • Hard Loving Cowboy (Crossroads Ranch, #3)
  • Snowbound at Christmas (Montana Men, #5.5)
  • Puppy Christmas (Forever Home, #2)
  • Unleashed (Long, Tall Texans #50)
  • Restless Rancher (Wild Rose Ranch #2)
  • Christmas in Winter Valley (Ransom Canyon, #8)
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Maisey Yates lives in rural Oregon with her three children and her husband, whose chiseled jaw and arresting features continue to make her swoon. She feels the epic trek she takes several times a day from her office to her coffee maker is a true example of her pioneer spirit. In 2009, at the age of twenty-three Maisey sold her first book.

Since then

Gold Valley (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Smooth-Talking Cowboy (Gold Valley, #1)
  • Untamed Cowboy (Gold Valley, #2)
  • Good Time Cowboy (Gold Valley, #3)
  • A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas (Gold Valley, #4)
  • Unbroken Cowboy (Gold Valley, #5)
  • Lone Wolf Cowboy (Gold Valley, #7)
  • Cowboy Christmas Redemption (Gold Valley, #8)
  • The Bad Boy of Redemption Ranch (Gold Valley, #9)
  • The Hero of Hope Springs (Gold Valley, #10)
  • The Last Christmas Cowboy (Gold Valley, #11)