Start by marking “Scapegoat” as Want to Read:
Scapegoat

Scapegoat

March 29, 1987... For metalheads Mike Rawson, Lonnie Deveroux, and Pork Chop, an RV road trip to Wrestlemania III becomes a one-way ticket to hell. While delivering an illegal shipment of counterfeit wrestling merchandise, an ill-fated shortcut through the Kentucky backwoods leads them to a teenaged girl carved head to toe in arcane symbols. Soon our unlikely heroes are be ...more
Published October 5th 2018 by Honey Badger Press

To ask other readers questions about Scapegoat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scapegoat

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
4.5 stars.

Okay, so I loved the heck outta this book.

It starts off when Mike Rawson decides to go to WrestleMania with his old buds Lonnie and Pork Chop. They show up in Lonnie's cool ride.

Then Mike finds out that Lonnie doesn't have those free 'rasslin tickets in hand but that he will get them after delivering some Hulkamania 'goods' at the event.

You kinda have to know if Pork Chop is dressed in a kilt with no underwear that things are not going to go smoothly for this group. They end up in t
Jeffrey Keeten
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
”A squeal of tires. The roar of an engine. A chugging guitar riff and pounding drums. And above it all: A high-pitched rebel yell, as if the Devil himself had a red-hot grip on the singer’s nuts, and was squeezing them like a stress ball.”

photo Mark20of20the20Devil_zpsqva7irgw.jpg

Before I introduce you to the three metalheads who are, for better or much worse, our gladiatorial heroes of this story, I need to report on something that has just come to my attention. You see the Devil, instead of going to Georgia like he does every humid,
Dan Schwent
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, 2018-comics
Mike Rawson leaves his wife and baby behind for a weekend to go on a road trip to Wrestlemania III with Lonnie, Pork Chop, and Cyndi-from-the-bar. When they take a wrong turn and find a teenage girl with symbols carved into her body, what brand of hell have they gotten into?

Wrestling fiction is hard to come by and Adam Howe and James Newman have written some of the best. When Adam came knocking with Scapegoat, a book written by both of them, I couldn't turn him away.

While wrestling didn't turn o
Char
Set to a rock n roll soundtrack in the 1980's, SCAPEGOAT should appeal to any fan of 80's horror, and 80's hair/metal bands. If these things are your bag, you should just buy this book now and get to reading!

Lonnie, the barely-dressed Cindy, Mike, and Pork Chop are on a road trip in Lonnie's R.V. heading to Wrestlemania 3. Since the guys were in a band,(Wrathbone), together they've drifted apart. Mike has a wife and child now and couldn't be happier. He's only on this trip for a brief vacation a
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

For Lonnie, Mike and Pork Chop this road trip was simply supposed to be a little boys’ getaway and a chance to experience some firsthand . . . .

The beer was flowing, the tunes were playing, the counterfeit easy-shred Hulkamania T’s were ready for selling, there was a tag-a-long hot piece of ass in the form of the local bar fly. They were even riding in style in a Gen.U.Ine. R.V. . . . .

It was great . . . until they ran over a nekk
Janie C.
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was supposed to be a simple road trip. Three guys and one gal in a Coors-laden motorhome (do NOT call it a camper), on their metal tuned journey to Wrestlemania III. What could go wrong? Well, the motorhome might collide with a naked young woman with symbols carved all over her body. There may be a cult with a mission to find this young lady, and these Bible thumpers turn out to be armed and brutal. Things get serious and scary, and before you can say HULKOMANIA, events spin out of control an ...more
Adam Howe
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As with any collaboration, there will be parts of this book that readers may not like... James Newman wrote those parts. ;)
Kimberly
4.5 stars!

SCAPEGOAT is a genre-blending novel co-written by authors Adam howe and James Newman. I went into this one blindly--not even reading the synopsis--and my first reaction when I reached the end of it was an astonished, "Wow!" This novel was simply a non-stop action fest; including laugh out loud comedy, a reunion of unlikely characters, religious zealots, emotions, torture, gore, and things that defy ANY attempt at classification.

". . . There was no reasoning with stupid . . . "

Mike Ra
Bill
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Howe and Newman collaborating together. How cool is that?

And with a goat in the title to boot. This is going to be good. Here we go...

Wrathbone! Back in the saddle. Hell, yeah! Hop on in Jezebel, the ‘75 Vogue Villa Grande and hit the highway for ringside seats at Wrestlemania III. Sweeet!

Only thing that could possibly make this road trip any cooler for the gang would be one of those super sweet drink holder hard hats with the long straws filled with Jack Daniels. And maybe a hot girl-from-the-b
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
4 stars.
🇺🇸🏴☠
Tracy Robinson
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yes! I needed this fun, gory, 80s romp this week. Full review to come for the Sci Fi and Scary website!

When an ebook boasts a badass metal playlist before the first page of the book, YOU LISTEN TO IT. At about 10% in, I chose my favorites from the list, turned it up, and enjoyed the atmosphere.

To begin in ‘Scapegoat’, friends from Mike Rawson’s “wilder” days show up in spectacular fashion – a dirty, smoke-belching RV (it is NOT a camper), a louder than life “bestie”, and plans to “road trip it”
Michael Hicks
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
2018 has been a phenomenal year for reading, with a number of titles already in the running for my best of the year list, but in terms of sheer entertainment value alone Scapegoat will be a hard one to beat.

Adam Howe and James Newman have written one hell of a crackling read here with a story that is all about the escalation of threats. Mike Rawson, Lonnie Deveraux, and Pork Chop are travelling by RV to attend WrestleMania III, accompanied by Cindi the Bar Girl, who just so happens to be way mor
Twerking To Beethoven
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Me stumbling upon this book "So I understand we have three metalheads on a roadtrip to Wrestlemania III in 1987...and one of them goes by the name of Pork Chop, correct? Alrighty, I've got to get my dirty hands on this shit, hoping it doesn't turn out to be an utter load of wank."

Well, it didn't turn out to be a turd of a book, not one bit. "Scapegoat" is a firecracker, a horror novel right up my alley. A super-fun and quick read filled with dirt roads, metal, idiocy and disembowelment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

PS: Pork
John Bender
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If ya want blood...

YOU GOT ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.....

Adam Howe and James Newman want you to bleed for them.

I'm not doing a synopsis. Instead, I'll give you instructions:

Go check out James Newman on social media. Nice guy, writes horrific stuff, general cool dude.

Then go check out Adam Howe. Obviously the PREE-VERT of the bunch.

Then, just go mash a bunch of cool stuff together in a blender, forget about it until it ferments into a heady brew, smelling of...pork chops.... And call it SCAPEGOAT.

Blood
Frank Errington
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review copy

James Newman lives in North Carolina, USA, and Adam Howe makes his home across the Atlantic in England. Thanks to the power of the internet collaborations like this one are possible. The result is both wondrous and wonderful.

So what's Scapegoat about? Well, I'm glad you asked...

For metalheads Mike Rawson , Lonnie Deveroux, and Pork Chop, an RV road trip to Wrestlemania III becomes a one-way ticket to hell. While delivering an illegal shipment of counterfeit wrestling merchandise, an i
David
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
It's all fun and games until a religious nut job turns up. This story went all dark and crazy in a damn hurry. My full review is posted here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1JH
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Irreverent with witty tongue-in-cheek humor, gutsy, and brimming with balls-to-the-wall horror, Scapegoat is the backwoods horror romp I didn’t know I wanted, and all I really have to say is rock the hell on.

Wrestlemania III is the destination. Three metalhead friends are getting back together: two who are stuck in the old days of beer, boobs, and body odor and the other who grew up, got a job, and started a family. A big ole motor home along with boxes of illicit goods are going to get them to
Kristy
4.5 stars!!!
Niki Mackay
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘March 29, 1987... For metalheads Mike Rawson, Lonnie Deveroux, and Pork Chop, an RV road trip to Wrestlemania III becomes a one-way ticket to hell.’
This is literally the funnest book I’ve read for ages. Mike, Lonnie and Pork Chop embark on a road trip accompanied by Cindi the bar girl. It starts to go seriously wrong after a drug and booze fuelled episode which finds them lost. When they run over a naked woman whose been beaten up and has the seven deadly sins carved into her skin, things go fr
Rachel Drenning
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yessss! I loved everything about this book. 80s like horror. Fun read. Creepy. My kind of book. Definitely a favorite for me.
Robert Bose
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark, supernatural
Adam Howe and James Newman make a great team and this book is a hell of a lot of dark, dreadful fun.
Sherry Fundin
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay….Here we go on another wildassed adventure.

A house on wheels, three mangy rednecks and a Wrestlemania road trip. I feel nothing can go wrong. ‘as I chuckle under my breath’

Some men never grow up, and Mike’s friends, Lonnie and Pork Chop are a perfect example.

They decide to take a shortcut and I know nothing good can come of that, but I sure am eager to find out what kind of trouble they find. They, literally, run into the “goat”, causing a crazy band of vicious, coldblooded cultists to chas
Angela Crawford
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Prepare yourself for a rip-roaring trip through the End of Days as seen through the eyes of three white trash heroes. This book was a ton of fun to read! I was cracking up at the antics of Mike Rawson, Lonnie Deveroux, and Pork Chop, as they try to get to WrestleMania 3 with a load of counterfeit merchandise. The ending had a twist that blew me away! Highly recommended!
thebonebreaker
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Adam Howe's work. (He has never written a bad book!) If you have read his stories before, then you know how difficult it is to peg him into one genre. This is not a problem with this book. This one is straight-up horror! (No need to worry though, as there are still plenty of Howe's signature twisted moments of humor.)

As for Newman, I had not yet read anything by him, though his name has been on my radar (I own Odd Man Out, I just haven't read it yet - that's going to change.)

T
Marc Tams
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dude gets dragged into one last road trip with his old metal band, encounters with insane doomsday cult ensue, plus monsters of biblical proportions.

Scapegoat could be summed up that easily. However, Scapegoat is so much more than that.

Scapegoat is the lines of interference on the 22 inch telly as you desperately try to adjust the tracking on the VCR. Scapegoat is those car chases you watched when you were 13 that made your blood sing. Scapegoat is the horror that you remember from that time (o
Frederic
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was very lucky to get an early look at this one from Adam Howe, and James Newman. I finished it over a few nights, and I had an enormous amount of fun with the thing. It’s kind of like Judgement Night meets Race with the Devil along the backroads of my native Kentucky. There is plenty of humor, and cult action to be found in this fast paced Wrestlemania-bound tour of hell. There’s even a bit of cosmic horror thrown into the mix.

I really don’t want to say too much for fear of spoiling things,
A.M.G.
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Rated 18+ (for someone with a strong stomach)
Rating: 4.4 / 5

So....ahem, some notes. All of the quotes that I have outlined throughout my reading process are examples of lighthearted moments in an otherwise dark and twisted story. I'll just outline them in bold throughout my review for some lighthearted moments in an otherwise morbid commentary on an unconventional book full of...well, things that go more than "bump" in the night.

"We ain't got time for this, man. I'm telling you, it was Bambi's mother. It makes you feel any better, I'll mak
Cedar Hollow Horror Reviews
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm familiar with Adam Howe and James Newman's work, and I know what they are compable of. I also know they're both wrestling fans. I'm a huge 80s and 90s wrestling fan. So, when I started reading SCAPEGOAT, I thought I was going to be ring side at Wrestlemania III. You know, the one where Hulk Hogan body slams Andre the Giant, sending Hulkamania into a frenzy. But I got an even better experience than that with SCAPEGOAT. An experience only Howe and Newman can concoct.

Three friends, Mike Rawson
Lance Dale
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a fun ride! Heavy metal, 80s wrestling, and crazy cults!? The chefs who prepared this recipe of awesomeness did an amazing job. This book has the perfect mix of horror and humor and you will not want to put it down.
Mark Allen
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, kindle
If you're looking for a nice, safe, languidly-paced, life-affirming read to help you escape from the dark horrors of the world ... well, this ain't it. 'Cause this sucker will leave scars on your eyeballs, folks. Howe and Newman ain't playin'. Warn your friends and hide your puppies.

Despite the moments of outrageous, "oh-no-he-didn't" humor--an Adam Howe trademark--this is ferocious, FUBAR horror fiction that goes for the jugular with its teeth bared. It reads like a cross between "Judgment Nigh
« previous 1 3 next »
Adam Howe writes the twisted fiction your mother warned you about. A British writer of fiction and screenplays, he lives in London with his partner, their daughter, and a hellhound named Gino. Writing as Garrett Addams, his short story Jumper was chosen by Stephen King as the winner of the international On Writing contest, and published in the paperback/Kindle editions of King’s memoir. His fictio ...more