Start by marking “Rizpah” as Want to Read:
Rizpah

Rizpah

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This novel, set thousands of years ago, tells of the life-and-death struggles of Israel in the turbulent days when it was guided by the prophecies of Samuel and led by the anointed king, Saul.

The power of the story is matched by the depth and vigor of the telling. Moving against the background of epic events is the fascinating heroine - Rizpah - her wit, her loveliness, h
535 pages
Published 1961 by Simon and Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Rizpah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rizpah

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
The author with remarkable insight and imagination has recreated the great story of the times when Israel was guided by the prophecies of Samuel and led by the anointed King Saul,in it's mortal struggle with the Philistines.Set against this background of epic events we are introduced to a fascinating Heroine. Rizpah,her wit,her loveliness,her gift for loving marking her as a woman born to be at the centre of life.She truly brought this story to life. At only fifteen when her parents are killed b ...more
Gary
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A finely written novel which is absorbing and at the same time philosophical about the beautiful Israelite woman Rizpah mentioned in the Bible as the concubine of King Saul, and later as the women who mourned at the site of her sons who were hung by David, at the sanctuary of Gibeah, for several months refusing to leave their side until David agreed to give them a solemn burial.
This book gives us a fascinating portrait of Ancient Israel at the time of Saul.
The author takes the few passages that
Teryl
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Such a different view of the bible. I remember that the book was based on a line from the bible "Saul had a concubine and her name was Rizpah" She was an amazing woman in the book, with great power and great weakness. Certainly one of my early favourites in terms of historical romance.
Mariah
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Very good book about the time of Saul and David in the old testament. Written from the perspective of a philistine, therefore the things of god are represented by a non believer and appear as things of man instead.
Linda
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Historical fiction - about the concubine to King Saul.
Anne
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I read this book years ago and remember it with fondness. a terrific Bible story set into a fictional historical book.
Gary
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The author takes the few passages that
Megan
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The writing was fantastic and kept me reading without getting bored, despite it being over 500 pages. The story line was gripping. My major problem with the book was that I felt it did not portray David the King biblically. It made him seem power hungry, which is not found in Scripture. But for learning more about the Philistine culture, ancient Israelites and history of the first Kings of Israel, I think I learned alot and enjoyed this book quite a bit.
Judy
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fic-historical
The book kept my attention ... and I read it twice. But then I got rid of it. I don't like cruelty.
Desireebloxam