Start by marking “Calming the Fearful Mind: A Zen Response to Terrorism” as Want to Read:
Calming the Fearful Mind: A Zen Response to Terrorism

Calming the Fearful Mind: A Zen Response to Terrorism

In Calming the Fearful Mind, Thich Nhat Hanh examines the roots of terrorism and fear, showing how both can be overcome through compassion and an open heart. Teaching that we will only be safe when we acknowledge our real enemies, ignorance and violence, Nhat Hanh offers step-by-step instructions for calming the mind and looking deeply into our own misperceptions. He shows ...more
Published August 17th 2005 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Calming the Fearful Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calming the Fearful Mind

Start your review of Calming the Fearful Mind: A Zen Response to Terrorism
Tif
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
more than ever, this book is so relevant and needs to be read by everyone. i have read a few of Thich Nhat Hanh's books and every one leaves me open to finding compassion for myself and for my fellow man. this book gives me hope despite a very sad state of affairs we are now in and makes me believe it is possible for this world of ours to work together and find a solution to the hatred and anger which seems to be getting worse and worse. i pray we can start to become one before it is too late.
Mike
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
If you've read any of Thich Nhat Hanh's books, parts of this one will seem familiar to you. Hanh's message of mindfulness is so simple that it often seems to need little expanding upon. Yet I find it remarkable that heeding such simple advice can be so difficult for me.

Any of his books is always a welcome nudge back onto the path, or at least near where it begins, and a reminder of the importance of compassion, clarity and patience in my daily life and my dealings with others.
Ido
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of Thich Nhat Hanh I've read and I found it to be an excellent start. I had heard of Mr. Hanh (what *is* the appropriate title for a Buddhist monk?) from a variety of sources but had never read any of his writings until I came across this book at the Montgomery County Library. I tend to be skeptical about how compassion can be such a force to change people (but then I have a very low opinion of human nature - humans, by and large, tend towards the lowest common denominator ...more
Ewa Nowicka
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wish that this book, or even parts of this book, could be required reading for all people. It was published in 2005, and many parts of the book are related to talks given shortly after 9/11. This book is just as relevant now, if not more. Our country is still a place that is steeped in hate and distrust of one another, and if only we could try to be more compassionate in our daily lives, if our leaders could try to listen deeply to one another, I agree, we could work together towards a more pe ...more
Daniel Rickenbach
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Daniel Rickenbach by: http://www.parallax.org/calming-the-f...
Thich Nhat Hanh's way of dealing with life is admirable. It is simple in keeping with his practice of Zen. I think that seeds of truth very important to plant and carefully tend as the sprouts mature. There is likely no single truth, but many, as always the Zen and Buddhist traditions of self-awareness inspire me deeply.

I can be the best version of being in this world. The NOW is of utmost importance, it deserves and requires our undivided attention.
Edgar
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A short read. The title says it all. In every day life we are aware that terrorism can happen. What about the terrorism within ourselves? It's easy enough to be afraid in a world like this where even pollution, politics, and money can be considered terrorists. This book was written post 9/11 when people were hysterical and losing their peace of mind. Read it and wonder how we can ease our fears and further the path toward peaceful living.
Maia Gallagher-siudzinski
The words calm as you read them. Like the rhythm of a good prayer Thich Nhat Hanh's simple metaphors reveal deep truths about the human experience. At times he becomes overly political. However the best passages are not few or far between and they tend to resonated with a deep timeless truth.
Jennifer Ricker
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. I wish more Americans would pick this book up and read it. I wish our entire society would begin working in a direction of healing. I think we would be wonderful examples to the world if we even considered Thich Nhat Hanh's advice!
Lee
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this book a few years ago and found it inspiring and at the same time alarming as our nation pursued a policy of pre-emptive war. Thich Nhat Hanh has such depth of experience through his work with engaged Buddhist resistance to war.
Alicia
Aug 05, 2010 rated it liked it
I did feel zen. I did. It felt like ecstasy. It lasted almost a whole day.
Erica
Aug 05, 2008 added it
I have recently become interested in Thich Nhat Hanh, and bought a few of his books. I will write more about this one once I am further along.

Never really captivated me... never finished.
Marion
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another meaningful book by Thich Nhat Hanh. This one feels particularly relevant and practical right now with his suggestion to respond to terrorism by seeking to understand others.
Melle
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone, especially leaders
Every political leader, from grassroots activists to heads of state, needs to read this book.
Carrie
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
wondering what a liberal response to terrorism would be, this is it. Not the best airplane book though.
Anita
Jul 12, 2019
Bill
rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2008
Terri Gilbert
Apr 30, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit repetitive and naïve in my view. I support the idea of living mindfully. I agree we must not live in fear.
Frank
Antony
Aug 19, 2012
Mike
Sep 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
We should all strive to think and live this way ...
Michael Grassa
Apr 02, 2020
Rachel P
Sep 03, 2020
Maran
May 20, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sorcières : La puissance invaincue des femmes
  • The Fear Factor: How One Emotion Connects Altruists, Psychopaths, and Everyone In-Between
  • Brain Lock: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior
  • The Rainmaker
  • Shōgun
  • The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2.5)
  • The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs
  • Do Over Dogs - Give Your Dog A Second Chance for A First Class Life (Dogwise Training Manual)
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer, #1)
  • La fabrique du viol
  • Archangel's Viper (Guild Hunter, #10)
  • Archangel's Prophecy (Guild Hunter, #11)
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • The Vietnam War: An Intimate History
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)

News & Interviews