Start by marking “The Boys, Volume 3: Good For The Soul” as Want to Read:
The Boys, Volume 3: Good For The Soul

The Boys, Volume 3: Good For The Soul

(The Boys Collected Editions #3)

In a world where costumed heroes soar through the sky and masked vigilantes prowl the night, someone's got to make sure the "supes" don't get out of line. And someone will. Billy Butcher, Wee Hughies, Mother's Milk, The Frenchman and the Female are The Boys: a CIA-backed team of very dangerous people, each one dedicated to the struggle against the most dangerous force on ...more
Pasta blanda, 192 pages
Published October 1st 2008 by Dynamite Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about The Boys, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boys, Volume 3

Start your review of The Boys, Volume 3: Good For The Soul
Anne
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

This is continuing to be a great story and I'm definitely excited for more.

description

Hugie finds about a bit more about the beginnings of The Seven and Vought American, and Annie starts to doubt her faith in God.
As a couple, they have one of the better, funnier, maybe more realistic, sex moments I've read in a comic. Worth reading for that alone.
(view spoiler)

I like the comic book angle of this world, too. Using the issues as pro-superhero propaganda that spin a darker truth?
mark monday
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comicon
Ennis continues his obsession with shit in this 3rd installment of his vindictive parody. the underground team known as "The Boys" continues to keep a watch on various super-powered groups like "Teenage Kix" and "The Seven". mysteries are deepened, some questions are answered but more are not, a slain character comes back as a revolting zombie, the most enjoyable character - the naïve heroine Starlight - continues to evolve, there's a slice of graphic hate sex for a couple of characters, and ...more
David Schaafsma
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ennis continues his send up of superhero comics in this the third volume of The Boys (A CIA-backed group monitoring the supes), with two basic storylines: Some back story by Billy Butcher told to Wee Hughie about the Vought Corporaation’s support for the Superhero group The Seven who botched a rescue attempt of a plane during 9-11. Yes, it’s that nasty. Billy is a kind of a twisted Stan Lee parody, who has his own personal reasons for resentment against the supes especially after supporting them ...more
L. McCoy
I wasn’t sure if I was gonna continue this series after q very disappointing second volume. However I decided if I really like the first book in a series but really dislike the second, I should try the third, give it another shot. Also the TV show looks pretty bad-ass!
I’m really glad I gave it another try!

What’s it about?
Hughie finds out more things about how the world works and deals with the results of the events of volume 2. Starlight struggles with her faith and life as a superhero in
Cheese
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loving the tv show and loads of Easter eggs from this comic on it. Love what they’ve done so far.
Ill D
May 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Dum(b)-Dum(b)s
When did Garth Ennis become a Soap Opera author?
Gavin
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Third volume into this great series, and nothing yet makes me want to stop reading. This one has a lot more about the characters, history, and background info that led us to where things sit here: a sort of Cold War stalemate between the Seven (Think JLA) and the Boys. Hughie gets more ink than anyone else, and I think that's a great idea because he's easily the one that most can relate with.
We get a glimpse into the history of Vought-American, the uber-corporation that supports (and more) the
Jesse A
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Still a fun series. 3.5 stars.
Christopher (Donut)
I consider this the best installment so far. The formula is: put Watchmen and Planetary in a blender, add several pounds of f---s and c---s, and several cups of degradation (sex and violence, and not always separately), garnish with "underground" flair.

I'm starting to like it, and that bothers me.
Stewart Tame
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I swear, sometimes it seems as though this book would more accurately be titled Wee Hughie, Co-Starring the Boys. I'm not really complaining, mind you. He's the New Guy, and gives us an outsider's perspective on the team. It gives Butcher and/or Mother's Milk someone to explain things to without sounding too exposition-y. In any case, this volume is decidedly Hughie-centric as he deals with his guilt over Blarney Cock's death, makes progress in his relationship with Annie, and gets filled in on ...more
Chris Greensmith
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: the-boys
"THE INFINITY DEBATE" Much better than volume 2, the last 3 issues really fleshed out the back story and now I feel the writers have the rest of the series planned out and know where they are going. The crassness of it has been toned down too so doesn't seem so forced and can be a bit more hard hitting. I feel the the pieces are now in place for this to really begin. Still missing Little Nina though...3 ...more
Stephen
Mar 03, 2010 rated it liked it
3.0 stars. This is the third volume of this ground-breaking series by Garth Ennis. For the most part, I thought the story-line was just okay and the sex and violence seemed to be a bit more pointless than in the previous two volumes. That said, the infamous 9/11 tie in plot-line in the last story arc was gutsy and very well done. Apart from that, this would have gotten two stars.
Mike
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
This time around we're getting to know everyone - the characters, the supes, the world and even the Stan Lee-on-testosterone parody. I really like this kind of writing by Ennis - gives the story and characters a chance to breathe, lets us take a closer look and understand why these crazies did or will do what they do.

I'm thrilled we're getting some details (finally!) about the Vought-American Corp and the supes they funded, and Ennis has a hilarious take on how they intervene in the 9-11 fiasco.
Jason
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
This volume has some real nasty scenes, all I can say is poor poor Hughie, that's not what you want to wake up to. Haha

Some interesting concepts in this issue, which is mainly focused on giving you some background on the boys and the seven. Alternate reality stuff on 9/11 was really messed up. Why are super heroes so dumb?

On to volume 4!
TJ Shelby
Oct 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Guilty pleasure...or maybe sick obsession is a better explanation. As with all Garth Ennis books, I cannot with good conscience recommend them to anyone.
Tundextra
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: darkfantasy
Another volume of two halves...
The first half sees Hughie tasked with his first ever solo mission - wili he make the grade? He also sees more of Annie who is looking at her life before and after joining The Seven, and asking herself who she is.
The second half is a comic writing masterpiece as Ennis juxtaposes The Boys/Vought Americans history over are reality to create a thoroughly convincing alternate timeline that unquestionably calls out the American Military-Industrial complex. Alongside t
Mohamed Ahmed
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
i can say that this series starts to grow on me, and i start to enjoy reading it away from the TV.
the story is much different with many Easter eggs.
in this vol there is 2 story arcs
1st is good for the soul. it spots on Hughie and Annie's 2nd meeting and the start of their relationship, and hughie with an old problem comes to hunt him.
2nd is I tell you no lie GI. the origin of Vought-american.
both arcs was really good, and the art remains not to my liking but i start to get used to it.
Jim Gorman
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
David Dalton
There is no way in the world I am going to miss Amazon TVs version of The Boys. Sometime the end of this month I am sure. Each issue is getting weirder and graphic. How much of this will transtition to the Amazon Prime series? I know it is cable, but that is asking a lot. I think I have access to 3 more Volumes thanks to my Comixology Unlimited subscription.
Steven
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
So after the head-explodingly engaging ending the Volume 2: Get Some, how does Garth Ennis continue the story of the Boys and their neverending quest to keep dipshit superheroes in line?

By diverting to a more low-key level of course.

Okay so Good for the Soul is divided into two separate story arcs, each one operating as something of a down-time for the characters of the previous arcs. It allows some moments for the Boys to explore elements of their characters and also gives some time for the
Brent
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of our man Garth
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators
Shelves: comics, fiction, superhero
Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson amp up human and superhuman elements in this series and Wee Huey, one protagonist. You have to like and acknowledge Ennis extreme humor to appreciate this stuff. TV deal, hey? I'm curious about the rest.
Patrick
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Why might I warn people away from the series? For the same reason they might find any of Ennis's work off-putting: Graphic ultraviolence. Graphic sex. Perversity. The usual.

That said, in some of Ennis's books, (Preacher, for example) the depictions of sex and violence sometimes (bordering on regularly) feel gratuitous.

I never felt that way with The Boys. Yes, it was over-the-top a lot of times, but it always felt fitting to the story being told.

(Continued in book four.)
Gav451
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now this is why you read Garth Ennis books. A sublime read and it makes me wonder why volume 2 was such a misstep.

There is a lot of history and exposition in this book but so deftly handled that it is honestly fascinating. Tonally it is perfect and all of the reservations I have with volume 2 were not here. There was still edgy language and moments that were adult in nature but they were relevant and consistent with the story. Nothing felt unnecessary.

The back story is a cracker and I do not
Alain Gutierrez
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Entertaining comic as always but Garth Ennis gets a little too wordy and way into politics, which can be interesting at times, but overall much too confusing. At points I was lost and had to re read certain sections just because I forgot what the plot of said issue was. Still a fine read nonetheless
Jayme
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These are great. Disgusting. Hilarious. And just...so fun.
Carol
Sweet but also dark, disgusting and very funny.
Donald Armfield
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A little bit of the origins of The Seven. Including the Airplane Scene. Totally different compared to the TV Series. Blood, Guts and Gore.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
I wasn't sure what I was expecting from this series. But wow is this a weird series. From the characters, their arcs and that art style. And yet I want to know what happens next.
Krishnakumar Mohanasundaram
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This volume throws insight into the superheroes of the 'boys' world... Their origin... Their ugly secrets.. etc etc..

A pucca convincing back ground storyline..
Michael Hitchcock

• Incorruptible, Vol. 4
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 4
  • Hellblazer, Volume 1: Original Sins
  • Incorruptible, Vol. 1
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ...more

The Boys Collected Editions (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Boys, Volume 1: The Name of the Game
  • The Boys, Volume 8: Highland Laddie
  • The Boys, Volume 9: The Big Ride
  • The Boys, Volume 10: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
  • The Boys, Volume 11: Over the Hills with the Swords of a Thousand Men
“Folks love fantasy. Beasts the shit outta reality and day of the week.” 1 likes
“Well if I ever stick a cape on an' start usin' ordinary human bein's to wipe me arse with, you'll know you were right to worry, won't you?” 0 likes