Start by marking “The Loosening Skin” as Want to Read:
The Loosening Skin

The Loosening Skin

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  46 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When people shed their skin every seven years, it’s just a fact of life that we will cast off all the attachments of our old life. And when our loves are part of us, those memories of love can be bought, if you know the right people.

Introducing the new drug, Suscutin, that will prevent the moult. Now you can keep your skin forever. Now you never need to change who you are.
Published October 22nd 2018 by Unsung Stories

To ask other readers questions about The Loosening Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loosening Skin

really liked it 4.00  ·

Tammy
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: Whiteley cuts to the heart of love in this emotionally powerful futuristic tale, where changing the way you feel about someone is as easy as peeling off your old skin.

Aliya Whiteley writes very odd stories, but now that I’ve read three of her books, I look forward to that “oddness” because her stories all have wonderful layer
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought-2018, sf
I have no idea what to say about this yet, except that I thought it was very good. It’s fragmented, or at least oddly shaped, like a novella that grew an extra limb or two (which, given the acknowledgements, sounds like exactly what happened). This makes it hard to get a handle on: it makes structural and thematic use of its lack of cohesion, its lack of synthesis. I read it avidly though, because it has an ease of movement that I remember from The Arrival of Missives. It isn’t as good as that i ...more
Lulu // RoadsideReader
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2018
Can I just start by saying, if you haven’t read anything by Aliya Whiteley before, do it now. The Loosening Skin by Aliya Whiteley is such a hard hitting novel that reaches you on so many levels. You read the synopsis and think, boy, this is weird, but honestly, it makes the most sense. It feels like what The Time Traveler’s Wife should have been — a more realistic version with much better writing.

In this new dystopian world Whiteley builds, humans shed their skin regularly. When they do, all of
Runalong
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Imagine a world where every few years you aged your skin and became a different person

This is an amazingly thoughtful and unusual story you should give a try from a brilliant writer

Alexander
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cor Blimey.

I love Whiteley’s books, they always give me something to think about. She has an absolute talent for ramming such short books with such astounding ideas, with clear bright delivery that leaves you thinking, thinking, thinking. This book has properly got under my skin and will stay with me for a long time.
Peter Haynes
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an affecting read. From the drawing of the characters to the subtle explanation of the workings of the author's core idea, The Loosening Skin is a forensic yet heartfelt work, which holds up a warped mirror to our wants and needs. Like so many books I love it invites re-reading, once more to admire the fluid yet consistent threading of timeframes into the whole.
Paul
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very occasionally, I’ll read a piece of writing that takes my breath away. It’s rare, but it does happen from time to time; The Language of Dying by Sarah Pinborough immediately springs to mind. The Loosening Skin by Aliya Whiteley has found a place on this very select list. Where Pinborough’s work explores how we view and try to understand death, Whiteley’s work picks apart the nature of love in all its forms.

Rose Allington acts as the narrator of her own story, and this offers insight into her
Izzy
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019
I'm giving this 2.5 stars.
For a book with a message about love, I felt very little love for this book.
This intended to give a meaning to love and what it means to choose love and loose love, but I just wasn't feeling it.
Also the characters didn't feel whole to me. They felt like the lifeless skin layers that where shedded so often in this book.
The main character, Rose, is said to be this person that has a difficult experience with the "loosing of the skin". It is supposed to be instant, she
Doreen
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not love this nearly as much as the book that first introduced Aliya Whiteley's genius to me (The Arrival Of Missives -- go pick it up, it's amazing,) but it was still an incredibly deep and powerful meditation on an important aspect of the human condition, examined through a sci-fi what-if filter. In the case of The Loosening Skin, that aspect is love and the filter is this: humankind moults off its skin every seven years or so, shedding with that skin all manner of prior attachments. Pri ...more
Robert
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can find my review of The Loosening Skin on my book blog, Bastian's Book Reviews.

The Loosening Skin is another very smart, high concept, immersive novel by Aliya Whiteley. She is truly one of the most original talents writing speculative fiction at the moment.

The novel is set in a world where humans shed their skins every few years. And with the skin, they shed something crucial: (romantic & erotic) love. So, every seven or eight or ten years, humans get a complete reset of their emotion
Alex (Hey Little Thrifter)
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading and loving 'The Beauty' and 'Peace, Pipe', I was thrilled to check out Aliya Whiteley's new novel 'The Loosening Skin'.

Told over multiple time periods covering the present, recent past and near future, we learn about a world where humans shed their skin every seven years. This shedding also means the end of any relationships, the skin itself holding onto the memory of love.

We follow Rose, former bodyguard and lover of the superstar Max Black. When Rose shed her skin during their
Jill Johnson
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has a very unique and clever idea at its core. The idea that this is a world where people shed their skin every 7 years and with it the love they feel for the people in their lives at that time. The world this creates is interesting and holds huge potential however, for me the story woven around this idea didn’t quite work. It felt a little formulaic in places (movie star and bodyguard) and in other areas it felt disjointed. The end of the book provides an acknowledgment from the autho ...more
Gareth
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Memory of Love

The story is set in an alternative universe where everything from technology to places are familiar to the reader. Info this world Aliya Whiteley has used to very good effect the detective genre for a well crafted story in two parts.

Part one famous actor Max hires his ex-bodyguard and lover Rose to find his previous shed skins that have been stolen. In part two Mik is trying to find someone for a dying friend. With the moulting of their skin so that person sheds the emotion Love,
Allyson
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very unusual science fiction work that revolves around the concept of love, skin and friendship. In the story humans moult their skins and with this moult they change, yet the skins retain the remembrance of love. With the change, people move on into different types of lives, away from the previous love object, and it is the need to retain this love that people take pills. So the novel explores the transience of love and the need to retain it at a cost, which is the power of a giant pharmaceut ...more
RK
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I could have spent longer in this world and with these characters, which I always think is perhaps the ultimate compliment someone can pay a book? As always with Whiteley's work, I find myself thinking about so many issues around the what-if at the centre of the story- her ideas stick to you and follow you around for a while, making sure that you really digest the world that her characters live in.
Adrian
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
So given this is from the queen of Body Horror (see also The Beauty), I thought this would be much more disgusting than it was given the theme. Which is, every 7 years people shed their skins and some aspects of their life changes, for some people they get hit hard, and it means a complete new start every 7 years. But it's much less horrible and more ambitious than I expected, and I think I enjoyed it more because of that. Reminded me a little of early Iain Banks (no M).
Cate Gardner
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've heard a lot of good things about Aliya's work and after reading The Loosening Skin, I will definitely be hunting down more. An original and interesting premise. The first half of the book was magnificent, the second half good - I lost my way a couple of times in the second half, trying to figure out the change of perspective. Despite that, a definite must read.
Kinsey_m
Feb 28, 2019
Tim Stretton
Dec 15, 2018
Emily Parsons
Feb 24, 2019
Lucie
rated it did not like it
Dec 24, 2018