Start by marking “The Adventures of Joy Sun Bear: The Blue Amber of Sumatra (The Adventures of Joy Sun Bear #1)” as Want to Read:

Joy Sun Bear spends his days running through the rainforest, eating figs and honey, and teasing his sister. But everything changes when animals escaping the destruction of another forest arrive near his home.

If adjusting to new strangers wasn’t challenging enough, sacred figs go missing and chaos erupts when rumors of a curse begin to spread. To help restore peace in the r
Paperback, 1, 188 pages
Published September 11th 2018 by Joy Sun Bear, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Joy Sun Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Joy Sun Bear

Barbara Ann
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in a series of adventures featuring a bear named Joy. Set in the tropical rainforest of Sumatra, readers are rapidly propelled into a nonstop fantasy adventure. Joy will learn a lot about himself and teach his readers about courage, bravery, and standing up for themselves and others. Joy meets an assortment of magical characters, an exotic bird, a magical frog, orangutans, and a trickster fox to name a few.
Joy teaches readers the importance of family relationships, steward
Ruthye
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Between the fantastic storyline and out of this world illustration you won't be disappointed! Its a great book for kids and adults!!!
Suzie Olsen
I thought this book was a great adventure story, following Joy who is a Sun Bear. He has a quest to complete, and who doesn't enjoy a good quest book? I think the suspense and foreshadowing of the quest are middle grade appropriate, and I think children (in the Middle Grade age) will enjoy reading about Joy. There's some funny lines, and Joy is easy to relate to. The accompanying illustrations enhance the reading experience of this book and feel as bright as Joy. I also really like the learning ...more
Heather Hobbs
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The rainforest is in an uproar. There are no figs on the honored fig tree and humans are destroying the forest leaving animals displaced. Joy befriends Ayu, a young orangutan, hoping to find shelter in a new part of the forest. Ayu left her home quickly, leaving her prized possession, a blue amber, behind. Joy’s attempts to advocate for the new arrivals only causes more problems. With the help of magical creatures, Joy is able to help Ayu’s family and thwart the trickster who has put a spell on ...more
Globe Trottin' Kids
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If this is the first book in a series, we cannot wait to see what's to come! Interesting facts about the plants and animals of Sumatra are cleverly woven throughout this fiction story that explores important issues such as deforestation and refugees. Ideas for taking action as a family or a class are offered in the back of the book, and a kid-friendly website for exploring further is also available. Detailed (and lovable) characters, a suspenseful plot, and colorful illustrations make this book ...more
Frances Evans
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the minute you start reading you're drawn into the storyline! It is an action-packed children's book with a global environmental message. Joy will capture the hearts of young and old with his bravery, and kindness. My 10 year old especially loves the colors of the illustrations, and of course, he loves Joy, too! A must-read for children of all ages and an excellent read-aloud for little ones as well.
Tom Gose
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Adventures of Joy Sun Bear is both endearing and topical. It tells of animals dealing with the de-forestation topic, an issue that raises my ire quickly as is.

It’s a good story, with unique characters and good illustrations that also will teach readers about a topic going on every second world-wide.

Kudos to the author and illustrator.
HANIT BENBASSAT
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous and so moving

The book we all need to read right now! It’s both adventurous and an educational great story. Joy teaches readers the importance of protecting nature. He is such a joyful curios character :-) so much fun.
Very inspiring book for children and adults with vibrant and beautiful illustrations. Highly recommended.
Rebecca
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joy Sun Bear

This book addresses a lot of issues close to my heart. The refugee crisis, the rain forests being a few. It's a book I would want my kids to read for sure. I'm sure there are a lot more books coming up and I can't wait
Niecie
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When choosing a book to read to a special needs group it needs to meet specific criteria for many reasons.

First and foremost it must meet a diverse set of challenges spanning from hearing, cognitive, language, and the children themselves.

Is the message in this book interpretable? Will it be comprehensible and enjoyable? Adaptable to meet mandated standards as well?

“The Adventures of Joy Sun Bear,” (this will sound a bit corny), but “Joy Sun Bear” was a ‘Joy’ to sign, modify, and read!

Watch
Elizabeth Means-Binns
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The Adventures of Joy Sun Bear is such a delight to read for adults and children alike. The illustrations are colorful, powerful and make you smile. Children will love the magical characters who are part of the story with Joy, the Sun Bear. We learn so much about courage, love, and friendship with others who are unlike us. What a journey the little bear takes with his magical friends and foes as well. The relationship he has with his sister is so real; children will relate to them in a big way.
Ginny Kaczmarek
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming, early-middle-grade book perfect for reading at home or for use in the classroom.

Kids will enjoy the combination of well-written adventure, humor, and magic. Parents and teachers will appreciate the gentle lessons about treating oneself, other people (and animals), and the environment with respect, as well as the timely message of compassion toward refugees. I found the writing to be engaging, clever, and thoughtful. The bright, cartoony illustrations every few pages express characte
G P
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my daughter over the course of a week. It follows a bear called Joy who goes on a brave adventure in order to help her friends. Full of magic and colourful characters, this was a very entertaining read which also included some wonderful illustrations. As a parent I especially appreciated the effort that the author has gone to at the books conclusion to include educational information of deforestation and refugees. I look forward to reading more books in this series.
SLF
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Adventures of Joy Sun Bear: The Blue Amber of Sumatra is so well illustrated, fun, exciting, educational and so much more! A great read at any age! The reader is brought into the story from the beginning, and quickly becomes a part of Joy’s adventure and his circle of whimsical friends. The journey is magical, the lessons are abundant, and the education is invaluable. I am looking forward to Joy Sun Bears next adventure!
Louisa Bauman
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read!

Joy Sun Bear feels bad for not being able to help his friend who has been driven out of his home by humans chopping down his forest home. When he walks away, he finds the chance to do something after all, with the help of a few friends he meets and a bit of magic. The Trickster tries to outwit Joy at every turn. Many of the characters can morph into different beings, which can make it tricky to know exactly who is who.
Omied Arvin
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book for a family friend's daughter and decided to read it myself first! It was truthfully a little hard to put down. The characters are very engaging, beautifully drawn and, although the book is written mainly with children as its primary audience, the themes of compassion and openness to other cultures are universal themes for any age to enjoy. Can't recommend highly enough!
Nancy Chambers
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kids environmental story but fun

I really enjoyed reading this to my sons. Both of them understood the messages that were being told, they both also enjoyed the adventure in the story. Fun, educational and very readable.
Susan Quaite
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a well written book. My grandkids (7,8&9) enjoyed it. My grandson really enjoyed the pictures. The wording was simple enough for the new reader to help read and the story held the oldest ones attention.
Liz Lim
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book teaching children about the environment through imagination and fun. It keeps the readers attention to the end.
Page Family