Start by marking “Iron (Kalima Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Iron (Kalima Chronicles #1)

Iron

(Kalima Chronicles #1)

Kalima, an Earth-colony world with little iron ore and no fossil fuels, is entrenched in a peaceful feudal society. The Jundom of Mamalakah is ruled by the ambitious Hanna Zah-Hill, wife of the Jun First. Deep in debt, she wants technological progress. But Mistress Li, leader of the Xintou House, prefers to keep the status quo. And has the power to do so.
When Alere Connor
Kindle Edition
Published October 28th 2018 by Computing Advantages & Training P/L (first published May 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Iron, please sign up.
Aiki Flinthart Absolutely - (sorry for the delayed reply. Only just saw this). FIRE and STEEL will be out in the first half of 2019, all things going to plan. Thanks…moreAbsolutely - (sorry for the delayed reply. Only just saw this). FIRE and STEEL will be out in the first half of 2019, all things going to plan. Thanks for asking!(less)

Start your review of Iron (Kalima Chronicles #1)
Michael Snoswell
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aiki Flinthart has created a fantasy word of incredible depth, populated by real characters that you care about right from the beginning. The story begins with Alere, a young woman in a simple setting. Like all good fantasy stories though, things becomes more complex, characters are added, the story twists and yet Flinthart brings the reader along every step with an every expanding plotline and believable characters who grow in depth as the story reveals more.

The tension builds to a crescendo wi
Veronica Strachan
Starts with a great first line.
Good world building, interesting characters, sharp prose. All the elements of an engaging read.
Finishes with you wanting more...
Shelley Nolan
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I have read one of Aiki Flinthart’s books, but it will definitely not be the last. It started with a bang and set a cracking pace throughout the rest of the story. I was initially a little lost with all the unfamiliar terms, as the people of Kalima speak English interspersed with Mandarin and Arabic words, but soon got caught up in the story. Much like Alere gets caught up in events she has no control over and must go on the run to have any hope of surviving the looming wa ...more
Kira
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy, ya
I picked up Iron as part of a monthly book club read for March. The world building of Kalima is fantastic. Seven hundred years after the arrival of the first colonists, humans have adapted to survive in a world without iron. This changes the way these people move about, and the weapons they use to fight. There are other metals in abundance, such as copper, but they haven’t allowed for the industrialisation which could have occurred if iron was present. An iron deposit is essentially a hidden tre ...more
Val Clark
A rollicking good read. Original and carefully constructed world. Believable and relatable three-dimensional characters. Skilful handling of a well-crafted story! One of those books you suddenly find you can't put down. All the things I look for in a fantasy novel. Looking forward to reading book 2.
Carleton Chinner
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of believable fantasy that provides breathtaking glimpses of another world, and Iron certainly did not disappoint. Alere Connor, the main character, lives in a feudal kingdom founded centuries ago by settlers from distant Earth. Iron is terribly scarce on this world and the settlers have used this to create a society that avoids full-scale war at all costs. For most of the first half, the plot will keep you guessing as Alere’s life takes one unpredictable turn after another. After ...more
Rebecca Nolan
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Iron by Aiki Flinthart is an exceptionally well written fantasy novel that draws you into a world of action and life like characters, making it hard to put down. I read this book in one day because I couldn’t put it down. Alere is a vivacious and determined character who faces some incredible challenges. For a main character I really admired her strength and depth Aiki Flinthart has given her. The way the fight scenes were written made me feel like I was right there in the thick of the action.

A
Dion Perry
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
An Earth colony has established a society on another planet. A world without iron, it is forced into a type of bronze age that becomes quasi-feudal with a strong martial arts influence. Without iron, technology is limited, as are the weapons of war. But there is iron in the form of a buried meteor. The rulers will go to all lengths to get it and if they do then they will have the means to create iron weapons including guns. Few know about the iron, and even fewer can prevent war.

Iron has its roo
Austin Sheehan
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The next Aussie Speculative Fiction book I'm reviewing is IRON by Aiki Flinthart. As well as being a wonderful writer, Brisbane-based Flinthart is an archer, a martial artist, a painter, a musician, runs a business, and manages to find room for her family too.

IRON is a sci-fi story that reads like an action-packed fantasy, and it blew me away. The story is set on Kalima, a human colony on a far-flung planet, cut off from Earth. And Kalima's history means it is short on one very important resour
Jo Sparrow
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Warning! Do not read this book before you go to bed, as you’ll spend a near sleepless night thrashing around sword fighting and reading minds. Yes, it is THAT kind of book! The kind that lights up the senses as you wander around empires that feel so real, you can taste iron on your tongue.

Flinthart is a masterful world builder who has created the mythical Kalima, a colony world without mineable iron. Imagine that?! Flinthart’s geological credentials shine through as she deftly envisions how a so
Barnesm
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the centuries since earth settled and abandoned the resource-poor colony world of Kalima, its society has changed into Chinese/Korean semi-feudal society. Ruled by houses, where the bonds of family and role dictate a life of service and position.

When her poor skills as a telepath deny her planned future Alere Connor is chosen by Mistress Li of her house as a tool to seek the secrets of the ruling Jun Radan Zah-Hill. His death seemingly by her handset in motion the discovery of a great store
Kaye
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ONE SPINE TINGLING READ!!!
Wow! Talk about walking blind. Man, if you're looking for an action packed, fast paced, hard hitting, nailbiting, spine tingling, heart pounding, pulse racing, adrenaline pumping, page turning bombshell that grabs your attention from the start and holds it right until the last word. Congrats my friends you've found it. All the drama, intrigue, deceit, betrayal, lies, uncertainty, danger and suspense increases steadily as the tension spirals while the plot thickens. Twis
Elaina
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my second read and review for IRON, this being the second edition. I loved it even more than the first read!

Firstly, the mixture of cultures and languages (English, Chinese, Arabic) makes this an adventure. Seriously, every cuss word in another language here was spot on – I knew exactly what the character meant without actually knowing what the word itself was, and that is simply brilliant. Kudos to the author!

Secondly, this is an actual adventure that kept me turning virtual pages. The
Irene S
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had me riveted almost from the very beginning. Since Alere is not able to practice telepathy, she is being trained to serve the High King Radan, in another capacity. Kett, her constant companion and protector, has trained her to protect herself. When Radan dies soon after she meets him, Alere flees his kingdom to save her life and to prevent war. In her travels, Alere will meet other people who help her. I don't want to spoil the book by describing the story further. I received a free ...more
Nikki
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is full of characters and at times it can be difficult to keep track of who all the people are. The language includes Mandarin and Arabic words. Most can be worked out through context, but it can slow the reading down while you work out the meaning. There were also a few odd point-of-view changes and I personally would have preferred staying with Alere's POV for the whole story.
If none of the above bothers you, you should love this book. The world was well-developed and the characters
Jem McCusker
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished Iron, my first book of Aiki Flinthart's. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Aiki builds her characters as masterfully as she builds the wold of Kalima. The story draws you in immediately and from page to page you can never guess what will happen next but the one thing you are guaranteed is kick ass fight scenes, engaging characters and a world so real that you can close your eyes and picture yourself there.
For any young adult readers eager to bite into a novel with
Catherine Elderhorst
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is NOT what I was expecting. Sure, it's the sort of thing that young adults like. Sure, it's the sort of thing that Fantasy fans like. But it is not the fluffy, bubblegum variety of young adult fantasy. It's more... so much more. The characters are engaging and relatable - (Except Kett, but he's meant to be enigmatic!), and the whole book is packed with action, intrigue, and plot twists that keep you guessing right to the end. I mean that literally. Waiting for book 2 of the Kalima Chr ...more
Cl Cooper
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible world this writer catapults you into. You can’t help but be drawn into the world and it’s characters as the writing pulls you along an exciting and detailed journey. I wanted to know more, and was eager to read each page. I highly recommend this book, and can’t wait to dive into this authors other work. I was given a free copy of this book for review purposes. This is my honest review.
Bigbear Woolliscroft
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This is probably one of the best fantasy/sci-fi books I read this year. The world is well constructed, with good characterisations and a complex story line.

I am looking forward to the next volume.
Sharon Miller
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again Aiki Flint delivers a character-driven fantasy that wraps it tendrils around your imagination and draws you in until you are a part of the world. I received this book for free from eBook Discovery. I voluntarily review this book. This is my honest review.
Nora Reeves
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story doesn't lack action at all. Great, well developed characters with stories that mix together beautifully to keep those pages turning. It's a must read. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Caitlyn McPherson
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
IRON is an epic adventure that I'm not soon to forget! Flinthart has masterfully woven her complex characters into a world that feels real enough to touch. This is a must read for fans of Suzanne Collins and Sarah J Maas
Catherine Thompson
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good storyline!

the characters, the wisdom, the story is amazing, you just cant stop reading. it is tough,heart wrenching, laugh out loud kind of book
Tarran
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Fast paced, the storytelling kept me wanting to read more.

Loved the characters, and the growth they showed.

Highly recommend
Shannon
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story that is set in a rich, detailed world that catches your imagination from the very first chapter. The characters are well thought out and very well written.
Jan-Andrew Henderson
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is world building on a truly epic scale, combined with a fast paced adventure story. Highly recommended
Megan O'Leary
Oct 30, 2018
Torfinn Ingolfsen
Aug 07, 2020
Ioana Dumitrescu
Nov 21, 2018
Matthew Morrison
Nov 20, 2018
Australian Specul...: Book Club Read: Iron by Aiki Flinthart (March 2019) 3 8 Apr 10, 2019 08:04PM

• Lady Jessica, Monster Hunter: Heart of the Empire
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 3: Triton (Spinward Fringe, #3)
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • The Phoenix Conspiracy
  • The Phoenix Rising (The Phoenix Conspiracy, #2)
  • The Phoenix Crisis (The Phoenix Conspiracy, #3)
  • The Phoenix Darkness (The Phoenix Conspiracy, #5)
  • Jade (Book of Deacon Sidequests, #1)
  • The Phoenix Reckoning (The Phoenix Conspiracy, #6)
  • We Have Met the Enemy (Lovelace Series #1)
  • The Box
  • Blue Monday (Frieda Klein, #1)
  • Faking a Murderer
  • Cleaning the Gold (Jack Reacher, #23.6; Will Trent, #8.5)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Songlines (The Sentinels of Eden, #1)
  • One Step Behind
  • The Expendable Few: A Spinward Fringe Novel
Aiki lives in Brisbane, Australia, with her husband, (Ernest), teenage son (Leonidis - not their real names, obviously), aging dog and directionally-challenged fish.
In between being a wife, running a business full-time and helping Leonidis with homework, she squeezes in a few hobbies, including:
Martial arts, painting, writing, reading, bellydancing and playing three or four musical instruments. Oc

Kalima Chronicles (3 books)
  • Fire (Kalima Chronicles, #2)
  • Steel (Kalima Chronicles #3)