Start by marking “The Rip” as Want to Read:
The Rip

The Rip

'It's funny how quick it happens and without you really noticing. Anton said once that it's like walking out into the sea, and you think everything's fine and the water's warm, but when you turn back you're suddenly miles from shore. I've never been much of a swimmer, but I get what he means. Like, being caught in a current or something. A rip.'

A young woman, living on the
Published February 26th 2019 by Hachette Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Rip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rip

Cass Moriarty
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mark Brandi’s debut Wimmera was one of my favourite crime novels of 2017, and while Brandi’s new book The Rip (Hachette Australia Books 2019) in many ways (particularly setting) couldn’t be more different, what it has in common with Wimmera is the unique voice and perspective of its young protagonist, and a simple plot that takes us forward step by step with a sense of creeping menace and dread.
The Rip is set in gritty inner-city Melbourne and opens with a short prologue: a record of an intervie
Roy
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this in a sitting. Its very short but packs a punch with its dark themes. Its definitely a character study on addiction, homelessness but also friendship. I just didnt feel like the plot was all that engaging. It needed some more depth. It was an overly simple plot as well. However this isnt a novel that relies on its plot to deliever the story.
Theresa Smith Writes
‘People can surprise you sometimes, but not usually. Most of the time, people act exactly as you’d expect.’

Having not read Wimmera, I had no preconceived notions of what to expect from Mark Brandi, although, perusing reviews of The Rip by readers who have read both of his novels tells me that he’s rather mercurial, in that these two novels are quite different to each other. He’s certainly a talent that I am keen to watch out for and I’ll be digging Wimmera out from the depths of my TBR sooner ra
Laura Wells
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The characters were well rounded and I loved the relationship between the main character and her dog. I liked the insight into homelessness in Melbourne. It felt unfinished to me. Just when it could’ve been this fantastic climax, it just skips to a future where everything has a conclusion but I felt it could’ve really delved into those conclusions much more. In my point of view, it could easily had another hundred pages to really finish off those characters storyline’s. The ending felt rushed.
Brenda Kittelty
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From rural noir to inner-city grit, this book is a huge departure from Wimmera. It’s excellent from start to finish, drawing you inexorably into the introspective world of the narrator. We’re up close and personal with her every step of the story. Marvellous writing, absolutely marvellous.
Ruth
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have strong opposing feelings about this book.

I loved the writing style. It is both meandering and plot driven at the same time, something that I imagine is incredibly hard to do and which Mark Brandi excels at. The characters - particularly the narrator - were so complete, so complex, that they felt fundamentally real to me throughout the book. It's a beautiful book and one that I'm sure will stay with me.

For a book that's essentially about homelessness and drug abuse in Australia I felt that
Jay Dwight
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A hypnotic read.

A character driven novel, with homelessness and drug abuse underpinning the life of our narrator.

Complex characters who feel very real, this is a dark tale.

Despite the bleakness of these themes to most of us, our lead character doesn’t overly focus on the negatives of her life – it just is what it is and she deals with whatever comes her way.
rob
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rarely has book grabbed my emotions and held them in a vice like this one.

There is a short prologue, clearly a snippet of a police interview, that is just enough to alert the reader that somewhere in the story someone has gone missing.

The rest of the tale is told in the first person by a homeless young female drug addict. We only discover in the last chapter that her name is Danielle. She has a close platonic male friend Anton and the real love of her life, a bull terrier called Sunny. Anton is
Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)
‘It’s funny how quick it happens and without you really noticing. Anton said once that it’s like walking out into the sea, and you think everything’s fine and the water’s warm, but when you turn back you’re suddenly miles from shore. I’ve never been much of a swimmer, but I get what he means. Like, being caught in a current or something. A rip.’

Author Mark Brandi made a stunning debut with Wimmera and The Rip proves that this guy is a real talent when it comes to character-driven Australian tale
Melissa Morris
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book, although I thought it was a little slow to start. I did, however, consider the fact that maybe that is how life is when you live on the street and you're a drug user. Overall, I found the book to be a good read and one that I liked to have in my hands :-)
Pam Tickner
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. The subject matter of the book, homelessness, drug abuse, ways to fund a drug habit, were all pretty uncomfortable reading. A well crafted, character driven story, that presents a snapshot of life on the streets of Melbourne.
Nola Barnard
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How did Mr.Brandi manage to write a book with so much darkness in it ,which also managed to show so much light ? I really cared about these characters ,as indeed I had about the characters in "Wimmera".It is as if he is writing about people who he actually knows. I love the fact that the protagonist is completely nonselfpitying. I also freak out every time there is a pet ,as I spend the rest of the book worrying about what is going to happen to it: this was no exception ! Fabulous book and a mus ...more
Dee Maguire
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful, sensitive book about life on the streets, the struggles and simplicity. So insightful. You cannot help but want everything to work out for the ever optimistic and observant narrator. But with the tight thread of anticipation and suspense, you cannot be assured that everything is going to be alright ....
Julie Garner
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, fiction
I received an advanced reading copy of this book.
As I mentioned with Mark's previous book, his writing is well crafted and executed. This is another dark tale of Australian people but I didn't feel it pull me to the depths like Wimmera.
Our narrator tells us her tale of what we would call homelessnes but she does not. To her, where her bed, her friend and her dog are is home. It is more a story about a woman caught in a rip and sometimes swimming against the tide. It is how just one lapse can see
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
My View:
Mark Brandi has a special talent, a super power, he is able to insert poignant, authentic characters into his narratives that tell urban, contemporary stories that have great social impact. Subtle yet powerful, what an amazing voice he and his characters have.

Bravo! Encore!

What’s next Mark? I can’t wait to find out.

Kate Downey
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mark Brandi’s new novel The Rip invites us into a world that is, to say the least, unsavoury. For many like me, I expect, this will be a foray into a universe that is totally alien. You need a guide and Brandi is sure-footed and he neither blinks nor looks away. Set in the environment of the Melbourne homeless, the addicts, the directionless, the violent, the survivors, Brandi almost ficto-documents the experiences of one young woman living on the streets or in squats, in the company of a faithf ...more
Jenny
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A writer has entered our literary landscape with two outstanding novels. Firstly Wimmera which was an incredible book - the simmering undercurrent that ran through that book still gets to me. And now we have The Rip, although quite different, Brandi's slow deliberate use of words sets the pace for another unsettling but unputdownable read. I love how Brandi can bring you into every scene like you are sitting opposite the characters - the sounds, the smells, the language, the fear and the optimis ...more
Jodie Warner
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well I devoured this in a few sittings, listening to it as an audio book narrated by Tamala Shelton who was excellent.
This is Mark Brandi’s second novel, his first, Wimmera, was highly acclaimed; dark and confronting.

This, The Rip, was also excellent but finished so abruptly that it had me checking to see if I’d accidentally skipped chapters or if they hadn’t downloaded correctly. Alas, it flashes forward and really does skip the climax of the story! Did you run out of time Mark? What happened?
Julie
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I really enjoyed Mark's first book, Wimmera.
The rip came out with much fanfare and hype. I got sucked in, went out and bought it instead of waiting until my local library got it in (like I usually do).
I was disappointed.
It's not a bad book per say but I think my expectations were very much skewed high because of the hype surrounding the books release.
The story was predictable from very early on and the characters needed further development as they felt fairly two dimensional. The
Melissa
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this in one sitting on my day off. This is a beautifully written story that really shows the human beings behind addiction. As someone who lives in Melbourne being able to picture the characters as they travel along with Sunny through the streets of Melbourne was an added bonus, the places all so familiar. The book is told in first person narrative through the young woman's eyes (whose name you don't find out until the end) and as a narrative. So many human moments and the eloquent simpli ...more
Cas
Initial thoughts: The Rip is a compelling story about a young woman who is swept into a world of highs and lows, living in a world constantly looking down on her. Set in Melbourne, Australia, Mark Brandi tells an all too common narrative which intends for readers to think about how one might get enticed by drugs and never leave the cycle again. For the most part I really enjoyed this book but there were parts of it that didn't quite make sense to me.
———————————————————
~I received a physics ARC f
Trish
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've read another Australian novel. What the?!

But I have recently read Wimmera and when I saw that Mark had another one out, I gave it a go.

A fairly short novel, but he's packed a very interesting, thoughtful, story of the underbelly of drugs and homelessness in Australia - with very human protagonists.

Worrying, a little scary, sad and hopeful - and human caring within a life of fear, danger and non-acceptance.

A good read.
Lisa Bacon-hall
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I was some what disappointed with this story. It lacked depth to me and it didn’t really engage me. I did find the story of drug abuse, homelessness and being judged because of these things rang true with me. Makes me rethink my judgements and remember they are real people probably doing the best they can.
Bibliophile Lisa
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book moved me in many ways. It very well could have been my life story except I took another turn at a pivotal point and saved my soul.

Brilliantly written, poignant yet somehow beautiful. A must read.
katrina
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me up all night, but it was worth it!

The author humanised Homelessness which so grounded in this materialist, self indulgent society.

People fall, make mistakes, there are so many reasons why.

I loved the emotional empathy evoked in Dani, thank you.

Well Done!
Tom Evans
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The perfect read for by the pool in summer. It's always great to read a gripping book by an Australian author set in one of our cities, and Brandi has achieved that with "the rip", due for release in March.
Dasha M
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Suspenseful, poignant and empathetic. A book both tragic and thrilling.
Kate Brett
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Not sure how I feel about the many unanswered questions at the end...
Maja Kukler