Start by marking “The Echo of Broken Dreams (After The Rift #2)” as Want to Read:
The Echo of Broken Dreams (After The Rift #2)

The Echo of Broken Dreams

(After The Rift #2)

When a palace maid is attacked, Josie and the captain of the guards investigate together. Since one of the suspects is a foreign diplomat and magic expert, they use the opportunity to learn more about sorcery. But it soon becomes clear that he is using them to get to the truth about the palace and the servants' origins.

With unrest in the village, and servants growing imp
Published December 4th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Echo of Broken Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Echo of Broken Dreams

Start your review of The Echo of Broken Dreams (After The Rift #2)
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
****4.25 Mysterious Stars****

We still don't get answers in this 2nd book of the series and it kills me each time the Captain has second thoughts about Josie and we have to start their growing relationship all over again.

With this book we still have the current story of the Palace and it's inhabitants but we have a new mystery unfolding. So, in reality you are getting a story inside of a bigger story.

Can't wait till the next book is released next month!
Alexandra G.
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it

*Happy sigh.
This is quickly becoming one of my favorite series. The story is intriguing and full of mystery, the world-building is amazing and the characters! . I freaking love them. Even the ones that I'm supposed to hate. How weird is that?

Since this is the third series by this author that I absolutely adore, it's safe to say that I will pretty much read anything she'll write.

So, why not full five stars? Because, while the book was good and I enjoyed the hell out of it, it felt like the story was ki
Erin
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, magic, 2019
description

This series is so good! Where has it been hiding?????

The story is about Josie, a midwife who is the daughter of a village doctor. A few months ago a huge palace was built near her small village in just a few weeks without anyone seeing any builders. Some say it was magic, but Josie is skeptical. This second book takes off right from the previous one, sending Josie on more adventures and mystery all tied to the palace.

SPOILERS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Okay, I did like the first one a little bit better. The entire mystery of the people and magic really br
Mari (Smut Duchess)
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A maid has been raped and Josie and Dane begin to investigate. During the investigation others are attacked. Josie spent a lot of time going from the village to the palace and back again. She does quite a bit of eaves dropping. No real progress was made on the mystery of the palace or the people who lost their memories. I thought it was a bit slow at times. It also seemed unrealistic that Josie is consistently in the right place to overhear pertinent gossip. I hope that the next book reveals mor ...more
L.J. Evans
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series as much as I love CJ Archer. She's made another great cast of characters that you question, adore, and want to fight for. She has the romance burning slowly. She has magic and social commentary. The covers of the books in this series kind of speak to the books themselves. Regal yet moody. Beautiful yet lonely. Soulful and creative. Fantastical yet real.

I'm a teeny, tiny bit disappointed that it ended where it did. Thank goodness there is a book three coming in the
heidi
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it
TJ
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Still a great magical mystery set in historic times! While the secondary plot-line, that of who is attacking women, is wrapped up by the end of the book - the overall arc of the main magic mystery, as well as the romance, went absolutely no where. Both are much the same when the last page turns as they were when the first page opened.

I’ll keep reading because the characters are wonderfully engaging and the storyline really is intriguing. BUT, there needs to be some progress in the main points o
Lynne Shear
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the After The Rift series and it is wonderful, I couldn't put it down.
In this installment, you really get to know the characters, their personalities start to come through and they come alive, of course this is enhanced by C.J's witt, humour, compassion and emotion which seeps into every conversation in this fabulous book. This is an engrossing tale, and the pace picks up as this book unfolds. There are a few different plot lines moving fluidly through this adventure,
Michelle Fritz PA
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Josie and Hammer are back and the intrigue has changed gears. With more and more suspecting magic has been applied, things are getting more invloved and more hetic with everyone looking for clues. Josie finds herself right in the middle of plotting lords, criminal types and ladies that require her time. We see a closeness between Josie and Dane which ebbs and flows. I so want to see some of the minor characters find love. I cannot wait for the next book to release!! This is one magical mystery t ...more
Leisel
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mystery historical romance

Simply put CJ Archer at her finest. This is the second book in a series and again not a disappointment in the way she can tell a story. The story picks up from where the major female character, Josie continues on with her journey into life within the palace and it's royal court of King Leon and his nobles. What makes the story so intriguing is the inclusion of magic, but no one really knows if it's true or not. Great characters you will both love and love to hate and
Sherry
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I know there are at least three books in this series so far. this is the second and takes up literally days after the first story ends. I'm a little put out that this series could be one book....I don't understand why it's split. It is a mystery and I want to find out the answer so I keep reading (already started the third book but I'm afraid it's not the last).
I like the story but I'm not entranced with the love interest/tension between the two main characters. There is too much of it and it i
Nicki Scrivener
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book in the series, perhaps even a little more enjoyable then the first. Well written and it dug a little deeper into the mystery of the palace and its servants, thereby keeping you engaged.

It was nice to have a little heat and suspense between Josie and Hammer, though it would have been even better if there were a few chapters as Hammer's POV towards the end (to ignite the fire a little more between Hammer and Josie).

But overall a really great book and it w
Sarah Hamilton
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Curious Fantasy World

I'm really beginning to enjoy the characters, world, and mystery of CJ Archer's newest series. Josie is an independent, strong female lead trying to navigate a world that has drastically changed in a relatively short time (both personally and on a larger scale). Very curious to see how this fantasy world evolves, especially as new pieces of the puzzle that is the mysterious new palace and those people inside start to fit together.
Kelsey Bedolli
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable follow up to The Palace of Lost Memories, although I don't understand how the title relates to the story. The characters are confronted with the reality and moral implications of their memory loss: work with what they have and move on with their lives, or keep everything on hold in hopes of regaining memories so that they can do right by those they probably left behind? But there isn't really a sense of "broken dreams" to any of it, except that Josie and Hammer want to mov ...more
Eliza Jones
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first one!

The kiss was so worth waiting for! And while I understand Dane's reasoning, I still hope he'll change his mind in the next book. There are so many unsavory characters in degrees of creepiness that you can't guess who might be responsible until the end when Josie herself figures it out.
M
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
The book is decent but honestly it’s so slow-paced it can be rather irritating. The whole contents of this book and the first book could have been condensed into one instalment instead of trying to drag the series into a trilogy. Hopefully the last book gets to the point more. I want to know if I was on the right track or if there’ll be any plot twists.
Nina Ann
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series

Once again CJ Archer doesn’t disappoint. An excellent book. Entertaining read. I can’t wait for the third book, although here’s to hoping for a bit less of a cliffhanger next time. At this rate I think it’ll be 9 books before any questions are answered with anything less than more questions.
Karina Conkrite
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, september-2019
This didn't feel like a complete story, rather like the middle exposition chapters between the beginning adventure and the climax point of one larger story. I get that it's part of a trilogy, but each part should be able to stand alone as a tale. That said, having waded through the first two, I will finish the last book in the series.
Susan Groves
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really liked this book. It progressed on both the underlying mystery and the relationships whilst having its own internal plot. It’s slightly darker than the previous book but still gently with a comedic side.
Love the main characters and this book has brought in a few more, equally as entertaining.
Can’t wait for the rest of the series.
Tisha Vogt
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cannot Believe I Have to Wait!

I simply cannot believe that I finished and now have to wait! It’s Christmas and I want MORE! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series! Beautiful words have created a stunning world and rich, engrossing characters. I am in love with Ms. Cully and her Hammer!
Hana
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
Again, fast-paced, brilliantly written, with a case to solve and mystery to unravel. Josie and Dane are getting closer but not close enough, women are being raped and there is a man who might know something about magic. The ending had me looking forward to reading next book and hopefully, everything will be solved. It's getting frustrating...
Wendy Fox
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Good Beginning, Disappointing Ending

Of all the many series books I’ve read, they’ve all had an ending with an opening for the next one. This series just abruptly stops. They are not stand alone books and that is disappointing and frustrating.
Anna
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I whizzed through this book and thoroughly enjoyed every second. I wish the individual books felt more complete, it’s good to be wanting more but the story arch is extreme in its subtly and feels more like eeking out the story than a book in its own right.
Jen
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
The writing remains sharp and I love the characters, especially the friendship between Josie and the various female characters. I could have done without the sexual attacks being the main plot line so I’m looking forward to the new plot when the third book comes out.
Heather
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great second book

Great second book in the series. However the main issues presented in the blurb do not play a prominent role. Awesome job by the author though. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Kim
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
The first entry in this series was solid if not remarkable. This second book adds practically nothing new to the story or overarching mystery. It was very boring and dragged on interminably.

I was originally planning to continue on with the series, but may decide to stop here instead.
Bookish Serendipity Shannon williamson
Great read!

I need the next one pronto. This book was so good! I love Josie and Dane, and I can’t wait to see what comes next!
Kourtnie Joi
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pam McCallister
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Helen Weale
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loving the series

Another fabulous read from Archer. Loved it and cannot wait to read more in the series. So well written and I love all of the characters

• Awakening (Return of the Elves, #6)
  • Newly Wed and Slightly Dead (A Touch of Magic Mysteries #1)
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles, #1)
  • House of the Rising Nun (Nun of Your Business Mysteries, #3)
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • Into the Hourglass (The Evermore Chronicles, #2)
  • Nessy's Locket (Artifact Hunters, #5)
  • Voice of Command (The Spoken Mage, #2)
  • Voice of Power (The Spoken Mage, #1)
  • The Confectioner's Guild (The Confectioner Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragon Tear (Agents of the Crown #5)
  • Voice of Dominion (The Spoken Mage, #3)
  • A Lady's Fairytale Come True: A Historical Regency Romance Book
  • Murder in Black Tie
  • Reign of Mist (Book of Sindal Book Two)
  • The Confectioner's Coup (Confectioner Chronicles, #2)
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • Horizon Divided (Beneath, #2)
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two. She spent her early childhood in the dramatic beauty of outback Queensland, Australia, but now lives in suburban Melbourne with her husband, two children and a mischievous black & white cat named Coco.

While she has written historical romance in the pa

After The Rift (3 books)
  • The Palace of Lost Memories (After the Rift #1)
  • The Whisper of Silenced Voices (After The Rift #3)
“With his back to me, he said, "It's best if we both forget what happened." "Of course. For the best." I didn't sound convincing but he seemed satisfied with my response. I watched him ride off with a hundred different responses running through my head and a thousand regrets piercing my heart.” 0 likes