Start by marking “The Peculiar Pig” as Want to Read:
The Peculiar Pig

The Peculiar Pig

The sweet, funny story of a dachshund puppy who learns it is fine to be different from her piglet siblings.

There was a different sort of piglet in the pigpen one cool spring morning.

That "different" one is named Penny, and she's really not a piglet at all . . . she's a puppy. A puppy who gets longer and longer as her piglet siblings get bigger and bigger. Penny doesn't
Published June 18th 2019 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Peculiar Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Peculiar Pig

Start your review of The Peculiar Pig
Ben Truong
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Peculiar Pig is a children's picture book written and illustrated by Joy Steuerwald, which stars a Mother Pig with her seven piglets one of which is rather peculiar and different.

The text is rather simplistic and straightforward. It is a wonderful allegoric story about unconditional love, bullying, adoption, and individuality told in a gently manner. The illustrations are hand-drawn and digitally pained are expressive and distinct with a nice balance between cartoon and realism.

The premise
Sabrina
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Is this an original story about being yourself and that you are awesome the way you are? No.

BUT the illustrations are so darn cute. I mean the main characters are piglets and a puppy so how can you not read it, amiright?

I was laughing longer than I'd like to admit because the chubbiest piglet was named Rolly, so there is that.

Picture books are just the best, guys.
KDV
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
These pigs are SO CUTE. The classic illustrations are very appealing. The story is good enough - not very original but who cares when the pigs and puppy are so adorable. I don't like the vilification of snakes but I'm willing to let it slide!
Faith
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cute happy picture book, fun illustrations
Garrett
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
Story was okay...how did they not know what a snake is called? The art was amazing, though.
KC
A puppy and piglets become a family
Beverly
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-dogs
A sweet and adorable story; perhaps a metaphor for adoption. Appealing and adorable illustrations.
BookTrib.com
Feeling like the odd one out in a bunch is the pits. It takes time and exposure to grow confidence with yourself as an individual and take pride in the attributes that make you unique. Children blatantly lack both time and exposure, so helping to nurture qualities of self-confidence and acceptance is crucial for parents. Luckily, Joy Steuerwald has written and illustrated an adorable story to demonstrate that our differences are not qualities that should be viewed as embarrassing, they are ...more
Tasha
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Penny is an unusual pig, since shes actually a dachshund puppy. She doesnt get bigger like her pig siblings, instead she gets longer. Shes different in other ways too, like her bark compared to their oinks. But her mother pig loves her just the same as her litter mates. When the piglets root in the mud, Penny digs with her paws instead. Penny also prefers to practice her barking instead of playing in mud puddles. Her piglet siblings teased her about how different she is, but Penny just kept ...more
Karen
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oink, oink, woof, oink, oink. Wait. What? A dachshund puppy has found her way into the pigpen. Everything about her is different from her piglet brothers and sisters, but mama pig assures her that she loves all of her babies the same. The other little ones marvel at her unique approach to things like digging. Who digs with their feet? But Penny the pup stands her ground without rebuke. One day something else creeps into the pen, a snake. It is pennys yips and growls that drive the threat away. ...more
Amy
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book didn't quite accomplish for me and my children what it may have intended. My 2 youngest children are adopted and are a different ethnicity than my husband and I. Something that has been so important to our family is recognizing and celebrating all the unique things that make us different and special. It has also been so important to us to include their birth families...especially birth parents...in their lives. So in reading this story, I was bothered that the mother pig neglected to ...more
Mimi ♡
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
WHY DID I READ THIS? A cute little puppy and pigs were on the cover.
PLOT 4/5
ART 4/5

Penny isnt like her siblings, but her mama loves her all the same. They notice Penny doesnt dig with her snout like they do, or oink, and she can run really fast. While running around the pigs and Penny are surprised by a snake, but Penny is able to growl at the snake and scare him away. The pigs celebrate Penny for saving them and notice how Penny being peculiar is a good thing.

I liked that the pigs were not
Prince William Public Libraries
This is one of the cutest books. I love the illustrations, but I'm forever irked by children's books about being different that involve the "different" character having to prove their worth to avoid chastisement, but alas. I'm also a sap when it comes to precious puppy stories.

A little puppy, Penny, is raised by a pig. She has pig siblings, but they don't really "get" her because she's different. Penny's pig-mom, however, loves her despite obvious differences (perhaps an adoption metaphor?)
Peacegal
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A family of pigs living in a fantasy barnyard have one unusual little sister. In fact, she looks a lot like a dachshund.

This book is simply adorable. The illustrations of the pigs and puppy are so sweet. It's always nice to see pigs depicted in a positive way--they really aren't that different from dogs after all! I hope that as readers are charmed by the cute pigs in this book and others like it and want to treat these intelligent and amazing animals better.
Lisa
Jul 16, 2019 added it
Penny is quite different from her pig siblings. Although Mama Pig loves the little dachshund as much as the others, the piglets find Penny very peculiar. To the piglets' surprise, it turns out that peculiar saves the day. This is a sweet book with a lesson about how differences can be strengths. The illustrations are charming.
Meg
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A cute story that my colleague pointed out *could* have been based on true events? (Same colleague also pointed out that snakes don't have ears-- a solid observation...)

A nice story about being different, but not particularly memorable on its own. Maybe a good read-alike for fans of Gaston/Antoinette.
Abby Johnson
Cutey cute cute. This is a fun addition to a farm theme or a families theme. Penny is a piglet unlike the other piglets (young listeners and readers will immediately identify that she is a puppy!), but Mama Pig loves her just the same. Pair this one with LITTLE PINK PUP by Johanna Kerby for a story about a family of puppies with one piglet accepted just as he is.
Jessica Furtado
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This tale is nothing revolutionary, but still a very sweet story of family and acceptance. The illustrations are bright and adorably rendered. Recommended for Pre-K storytimes and cozy one-on-one reading.
Rebecca Gordon
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Differences are celebrated on this farm. Mama Pig has one piglet who stands out from all the rest. But, this story will show that what makes you unique is what gives you power. Great to share with students learning about differences and the power of perspective.
Robin
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute, but slight, interspecies adoption story. Felt timeless in both good and bad ways [this could have been written 30 years ago (yay!) and this could have been written 30 years ago (meh)]. Ages 3-5.
John
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: addyvi
I like this book because it's about the way you look: its message is "it doesn't matter how you look, it just matters about how you treat other people." Actually, its message is about helping friends.
The Library Lady
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet. Grownups will love (probably all too well) the messages about that which is different, family love, adoption, etc. Kids will just giggle at the dachshund puppy among a brood of piglets, and the satisfying ending.
Tompkins County Public Library Youth Services
Could these pigs be any cuter?! This lovely picture book feels classic in all the right ways. I love the illustrations, I love how Penny fits in to her funny little family. You can tell this book will find a lot of readers and be as beloved as Penny herself!
Ali Book&Seaglasshunter
Cutesy story about being different and feeling like you belong. A dachshund puppy is raised in a family of piglets, and she feels bad about being different. Her mother loves her just how she is, but she doesnt fit in with her siblings. One day the puppys unique talents come to be appreciated by all, as she saves her siblings. Very cute and cuddly illustrations.
Im a little tired of stories where the character who is different has to prove their worth with a heroic feat that finally has them
Edward Sullivan
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet, appealingly illustrated story about a puppy among piglets.
Kathryn
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Super cute and I loved the illustrations.made me smile all the way through
Lindsey
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
So cute!
Alida
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When will we truly understand such a simple message? Everybody is peculiar in their own perfect way.
Kaitlyn
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK!
Jacki
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Loved the art, story needed more.

• The Scarecrow
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • My Brother the Duck
  • Snack Attack!
  • The Box Turtle
  • Swim Swim Sink
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Truman