Start by marking “Odyssey (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #1)” as Want to Read:
Odyssey (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #1)

Odyssey

(Isaac Asimov's Robot City #1)

A man without memory, stranded on an icy asteroid. His only chance for survival is locked within a band of mining robots who are dutifully searching the surface for a mysterious object known as the Key to Perihelion. His name is Derec. His journey will take him to a city different from any he has ever known. A fantastic metropolis beyond his dreams: Robot City.
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published June 25th 2004 by I Books (first published 1987)

Start your review of Odyssey (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #1)
Stephanie Ricker
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm going to review the first three books of Robot City here, since my complaints are the same for all of them.

I inherited the first three books of the series when I got married, and both my husband and I had assumed that these were actually by Isaac Asimov. NOT SO. Asimov writes the intros, and the stories are very, very loosely set in his universe, but that's it. I was still prepared to enjoy the series...until I realized the quality was terrible.

In all fairness to the authors, a lot of the f
Tiffiny
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, sci-fi
MAJOR cliffhanger - be prepared to start the next book right away
Adrian
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not quite Asimov but enjoyable none the less.
For some unknown reason I was reminded of the Perry Rhodan (?) books I read over 40 years ago. Now I'm not saying it's as "Space Opera" as they were but for some reason they sprang to mind. Will know more after the next "episode".
Jay Mishra
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
A perversion of Isaac Asimov's legacy and ideology, in my opinion. The cliffhanger ending, and 7 part novel (none of which can give a clear picture) in addition with countless plot twists and deviations from Asimov's universe have frustrated me to the hilt. The foreword by Asimov himself made it clear that he has green lit the project, and yet when I see the final result, I can't help draw a comparison between this one and the countless Robot novels written by the legend. Needless to say, this o ...more
Michael
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Loved this series. Different authors for each book, too, which was neat. Introduced the reader to different styles while maintaining the plot/storyline.
Dark-Draco
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My copy actually contains volume 1 and 2, although the cover and ISBN are the same as the one shown.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this, having never read the original books by Asimov, or anything by the authors, but I was pleasantly surprised.

In 'Odyssey', a man wakes up in a life-pod on a asteroid, with no memory of who he is or how he got there. He is rescued by a group of robots that are searching the rock for something, but who won't help him leave. Then they are attacked by an alien spa
Thomas
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kube-McDowell, Michael. Odyssey. Isaac Asimov’s Robot City No. 1. Ace, 1987.
In the late 1980s, franchised out part of his robot universe to a group of six young writers. This first novel in the series has an open ending that hands off to the writer doing the second installment. To get the whole story, you need to be familiar with Asimov’s originals and with the whole sequence of novels in the series. Asimov introduces each novel and explains what he thinks it adds to his original ideas. We begin
Dave Warawa
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Respecting the incredible role of Issac Asimov in pioneering science-fiction, I found this to be a slow paced book. Perhaps I’ve read my fair share of him. Much of his work was done in a far earlier time, when the realm of imagination was much different.
Dev Sodagar
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I struggled to really see what this story was trying to achieve. It felt a little too generic for my tastes.
Goran
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
New take on "old school" SF. Good but not great.
Logan Streondj
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: robot
Awesome, finally worlds where robots are the majority and have at least some autonomy.
Caleb
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
i liked it a lot
Scott Holstad
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, isaac-asimov
This is an interesting beginning to a series commissioned by Asimov's publisher and with his permission. Indeed, he writes the forward. Of course, the Three Laws of Robotics are in full force here.

A man, who goes by the name of Derec, which is found on the front of his shirt, wakes up on an asteroid with severe amnesia. He has no idea who he is, where he's from, where he was going, who his family is, what planet he's from, what his work is, etc. All he knows is that he's surrounded by robots. Ma
Jacqueline
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Slow paced book - should I read the next one?
David Erickson
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this novel is written quite like Asimov it was written by two authors under Asimov’s guidance, with a forward and a mid-novel commentary by Asimov.

This is quite a story. It begins with a young man, Derec, waking in a survival pod on a frozen asteroid, not knowing who he is or where he is. His personal history is a blank slate, yet he retains his technical knowledge. It ends with Derec saving Robot City from an out-of-control defense system. What happens in between, of course, is the real s
S.G. Rainbolt
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a reprint by a company no longer in business (ibooks.com) and part of a book series. I was surprised about this series. I enjoyed "I, Robot" from Isaac Asimov so gave this a try. Though the book is entirely about robots and one stranded human adventure through their robot created world, it was actually quite good. As a reader, I felt I could relate to Derec and because of that I followed through to the end. Asimov's Robot world has spawned entire generations of robot writers. This book ...more
Dane Peterson
It was okay. It really is just a setup for the next book, which I may have read if that was the end of the tale, but it looks like there are many more after that. And like many others have said, putting Asimov's name in big letters on the cover is a bit misleading.

I think the point for the series was for different authors to play in "Asimov's sandbox", using the 3 laws of robotics. There were a few such instances in this book, but I didn't think they were crucial to the story. It was just a way
Alex
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The good:
- Some plot points that genuinely revolve around robots and the Laws
- Gripping pace
- Places from the original Asimov universe. I though this would be a fresh start using the Laws elsewhere
- Nice realistic touches of current computer tech that are not dumbed down

The bad (spoilerish, beware):
- Not one, not two, not three, but four alien races! broke my suspension of disbelief.
- The series of adventures seem a bit of an excuse on top of the McGuffin. I would have liked more discussion of t
Brian Mathieu
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who digs reading about people trying to outwit Asimov's robots with the Three Laws.
Shelves: sci-fi
Pretty good read. It's set in Asimov's Robot universe, but it's different than the sci-fi-gumshoe classic Robot series (although those are pretty good too). This is one of those books where you're sympathizing with the protagonist who's trying to figure out just what the hell is going on through the entire story. Not much resolution at the end, because it's meant to be just the first book in the series.
James Somahkawahho
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Isaac Asmimov novel. The story takes place thousands of years ago on a planet that is being developed by robots and humans. A human is killed. The main character is called on to investigate the death of that human on a planet that is supposed to be a place that is "human accident proof". In other words, the infrastructure of the planet is design so that no harm can come to humans. Mystery, sci-fi and the laws of robotics. Read this book!
Jeremiah Johnson
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book to start off this series. That being said, don't read it unless you want to get invested in the series as the story is left completely open at the end and nothing is resolved.
Following Darec along as he tries to discover what has happened to himself was a lot of fun.
It was a very quick read and I highly recommend it to anyone that loves Asimov's universe.
Anita
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Great story of mystery and robots. There is no conclusion to the story with this book, but having been hooked since page 1, I'll be reading the rest of the series.

Isaac Asimov introduces the series telling us that he has set down guidelines for it. I'm happy to find that this book does follow in the great tradition of robot stories that he began.
Marcus Johnston
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
The author spends most of the book talking about robots... and not much else. The plot is conveniently forgotten most of the time, and when it does get interesting for about 50 pages, they reach Robot City and... well, that's the end. No resolution, just setup for a series of books, that frankly, I had no interest in reading.
Paul Gosselin
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
While this is not a bad sci-fi novel, it IS misrepresentation to let potential buyers think it was written by Isaac Asimov. The only thing he wrote in this book is a brief and not so useful introduction. Asimov's real function here seems to have been "writing coach". All this gives the impression the reason why Asimov's name was put in big letters on the cover was to bump up sales...
Ted Cuevas
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I thought this was a great story. I particularly like the way the Three Laws of Robotics are always presented in a difficult challenge for the characters to work with the robots. I have always loved these stories.
Daniel
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I read all five of the Robot City arc as a set, so the whole story kind of blends together for me. But I think that this book was probably the strongest. I liked the extrapolation he made of the Spacer society, even if the science didn't quite seem as well realised as Asimov's own.
Gary Barrentine
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book about Isaac Asimov's three rules of robotics.
Mark Baller
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Robot city first book - how they are so good I dont know but all Robot citys are good!
Ana
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give it five stars, but I only "really liked it". Very simple, easy and yet well written story
I'm definitely gonna buy the next ones.
Patrick Scheele
What a disappointment! The story started off so well (after a pompous foreword by Asimov himself). The chapters that take place on the asteroid have a strong Asimov feel to them. The hero tries to figure out what's going on by talking to robots and observing them in action and he eventually figures out that these robots are digging through the whole asteroid (view spoiler).

But then, things turn space opera. And not in a good way. Suddenly, Asimov's Robots a

• Suspicion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #2)
  • Cyborg (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #3)
  • Foundation's Friends
  • Prodigy (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #4)
  • Isaac Asimov's Caliban (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #1)
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy #1)
  • Prelude to Foundation
  • Robot Visions (Robot 0.5)
  • Refuge (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #5)
  • Perihelion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #6)
  • The Butlerian Jihad (Legends of Dune, #1)
  • Nightfall
  • Inferno (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #2)
  • Changeling (Isaac Asimov's Robot City: Robots and Aliens, #1)
  • Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1)
  • Have Space Suit—Will Travel
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot #1)
  • Foundation (Foundation, #1)

Michael Paul Kube-McDowell's earliest science fiction stories began appearing in magazines such as Amazing, Asimov's, and Analog in 1979. His 1985 debut novel Emprise, the first volume of the Trigon Disunity future history, was nominated for the Philip K. Dick Award. The Quiet Pools, published as a Bantam hardcover in 1990, was a Hugo Award nominee.

In addition to his solo novels, Kube-McDowell has

Isaac Asimov's Robot City (6 books)
  • Suspicion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #2)
  • Cyborg (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #3)
  • Prodigy (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #4)
  • Refuge (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #5)
  • Perihelion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #6)